Chapter 13 - Ji Hyo

Halfway Through
 
"Come on hyung, Gary hyung lets us eat in his restaurant for free only when he wins awards. Who knows when that will happen again? This is the first time he'll treat us for no reason." Haha explained as if his life depended on it.
 
 
The younger man's exaggeration made Jong Kook chuckle. The chasing team was waiting for them to be called and during that time, Haha explained that the older members had finally made Gary agree to treat the team to dinner in his restaurant. He was actually going but he wanted to make fun of his 'nae dongsaeng'. His continuous pestering is like a live movie and it always entertained everyone, including him.
 
"Or hyung, could it be, you don't like to eat there since they'll serve pork belly?"
 
"Hyung, everyone's coming, even Bo Young." Gary couldn't just listen from behind and let Haha do all the talking. He especially couldn't just let Haroro make fun of him and his restaurant in front of his hyung.
 
"Right, but Gary hyung is still going to ask Ji Hyo. He's too shy to ask her and the other hyungs won't do it for him." Haha teased and pushed Gary to the side who's smiling from ear to ear and had already forgotten Haha's mockery.
 
 
Jong Kook's eyes flashed when Ji Hyo was mentioned but it quickly went away. Haroro on the other hand, saw the scene and secretly smiled at his hyung.
 
"Ya, Gary hyung, don't keep your hopes up or you'll get hurt." Haha laughed evilly.
 
"Arraseo, arraseo." Gary said with his unique way of talking while nodding his head.
 
"Stop it you two. Just focus on the mission." The oldest one scolded them and held their shoulders using both of his hands, one of them on each side.
 
"Look who's talking?" Haha peeked at his hyung's face and the other just looked at him in confusion. "Uri hyung." He wrapped his arm around his hyung and Jong Kook messed his hair in return.
 
 
 
The filming ended and he saw Ji Hyo who just finished doing their punishment. They all waited for the three punished members before going to Gary's restaurant. He was going to for losing despite doing her best to win the game but Gap Jin suddenly came running to him.
 
"Hyung, your mom is here." His manager whispered.
 
 
Jong Kook's mood quickly changed and he followed his manager to send him to his mother. He guessed why she would visit her very late at night and during filming. It wasn't new to him to arrive at the rooftop. His mom likes weird stuff.
 
"Why are you here?"
 
"Is that what you'll tell me first every time we meet?"
 
"Come on mom! Just get straight to the point."
 
The woman sighed and crossed her arms. "Fine. Fine. It's your dad's birthday. It would be nice if he'll get good news from you. He's not getting any younger you know." She laughed but Jong Kook doesn't look amused.
 
"What are you trying to say?"
 
She shook her head in disappointment, as if knowing that she'll fail to convince him again, but she still tried. "It had been years Jong Kook-ah. Your dad has done a lot and don't you think it would be put to waste if he can't pass his hard work to his family and-."
 
"We've talked about this."
 
"Yes. We did. And after all those talks haven't you thought about it-."
 
"I did. I already told you my decision, for god knows how many times, but when...when will you stop?"
 
"I'll stop!" Her voice was slightly higher. "I'll stop when you give your father a chance."
 
"Chance? A chance to what, umma?"
 
"A chance...to show you that you are capable, to be what he always dreamed you to be. And not just-."
 
"Not just what? A singer? An entertainer? This? Does my job look like trash to you? How does me, becoming a doctor, make any difference? Is it the only way for you and him to be proud of me? If it is, well then, I'd rather..." He sighed. His heart was getting heavier. "I'd rather accept that you'll never be happy...for me."
 
"Jong Kook-ah-."
 
"I'm sorry mom, I really am. I-I wish you had a better son. A son that could grant your wishes. A son that's not me...I love you, but this, making music, smiling in front of the cameras, filming shows and making people happy, it makes me happy. I just wish you could see that."
 
"I-I...It's still his birthday. You should come."
 
"You don't need me there. Have fun without me."
 
 
Jong Kook rushed to get out of there, go home and be alone, away from everyone. When he opened the door, he saw Ji Hyo, who obviously eavesdropped in their conversation.
 
"How long have you been standing there?" Did she hear how wrecked of a son I am to my family?
 
