Chapter 18

My Best Friend's Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Do you mind if I asked you to wait?]

“Can’t I?” Hongbin started to whispered. “I know I may not be as cool and great as him. Even it’s impossible, but... can’t I replace him in your heart?”

Eunji’s eyes widened and she could not find any words to reply his sudden confession. She already knew that it would happen, sooner or later, because Lee Hongbin was treating her so well during these days. But, she still could not make any decision, because she still had a heart toward Jung Taekwoon.

“I know it’s too surprising for you, and I knew that you can’t still forget him till now,” Hongbin looked at her with sad eyes. “But at least… I can love you better than him…”

Eunji looked down at her feet and tried to avoid his gaze. She knew for sure that Lee Hongbin was not throwing a joke in such conditions and she surely knew that he was being serious right now.

A pregnant silence suddenly built between them. Hongbin noticed Eunji’s awkwardness, then he let his hand to cupped her face and made Eunji suddenly looked up. Still with his sad eyes, Hongbin wipe the tears that had fallen in her face earlier.

“Please stop to waste your tears like this. Your face is not beautiful anymore when you cried. You looked so ugly, you know?”

Eunji suddenly broke to tears again, and it was harder than before. Hongbin startled then he immediately pulled her into a hug.

“Eunji-ya, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you. Sshh… Don’t cry, don’t cry, okay?” he shushed her.

But it was a waste, because her sobs were getting clearer.

“Oh God please… Stop yourself from crying, Ji. If my sudden confession was burdening you, please just forget it. We can still be friends like we used to, don’t take it seriously, okay?” Hongbin tightened his embrace. It was always painful for him to see her breaking down. But, what could he do?

***

 

“Good morning!” Chorong beamed as she walked out from Eunji’s room. “Eunji-ya, where are you?” She had spent her night on her friend’s home, and when she woke up at the morning, she didn’t find Eunji beside her.

“Eun---“ she immediately cupped with her palms, right when she arrived in the living room. “Omo, omo, what had just happened here?!” she screamed in amazement because she suddenly saw Eunji was sleeping on the couch, and the most thing that made Chorong shocked, she was sleeping in Hongbin’s embrace.

Hongbin slowly woke up from his sleep, as he could hear a noisy voice from the eldest. “Un… What happened?” he mumbled.

“What happened, you said? Hey, Lee Hongbin. I should be the one who’s asking you that question, what you had done with my friend last night?!” Chorong glared at the youngest.

Hongbin who already got his full consciousness, suddenly looked down and found Eunji who was still sleeping peacefully with her head leaned on his chest. “C-Chorong noona, I-I can explain it.”

“Sure, you should!” Chorong walked closer to them, before she shook Eunji’s arm. “Eunji-ya, wake up. I said, wake up now!”

“Chorong noona, don’t be too rude. Last night she was too tired---“

“Too tired?!” Chorong’s eyes almost bulged out. “Oh my~ Lee Hongbin, please don’t say that both of you already did ‘it’!”

“N-no, it was not like that you think, noona. W-we’re just---“

“Un… why it’s so noisy…?” Eunji suddenly mumbled and slowly opened her eyes. It made Hongbin and Chorong suddenly stopped their selves from arguing. “So… It’s already in the morning…” she pulled her head slowly from Hongbin’s chest.

“Finally, you’ve woke up, Ji. I need to ask you something,” Chorong was rested her palms on her waists, and gave stern look.

“Chorong eonnie? Ah, good morning,” she grinned, while rubbed her eyes. “Hongbin-ah, good morning,” she turned her face to greet the clueless one, and Hongbin only smiled awkwardly.

“How could you sleep outside with him? Didn’t you suppose to be sleeping with me inside your room?” Chorong asked with a high tone.

“Oh…” Eunji blinked for some seconds. “L-last night, I---“

“Last night she was---“

“Lee Hongbin, shut up. I asked her, not you,” Chorong once again, gave a death glare to the youngest, and Hongbin nodded in understanding. Chorong was always looking so scary when she was mad.

“I… was forcing him to be with me…” Eunji stuttered.

“Why? Didn’t I already being with you? Oh, I knew now. You had a serious problem that you had not told to me, didn’t you?” Chorong shot her with the endless question marks.

Eunji nodded.

