Chapter 10 - Commander?

Halfway Through
 
♦ ♦ ♦
 
Ji Hyo sat inside her dressing room excited for the last scene. She came back to Korea a few months ago and was very happy to film her first drama there. Today, is the final shooting day for Goong. So far she's happy that the viewers are accepting their drama warmly and some Koreans are recognizing her, as Song Ji Hyo. But one person still haven't noticed her presence in the country. She heard that he's currently a famous artist and had produced quite number of songs. 
 
She's happy for him. He's finally living his dream. Maybe that's why he wanted me to leave, maybe I'm a distraction. She shrugged her thoughts, actually the past doesn't matter to her. She just badly want to see him. In fact, she's his number one fan in London. While studying, she learned about his songs. She bought every album and listened to them countless times, in the middle of some of them, she would cry. She didn't know why a man, named Kim Jong Kook, would make her submit to him that despite all the pain that he has brought to her, she still longed for him. Maybe because he made me feel safe. She would always guess. 
 
"Ji Hyo!"
 
"Wha-uwa! You shocked me what's wrong with you?" A man is in front of her face when she opened her eyes but he immediately stood properly right after she saw him.
 
"I've been calling your name for a while now, how could you sleep like that? Do you practically sleep anywhere at anytime?" His deep voice resonated inside the room.
 
"Ya! Of course not. I wasn't sleeping."
 
"Well, you should get ready your scene is starting in a while. I can't believe I'm the one calling you." He said jokingly.
 
"Ya Ji Hoon-ah!"
 
 
Joo Ji Hoon looked at her, his eyebrows raised. 
 
"It was nice working with you. I'll miss you."
 
 
The man's eyes darted open and he was flustered. He just smiled and bowed and immediately left the room. Ji Hyo watched him leave. He had been really kind to her. He doesn't talk much around other people but with her he is much more comfortable. Being a new actress, it was very difficult for Ji Hyo to adapt but he would nicely offer a hand when she needs help, that's why they became really close.
 
Ji Hyo. Maybe Jong Kook hasn't heard of me since I'm Ji Hyo. She requested her stage name to be Song Ji Hyo. Ever since she was young, she'll think of names that would suit her and that name was the one that she loved the most and decided to keep it. And when she came back to Korea, she finally used the name. Her phone suddenly rang and she hurriedly pressed the green button. 
 
"Seong Im-ah." A deep voice sounded from the opposite line. 
 
"Ya, oppa! I said call me Ji Hyo."
 
The man chuckled. "Sorry but I'm not yet used to it. Anyways, I'm sorry that I bothered you but what are you doing?"
 
Ji Hyo smirked. "Why oppa? You miss me? I told you I'll be arriving there tomorrow. Make sure you'll be there at the airport."
 
"Uh-yeah. But you're really going back? Y-you don't have anything else to do?"
 
She was silent for a while. "Yeah, I guess I don't have anything else to do." She was sad for a moment. She came back to Korea, hoping to have a reason for her to stay.
 
"Then, I'll meet you at the airport tomorrow. I'll prepare your favorite meal."
 
"Ne. See you oppa."
 
 
 
"Cut! That was amazing Ms. Song. You're going to be an amazing actress." The director praised her final scene. She isn't the lead actress but she's happy with what she's worked for. 
 
"Thank you. Thank you." She bowed to everyone in the set. 
 
"Ji hyo." Ji Hoon came running towards her. 
 
She smiled to him in acknowledgement. 
 
"A-are you going to the dinner?"
 
"I have a flight to catch. I already told everyone that I can't come."
 
"Oh then...let's have lunch? My treat, before you leave."
 
"Sure. Let me just get my things...And I'll probably ask my manager to pack up,...and say goodbye to everyone." She smiled.
 
"Sure, take your time." He laughed at her blank expression while recalling what she had to do, as if she had a list for it inside her head. 
 
 
 
When Ji Hyo was about to reach the front door, he saw Ji Hoon waving his hands on the opposite side of the street. He's wearing glasses and a hat, a light disguise to not garner attention. She walked by the door and a man with a toned body walked beside her. She stopped on her track and stood there completely frozen. She can't be mistaken. She then turned around, and from a short distance, she could see the man removing his glasses and scarf, revealing the side of his face, which was enough for Ji Hyo to recognize him. Her heart jumped fast and she was in a daze. She waited for months for him to come, why must he arrive when she's leaving?
 