 
She didn't answer and his mom noticed her presence already. He didn't wait for her reply, left the place and went home. On the way home, Haha called him and he excused himself using stories he came up with. He just needed time with himself. It had always been like that. Him, alone, when he's facing his problems, it worked out that way. He got used to it already.
 
 
 
Unfortunately, this time was different. Ji Hyo's inside his apartment. He's staring at her and he can't believe that she's still staying there despite knowing that he lied to her.
 
"What?" Ji Hyo noticed him.
 
He was flustered but he tried to compose himself. The pain in his leg is slowly subsiding. "What are you doing?"
 
"Well duh! I'm preparing the food? What does it look like I'm doing, playing?"
 
"That's not what I meant."
 
"Then what did you mean, Kim Jong Kook-ssi?"
 
"Why are you here? I said I don't need you. I lied to you."
 
 
Ji Hyo took the bowl of chicken with her right hand and carried the bag for the bottles of soju with the other and brought it to the living room. Jong Kook followed her and waited for her answers. She looked at him and she let out a deep breath. "Well obviously, you're lying again. You need me."
 
Jong Kook walked closer and sat in front of her. He placed his hand on the table and looked at her intently. "What makes you say that?" Their distance was very close and he expected that she'll fluster her with that. He noticed that she feels awkward when they get too close to each other. But to his surprise, she flicked his forehead that made him back away and wince in pain.
 
"See, you need me. You're-in-pain." She mocked.
 
"Ya! You're the one who causes the pain."
 
"It still counts." She shrugged. "You know what? You're such a weirdo. One day you'll disturb people's schedule just for them to cook something for you but when they take the initiative to bring you food you push them away. Are you sick?"
 
"Wha-what? Well sorry miss-I-do-not-have-mood-swings, you should have said no when I asked you to come." He explained.
 
"Huh? Who was the one who acted sick on the phone? I accepted the responsibility to take care of you and I just did what I had to do. I didn't know that you were lying."
 
"Then leave."
 
 
Ji Hyo then stopped and thought of why she was there. She went back to fixing the table.
 
"Why aren't you leaving?"
 
"It's late, I can't go home alone, my manager's picking me up tomorrow." She excused.
 
"Is that still my problem? Call them!"
 
She finally finished arranging the table and opened a bottle of soju. The smell made him wrinkle his nose. "Are you that rude? Waking people up in the middle of the night for your selfish needs."
 
"Ya, why are you blaming everything on me? Just go home."
 
"Will you drive me home?" She sipped from the drink.
 
"Of course not." He persisted.
 
"Then I'm not leaving." Ji Hyo sat comfortably on the sofa and took the chicken with her hand.
 
"Ya, don't mess my place." He stood up.
 
"Stop being such a party pooper. Just get one of your movies and join me."
 
 
 
Jong Kook was sitting beside Ji Hyo, who ate almost every chicken and drank almost every bottle of soju. She's focused on the 3rd movie that's playing.
 
"How can you eat all that?"
 
She faced him almost sober. "Well you're not joining me."
 
Jong Kook was shocked to see Ji Hyo crying. "Hey why are you?" He wiped her tears and she sobbed.
 
"The movie's so heart breaking. Weren't you watching?" She sobbed between her words and Jong Kook just smiled at her.
 
 
 
Actually he wasn't watching the movie but he watched her eat and drink for the past 4 hours.
 
"Can't you drink even just 1 bottle? Or eat just one piece of chicken?" Ji Hyo said as she's trying to stop her sobs.
 
"You know I can't, they're...unhealthy."
 
"So, since I'm eating these, do I look unhealthy to you?"
 
Jong Kook bit his lip, while smiles form from them, and nodded slowly in agreement.
 
"Ya!"
 
He laughed. "What? You asked me."
 
"Come on just one. Just now? I'll join you burn this out tomorrow. " Ji Hyo who's not used to aegyos tried to show him her sweetest smile and pouts.
 
Jong Kook felt himself go crazy while looking at her face but he did his best to calm himself down. "Really? You'll exercise tomorrow morning with me?"
 
Ji Hyo hesitated after hearing the word morning. "Uhh-yeah. So drink up, okay?"
 
 
 
Jong Kook took a bottle of soju and opened it. The smell reeked but Ji Hyo was watching him so he took a sip. The liquid immediately heated his throat and soon after his body.
 
