Chapter 3 - Nice to meet you!

Halfway Through

 

Jong Kook stopped the car and the girl beside him hurriedly opened the door and ran to the building. He shook his head, stopped the engine and followed the girl.

He saw the girl stop in front of the building door when he almost reached her. He was about to take the girl's wrist, but she suddenly talked to the man in front of her.

"Ahh Chang Joo-ssi, I-I'm here for the auditions. I'm sorry I'm late I-"

"The auditions are over an hour ago. You wouldn't be accepted anyway."

 

Jong Kook was shocked to hear what the man said. Woah, this man is rude! He was going to face the man and talk to him,but the girl suddenly looked at him with her eyes filled with tears. She collapsed in front of him but he was able to catch her.

He felt bad for her. The first time he heard that she wanted to be an actress, he barely managed to act normally. She's pretty but an actress is just too.... He shrugged his thoughts and helped her walk. He looked at her face, blank, with tears and he could feel how hurt she was.

He was shocked when she suddenly took his hand that's holding her arm. She gently removed it and she slowly looked up to see his face. Their eyes met and Jong Kook felt shocked that he felt something weird in his chest. He wasn't sure what it was.

Seong Im used all her strength to talk.

"I-I'm sorry f-for the trouble. T-thank you. P-please don't f-follow m-me."

 

She took a deep breath and walked away. She wasn't sure why she's crying. Is it because she wasn't able to go to the auditions? Or is it because everyone looks down on her, everyone tells her that she can never be an actress, no one, just no one believes in her. She doesn't know why but still she cried. She felt the pain.

While her tears kept falling, she walked and walked.

 

Jong Kook was too shocked when he felt the weird feeling in his chest that by the time he came back to his senses, the girl already walked away and was quite far from him. He ran to her and when he was close, he remembered what she said. P-please don't f-follow m-me. He then stopped and instead of stopping her, he just followed her to wherever she's going. I'm a fool for following a woman I don't know. Not even her name.

 

 

They walked for a few minutes until Seong Im entered a barbeque house. She sat down and ordered for soju. She took a sip, and another, then another. She finished three cups when the ahjumma placed food on her table. She was shocked to see what the ahjumma was doing.

"Ah eomonim, I didn't order this." She said with a weak voice while trying to stop her from what she's doing. But the ahjumma continued placing the side dishes on her table.

"I don't have money for all of these." She murmured while she looked down and took her wallet out of her bag and checked how much she have left.

"It's on the house." The ahjumma said then left.

"Ahh jinjja? Kamsahamnida." She said softly since no voice came out of .

 

Seong Im wasn't sure what's happening but her stomach rumbled. She hasn't eaten anything since this morning. And as much as she's hungry, she also loves to eat a lot, so she started to eat the food on her table. After eating, she drank the bottle of soju she ordered till the last drop.

She stayed inside the store for hours while staring at her phone waiting for anything to happen. After giving up and thinking that Chang Joo isn't going to call her for another audition schedule, she then stood up and walked out the store. She felt dizzy and weak because of the soju and because of what she's been through.

 

She walked to a park and while walking, she felt that someone's following her. She then tried to focus on walking but since it is already dark and there are no people around, she felt scared and she suddenly found herself running. Maybe she was too scared that she ran really fast. When she felt tired, she stopped and looked for a place to hide. She hid behind the bushes and peeped through the small holes and tried to see if someone was really following her.

After a few minutes, a man arrived running and stopped in front of the place where she's hiding. She gasped and covered to prevent the man from hearing her breath. She tried to see the man's face but his back was in front of her. The lamps shone on the man's body revealing his clothes and his arms with huge muscles. She felt her heart beat faster, afraid that if the man finds her, she can't win against him especially now that she feels weak. I was the best in judo in middle school but this man's a monster. 

Just a while ago when she was drinking soju, she hoped that she'll just die so she can stop feeling the pain. But right now, she wished with all her heart to let her live just this once. When I said that I wanted to die, I didn't mean for it to be this soon.

 

The man looked around as if searching for someone. When he turned around, Seong Im got a clear view of his face. She recognized the man immediately. She jumped out of the bushes and grabbed the man's hair.

"You!"

"AHH-AHH,WAIT,IT HURTS, IT HURTS! YA! YA!"

 

Jong Kook was shocked when someone suddenly appeared out of the bushes. But what surprised him more is that, that person grabbed his hair. She was pulling his hair really hard that it felt like his going to get bald soon.

"AHH! STOP! STOP!" She stopped but when she let go, she started kicking and hitting him. He realized that it was that girl he's looking for.

