Chapter 24 - Preparations

Halfway Through
Their heartbeats lulled the whispers of the tourists as Ji Hyo's head rested on Jong Kook's chest. He hugged her from behind and her arms were tangled with his. Every inhale gave her a soothing remembrance that Jong Kook is right beside her and he's not going to go away, at least not because of her. They watched the grounds as the London Eye twirled in the air, the vast land of Britain flashed numerous blinking lights below them and Ji Hyo was sure that this is a better sight than seeing the green pastures in the morning because the darkness gave it mystery, the land's one with the sky. Not knowing where you are exactly, but somehow it's alright, your heart knows that it is. Every second of doubts that clouded her before didn't even scare her now as she delved into the uncertainty of the dusk because now she knows that she can fully trust as long as she has him.
 
 
 
"Move back a little." Ji Hyo demanded, the gentle tune hummed faintly from where he stood. 
 
"I've been doing that forever." He yelled smugly in return with an intent to spite her. 
 
"Quit being such a whiny old man." His eyes lit up in delight after hearing the change in volume. The fact that he knew what could rile her up instantaneously amuses him. "There." She readied the lines signaling him to release the fluttering plastic kite that his hands were carefully gripping.
 
The colors flashed before his eyes as the giant butterfly took flight. He rushed to the jumping Ji Hyo who was waving her free hand in the air. She noticed his presence and she flashed him a smile, something he'd be keeping as a souvenir from the majestic country. He wondered why he ever questioned Ji Hyo's fondness with this place. Of course she'd love the freedom it offers, the serenity. Too bad they didn't follow the schedule she prepared for their trip. Her unending desire to go everywhere made them visit random stretches and the vast greenery and caressing air were his only clue that they're now outside the city.
 
"This is better than that machine throwing you over, isn't it?" The kite still glided smoothly with her control even when she peeped him a suspecting gaze.
 
"I wasn't even thinking about that." She was talking about the horrible ride they rode at the fair a few yards away. He was hazy after the multiple twists and turns and they ended up walking to this field to help him calm down. 
 
"I swear you were crying." She giggled sweetly, but somehow it was taunting. 
 
"Says someone who cried at the horror house." 
 
Her giddiness dropped flat. "That huge head fell directly in front of my face, who wouldn't get shocked by that? And just so we're clear I.DID.NOT.CRY." The flying colors started losing its altitude, but it didn't really interest them both now. 
 
"That's what they do. You should expect they'd put those up." He pointed out, as if it was the most obvious thing. 
 
"And you should expect that flying machines twist in the air." The couple near them slowly increased their distance, but she didn't bother to tone down her voice. 
 
He instinctively dragged her closer and hovered his hands over her lips. He felt her teeth gritting and a muffled complaint vibrated under his hold. "Ya, do you want to cover the morning papers?" Her eyebrows arched and another sound rippled through his arms. "I'm letting go if you promise to keep quiet." He saw her eyes shift as if she was considering it and she eventually gave him a nod. He loosened his grip and it was all under control until Ji Hyo reached out and bit his palm. "Ya!" She dashed through the lowly meadow, if he didn't hear it wrong, she snickered, leaving him and the poor butterfly kite to drift off the field. The last time she tried this out, they ended up sleeping in the hotel room with their tired and sore bodies, wasting a few hours from their already short vacation. He was about to complain aloud, but his heart skipped a beat when Ji Hyo touched the asphalt and fell almost simultaneously to the ground. "Ji Hyo."
 
Jong Kook could feel his hands turn cold and he was fairly sure that it wasn't because of the cold country breeze. He lifted his dragging weight almost too swiftly that he didn't even have the time to catch his breath. And he couldn't help, but exclaim a slight yelp when he saw Ji Hyo shifting beside the halted vehicle. His frozen hands grabbed her shoulders, his tongue stuttering from words that he, himself, couldn't understand. The blacking out of his senses was gone by the time the driver and Ji Hyo - who had surprisingly left his side without him noticing - calmly finished discussing the recent accident. Her Korean accent as she mumbled the words 'sorry' were the last thing he heard before he finally went back to looking her down.
 
"Oppa, will you stop with that? You're freaking me out."
 
"Freak-. Freaking you out?" He questioned in disbelief. "You just-you almost got hit by that car." He gave her an obvious look, but she grumbled in disinterest. "Now, I'm annoying?"
 
"No. That's not what I meant. Will you please calm down?"
 