Ji Hyo smiled for she was able to make the health freak Kim Jong Kook drink soju. She cheered herself deep inside and comfortably leaned her back on the sofa.
 
 
 
Jong Kook also relaxed himself and breathed in deeply as he's doing so. They were quiet for a while. Only the sound of the movie and Ji Hyo's sobs echoed inside the room. She's not the type who cries, at least that's what he knew. But he's wrong, he concluded. It pained him to realize that he didn't actually know her well. Even though they were very close before, he never had the chance to know the little things about her. The little things that were very special, how could I miss that? How could I let my self believe that we knew each other well if I didn't even recognize the things that make her special, amazing. Or maybe she changed, that's why I don't know her anymore. The thought hurt more. The fact that years had passed and the possibility that she might be a different person now scared him.
 
After the movie, Ji Hyo faced him. They stared at each other for a while. No one was talking since the atmosphere felt right that way. It's as if they're conversing in a way that needs no words. In a language that only the tranquility could understand.
 
During that moment, Jong Kook noticed her tired eyes. "You shouldn't drink a lot." He took the bottle of soju from her hands and placed it on the table.
 
She didn't disagree and just sat there quietly.
 
"We should rest."


 
 
Jong Kook scratched his head since he doesn't know where she should sleep. His room had one bed and the other one, which Ji Hyo used before, didn't change, which means there was still no bed to be found.
 
"I told you, you should have went home."


Ji Hyo got embarrassed. "No it's okay I can sleep on the floor as long as there are blankets and mats."
 
"What? Are you sure?"
 
"Yeah, I did it before."
 
 
 
Both of them became quiet as if thinking of the same thing. Jong Kook thought of the times when they lived together. He couldn't afford to buy her a bed since his parents stopped supporting him. But she never complained. She was very patient back then and if she's still willing to sleep on the floor, he thought, maybe she isn't a stranger after all.
 
"I mean, you know, when we slept in the living room without us knowing." She tried to laugh.
 
 
 
But the atmosphere got more awkward since they got reminded of sleeping 'together'.
 
Jong Kook thought that maybe he should let her sleep there, for old time's sake. Actually, a part of him wanted to see if she really did change. "If that's what you wish." He left and entered his room.
 
"Wha-?" Ji Hyo was left dumbfounded. She expected him to offer his room or at least fix the room for her. "That man really has split personality." She bit her lip in annoyance and slammed the door shut. "How could he let a woman sleep on the floor?"
 
 
 
Ji Hyo tossed and turned since she couldn't sleep. The floor was very cold and the weather made it worse. The blankets didn't cover her enough to stop her from freezing. She stood up and went out of the room. She brought the blanket with her and stormed to the living room. She lied down the sofa but it didn't feel right. It was cramped and uncomfortable. She stood up again and stomped her feet.
 
"Aish that man."
 
 
 
Jong Kook stared at the ceiling. It was already 3 in the morning. The lampshade lit his bedroom and the room's temperature made it very relaxing. When running man started, he never had a good night sleep. It's either he was too tired to feel the comfy nights or he's overthinking his problems with his health or with Ji Hyo. Her arrival made his life very unpeaceful. After a few seconds of having a serene night for the first time in a month, he heard a loud banging on the door. Too much for wishing for a normal night.


He opened the door and saw a very bad Ji Hyo. He felt scared but he tried not to show it. "What is it?"
 
The woman wrapped herself more with the blanket hanging around her neck. "You're very insensitive aren't you?"
 
"What? Why, what did I do?" He still pretended to be ignorant, until he saw Ji Hyo's death stare. "Ahh, I get it, the room, the bed, isn't it." He tried to save himself.
 
"How could a famous singer not afford a single bed? That room looked the same the last time I saw it." Ji Hyo's anger made her talk without thinking.
 
"I never went inside that room, ever since that day." He said with a very cold voice. This time Jong Kook's head was lowered. A sensitive memory flashed inside his head and he remembered everything that came with it, including the pain.
 
Ji Hyo obviously noticed what's happening. "The floor is too cold in that room. There's no heater either. At least there's one in your room, right? I...I'll just occupy the floor in here." She entered his room and laid down the blanket.
 
