Chapter 23 - Going to London

Halfway Through

Ji Hyo regained consciousness to the busy beeps of the hospital. Her body felt numb, maybe from the painkillers she took before dozing off to sleep. Throat feeling dry, she reached for the water from the table beside her bed, but as soon as she held it with her hand, her grip melted weak and the misty glass strummed the floor with its pieces. Next to the shattering echoes, her room was disturbed by a door bursting open and a worried businessman rushing to her side. 

 

"Ji Hyo, are you okay? What happened?" His words came out in an incredible speed that he finished before the door could slam behind him. "Let me see your hands." He examined her smooth palms shakily and she weakly chuckled in return. "What?"

"I'm fine. You're worrying too much." Her statement sounded like a tease. 

"I'm sorry." The apology was recited halfheartedly. He was indeed worried, terribly. Ji Hyo adjusted her seat and he gave her a new glass of water to drink. "Are you okay now?"

"Yeah. I think so. Where's my dad?"

"I think he's on his phone. You want me to call him?"

"No." The actress fidgeted her fingers on the water container. Her lips were pursed and her eyes seemed to find the transparent liquid very interesting. "Did someone else visit?" She murmured casually, hands tightening around the poor glass. 

"Yeah. Lizzy did, want me to call her?" He tried to divert her attention to other people, anyone, anything except that. His guts started to tie knots as he watched the distressed eyes  of the person he skipped his meals for. "You're asking if he was here?" The question made him want to gag. 

"What, me? No!" Her high pitched tone, twitching nose and ceaselessly blinking eyes, explained what she really meant to say. "I know it's stupid. I yelled at him the last time we met, but did he visit?" She admitted before he could protest.

He closed the gap between his lips, discreetly pondering on what he should tell her, as if his reply would determine his future. "No." He finally sputtered, hoping that he was a better actor than her.

And maybe he does deserve an award because Ji Hyo's eyes started to darken and he was perplexed as to which he should comfort first, her glassy and slumping eyes or his wobbly knees. And by god, he hated those eyes because he let her go on, throwing himself to a pit. "While I was sleeping because of all the medicine, I dreamt about him." The bitter taste of the drugs seemed to have slid its way to her tongue that her brows began to crease. "He told me he loved me and I'm not sure how to put it, but my heart felt like exploding." Somehow, that part was sweet enough to revert her scowl to a tiny laugh and the exaggeration bore a hole in Jin Hyuk's chest that he barely contained himself from retreating. "I ran to him. I ran and ran because I wanted to hug him and forever hold his hand, be under his embrace, but when I finally caught up to him,-" Her voice melted into a squeak. "-he vanished."

Stories weren't supposed to hurt the way he was digging his nails on his palms, but watching how her eyes sparkled as she mentioned her heart's contents and the exact opposite look she had when her nightmares were spoken, made him miss the bedtime fairy tales he was told. It was dreadful to watch her love someone else and to hear it from her sweet and innocent lips, was painfully incomparable. "You don't need someone who hurts you." The statement was directed more to him than to the actress, but he didn't pull back. He had to say it because he was finally ready to risk the relationship they built. All of the memories that could dissolve so quickly with the air like a mist. The foundation he intricately protected, finally being attacked by his own means. "I'm here, Ji Hyo and I'm never going to hurt you. Go back to London, with me. They want you there, I need you there."

 


Ji Hyo didn't want to slip another selfish and childish whines to her adored friend, but her subconscious longed for Kim Jong Kook. Her knees trembled when she heard that he didn't visit, but she still can't hate him. And it was disturbing, more so now. After hearing the confession from the man she leaned on over the past, uncountable years. She blinked the seconds away, not sure if it was all a friendly advice taken the wrong way, but his eyes proved his sincerity. And it was...tempting.

Who wouldn't want a life without worries, with someone you trusted, when the whole world ganged up on you? She remembered the time when Jin Hyuk invited her to a fancy dinner. Fancy might be putting it humbly because if she wasn't used to his grand rendezvous, she would have thought that she was attending a royal wedding. The whole hall was turned into a restaurant for two. A chandelier hung on the 20 foot high ceiling and a violin hummed from afar. In front of her stood a small table covered in silk ecru, silverwares shining that she could see the mirror of her fingers as she touched them, a course served in an ample amount, you'd know it was a delicacy, and a very well-dressed gentleman. A confidant she'd forever be grateful to, smiling at her with his protruding cheekbones, only making him a tad bit more handsome. 

And London. The city that recognized her. Her haven and home where the wind accompanied you in every step you take, never letting you go on alone. It didn't laugh in her face when she tried to be herself. Isn't that what she wanted? To be respected in her job, the dream she desperately chased. Now, she was a foot away from having it. Why bother saying no?

