Chapter 6 - Leaving?

Halfway Through

A car came in front of the abandoned building and a woman with a kind face looked at Seong Im hopelessly. Her eyes were pleading that she'll give her good news, but Seong Im was afraid that she can't answer that so she looked at where the man she saw was lying. Before they arrived, a man told her the instructions, through a phone call, on how she should apply first aid, she was told not to move the man, instead, they made her try to stop the bleeding on his head.

A little girl came out of the car that the woman was riding, followed by a man that looked like the girl's father. When she thought of it, she assumed that they're a family.

Another car came and from there, came out 4 men that wore the same uniforms and a man who took out a stethoscope from his bag.

Seong Im was just left agape to what's happening before her even when they asked her to ride in their car. She expected them to go to a hospital but they ended up arriving at a really huge mansion.

 

Everyone inside the house were running around after they arrived. She was staying outside a room with the little girl from before. When Seong Im looked at her clearly, she found out that she's crying.

"Ahh annyeonghaseyo!" She greeted the little girl with a smile while sitting down to match her level. She looked like a 5-year old kid.

The girl sobbed and wiped her tears as she touched Seong Im's cheeks. Seong Im was shocked with what happened. Her heart felt warmer and she herself cried.

"Why are you crying?" the little girl asked.

Seong Im immediately wiped her tears and felt embarrassed. She should be the one comforting her.

"Ahh ani. But, why were you crying?"

"Oppa's bleeding."

"Ahh so he's your oppa?"

The little girl nodded.

"Don't worry he will be fine. Your oppa will be fine."

"I know."

"Ahh jinjja? Then why did you say-"

"Because Lizzy's afraid of blood."

Seong Im was delighted to see that the girl was smart and brave. Even better than her. It seemed like she didn't need her at all.

"Ohh so you're fine now?"

"Mm-hmm."

"Lizzy's a brave girl, isn't she?"

"Ye. You're pretty...and nice."

Seong Im was touched with her comments. She was at loss for words until Lizzy talked again.

"Are you oppa's girlfriend?"

"Ahh ani, ani. I just met him today."

Lizzy bowed her head. She looked disappointed. Seong Im felt bad so she tried to coo her.

"But you know, I would like to know your oppa, can you introduce me to him once he gets better, my name is Cheon Seong Im."

"Ye, I'd love to." Her voice suddenly became softer. "Can I call you, unni?"

"Of course." Seong Im answered with a smile.

Their conversation was interrupted by a man's deep voice.

"I'm sorry for intruding your talk with my daughter but can I please talk to you for a minute."

"Ahh ye."

"Lizzy-ah umma is looking for you."

Lizzy ran along the corridor and when she was nowhere to be seen, the man looked at her. Seong Im thought that he was the same man whom she spoke with a while ago and taught her how to apply first aid.

"May I know your name?"

"Ahh ye, I'm Cheon Seong Im."

"Seong Im-ssi, I'm Dr. Choi. I would like to thank you for saving my son, if you weren't there my son could've died and we wouldn't be able to find him."

"But it was just a coincidence I-"

Dr. Choi smiled. "Coincidence or not you saved my son and that's enough for me to thank you. My wife also would want to tell you how thankful she is but she's still waiting for our son to wake up. We're really happy that you were there for him."

Seong Im smiled and bowed. "Ahh ye."

"And it looks like Lizzy likes you."

"Ye. She's smart and pretty. You have a wonderful daughter."

"Hmm. She's our angel. I'm sure she doesn't know what happened to his brother but I'm pretty sure it's better that way, he's getting better anyway."

"Ye. But-forgive me for asking, why didn't you bring him to the hospital?"

"Ahh that's also what I was going to tell you. Well, it's because we might catch the media's attention if we bring him to the hospital. They might ask a lot of questions about death threats and stuff. Our family needs a rest from them. I'm sure the person who did this was a regular thief roaming in the city."

"How did you know sir?"

"I asked the police to investagate the area. They wanted to ask you questions too but I'm sure you need a rest it's late."

"Ahh it's okay-"

 

They were interrupted by the housemaid saying that her room's ready. She bid goodbye to Dr. Choi and followed the housemaid to her room. Seong Im was thinking that they are probably rich if the media's watching out for them and death threats are sent to their family. Being rich, sure is scary. Why do I always bump into people with a lot of money? Aish.