 
 
She went back to the other room, carried the mats and pillows and brought them inside Jong Kook's room. She adjusted the pillow and covered half of her body with the blanket. Jong Kook was still standing next to the door.
 
"Y-you can sleep now, sorry for disturbing you."
 
She finally lied down and prepared to sleep. She faced opposite the bed with her hands supporting her head. She heard Jong Kook enter the bed. She closed her eyes.
 
 
 
 
...but she couldn't sleep. Ji Hyo cleared .
 
"Are you, are you asleep?"
 
The room was silent for a while and when she thought that he was sleeping, she heard him speak. "No."
 
She shifted her position with her back flat on the mat and her eyes facing the ceiling. The lampshade was still on so she could see clearly. "I'm sorry if I said something wrong."
 
"You didn't."
 
 


It was silent again.
 
"Uhmm...can I ask you something?"
 
"What is it?" His voice was deep and cold.
 
"Will you promise first that you'll answer my question?"
 
"What? No."
 
"Oh come on just for fun." She insisted with a 'sweet' voice. "Just promise."
 
"I won't. Why are you so annoying?" Jong Kook's voice sounded like a commander that's pissed off.
 
"Please, please, please, pretty please, please..." She said for an awful lot of times.
 
"Aish ya! Stop!"
 
"I won't stop until you promise. Please, please, please...-"
 
"Okay fine! Promise! Just stop!" He rubbed his ears in frustration.
 
Ji Hyo inhaled to catch her breath and smiled. "So..." She stayed silent, thinking of how she should tell him her question. "What's wrong with you and your father?"
 
Jong kook was taken aback by her question. He didn't expect that coming, though he knew that she heard his conversation with his mom. "Woah. That, I am not going to answer."
 
"But you promised." Ji Hyo whined.
 
"No. It's not something you should know."
 
"But-"
 
"No." Jong Kook's voice was firm.
 
 
 
Ji Hyo stopped. She knew that he can't tell her. She got a little hurt. If it were the same as before, he would definitely share his problems to her
 
"The truth is, I came here because I heard you and your mom. I thought you might need someone to talk to. It's okay actually if you won't answer me. We barely know each other after all." It sounded strange and hurting but it's true. They were close back then but time had passed. A lot has changed.
 
Jong Kook's deep sigh could be heard but he kept quiet.
 
 
 
"I hate bugs." She suddenly burst out during the silence.
 
Jong Kook still didn't talk but a smile came out of his lips.
 
"...and zombies. I love jjajangmyeon and jjamppong oh and ramyeon. In short I love noodles." She giggled. "I like Hyun Bin oppa. When I was 13, I proudly claimed that I could climb a tree. They won't believe me so I had to climb this very tall tree and I actually reached the highest branch. I was very happy that I rocked the tree...so the branch broke and I fell." They both laughed. When they stopped, Ji Hyo continued talking. "Luckily, I didn't break my bones but I had cuts and scrapes all over my body." She stopped as if thinking of what to say next. "When I was in high school I got rejected in 7 school plays. I hate the 7th one the most. That's when my mom died. But after that I improved, I even got to act in some movie where I had to ride horses. It was fun. Also, I hate amusement parks. They remind me of my father. He left us, me and my umma."
 
"Ji Hyo, she isn't that bad. She push people away to protect herself. She can't get close to them easily because everyone who promised that they'll stay, left."
 
"That's why they loathe me...because I made them hate me. Even so, it still hurts, to hear them say mean things. I cried, the first time someone called me a witch or a and every other insult they could think of, but then I got used to it. That's just how things are. People will hurt you, all of them, eventually will. I just got tired. Even when I know that some of them are nice, they're not an exception, I still can't trust them. But you know what I found out? Living like that, had not been any better. It still hurts...it's...lonely."
 
 
 
"Asleep?" Ji Hyo checked.
 
"No." He sighed. "Let's swap."
 
"Huh?"
 
"I'll sleep there."
 
"What for?"
 
"How could I let Song Ji Hyo, who has millions of fans supporting her, sleep on the floor?"
 
 
 
Ji Hyo laughed. She's not afraid to be that way because the people that matters remind her that they understand. She's even more glad to know that he does.
 