 


Jong Kook felt like they were back to where they were, exactly 8 years ago. Ji Hyo is leaving and he's about to lose her again. It was like his life was being taken away for the second time. He doubted if he can go through it all once more when he barely got out the first one.

He called everyone who might know where Ji Hyo was and he went to every single place they suggested, until finally arriving at the airport. If he could, he'd hit himself for not going there sooner. During his 3 hours of running around, her plane probably left and is already sending her far away from him.

He swerved the roads, hungrily pressing on the gas pedal, ignoring every possible danger he might encounter. Right behind his tail, he guessed the presence of his manager. Gap Jin might be thinking that he has a tendency to do stupid things when it comes to her. And he could be right because in a flash, he was out of his car with a credit card in one hand and a passport on the other.

It was another speed test, until someone stopped him mercilessly from behind. "Where are you going?"

"I was going inside, until you pulled me." Jong Kook complained. "How did you get here so fast anyway?" He practically raced his way to the airport, making sure that no one can keep up. Gap Jin looked defeated for some reason, but he decided to just leave him there than to pry.

"Ya!" The younger one blurted, claiming him back. "Are you really going inside? Then, what, you're going to London?"

"Yes!" He was getting impatient that he was able to fight his arm back. "If that's what it takes for me to see her and tell her how I feel, I'd do it." It was a good thing that they were still far from the people entering the airport since he was screaming with his loud, but broken voice. "I know you're thinking that I've gone crazy and I don't blame you, but I have to do this. I just have to hear from her for the last time if we could ever work out because I'm madly in love with her, Gap Jin-ah. I *am* crazy for her. I'd rather hear her say that she doesn't want me in her life one more time, no matter how much it would kill me, than to not hear her voice at all." He ended breathlessly, his head was spinning and his eyes were heating up. While trying to keep himself together, a huge hand covered the edge of his shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze.

"No, you're not crazy, hyung, but she's not in there. And London? You don't know a thing about that place. How are you even going to find her when you get there?" Gap Jin pulled away from his space as he breathed out his own concerns. "Besides, you're going to leave a lot of people here, hyung, are you sure you want that?"

 

Maybe it was the look on Gap Jin's eyes or the truth about his words, Jong Kook didn't know, but he chose to stay. And the farther he was from the airport, the more thoughts flooded his mind. Maybe, he was doing the right thing. His family is here, though their faces were seen by him occasionally, he never stopped thinking about their well-being. The people he met in his journey are here, his running man family, no words could describe how thankful he is that he met them. His job is here, his career and his dreams. How could he leave all of these? Just for a woman.

Before he could drift off to his own world, a bump shook the concentration out of him. Gap Jin kept quiet the whole ride and he appreciated it very much, but seeing that they're in an unfamiliar building made him conclude that going home wasn't his manager's priority, but a business meeting. And he wasn't ready for that so he tried to ask for another favor. "Can we do this next time or tomorrow? I just need a few hours."

The car was already parked when the driver looked at him with a smug. "Oh, you wouldn't want to miss this meeting. It's very urgent."

He was utterly confused when he was told to go inside alone. If Gap Jin is pulling off some tricks to try and make him feel better, he was definitely doing it wrong. Nothing could possibly heal the wounds he was dealing with at the moment.

The initial reaction of not knowing where he was shifted to an odd recognition of the lobby that welcomed him. He tried to remember, but his exhausted brain failed him. He settled on believing that he did go to the place once or twice, but it is not something he should concern himself with. He was in the midst of focusing himself on his job when things started the get weirder. The floor of the said conference room was the last one and it had one door, probably leading to the rooftop. He doubted if he was even awake because when he opened the lone exit, hundreds of lit up candles were sprawled on the floor. They were helping the tiny sparkling stars to brighten up the dark roof deck. They illuminated the beautiful set up of flowers he couldn't identify, but he was sure they were magnificent. And if things could get any better, he imagined she was standing there, right in front of him. He would've mentioned her name, but the chance of it being a dream stopped him. He was fine with this and if time stopped, he'd be glad.

 

Ji Hyo's heartbeat raced when the door slowly creaked open. It could easily be someone with a bad news because she had doubts about pulling this off properly. She wanted to move and release the heightened tension in her body, but her toes were glued to the ground, her arms hung tightly beside her and she couldn't find the interest to look around. One last time, she wished he'd be the one to open the door.

Her lips curled, battling between crying and smiling when she saw the brown locks from the one man walking up to her. He squinted at the haphazard preparations and she subtly smirked when his temples relaxed at the view. Ji Hyo's confidence had long left her, but when she gazed upon those dazzling eyes, she knew that words were needed to be said. 