 

Seong Im was sent to a really huge room. If this is their idea of a guest's room what would their rooms look like? The bed was like that of a princess's with headboards carved with elegant designs. The temperature was perfect to get a good night's sleep. That's why as soon as she closed her eyes she fell asleep leaving the clothes given to her to change into, unused.

Seong Im felt like she slept for a year. She's so relaxed and her stress went away. She remembered this feeling and assumed that she's in Jong Kook's place. Maybe I was just dreaming about him pushing me away. She opened her eyes and felt disappointed. I guess I wasn't dreaming after all. Aish Seong I'm why are you even thinking of that arrogant byungshin(jerk). She hit her head with her hand. She didn't know why she's so mad yet she wants to see him badly. All her thoughts were disturbed when someone knocked on her door.

"Seong Im-ssi breakfast is ready."

"Ahh ne. I'll be right there."

"They even have people to call them for breakfast." She murmured to herself as she fix herself and chang her clothes.

 

When Seong Im arrived at the dining area Dr. Choi, his wife and Lizzy were at the table and were waiting for her. She ran to them and bowed.

"I'm sorry for arriving late."

"Ani. Gwenchana. Take a sit." Mrs. Choi said with a warm smile.

"Ye. Kamsahamnida."

"Seong Im-ah I guess you should know that our son already woke up."

Seong Im's eyes widened. Even though he doesn't know him, she was still worried since he really looked bad last night.

"Jinjja? Is he talking? Is he okay? Like, he's hurting somewhere?"

"Unni! Oppa is strong you know? He doesn't hurt even a little." Lizzy interrupted her blabbering.

"Oh is that so? Hehe sorry." Seong Im realized that she was overreacting.

"Gwenchana Seong Im-ah. Why don't you go see for yourself?" Dr. Choi asked.

"Me? But, I, I-"

"Why don't you go with her Lizzy-ah I'm sure he'd love to see you too." Mrs. Choi added.

 

Lizzy pulled Seong I'm to his brother's room. She jumped on his bed and hugged him as soon as she saw him, making him awake. Seong Im tried to stop her but it was too late his eyes were open and were looking at her. was left hanging and didn't know what to say.

"Oppa, Umma said that Unni saved you last night from the bad guys."

"Ohh jinjja Lizzy-ah." The man answered with a deep husky voice that might be caused by the anesthesia given to him. He sat up while holding Lizzy's arms in front of him.

"It, it's not that much actually. I just, I was just there and I just followed Dr. Choi's instructions through the phone and-"

"Gomapda."

"Ahh-ohh-ne. It's not a big deal though." Seong Im stuttered.

"By chance, have you met Lizzy?"

"Ne, she's a nice girl."

"Oppa, Unni is nice too, and pretty."

Seong Im's eyes widened and she forced a smile while trying to hide her embarrassment.

"Seems like my sister likes you. By the way, I'm Choi Jin Hyuk. Thank you for saving me." Jin Hyuk reached his hand out to Seong Im.

"Ahh ye. I'm Cheon Seong Im." She said while hesitantly shaking his huge soft hand.

Lizzy laughed teasingly making them release each other's hand.

 

Seong Im stared at the amazing scenery before her. The veranda of their house showed the sunset lighting up the trees and the river. She just finished calling her boss telling him that, she didn't go to work today because of some important business she needs to attend to. Before calling, she and Lizzy cooked lunch for Jin Hyuk and she watched them play around together until Lizzy fell asleep.

Seong Im was so immersed in the view that she didn't notice someone coming.

"Seong Im-ssi."

Seong Im was startled, making the woman behind her laugh. She smiled at her while bowing to greet her.

"Sorry for startling you like that."

"Ani. It's okay Mrs. Choi."

"Enjoying the view?"

"Ye. It's really helps in unwinding a little. And your house is really magnificent."

"We chose this place for that. This house was built years ago, yet my husband makes sure to take care of it. Maybe, because the house is loved and taken care of that's why it stayed like this. You know time may change a lot of things but love keeps those things on check keeping them as they are, don't you think so?"

"I-I'm not sure of that. I haven't-"

"You haven't been inlove?"