 
 
The room was silent for maybe, an hour. Ji Hyo knows that they were not okay. But she thought that maybe they both needed to stop ignoring each other or to dismiss the awkwardness when they're together. She said so herself, she isn't the girl he knew before, so there's no reason for her to avoid him. Also considering the fact that they're working in a show where they can't stay away from each other forever.
 
"Ji Hyo." Jong Kook called her.
 
She didn't respond at first and when she was going to, he spoke.
 
"Good night."
 
 
 
Ji Hyo feels that she wasn't able to sleep at all but something is poking her cheeks that it woke her up. She brushed it off only to feel it again. She opened her eyes and saw Jong Kook staring at her while grinning widely. She frowned and covered her whole body with the blanket then tried to go back to sleep. It went away but after a few seconds, she felt arms wrapping around her waist and the next thing she knew she's out of the bed and is hanging on Jong Kook's shoulder like a sack of rice.
 
"Ya! What are you doing?"
 
"You said you'll join me in my exercise today."
 
"Oh come on. It's too early. The sun hasn't even risen yet." She didn't think that he was serious about that exercise. 
 
"Ani, it's perfect. There are less people on the streets. We wouldn't want to catch attention from the press."
 
She wiggled her feet and arms. "Fine. Fine. Put me down."
 
 
 
Instead of doing that, he brought her inside the bathroom, only then he did put her down. He left and closed the door. As soon as she got out of the bathroom, Jong Kook who was waiting beside the door, placed a hat on her head.
 
"Let's go?"
 
 
 
The next weeks after, Ji Hyo and Jong Kook acted normally around each other. By normal, it means, full of bickering and shouting.
 
"Are you touching me?" Ji Hyo said as she defended the newspaper ball from being taken by Jong Kook.
 
 
 
They were playing office basketball and the teams were separated with Ji Hyo, Jae Suk, Joong Ki, Tony and Kwang Gyu in one team and Jong Kook, Haha, Gary, Kwang Soo and Suk Jin on the other. Ji Hyo's team was down by 2 points and Jae Suk called for a tactical meeting.
 
"I'll just foul him." Ji Hyo proudly suggested.
 
 
 
Ji hyo then began torturing Jong Kook in different ways to help her team. The people around didn't mind for they were too busy playing the game. Ji Hyo would pull his necktie, hair and poke his chest. Jong Kook who couldn't take revenge since the cameras were filming, could only scold his team mates.
 
"Aigoo this man." Jae Suk whispered.
 
"Do they think there are no cameras around?" Kwang Soo asked.
 
But before Jae Suk could answer, Jong Kook's shouts could be heard. "Gwang Soo-ya." Ji Hyo was pulling his hair and couldn't do anything. Kwang Soo got startled and pulled Jae Suk back but the other members of the blue team intercepted making him fall to the ground.
 
 
 
Jong Kook's competitiveness rose and he glared at Ji Hyo. But the woman had other intentions, she glared back at him and it was more aggressive and scary. The PD called a foul when Ji Hyo touched Jong Kook's chest. Everyone pretended to not see what happened so there wouldn't be any issues about it and it could look like it was just a foul play. Jong Kook persisted that it wasn't allowed but all of his screams and efforts were useless for Ji Hyo's team won in the end.
 
 
 
Jong Kook was standing near his car when he saw Ji Hyo with Joong Ki. His ears were burning for a reason not known to him or maybe he is in denial of. He walked closer to them. He snuck himself in the middle of the SongSong siblings and placed his arms around their shoulders.
 
"You guys had dinner?"
 
Joong Ki was shocked to see his hyung, who was glaring at him? "Oh, hyung." His voice was that of an innocent flower boy.
 
Ji Hyo slid herself away from Jong Kook's muscular arms, leaving the two in a bromantic situation. "I can't go. I have an early shoot tomorrow."
 
The younger man nodded. "I need to go, for the punishment."
 
 
Jong Kook then took his arms back. Joong Ki bid goodbye to his noona and hyung and ran to the bus. When Jong Kook turned to Ji Hyo, she was already walking to her car.
 
"Ya! Miss Song."


Ji Hyo looked back and he approached her. "Yes, Mr. Kim?"
 
"Aren't you forgetting something?"
 
"Nope." She said and walked away.
 