She came to her senses when he rode the elevator. She stumbled her way to the lift and it moved its way to the upper floors when she arrived in front of the closed doors. She came back in the filming site and she looked for him in every room. She saw the elevator stop on that floor before riding, and she wondered why he would go there. She can feel excitement but at the same time fear. She didn't know what to expect. How will he react when he sees me? Will he push me away again? Questions ran inside her mind making her more anxious to see him. 
 
 
 
Ji Hyo passed by a familiar room and her eyes got a glimpse of the man she's looking for. She took a few steps back and a tear fell from her eye. She felt her heart get crushed. Jong Kook hugged the star of the drama. She wanted to run away but she was frozen in place, until, she saw the woman kiss his cheeks as he gave him a cup of coffee which Ji Hyo guessed was caramel macchiato. Eun hye loves caramel macchiato.
 
Her small frame crashed along the walls of the fire exit as soon as the doors closed.  She felt herself melting and her small heart bursting. Her cries echoed inside the stairway. She hugged her knees and shoved her head between them. Why? Why am I hurting like this? I-I can't possibly...No...You just wanted to see him because you missed him...Then why am I in pain? Why do I feel like my world just fell apart? What have you done to me...Kim Jong Kook?
 
♦ ♦ ♦
 
 
 
Ji hyo rushed inside the hospital. She received a text message from Haha a while ago and the next thing she knew, she's running aimlessly, not minding the people around her. She was stopped by a group of people, pushing a stretcher with an unconscious man. Her heart flunked with that sight of him. She followed them as they bring him to a private room. She was about to enter with them but she stopped and turned around. She saw her old friend running from the opposite side of the corridor, going to her direction. Eun Hye-ssi? Ji Hyo walked faster with her legs trembling as she did. As soon as she reached a turn, she hid herself behind the wall. She panted as she sat down in one of the chairs.
 
 
 
Jong Kook rode his car with a heavy heart. He drove along an empty road and Ji Hyo's words a while ago, occupied his mind. He then saw a bright light nearing fast to his car and without knowing it, he fell unconscious. He found himself, awake in a cold room with echoing beeping sounds.
 
"Oh, o-oppa, you're awake."
 
He turned his head to the source of the voice and saw a nervous girl standing in front of him. "Eu-eun Hye-ack." He tried to speak but a pain surged to his head.
 
 
 
After a few minutes a doctor came in and checked on him. "It would be better if you'll get some rest." The doctor said. "You weren't injured badly but you'll have some aftershocks from the accident like fever or headaches, just like the one you felt a while ago. It will come often since your brain experienced trauma from the accident which may cause these abnormalities but I already told your mom about the prescribed medicine and treatments you'll need during recovery. And of course we'll observe your progress." He excused himself and left the room.
 
What he's saying isn't really processing in his head. He was more curious to hear the reason why his mom's there. "Umma?"
 
"Ne?" Her mom, who is a cheerful ahjumma for him, faced her gleefully as if she's happy to see him hurt. His father kept his vow to not support him in anyway, in fact, he never saw him since then. But his mom would sometimes appear without notice and 'annoy' him with continuing his residency or chant her wishes for him to marry and have children.
 
"What are you doing here-ouch."
 
"Ya, my son, stop talking, your nagging won't get you a girlfriend." She smacked his arm and flared eyes looked at him.
 
Eun Hye laughed beside her mom and he blushed, feeling embarrassed about his mom hitting him like a child. "Ya! Umma, I'm not a kid anymore."
 
"You talk like one."
 
"But Eun Hye-ssi, why are you here?"
 
 
 
Eun Hye flinched at the sound of him calling her with honorifics.
 
"What kind of question is that Jong Kook-ah? And why do you act like a stranger to her? Act like a man." His mom scolded him. She knew Eun Hye. She would even send gifts to her from different countries when she travels, and Eun Hye does the same.
 
"Ani, it's okay eomonim. Actually oppa, I called Gap Jin oppa a while ago since I was going to visit you but he suddenly said you were involved in an accident so I rushed here instead. I also called eomonim on my way here."
 
"You called her?" He exclaimed hearing how his mom got there. 
 
"Why what's wrong with that?" His mom whined and he hated it. Actually he loves her, he really does, but he pities her for having him as her son.
 
 
 
Their conversation was interrupted when a group of men entered the room. 
 