He realized he was using a grip too tight just to keep her steady and he immediately let go, replacing the act with a few gentle pats. "I was just worried."
 
"I know, but don't be. It was my fault, not anyone else's and besides, I'm fine." Her lips formed a thin line while waiting for his reaction.
 
"You have to stop getting hit by cars." It was a very serious caution, yet Ji Hyo started to burst out into a fit of laughter. "I'm serious."
 
"You-." She chuckled a few more before continuing her statement. "You're right I do get into car accidents way more than normal." Her casual reply unconsciously creased his eyebrows that Ji Hyo perceived as a complaint. "But, yeah, okay. I should be careful."
 
"Ji Hyo-."
 
"Yup. I got it, oppa. Let's go back to the hotel?"
 
He halfheartedly nodded as she pulled him to get a cab back to the city. They were side by side during the ride, limbs touching and he was slowly recovering from the danger that Ji Hyo's attracted to.
 
"When you think about it, we met when you hit me with your car. Well, technically, I only saw you the morning after-." His deep sigh stopped her story, her head nodded in understanding as she bit her cheeks. "You didn't hit me that time, though. I think." He really didn't like hearing about her getting hurt, but he allowed her to  go on because he wants to hear everything that she wants to say. "The car accident thing, it happened to me before. Oh, no, not me." Her hands waved in the air before proceeding. "It happened to my mother. And I kind of saw it. Since I was still quite young, the trauma made me forget everything about it, but side effects had me faint that time when I almost got hit by you."
 
The new infromation processed in his mind like a missing puzzle piece, answering the question he had long forgot. "Is this the diagnosis at the hospital?" He reached for her hand, knowing that having learned this now is a definite change in her life and must be very huge to be handled alone.
 
"Roughly, yeah. The accident after I stormed out the restaurant finally brought the memory back." Jong Kook couldn't even begin to imagine how painful this must be on her part, so he pulled her closer, maybe it would ease her pain, as well as it did to his. "I kept on telling myself that it wasn't my fault, but I was so guilty that I actually made myself forget everything."
 
Her last words were barely a whisper, as if she was talking more to herself than to him. Soon after, she tucked herself under his chin and he instinctively wrapped his arms around her, humming a few pacifying melodies.
 
 
 
 
Jong Kook woke up, not even knowing when he dozed off. Ji Hyo was looking out the window from her side, arm stretched out across the cab while her fingers were still entwined with his. He squeezed their clasped hands to get her attention and she turned to him with wide opened eyes.
 
"We're almost there." Her voice was full of glee that he had to smile too.
 
He turned to his side and started watching the scenery as they passed by. It was almost sunset and he could only see the shadows of the buildings, rising and falling like a wave. The country looked normal and everything seemed to be in placr, but something was wrong. Three days were enough for him to recognize that they were not headed to the hotel. After taking a glance at his fiancée's reaction, he started doubting his conclusions. She knows this place pretty well, yet her energy remained at peak.
 
"We're here." She scurried to pass the bills to the cab driver and soon exited the vehicle.
 
He eyed his companion curiously, though she was too excited to spare him a glance. Instead, she dashed inside the three-storey London flat and he uncertainly followed her swift steps.
 
It took him a few minutes to inspect the tiny living room, equipped with a 24-inch television, a circular coffee table and a two-person couch. A painting of the Big Ben hung on the wall and a faint orange light shone from the window. He sat on the lounge chair, barely getting comfortable as he rummaged through the magazines he found under the center table.
 
"Want something to drink?" He would have believed that someone was there other than them if the voice didn't sound very much like Ji Hyo's.
 
"I think you should come here first."
 
The actress emerged from what he assumed was the kitchen, her lips were twitching, probably trying to suppress her joy. "Yes?"
 
"Do you mind explaining where we are?" Her sly smile appeared along with her sharp eyes as soon as he was over with his question. "You're scaring me, dear."
 
"I'm sorry. It's just that, it's been so long since I last went here." She took the small space left for her beside him.
 
"I'm guessing." He hummed, weighing his observations. "You lived here?"
 
She nodded. "I wanted to surprise you by bringing you here, but I'm really excited that I ruined it."
 
"Ruined? I never saw you this...happy. I'm thankful that you even thought about it." He took her tensed hands, trying to calm her down. "I never knew you had your own place. Didn't you live with Lizzy?"
 
"Yeah. I just recently got this flat. About 2 years?" Her breathing pattern started to go back to normal. "Still, I missed it very much."
 