"I couldn't find a reason for me to do this because you've done too much for me to deserve you. Every time I disappointed you, gave you less of my time, and threw you hurtful words, I was terrified you'd leave." She was finally able to raise her hands and cover the gasp she couldn't keep before trailing back to the man in front of her. "I was broken and putting me back together was not your responsibility, yet you never stopped trying. You never gave up on me." She slowly bent her knees, kneeling down in front of him and she shakily took out the tiny box she hid in her pocket. "And if you do give up now-," She managed to croak out as tears started to stream down her cheeks. "I will chase you until you want me back." Ji Hyo lifted the deep blue case, opening it before him and revealing the silver stained ring. "Kim Jong Kook, will you let me follow you-," A sob hindered her from continuing without wallowing in cries, but she tried to manage herself. "Follow you around, forever?"

They said that the slowest seconds of your life happens while you're waiting for a 'yes', but Ji Hyo swore it wasn't anything like that. Her pulse was abnormally thumping, the wind was blowing rapidly that she felt a tiny cyclone building around her. Her mind wildly flashed different thoughts, from the feeling of Jong Kook's hands, his soft and bouncy curls, the way his lips parted, his scent around his clothes that she borrowed, down to his sweet, deep voice. It was so fast that her breath couldn't keep up, but then it all stopped when a warm and gentle body wrapped around her. A gesture so much better than a 'yes'. If time stopped, she'd be glad. 

 

Jong Kook wanted nothing, but to have her in his arms, inhaling her scent and memorizing every detail. He pressed a kiss on her forehead before letting go and taking a sight of the face he missed. He tried wiping the tears off her cheeks, but they refused to stop falling. Slowly, a grin formed on his lips. "Were you asking me to marry you?" He knew that Ji Hyo was far from being able to answer his question, but she bobbed her head to his amusement. "I don't think that was the appropriate question, Ji Hyo-ya." He started giggling and Ji Hyo's flushed face gave him a frown. He guessed that she was already annoyed at his antics, but her cuteness just made him go on. "I thought you were leaving?"

"I-." Her shoulders still rose and fell as she spoke. "I wasn't."

"What? Did you lie?" He asked as if talking to a child who stole candy. 

"I wanted it to be a surprise." She murmured in a straight voice. "I thought I was trying to get you by following my dreams. I thought that if I become an actress worthy of respect, I'd be closer to you, but little by little-," She entwined her small fingers around his, it was as if she didn't want to let go. "You drifted away, so far that I thought I'd lose you. Only then did I realize how wrong I was because I don't need those titles, I need you, only you. You *are* my dream, oppa. You're the dream that I will never stop chasing."

And she was his and always will be. He kissed her tangled hand while looking at the depth of her brown orbs. "I'll marry you, Ji Hyo." 

Jong Kook felt like drowning when she chuckled sweetly, her laugh intoxicating. He can't believe he's going to spend his life with her. She picked the ring out of its case and put it on him. "Ha! It fits."

"I can't believe I wasn't the one who asked." He managed a pout, trying to hear her angelic giggles again. 

She rolled her eyes, but her smile never left her face. "You can't top this you know?"

"How did you know about this place?" He confirmed that they were at the rooftop where he was supposed to surprise her before she left. It had the view of the Han River and the city's skyline.

"Gap Jin-oppa told me." Everything was starting to make sense and he acted out a look of disbelief. 

"Ohh, so he's part of your little play?" She nodded cheerfully. "Jae Suk oppa?" Her answer was the same. "The people I called?" She confirmed once again and he laughed at the memory of it. "You made me run around the city for this?"

She pursed her lips while acting as if she was innocent. "Well, you won't stay put and I had to prepare so, yes."

"It was my fault? What would you have done if I did go to London?" He tested. 

"I'd follow you." The answer caught him speechless. 

He snorted a relief. "You're not leaving, then?"

"Oh, I am." She turned to her pocket and took out pieces of paper. He grimaced at the plane tickets and suddenly, the candles were more interesting now. "Oppa." She called, cooing. "I am going to London. We both are."

His brows creased and he grabbed the flimsy papers, almost crumpling them and he heard Ji Hyo scold him about it. The papers were printed with their names and he couldn't hide the jittery smug on his lips. "Is this real?"

"I already asked Gap Jin-oppa for a few days off your schedule. He was very nice to let you go for 4 days." He wasn't sure if he was excited because they're having a vacation together or because Ji Hyo's not leaving, not anymore, not ever. He settled for both, lunging at his fiancée for a quick and playful kiss. 