"Jong Kook-ah I thought you're a commander how come you're in a hospital." Jae Suk entered the room with a basket of fruits. He bowed as soon as he saw the two ladies. "Sorry to barge in but the doctor said we may visit you, how are you?"
 
He looked beside Jae Suk and found Haha, Kwang Soo and Gary entering the room. He waited for more to come but no one entered the door.
 
"If you're looking for the others, they'll come in a while. The media's slowly getting aware of your accident, we wouldn't want them to disturb you here. Gap Jin's outside too." Jae Suk said when he noticed him staring at the door, for a rather long time. 
 
"Hyung." Kwang Soo and the two kids hugged him. "We thought we'd lose you." Haha cried like he's shooting a movie. "Don't ever do that again." Kwang Soo added. Their acts resulted to a smack on their heads and a yell from their hyung.
 
"What do you think you guys are doing?"
 
"Eeeyyyy." They exclaimed and the room filled with laughter.
 
"I guess even if you only eat green stuff you wouldn't live for 200 years." Haha told him and the short man got a pillow flying to his face while trying to take a seat. 
 
 
 
After a while, Jong Kook had to drink his medicine. Soon after, he fell into a deep sleep. The members of the variety show decided to leave but the rest who hadn't arrived yet entered the door.
 
"Aish, too bad he's fallen asleep already? We bought chicken s for him." Suk Jin and Joong Ki showed the 4 bags of chicken s they're holding. 
 
Ji Hyo then follwed from behind them. "Annyeonghaseyo." She bowed.
 
"Oh-you came with them?" Jae Suk asked her.
 
"No, we met her when we were going inside the tea shop. We were planning to buy some for hyung but she already did." Joong Ki interrupted.
 
"What's that? Green tea? Jjang! Oppa loves that. It's nice to see you again, unni! How did you know oppa likes this?" Eun Hye greeted her. She was excited to find her there after a really long time of not seeing each other. She hugged Ji Hyo and took the tea from her hands and placed it on the table.
 
"Ne. It's nice to see you too." 
 
 
 
Ji Hyo didn't talk much. A while ago, she walked outside the hospital and saw Jae Suk and the others enter while holding a basket of fruits. She got an idea of buying something for him and follow them inside, so it would appear that she just arrived to visit him like the others. That's when she met Joong Ki and Suk Jin and now she's just looking at the man sleeping on the bed. A woman eyed her and smiled at her actions. The rest talked for a while and ate their gifts for Jong Kook. After an hour, they all left including Eun Hye, leaving Jong Kook's mom behind.
 
 
 
The next morning, Ji Hyo immediately went to the photo shoot that she cancelled the previous day. Her new manager, that the company Ji Hyo just joined in, assigned, picked her up along with a new stylist. 
 
"Ji Hyo-ssi, annyeong. I'm Kim Kang Hyeon." The manager greeted her. "Kim Bo Mi's here with me. We'll take care of you."
 
 
 
Ji Hyo just looked at them and didn't bother to smile or say hi. She just sat inside and they kept quiet along the way. She didn't trust them. I wonder what tattle-tales they've heard about me.
 
 
 
The photo shoot took longer than expected. Ji Hyo was exhausted when they started to wrap up. Suddenly, her manager came running to her. She took her bag and was going to ignore him and ride the van until he stopped her. He was panting and was still catching his breath when he blocked her way.
 
"Ji-." He exhaled. "Ji Hyo-ssi. Someone's looking for you. She wanted to wait until you finish. She's been there inside the coffee shop across the street for hours."
 
"What? Who?"
 
Her manager shrugged. "She didn't tell me her name but she said that she knows you. She even showed me that she's a V.I.P in that coffee shop to prove that she's not a scammer or something. It's okay if you don't want to go, I'll just tell her-."
 
"No, it's okay. I'll go." She was curious to see who it was. Why would she wait for me to finish?  She was about to go but Kang Hyeon stopped her.
 
"Let me have your bag, I'll bring it inside the van." She was shocked but she gave it to him. "And wear these. People might recognize you." She looked at the scarf and glasses he's holding. It's the first time that a manager recognize her actress image. Her previous managers wouldn't initiate her to wear a disguise, instead, she'll remind herself. She accepted it and nodded.
 
Kang Hyeon smiled at her. "Don't worry Bo Mi and I will be watching from the van. You can call us if anything goes wrong."
 