"I can see that." They exchanged teasing looks and then something struck him. "Since we're here, shouldn't you be showing me around?"
 
 
 
The apartment was definitely an actress' as various shelves were filled with scripts rather than books. Some gave room to DVDs of her, probably, favorite artists and they were all pretty interesting, but one row of CDs got his utmost attention. Apparently, Ji Hyo owned every album of Turbo and a few from his own releases. He pulled one out and saw the name Turbo - in bold and silver with a red background - on the cover, their very first album. A rush of nostalgia occupied him and he remembered how some of those songs were actually written for, none other than, the owner of the disc.
 
"I was a fan."
 
"A crazy one. You have all of them." He teased, though he was still very surprised with his new discovery.
 
"Oh, shut up!" She snatched the case away from him and fixed it with her other collection. "Don't be too flattered, I was only head over heels with your stupid voice."
 
"Just my voice?" He tried to counter, but she was already on to the next room.
 
 
 
 
The vacation was over too fast that Jong Kook found himself working again. A ton of events and meetings were pushed back because of their short getaway that the getaway seemed like a dream. In fact, there are times when he gets this unsettling feeling that one day he might wake up and find out that everything was indeed, unreal. So he's been calling his adored actress in quantity more than necessary whilst telling himself that she'd understand. She'd appreciate his desperate urge to see her more than it would irritate her. Thankfully, she did. She answered every phone call and replied to his text messages as much as she could. Sometimes, he even noticed that she's been expecting them, bringing a confident smug to his lips.
 
He never realized that a lot could change in a week. He now frequently misses his once regular check up on her. Their job tangled and piled up into something that they can't plow through and sneak out off. It was a miracle when he sat one day with her soon to be wife in a white trailer, slightly smelling like polished leather, making him a little more uncomfortable than pleased.
 
"I just found out that I didn't get that role as a teacher, can you believe that?" Ji Hyo's voice slightly distracted him from the stinging smell.
 
"I told you, being a snob won't match her qualities." His nose twitched as he replied. "Do you think your manager could pick new seat covers?"
 
"These are new." She tapped the empty space beside her. "But if you read the script, she's actually that kind of person."
 
"Ohh, so that's why they smell like this. Well, the writers don't think so. Besides, you just got this new project, aren't you happy that you're not going to work overtime?"
 
"I guess so." She slowly leaned over his chest, clinging her arms around his waist. "So, did you do it?"
 
He sighed begrudgingly. "Not yet. Is there no chance for you to be there?" He peeked at her sinking face and saw her already closed eyes.
 
The response took a few minutes that he almost thought that she fell asleep. "I'm saving the day off for the actual dinner, oppa. I think it would be weird if we ask them to meet with us and I won't be there."
 
"Do we have to do this?" He was cynical about the idea of having a dinner with Ji Hyo and his family. In fact, he never thought of it, except when the actress introduced it to him a few weeks back. He gave his mom notice that a wedding was happening and she went on and on for an hour scolding and lecturing him. One of the reasons why he thought that meeting them wasn't the best idea. Still, he knew that Ji Hyo was right. They had to meet them eventually, but maybe he's just not sure if he's ready. The typical attitude of his mom would lead to inviting the last person he wanted to see.
 
"Your mom would most definitely want to see you and I want to see them too." She groaned a yawn and he let her rest. 
 
It was a long day and as opposed to his only job of sending the invitations, she had to prepare everything else. He shouldn't mess that up. So, he picked up his phone and quietly composed a short message, sending it to someone he needed to see. 
 
 
 
"Eun Hye-ssi."
 
The freshly brewed tea flowed smoothly along the walls of the porcelain teacup as the young actress poured the drink for her guest. It was deep into the night, but he got permission to visit her. There's ton of things he needed to say and the only problem was he didn't know where to start. 
 
"What seems to be very important that there's no other time for you to come over, oppa?" 
 
He never thought that he'd be this speechless when he had his speech all planned out ever since he decided to set things straight. Marrying Ji Hyo is probably the best thing he's ever going to do and he wants to do it right. That includes having this conversation. "This is a couple of years too late, but I owe you an explanation." He watched as she sat across him, carefully putting down her cup over her coaster. He had his mind set on going straight to the point and he's glad that Eun Hye seemed to appreciate it. "The times we were together, those were real. I honestly cared for you and you were an important part of my life, but I mistook that with the idea that I am doing all of it to forget about Ji Hyo." He assumed that her silence was a sign for him to go on. "That's why I got all confused and I thought I had to love you the same way and when I figured that I couldn't, I got scared and ran away." He remorsed at his pathetic thoughts and he sighed a little empathetically.  "I had hurt you and an apology is not even enough that I am not going to ask you to forgive me, still, I am deeply sorry, Eun Hye-ah because you do not deserve to be treated that way."
 