Jong Kook was shocked. He ran and pulled her back. "What's with the hair pulling? They really hurt you know?"
 
She huffed. "Well, that hurt less than forcing people run 5 km, and many other things that sores your body. I couldn't even get out of the bed because of the muscle pain, here, here and here, every where." She said while pointing all over her body.
 
Jong Kook couldn't help but laugh at the angry Ji Hyo. "Is this still about that exercise?"
 
"If you think this is a joke, it's not."
 
He then became serious with a bit of smile on his face. "Then let me make it up to you."
 
"How?" 
 
"Are you free tommorow night?"
 
"Why?"
 
"Umma's new restaurant is opening and she's kind of forcing me to come with someone."
 
"Party?"
 
"Kind of. Don't worry only her friends will be coming and they're not the type who spread news. The thing is my brothers are busy and she knows I'm free. Well, you know her."


Ji Hyo giggled. "So you finally made up with her?"
 
"Huh? Hmm, not really but she does what she wants, that's why if you would come it would be a great help."
 
"Help? Shouldn't you be the one doing me a favor?" 
 
"There's food there you can eat any thing you like. I'll willingly serve them to you."
 
 
 
She stopped for a while and thought about it.
 
Jong Kook thought that she might decline. It's the first time he asked her to go on a party with him and she might still be pissed off at him.
 
"Okay. I'll go."
 
"Really?" He didn't expect she'll agree that's why he hugged her tightly without thinking. He noticed his action and shyly moved away. "T-thank you."
 
"Well it's for Mrs. Kim and there will be a servant who will bring me food. What could go wrong?"
 
 


The next day, Ji Hyo just came home from her magazine shoot and she sat down the sofa in her apartment. The place is a rather small house in Ilsan that Lizzy had been renting for years now.  She was very tired that's why she immediately fell asleep. She was woken up by the doorbell ringing.
 
"Oh Lizzy-ah, why didn't you just open...what's that?"
 
Lizzy was carrying a huge box with her left hand and her stuff with the other. "Move unni, this is very inconvenient you know?"
 
"What's that box for?"
 
"How would I know? Maybe it's for you. Someone left it outside the door." She sighed and wiped the sweat on her forehead. 
 
Ji Hyo curiously took the box and opened it. Her eyes widened at the sight of a beautiful light pink dress. On top of it a note said:
 
This serves as my thanks, please wear this tonight.
 
Kookie ^^
 
 
 
Ji Hyo couldn't help but laugh. She took the dress out. She almost forgot about the party that she hadn't picked a dress yet.
 
"Woah! That's so pretty unni. Is that really for you?"
 
Ji Hyo didn't mind her. She stood up and walked in front of the mirror while aligning the dress to her body. It looked like it'll fit her. 
 
"Kookie? Jong Kookie? Jong Kook oppa? Omo, are you dating unni?" Lizzy entered her room while holding the note.
 
 
 
Ji Hyo took the paper from her and placed the dress on her bed.
 
"Ya, unni, why didn't you tell me?"
 
"Tell you what? We're not dating. He invited me to a party."
 
"Then it's your first date?"
 
 
Ji Hyo didn't answer, instead she took her phone out and called someone.
 
"Bo Mi-ssi, do you have something to do?...Then can you pass by my apartment before that?...Ne...Ne." Ji Hyo smiled and walked to the bathroom to take a shower.
 
"Not a date your face. You're even asking your stylist to get you ready. Ya, unni, Jong Kook oppa will like you even without make-up and hair curls."
 


Ji Hyo was caught red handed but she could only laugh.
 
 
 
It was already 7 pm and she haven't received a message from Jong Kook on where she should go. Her chin rested on her left hand and her phone was on her right hand while she stared at it. Her head slipped from her support when a sudden call arrived. She happily answered it.
 
"Ji Hyo-ya, are you ready?"
 
"Ne."
 
"You should come out of your place then."
 
"Huh? But where should I go?"


 
 
Jong Kook didn't answer and ended the call. She took her purse and curiously went out. As she reached the gate, she saw light coming from a black car.
 
"Kookie?"
 
 
 
 
Ji Hyo's Dress (and look)
 
 
hey
 
 
 

 
A/N: Office basketball from episode 32.