"Do you know how scared I was? I thought I was going to die." While she was talking, Jong kook took the opportunity to grab her arms to stop her from hitting him. He was shocked when he saw that she's crying.

"Wae? Why are you crying?"

 

Seong Im tried to move her arms but he was too strong. She tried to talk between her cries.

"I-I was scared. I-I thought I w-was going t-to die."

 

Jong Kook was surprised with what she said that it made him smile. 

"I can't believe you cry over that matter." Seong Im's face turned red. She tried to stop crying. She felt embarrassed and thought that maybe he thought that she's such a cry baby.

"YA!" This time Jong Kook smiled wider. Seong Im felt more embarrassed until she remembered why she was scared.

"You! Why are you following me huh?" 

"Mwuh?"

"You were the one following me right? That's why I got scared and ran."

"Ani." Jong Kook lied since he was caught.

"Ko-ji-mal (lie) . Let go of me." Seong Im tried to remove Jong Kook's hands.

 

Jong Kook let go of her and she quickly walked away.

"Ya! Where are you going?"

"Away from you." Jong Kook followed her. She stopped and turned around.

"Stop following me."

"I'm not following you I'm going this way too."

"Why do you keep on following me?"

"I said I'm not."

 

Seong Im just glared at him while trying to look into his eyes, while his eyes kept on looking somewhere else. Jong Kook avoided her eyes, thinking of a reason why he's following her. Why am I following her? I-I-I don't know. Aish pabo!

 

 

While Jong Kook was talking to himself, Seong Im continued walking. When Jong Kook saw it, he shouted.

"Ya. You have to pay me back." Hearing this Seong Im looked back.

"Wae?"

"For the food. In the barbeque house."

"Mwuh-you? So you were following me."

"Ahh because you have to pay me."

"Why were you in that place then? And why did you order food for me?"

"I-uhh-coincidence."

 

Seong Im rolled her eyes.

"Ko-ji-mal-jaengi (liar/professional liar)"

"Aish! You! I-I still have your clothes from last night." Seong Im's face suddenly became redder than ever. She remembered that this morning she slept in his room with different clothes on. She thought of all the bad things that could have happened.

"I-you-did we?"

"What?"

"Did we? You know?" Jong Kook never thought that she's thinking that she slept with him. When he realized what she was talking about, his eyes opened wider and he laughed wholeheartedly.

 

Seong Im felt embarrassed when he laughed. She hadn't thought of what happened in his apartment until now that's why she's unsure.

"Ya!"

 

Jong Kook then stopped laughing and took a deep breath.

"You really think we-?"

"Ani! It's just that my clothes are different when I woke up. Perhaps you changed them?" Jong Kook smiled.

"What do I look like to you? A ?"

"Yes?"

"Ya!"

 

Seong Im smiled. Jong Kook was shocked to see her smile. It's the first time he saw that from her.

"Well, here's what happened." Jong Kook told her what he did last night after he hit her with his car.

"Why did I smell alcohol when I woke up?" Jong Kook of course skipped that part.

"Mol-lah."

 

Seong Im scratched her head.

"Where are my clothes now?"

"I sent it to the dry cleaner. If you want I could just deliver it to your house."

 

Seong Im thought that she doesn't have a house anymore. Or a room. That's why she was walking last night. She was trying to look for a place to sleep.

"Ani. I-I don't want people going to my house."

"I'm not going to deliver it myself."

"Ahh I need to pay you back for the food right?"

"Ahh, ne." Jong Kook wasn't really going to ask for her to pay. A while ago while following her to the barbeque house, he saw her drinking soju and remembered that she did not eat anything. That's why she ordered food for her and asked the ahjumma to not tell her that he ordered it. He never thought that she'll find out that he was following her. He wasn't planning to show his face, he just wanted to see her get home safely.

"Give me your phone."

"Wae?"

"Give it." Jong Kook gave her his phone. She typed something and pressed the call button.

"I'll message you the time and place for us to meet. Bring my clothes and then I'll pay you back."

"But-"

"How much is the food?"

"Ahh-I-Aish. On second thought, don't pay it."

"Hmm, I ate, barbeque- 10,000 won? I used to eat there. So 10,000 won then?"

"Ahh-"

"Kure. I'll see you then." Seong Im walked away.

"Wait, what's your name?" Seong Im stopped walking. She forgot that they don't know each other's names.

 

Seong Im turned around and looked at him who was really shocked at what's happening.

"Seong Im. Cheon Seong Im."

"Ohh, I'm Kim Jong Kook."

"Hmm, kuraeyo. Nice to meet you Kim Jong Kook-ssi!" She smiled and then left.

 

Jong Kook smiled when she smiled and he continued smiling even if she's gone.

"Yes, nice to meet you."