She replied with the same huff before finally sitting up to tell her thoughts. "I woke up this morning and I never even imagined that you'd be knocking on my door past midnight and now you're saying all this." A smug crept over her soft face. "Honestly, I still feel the same for you, oppa, and I started to learn that this feeling, you can't just force yourself to forget it." She clasped her hands together and carefully rested them over her lap. "So, I know that you didn't mean to hurt me back then and for even considering to see me, thank you." She signaled to his tea and he gladly picked up his drink. "So, how is unni?"
 
"She's doing great. A little blank most of the times, but that's just how she is." They both subtly chuckled and the atmosphere turned less tensed. "Also, we're getting married. If anyone should know first, I figured that you should be one of them." He raised his cup to an air toast, awkwardly hoping that she'd return the gesture.
 
"I'm happy for you, oppa." She lifted her own refreshment and he celebrated the rest of the night with the friend he had lost for a long time.
 
 
 
 
Ji Hyo passed in front of him for the twelfth time, but she never even glanced at his obvious arrival. Her apartment is a mess with trash literally lying everywhere on the floor, pot lids clanking alternatively with the cupboards. He stood in the living room just watching her future wife go crazier every time she enters the room. He's been ignored for a few minutes longer than half an hour.
 
When Ji Hyo walked in front of him once again, he cleared his throat vigorously. "Care to notice your visitor?"
 
She gave him an odd stare, her glare was boring holes through his shirt. "Seriously?"
 
"W-what?" His right foot unconsciously moved a step back and his nervous body followed. 
 
"Your family is arriving in an hour and do you know what I've finished preparing? Nothing! Do you know why?" Her question seemed rhetorical that he just shut his mouth to not fuel her furious thoughts. "No? Well, after coming home from a 17-hour filming, I had to make arrangements with that band that's playing in our wedding and their damned schedule that won't fit." She held the spatula up in the air as she panted her frustrations. 
 
He couldn't help, but smirk as he finally understood what was bothering her. She still had her eyebrows arched and nostrils flared when he confidently wrapped his toned arms around her physique.
 
"Uhh, what are you doing?" She rested her free palm over her chest, giving him a gentle push away. "Wasn't I clear that I have a bazillion things to finish?"
 
"You know?" He continued, ignorant to what she just uttered. "I haven't seen you in so long and I just miss those sweet, soft lips." His cliché line was just an opening, but the shift in Ji Hyo's pulse made him eager to more. "That apron really matches you and I can't wait to see more of that everyday. Maybe, sometimes you could even-." He tugged the fabric tighter around her waist as he moved his lips to her ears enough that she could feel his breath. "Wear just that." He was back to facing her when Ji Hyo swallowed nervously, her cheeks blushing a crimson glow. 
 
"I-I have to get back to the kitchen." She pursed her lips and she was suddenly looking around the room except at him. 
 
He could feel her try really hard to get out of his embrace, but he was pretty persistent too. "Ji Hyo, look at me." She stared at the ceiling, sighing deep breaths as much as she could. "Hello? Mong Ji? Look at me, please?" Her eyes slowly leveled along with his and now Jong Kook's pulse was jumping. "You have the most wonderful eyes."
 
It felt like it took a while before Ji Hyo broke their staring contest. "My soup is drying up."
 
It was very clear to him that Ji Hyo is someone he'd love for an eternity, but not until now did he realize that he could love her more than he ever did. Looking into her eyes, he just knew that this woman will forever be precious to his heart. "Babe, I know you're busy right now, but I've been meaning to give this to you." He whipped out his hand that's been clenching a diamond ring ever since he pulled her in. 
 
"A ring?" She smiled deviously at him and he was right, he could adore her more every second. 
 
"I love you so much and you deserve a grand proposal in London, but you just love that place so much I couldn't compete. I was afraid I'd get rejected."
 
She dangled her arms around her neck grabbing him in for a quick peck. "Rejected? I already proposed to you, oppa."
 
"Really? See, I forgot that." He kissed her back quickly and gently parted away from their tangled bodies. He dropped down on one knee, his eyes never leaving hers. "Song Ji Hyo, will you marry me?"
 