 
 
Ji Hyo walked to the coffee shop in confusion. Well it's their job, isn't it? She then walked to the V.I.P area, it was really a high-end place. The furnishings looked classy and the lights were beautifully dimmed. It was serene and only a rhythm of classical music, enveloped the place. From the far end, a woman waved for her to come. She removed her disguise as soon as she neared the table. She bowed to her. Only then did she realize that she's familiar. 
 
"Please take a seat."
 
She followed. "I-."
 
"We met haven't we?"
 
"Ne. But-"
 
She smiled at her sweetly. "You probably don't remember, you looked dazed the previous night."
 
Previous night? She thought of where she saw her but she just blankly stared on the table.
 
The woman laughed. "You really are amazing. I loved the episode when you bickered with my son. Especially the one where you questioned him about his girlfriends, you nailed it. That tiger is no match for you." She giggled and Ji Hyo finally recognized her.
 
"Ah-Mrs. Kim. I'm so sorry. I didn't remember. I saw you in the hospital I just-." She fumbled with her words.
 
"Ani. It's okay, don't worry. And call me eomonim."
 
"Eomonim?"
 
"Ne. You're my son's friend aren't you?"
 
Ji Hyo bit her lip and nodded. She didn't want to let her know about her not so good relationship with Jong Kook.
 
 
 
"But why are you here eo-eomonim? You shouldn't have waited for me. Or you could have asked my manager to-."
 
"Aish let's not mind that. I insisted to wait for you." Her voice echoed with elegance. "Let's order something shall we?"
 
 
 
"So how's your work for today?"
 
"Uhh-it was a little tiring but I had fun. It was my dream to have this job since I was young."
 
"Really? You're parents must have supported you well."
 
She stopped for a while but she answered cheerfully . "They kind of didn't, physically. But I somehow think of my mom while I act."
 
She smiled to cheer her up. "I'll be willing to support you and cheer for you." The sweetest smile came from her lips.
 
Ji Hyo lightened up. "That would be my pleasure but it isn't necessary, eomonim. I wouldn't want to trouble you."
 
"Aish. It would have been amazing to have a daughter. Why did I have 3 sons?"
 
Ji Hyo giggled when she showed her frustration. Jong Kook got her eyes but definitely not her sweet attitude. "Three?" She knew he had a brother but she didn't know he had two of them.
 
"Ne. A big pain in the right?"
 
Ji Hyo laughed at her language. Who would have thought that a sweet, elegant woman could be as nagging as her son?
 
 
 
"I actually came to you because I'll be requesting something." She said as their desserts were served.
 
"What is it, eomonim?" She waited for her answer as if elluded by her that she's willing to do anything she'll ask.
 
"You know, Jong Kook kind of chose to separate from us, and he hates it when I visit and check on him. Recently, he was so stubborn to leave the hospital and go to work. That's why I would like to know if you could go to his place, check on him and take care of him until he fully recovers."
 
"Since you're persisting to leave the hospital, you should just call me or visit me if you don't feel well so we could have further tests, as I said abnormalities might happen. Normally, we don't allow this but so far your body is doing great, just don't get too stressed."
 
"Thank you doctor." Jong Kook said and  the doctor left. "See?"
 
"I'll check on you."
 
"No. I'm not a kid."
 
"Whatever Jong Kook-ah. I'll get someone to look after you then." She whispered.
 
 
 
"That wouldn't be a problem, that's-." She suddenly stopped after analyzing what she just said. 
 
Mrs. Kim just stared at her while smiling. 
 
"Me? W-watch over?"
 
"Yup. Is there a problem?"
 
"N-no, it's not t-that eomonim, but is it okay? I mean h-he's old enough to take care of himself, isn't he?" She laughed awkwardly.
 
"Ji Hyo-ya, no matter how old you are, you need someone to look after you, that's why people have friends, families and partners."
 
"But me?"
 
"Yeah. You're friends and you also film together, the best part is, you can handle his attitude. His stubornness will make him recover slowly. It would be better if you'll look after him. I know you have your job and all but you're the perfect person I can think of."
 
 
 
Ji Hyo was stunned. As much as she hates it, she's touched that Mrs. Kim trusts her enough to take care of her son. But doesn't he have a girlfriend? I'm sure Eun Hye will take care of him better. She wanted to ask but Mrs. Kim talked before her.
 