"Well, I guess you can put it that way." Seong Im answered shyly.

"But you look like you're stressed about something that made you come here, do you have any problems?"

"Ahh ani. It-it's not important."

"You can always talk to me." Mrs. Choi smiled warmly. She always did, but this time it moved Seong Im's heart. It kind of filled the missing piece within her. Something she's been longing for, for years. She unconsciously hugged the woman standing before her.

Mrs. Choi smiled. At first, she's thankful for Seong Im since she saved Jin Hyuk, but as time pass by, she started to really adore her. Maybe she was just genuine. Seong Im moved away from their hug and felt embarrassed.

"S-sorry, I-I don't know what came to me."

"It's okay. Ohh by the way won't your parents be looking for you?"

 

Seong Im felt her heart crushing. She really avoided that question for years. She just never accepted it.

"A-are you okay?" Mrs. Choi asked.

"Y-ye, t-they won't. They're gone." Seong Im forced a smile.

Mrs. Choi just kept quiet. She felt her hurting.

"I lived with my mom's sister until I finished high school. I-I kind of ran away. So, I sort of live alone now." Well I was living with Jong Kook but forget that guy.

"I'm sorry to hear that dear. Do you have a job?"

"Ye. I work at a coffee shop in Seongsu-dong."

 

Mrs. Choi took a deep breath. She suddenly became silent and looked like she was thinking of something until she started to talk again.

"Seong Im-ssi, it's really difficult for me to express my gratitude to you. When I heard the doctor say that we could have lost Jin Hyuk if we found him later than you did, I almost died. I just wished that I could switch places with him. I just couldn't think straight for I couldn't do anything. But when he opened his eyes, it's as if I lived again. Because of you I have him with me, Seong Im, my family is really, really thankful to you. But not only that, you yourself, you're enough for me to feel that I shouldn't just leave you here, especially after what I heard from you, I just can't let you go back there without anything."

"But you really don't have to do anything. I understand you want to thank me but it-it's"

"Seong Im-ssi please consider it. It would make me feel assured that your fine if you go with us to London."

"L-London?"

"Ne. After what happened, we confirmed that we should move there for a while. Maybe just let Jin Hyuk finish his studies, and Lizzy. If you want you could to."

"B-but it's too much you see-"

"Yes I know, this is a weird favor but to make you feel comfortable, I would also like to let you watch over Jin Hyuk, after what he's been through I know that he's not fine. He's just that kind of guy who would never want us to see him in pain. Please take care of him. Actually, my husband and I have business to attend to in London and I can't watch over him every minute. But maybe you could do it for me. I'm not trying to rush you, please think of it as a scholarship thing. I would love to hear your answer."

"If it will make you feel better, I-I will think of it."

"Thank you Seong Im-ah." Mrs. Choi touched her cheek and smiled at her. She then left Seong Im alone in the veranda.

 

Seong Im kept closing her eyes but she couldn't sleep. She thought of what Mrs. Choi told her. She'll definitely answer no. She's really uncomfortable with it. Then her thoughts moved to her parents. The pain is still here, I guess I haven't forgotten after all. Right before she drifted to sleep, she thought of the guy who pushed her away but surprisingly, one of the reasons why she didn't want to leave. Jong Kook-ssi, why do I think of you? Byungshin. And finally, her thoughts vanished and she slept soundly.

 

Seong Im rang the doorbell. She wanted to say thank you. She also wanted to say sorry for whatever she had done to him. But most of all she wanted to see him. Today is the 3rd day since she left Jong Kook's place, but it felt like forever. She was going to wait for a while but she promised Lizzy that they'll cook lunch for Jin Hyuk again. So she left.

Seong Im was looking for Lizzy when she heard a glass breaking. She ran to where the sound came from and saw Jin Hyuk holding his head and struggling in pain. She quickly ran to him and helped him to sit on the bed and drink his medicine. After letting him drink the pain relievers, she prepared to leave to tell someone about his condition, but he stopped her by pulling her arms.

"P-please d-don't"

 

Seong Im felt his pain. She remembered what Mrs. Choi told her, that he will make sure to hide the pain he's feeling. She then reconsidered her favor. Maybe, maybe I have to.