She crouched down until they were face to face and gave him a smirk. "Yes, you idiot."
 
He wore the jewelry on her finger, capturing her into a deeper kiss. This isn't the first time, but her lips were still surprisingly soft. He didn't realize that he was kissing her eagerly. And feeling Ji Hyo's lips move similarly with his made him know that she wants him as much as he did. His pulse quickened its beat and his hands were slowly traveling from her hair to her waist when the untimely doorbell rang. Ji Hyo quickly pulled back with a small gasp and he found his head following as a response, stopping only when the thought finally got to him. He whined exaggeratedly as a representation of his frustrations. "Whoever that is, I'm going to make them pay."
 
The actress rolled her eyes and immediately dashed to the door. After a few fumbling with the lock, a sophisticated woman emerged in the doorway. "Hello, dear." She leaned in to give Ji Hyo a hug.
 
"Mrs. Kim." Ji Hyo replied with an obvious shock and he begrudgingly joined her by the door. "You're early. I-I wasn't done preparing. I got stuck, uhh, in between stuff."
 
His mom tapped her cheeks with a smile. "That's fine. I came early to help. We would've been earlier if this guy's brothers weren't such geeks at their jobs." Two suited men appeared as soon as she finished her statement. They exchanged hugs with Ji Hyo and immediately turned to him afterwards. 
 
"I'm so glad you're here." He whispered sarcastically as he and Ji Hyo led them to the living room. A pinch tickled his hip and he faced the actress who was responsible for it. "What?"
 
"What am I going to do?" She murmured in her lowest tone. 
 
"Don't worry, they came early, they shouldn't mind waiting." 
 
The aforementioned pinch was then replaced by a light slap and a pair of fiery eyes. "That's not very helpful-."
 
"Dear, should I join you in the kitchen?" Ji Hyo's fury quickly subsided and he couldn't help, but smirk at her now embarrassed face. "Oh no, you don't have to worry, I wanted to go earlier so I could help you. Is that okay?"
 
 
 
 
"So tell me, dear, where'd you learn to cook this?" The older woman slurped the creamy white sauce and turned to her, a glint coming from her eyes. 
 
"I had a lot of time in London." She chirped joyfully to answer her question. 
 
The missus of the Kim household wrapped her still smooth palms around hers and whispered gently to her. "I am very sure that you're going to make my son happy." She squeezed her hold a little and the calming smile crept into her lips. "I knew from the very start that you would."
 
Ji Hyo's heart was filled with warmth and she found her self leaning into the other woman's hug. It was one thing to learn how to trust again and having someone who would hand it back is a whole new different feeling. "Thank you, Mrs. Kim."
 
She gave her a few taps as a reply and another gentle message. "Ohh, I've told you before. It's mom."
 
 
 
 
The dinner was nothing like Ji Hyo had imagined. She expected awkward compliments and unsure conversations, but what she got was a fun and all the time meaningful talk with Jong Kook's family. The teases between her fiancé and his brothers were so much alike with the inside jokes of their running man family that she had no trouble in keeping up with them. Every advice were genuine and heartfelt that it seemed like they were her family too. What she couldn't understand was why Jong Kook loathes them so much when it was very clear that he felt the opposite. 
 
 
 
"How long was I asleep?" The voice she well knew reverberated across the balcony. 
 
The actress turned to her fiancé and gave him a sly smile. "Quite a while." She murmured before going back to the evening view. A pair of muscular arms wrapped around her body and a lock of soft, curly hair tickled her cheek.
 
"I'm sorry if the preparations are giving you a hard time." The calming apology warmed Ji Hyo's heart more so than it already was. 
 
"Thank you for staying out of the way."
 
Their chuckles filled the dewy air and she was suddenly being pulled closer against his chest. "I want this wedding to be perfect. This might be my only chance."
 
"Might?"
 
"Yeah, because I might marry you again."
 
She shifted a little to get a glance if he was kidding, but he remained fixated on his position not even dropping a look. "Are you crazy, oppa?" She asked with utmost concern. 
 
"I think getting married in a different country is pretty neat. We should try it."
 
"I can't even handle one wedding, you're already planning to arrange more."
 
"It will be perfect."
 
 
Just like that, all of her worries melted away. She never told him, but ever since they got engaged, doubts and fears kept on troubling her sleep. An odd feeling just wouldn't leave her chest, as if something was wrong, that she is missing something very important. Her clenched fists tightened as she tried to calm herself from her own delusions because maybe he is right, maybe this wedding will be perfect.