 


"Ahh, oppa. Hurry up!" Ji Hyo pushed the half-asleep Kim Jong Kook out of his apartment while pulling his luggage from behind. "I'm going to kill those oppas for making you drink a lot last night." She mumbled a few curses for trusting her Running Man coworkers with Jong Kook last night. They're almost late for their flight and she would sue her oppas if they miss it.

"Ji Hyo." He whispered across her neck as he rested his forehead on her shoulder on their way down the lift. Ji Hyo felt his warm breath through her thin sweater and the shiver down her spine didn't help her carry his weight. If this is how they're going to spend their vacation, Ji Hyo thought that she'd rather leave him inside this elevator. 

And as she expected, Jong Kook was still yet to be sober on the way. Their plane ride took forever with her boyfriend sleeping the whole time. To her frustration, she had to drag their stuff out of the cab and into the hotel while the singer unconsciously floated beside her. She ripped the day 1 of their itinerary apart, carefully tutting out of the room with a tiny camera on hand.

 


Jong Kook came to a dimly lit room, a warm cover wrapped around him and a headache demanding to be felt. He tried to gather his bearings as he slowly spun his legs for his feet to reach the floor. His stomach growled for attention and he instinctively looked for something to munch on. He scanned the room and the teacup from the table caught his eye. The drink was full, but it had turned cold, making him realize his grievous mistake.

He picked up a pair of thick trousers and a coat and dashed out of the hotel to look for Ji Hyo. How could he still be sleeping when he, of all people, knew very well, how much Ji Hyo invested in planning their trip? She got down to every second and every detail, brushing off the limited hours of her sleep to make this the perfect vacation. 

And he ruined it. How could he do this to her? He really despised those evil drinks, out of all the days to knock him out, it had to be today. It was night time already and the hotel lobby's clock showed that it was almost 8 in the evening. He already missed a lot of activities and now he doesn't know where to find her. Their mobile phones were useless and the city was too big for him to run around, looking for her. Maybe a huddle, people here might recognize her and would be asking for her autograph. He scanned for evidences of the possibility he laid out and after a few steps around a couple of blocks, he was still alone. 

Where would Ji Hyo go? Knowing her, she wouldn't want to be disturbed. A nice and quiet place is his best bet, but that seemed to be impossible for a lot of people walked everywhere he could lay his eyes on.

And then he heard a loud chime echoing through the air. He diverted his eyes to the giant clock tower, displaying the 8th hour of the night. Fireworks. Ji Hyo said something about watching a fireworks display at 8 while she was scrolling through her laptop and was casually resting her legs on top of his stomach. And like a CG effect, a burst of colors sprung to the air, a few meters away from where he was standing.

 

 

The show still ran when he saw the huge crowd hovering at the source of the lights. He slowed down his steps, scanning the faces as quickly as possible, until his eyes caught on the emerging silhouette from the alley. 

"Oppa." Ji Hyo's cheeky smile became visible as soon as she passed the streetlamp and his worries subsided, almost immediately. Her momentum pushed him back a little bit when she tackled him into a hug. He sputtered an 'aw' from the impact and excitement, but soon squeezed her in return. 

"Are you okay?" He voiced out the question that's been running inside his head a while back.

She nodded with a childlike smug, still not leaving her cheeks. They were now side by side, arms still behind each other. "You're awake."

"I'm sorry I ruined this day." He pulled her closer. 

"You didn't. I was just sad because you didn't see the places I've listed for us today, but I took pictures so you won't miss out." 

"We're not going to see them again?" He added, a little jealous. 

"No." She replied abruptly. "There are loads of stuff that we have to do and I'm not missing those just because you're not sober."

"There she is. I thought you were really going to lay me off." He commented at her sudden shift to Bad Ji Hyo. 

She sent him a sharp glare and she pulled away from his side. "Wha-? I carried you all the way from Korea, you big, fat, man." 

"Fat? I dare you to point out the 'fat' on my body." He spread his arms wide open. 

Ji Hyo stared at him from head to toe and a dark gaze slowly mirrored her eyes that he slightly squirmed away. That's when he felt a sting on his chest with a quiet 'here' from her before she dashed off to the outskirts of London. He tumbled a bit when he regained his composure to chase down the sly, little woman that she is. 

The woman he cared for more than anyone else. The woman, so precious, he'll forever be thankful that he met her. This woman is his dreams, his future. And no, she wasn't just a woman, she never was and she never will be. She is the love of his life, Song Ji Hyo, his everything.

 


 

A/N: Hello! I'm sorry for hurting you in the previous chapter. ^^ I did cut it off at the worst moment, but here's my peace offering. Also, to quote Ji Hyo, 'I wanted it to be a surprise.' and I hope I did surprise some of you.

I always read your comments so feel free to drop some.