Chapter 20

Mine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


No One's Pov:

Hayoung stared at the girl sitting on her bed, knees tucked up to her chest. Hayoung had always thought about how small she was, but it genuinely surprised her how small she looked now. Despite the serious situation, Hayoung couldn't stop herself from wondering if that was one of the reasons Namjoo hated opening up and being vulnerable. Hayoung knew full well that Namjoo was clueless on what to do next, even though she would never admit it. It did all happen pretty fast. All of sudden Hayoung was expected to get married and have children with some 'respectable' man that she hadn't even met yet. Namjoo did understand why the Oh family were doing it, but that didn't mean it wasn't pissing her off beyond belief. Admittedly, Namjoo didn't know all of the details, but from what she had gathered, Hayoung was in an arranged marriage.

The marriage itself didn't bother Namjoo. Well that's what she told herself, but she was struggling to believe it. Not that it mattered anyway. She knew it wasn't the only reason this bothered her, but she had already come to the decision that any romantic feelings she had for Hayoung had to be shut down now, given the circumstances. What she needed right now was a friend to lean on, not someone to complicate things further. Namjoo sighed. Hayoung told her that she had agreed, but Namjoo doubted she had much of a choice. Namjoo clenched her fists, trying her hardest not to put them through the wall. How could they do this to her? Namjoo stared at Hayoung again, studying her face. Namjoo was usually good at reading her expression, but she couldn't figure this one out.

This was a difficult situation to say the least, and Namjoo was very aware that this wasn't a situation you could fix with fighting. It needed to be handled with care, something that Namjoo was never really good at. Truth be told, she felt like crying for Hayoung as she realised how hard it would be to get out of this. Although, Hayoung wasn't even looking for a way out. Running away wasn't really her sort of thing. She was looking for a way to cope. Namjoo sighed again as Hayoung walked over to the bed and sat down next to her. She had been silent for a while now, waiting for Namjoo to talk.

"It might not be so bad." Hayoung looked up at Namjoo, confusion in her eyes. Namjoo felt awkward, she was never good at comforting, but it was what Hayoung needed. "I mean, I know it seems really scary, but arranged marriages can work. And it's not like your choice isn't taken into account."

Hayoung sighed angrily. "I, don't want it to work... I don't want any of this." 

Namjoo was starting to understand why this was freaking Hayoung out so much. This marriage didn't just mean getting married and having kids, it meant a complete lifestyle change. The Oh's were traditional, there was no question about that. 

Namjoo was more than aware that Hayoung could take care of herself, the way she acted around Namjoo was proof that she could take care of herself.  Namjoo scowled as she realised that Hayoung wouldn't be able to be herself in front of these people. She wouldn't be able to keep the dreams and goals she had. 

"I'll do something."

Hayoung closed her eyes. "There's nothing you can do."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter