Chapter 4 - Surprises

Halfway Through

 

"Aish now what should I do?"

Seong Im walked farther and stopped when she was sure that Kim Jong Kook was no where to be seen.

 

"Where will I get money to pay him? I don't even have a place to sleep. Aishh pabo Seong Im, pabo! If you only went to that auditions." Seong Im suddely remembered that she wasn't acepted, yet again, but this time it hurts her more since she wasn't even able to give it a try.

Seong Im could be stubborn and arrogant as people see her but what they don't see that within that stubborness lies her persistence. She hates it when she doesn't give her best in everything she does.

"Aish I could have been accepted if only I arrived on time." Then she remembered what Chang Joo told her. You won't be accepted anyway. It broke her heart. Not only because what he said hurts, but also because it came from him. For a year Chang Joo had been with her to help her find a role in the industry. He was the one who comforted her when everyone else looked down on her. That's why she had always been grateful to him. She thought that for the first time, someone finally believes in her capabilities. But when she heard those words she just fell apart. 

She started to cry. She's sitting on a swing in a playground of the same park she was in. She always cried herself to sleep before Chang Joo arrived and since then this is the first time that she felt the same pain as before.

"S-seong Im pabo yah! W-why are you c-crying?" She tried to convince herself but she can't stop her tears from falling.

 

She wiped her cheeks to stop her tears from falling, but it's no use. Until a man suddenly appeared in front of her cupped her face and wiped the tears on her face with his hand. Kim Jong Kook~

For some reason, her tears suddenly stopped falling. Her once teary eyes looked into the eyes of the man in front of her and she felt weird. She can't describe what she felt so she thought that maybe she's embarrassed. She doesn't like it when people catch her crying that's why she thought that may be the reason why she suddenly stopped crying. She then became aware of their situation and felt her face becoming red. Their faces were just a few inches away. She was still looking into his eyes deeply and he did the same, while his hands are still holding her face.

"W-wae?" Seong Im said nervously afraid that if she moves their faces might become close enough and-.

 

Her thoughts were suddenly disturbed when he suddenly smiled and moved his hands pulling her head gently to his. She was shocked. Her whole body felt a jolt of electricity. She closed her eyes and her face is probably as red as cherries. Instead of soft lips pressing on hers, which is what she thought she would feel, she felt a warm skin against her forhead. She opened her eyes and saw that Jong Kook pressed their foreheads together.

She felt warm. He did not only made her forget the coldness of the wind but he also made her heart feel warmer. She forgot about the pain that she was feeling. She felt nervous and safe at the same time.

She closed her eyes, wishing that, that moment could last forever. If only he could be there forever and give her security.

 

They stayed like that for a few minutes. When Jong Kook felt that she's feeling better, he slowly moved away from her. Before removing his hands, he wiped the tears on her cheeks and then he sat on the swing beside her and stayed quiet.

Seong Im didn't know what to say, but the place felt more comfortable even with silence. It's as if, they both didn't need to say a word. Still, she tried.

 

"W-why are you here?" she didn't face Jong Kook but she felt that he looked at her.

"I don't know."

 

Seong Im frowned in confusion as she looked at him.

"What do you mean?"

"I-I mean I was going to pass here too and I saw you sitting there talking to yourself."

"Y-you heard everything?"

"Hmm, I guess."

"Oh!" Seong Im felt embarrassed. She told him that she'll pay him right away.

 

Jong Kook thought of what he heard. Where will I get money to pay him? I don't even have a place to sleep. He thought of letting her sleep in his apartment since it's big enough for the two of them. But he hesitated since she's a woman and they don't know much about each other. But then he couldn't just lend her money and make her find a place to sleep, it's late and he didn't want to let her walk along the streets alone. Not that I'm that much concerned but it's very dangerous.

"What's dangerous?" 

 

Jong Kook was shocked. He must have said his thoughts out loud.

"Well you know, it's almost midnight and you can't be walking alone looking for a place to sleep."

"Uhh yeah, but I have no choice."

"Well I could offer that you sleep in my apartment tonight or until you find a place. I know it's kind of weird and uncomfortable but that place is big enough, we can still have privacy. I live alone anyways, I insist that you accept my offer than wandering off this city."

"I-" Seong Im didn't know what to say. She would love to but it's too much for her. He really had been a great help to her. She didn't know how to thank him. But then she thought that he's right. She needs to be alive so she could repay what he had done for her.

 

"I'll be glad to accept your offer but please take this." she took something from her bag and gave it to him.

"Ahh you don't have to-"

"Please take it. It would make me feel more comfortable. Let's say it's a collateral."

 

It was a silver necklace with a snowflake as a pendant with ice blue gems around it, that she's been keeping all this while. She thought of selling it but she couldn't. It is very important to her.

"You'll just have to keep it and of course you can't lose it. At least I-"

 

Jong Kook smiled for he knew what she wanted to say.

"Arasso. If this will make you comfortable, I'll keep it."

"Don't lose it okay?"

"Ne." Jong Kook smiled at her.

 

When they arrived at the place Seong Im was amazed. She never really had time to see the place before.

"Galleria Foret?"

"Ahh yes."

 

Galleria foret is an expensive apartment in Seoul. It has two buildings with 45 floors each, located in Seongsu-dong at the northeastern side of Seoul Forest. Woah he's like super rich. Seong Im looked in awe when they were inside the lobby. Her eyes can't stop looking at the ceiling, stairs and even the floor. It's my first time in a luxurious place.

Jong Kook noticed her looking everywhere in the middle of the lobby so he called her attention.

"Seong Im-ah kaja!"

 

He started walking to the elevator so Seong Im ran to him.

"This place is amazing. You have a room here?" Seong Im still can't believe her eyes.

"It's a gift. From my parents." Jong Kook said as the elevator doors close.

"Woah jinjja? Aish it would have been nice to have parents that rich."

"I wouldn't recommend it." Jong Kook said it with a serious tone making her stop from talking but still amazed with the elegant place she's in.

 

"Woah your room is huge." Seong Im didn't realize it when she first saw the place.

"Enough to give you and me some space in case you feel uncomfortable."

"Ahh mianhe! I know this is too much-"

"I said feel comfortable."

"Ahh ne- but still uhmm, thank you." Seong Im said while looking to the side and pouting her lips.

 

Jong Kook smiled looking at her embarrassed face.

"You look cute." he purposely said it to make her feel more shy.

"What? Ahh, err, ohh." her face turned red making him laugh.

"So you're a girl huh."

 

Seong Im suddely changed as if there's a black aura coming from her. Jong Kook was scared, he didn't know that she changes personality in a split second as if turning into an evil witch from being a sweet princess.

"Mwuhragoo?"

"Ahh-nothing, nothing I am wrong." he said while bowing his head. As soon as he looked up, a pillow came flying to his face.

"Not because you help me, you could insult me you know?" Then another pillow flew but this time he dodged it.

"I was just teasing you. No need to be all crazy!"

"Crazy?"

"C-come on let's just eat." he tried to calm her.

 

She suddenly looked calm and fixed her clothes.

"O-okay." she said while looking away from his eyes.

"So that's your weakness huh?" Jong Kook whispered.

"What?"

"Ohh nothing. Let's eat." he smiled leading her to the kitchen.

 

"How can a woman eat that many?"

"Wae? I'm tired you know? From all that running you made me do."

"What? You ran by yourself. And it's not even that far."

"It's not far for you. You look like you do running for a living." Seong Im said while slurping down the noodles she's eating.

"Ya! I'm not like that."

"Whatever."

"Aish! Hurry and finish that so I could wash the dishes."

"Ahh no! I'll wash them." she said after swallowing a peice of meat.

"Arasso, arasso. Stop eating too much." But she didn't hear him instead she continued eating.

 

Behind the wall a little far away from the dining table, Jong Kook leaned his body and crossed his arms. He stared at her from that distance appreciating her arrival in his life. It had been so long when he last felt this kind of happiness. He then continued what he was going to do when she almost looked to his direction.

 

"You could sleep here."

"Huh, isn't this your room?"

"Ahh yes but the other room is empty. Actually, this place isn't done yet. I kind of went ahead of the time that I should be here." Jong Kook said not wanting to reveal that he ran away from his parents.

"Oh, so by empty, there's no bed?"

"Ahh yes."

"Pabo. Then I should be the one sleeping there."

"Ahh no-"

"Is that blanket for that room?" she pointed to the thick blanket he was holding.

"Yes."

 

Seong Im took the blanket and headed to the other room.

"Ohh there's a mat here and pillows."

"I placed it there."

"Then it's nice enough for me to sleep. If you won't mind I'll take this room." Seong Im said while going to the mat, sitting and spreading the blanket on top of her body.

"Will this be okay? I think it's much better than the sofa. But-"

"Yes, yes. Thank you and good night. Please close the door and turn off the lights before you leave."

"Kure. Sleep well."

 

Weeks passed by and Jong Kook had been going to Gap Jin's studio for recording. Seong Im found a job in a coffeehouse and is just waiting for her salary to move out from Jong Kook's place.

"I'll go back and pay the money I owe you." Seong Im said while looking happy because of finally starting over again.

"You know you don't have to."

"Ya! I still have to get my necklace back and I have to pay for it."

"Is that the only reason why you're going to visit me?"

"Wae? Do you want to see me everyday?"

"No. But I need someone to do the chores for me."

"YA!" they laughed together while Jong Kook felt a little bit sad and happy at the same time.

 

That night ended with both of them looking forward to the next morning. 

 

The next day started the same with Seong Im leaving early for her work. Jong Kook was about to leave when someone suddenly rang the doorbell.

Jong Kook was startled for he wasn't expecting any visitors. He looked through the peephole and saw a man in a black suit. He opened the door and was shocked to see not just a man but five of them. And one of them walked closer to him.

The last time he saw that man was from a really long time ago. Long enough for him to be surprised when he saw his face. His presence was full of power and it looked like the 4 other men are his bodyguards.

He took all his guts to finally utter a word.

"Abeoji."

 

 

 

SEONG IM'S NECKLACE

 

 

GALLERIA FORET

GALLERIA FORET'S LOBBY