"Please, Ji Hyo-ya?" She pleaded and Ji Hyo felt embarrassed that a woman like her is doing that.
 
"Ani, I would gladly do it." She said half-heartedly. What could go wrong right? It's just going to be like I'm babysitting. A big, muscled man. Just the thought of it made her wanna cry. How could I face him after saying all those things? I'm sure this is going to be a total...mess.
 
"Really? Then it's settled. Thank you!" She cheered and stood up to hug her.
 
"Ne." She curled her lips and mouthed to herself. What the hell are you doing Song Ji Hyo?
 
 
 
They left the shop and she rode her van. She stared out the window and thought deeply of what she just promised to do. The doctor said that he should get better in 2-3 months. Here are the things that might happen to him and the treatment for each. She sighed. You've done it before Ji Hyo. You took care of Jin Hyuk for 5 months. What could happen? It's not like you're staying there anyways. You just have to make sure that he's...okay.
 
"Ji Hyo-ssi." Bo Mi called her.
 
"Huh-ne?" She stuttered.
 
"Are you okay, do you need to go to the hospital?"
 
"N-no. I'm fine." She paused for a while. "Let's go to Galleria Foret."
 
 
 
"Are you sure you're okay?" Kang Hyeon asked as she got off the van.
 
"Ne." She's finally off the car and is looking at the tall building.
 
"We'll see you tomorrow." 
 
She just nodded and the car left. As she stood alone, she looked up at the tall building and sighed. Here goes nothing.
 
 
 
She rang the doorbell. Since it's not her first time there, she easily found his room. Of course I know, how could I forget. Since no one was opening the door, she rang it again. She was waiting for 30 minutes already and her feet are killing her, so she sat behind the door. Could he still be outside? It's almost midnight. What if he transformed into a monster? Ji Hyo shook her foolish thoughts. She was really hungry that's why she can't think straight. The only thing she ate for the day were pasta, cake and coffee, the food that Mrs. Kim bought her. I'm pretty sure they were quickly digested because that was just 2 hours ago and my tummy is grumbling like crazy.
 
Aish, Kim Jong Kook, open the damn door. She cursed and forgot to control herself. She rang the doorbell a bazillion times in succession. When no one still answered, she called her manager to give her Jong Kook's phone number. When her phone beeped she immediately called him. If you're not going to answer this I'm going to kill you. She was shocked that on the third ring, someone picked up.
 
"Yeoboseyo?" The other line was silent so she thought that he might be playing a prank on her. "Ya! Kim Jong Kook. Where the hell are you? I've been ringing your doorbell since forever, open this freakin' door or I'll-" she heard things crashing and her heart skipped. "Ya, Jong Kook-ah what's happening?" She was flustered. She heard it again but this time it's louder. She threw her phone inside her bag and listened behind the door. She heard a big and heavy thing fall against the door and she suddenly felt herself being pushed backwards. The door was opening and Jong Kook was lying behind it.
 
She ran to his side and cupped his face. Her hands nervously touched his forehead. He's burning. She shook him lightly and tried to wake him up. "Ya! Jong Kook-ah what's happening?" She took the paper that Mrs. Kim gave her earlier. Her hands were shaking as she read it and when she put it back, she felt a tear falling from her eye. She took his arm and hung it around her neck. She tried to stand up but his weight pulled him back down. She was already panting and she was very exhausted. She lifted him once again but this time she gave her full effort. She finally managed to half drag, half carry him to the sofa.
 
As she was moving him, she felt something stinging from her right foot. She ignored it and carefully placed him down. She breathed heavily and then finally looked at her foot. She saw it bleeding. And when she touched it she winced in pain. She looked back to the path she walked and saw a shattered part of the vase on the floor. She held back her tears which was caused by the pain from her foot. She stood up and looked for the things she needs for Jong Kook's fever.
 
 
Ji Hyo touched his forehead again. She was kneeling down beside him and she smiled when she felt that his temperature has gone down.
 
"How could you do this? How could you be in this state when I'm still mad at you? Ya, Jong Kook-ah! How could you, commander? " She said as she caressed his forehead up to his hair. 
 
 

A/N: Finally! Sorry for the long wait! Hope you'll enjoy this and please look forward to the next one ^^! I'm pretty excited about it too. Comments and criticisms would be jjang!! You can also subscribe and upvote. But most of all, thank you for reading!!