“And, let me guess… This guy already knew about your problem, so you asked him to give you a shoulder to cry on. Am I right again this time?” Chorong furrowed her eyebrow.

 

“Chorong eonnie, I’m sorry… I knew I should not tell him first rather than telling you, but I---“

“Enough,” Chorong was cutting Eunji’s words by placing her palms right in front of Eunji’s face. “I’m not getting mad of you because of it, but vice versa, I’m happy to hearing it,” Chorong’s face suddenly became softer.

“E-eonnie?” Eunji blinked in confuse, so did Hongbin.

“I guessed last night you were crying like a baby on his shoulder because of Jung Taekwoon, right?” Chorong said.

“H-how could you know?” Eunji frowned.

“Eunji-ya, come on. I’m already being your friends since 4 years, it was enough to knowing you so well, dear,” Chorong Eunji’s hair. “And did you know the reason why I became so happy?”

Eunji shook her head.

“It was because you choose a right guy this time. Yeah, I didn’t say that this ert is a perfect man, but at least, I believed that he was better than your previous boyfriend,” Chorong shrugged and it suddenly made Eunji blushed.

“Yah, noona. How could you say, that I’m a ert?!” Hongbin yelled and he earned a glare from Chorong.

“Language please. Remember, I’m older than you and you should respect me, Bean.”

“But noona, I---“

“Aigoo~ Looks like I’m being a third wheel between you two. So, I think it’s better for me to go home now. Bye, Eunji-ya, see you again at school,” without waiting for their responds, Chorong turned around and grabbed her bag on the table of the living room, before she walked out from the house.

And there was an awkward silence between Eunji and Hongbin.

“Eunji-ya,” he tried to break the silence. “I…”

“Let’s find some food outside for our breakfast,” Eunji suddenly said and it made Hongbin startled. “But, before we go, I should brush my teeth first. And you can use my brother’s bathroom, and find a new toothbrush in the white box near the water’s sink,” she said as she walked toward her room.

“Thank you,” Hongbin muttered but it was audible enough to make her heard it.

***

 

Both of them arrived in the Sunday food market near her house. At first, Eunji was walking lead him, but a few steps later, Hongbin took his steps closer to her, taking her hand and leading the move. Lee Hongbin had finally dared himself to show off his real feelings toward his crush.

He could sense that she was flattering right after their fingers intertwined to each other. And without his realizing, her heart was beating as fast as him. Her hand was cold and so was his. But, it slowly recognized each other’s skin, and it was feel so warm for them.

They reached an empty table, and an ahjumma immediately handed them some menus. Eunji ordered chicken porridge for her breakfast, and Hongbin choose fish and chips. Eunji might have been to busy avoiding his gaze by looking at her surrounding. Meanwhile, Hongbin was thanking God right now, because He gave him this chance to spend more time with her.

“I…” suddenly both of them spoke out in unison, and another awkward moment was created.

“You said first,” Eunji said.

“This Wednesday, I have a musical performance… and if you don’t mind… I want you to watch it…” he stuttered and Eunji realized his blushing cheeks.

“I will come,”

Hongbin startled as he heard her quick answer. “Are you sure?”

“Yes,” she suddenly wore her cute smile on her face. “I will attend and watch your musical performance with all of our friends. I’m sure they will agree like me.”

“Thank you… I’ll give you the tickets soon,” Hongbin smiled awkwardly.

“Hongbin-ah…”

“Yes?”

“I’m sorry for asking this… but, do you mind…” she paused a moment to ignore his eyes, to handle her flush. “If I asked you to waiting…?”

His heart skipped a beat.

“I mean… I cannot make any decision now since you know I just broke up with him. I needed some time to prepared my heart for the new one, and it is---“

“I will wait for you,”

Eunji’s heart was racing and running at the same time.

“I’ll be waiting for you whenever it takes, Eunji.”

***

“Woah Yoon Bomi! Is that really you?!” Wonshik’s jaw dropped as he saw her shows up in one of fine café near her neighborhood.

Her outfit was not too dazzling, just casual but Wonshik admitted that she was putting some make up on her face, and it made her look prettier.

“Are you already ordering something for my breakfast?” she said, ignoring his amazement.

“Oh, sure. Here, a fresh milk and banana waffle for you,” Wonshik grinned as he placed the meal on the table.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter