Chapter 1 - Before stardom

Halfway Through

 

Kim Jong Kook was taking the time of his life. It was the perfect weather to be listening to the song he used his sleepless nights for. The tune echoed in his ears and his head nodded along as he was more than satisfied with what he was hearing. The rhythm was flawless as though the notes were perfectly stitched with each other. It was his best. The cold wind in the balcony brushed his brown and curly locks. He raised the bottle of soju to his lips. His face crumpled at the unpleasant taste, but it warmed his body enough to take more in. He had never felt so alive. 

The music was playing halfway through the bridge when he heard clicking noises from the door. And it didn't take too long for him to feel a hand swiping away his headphones.

"Jong Kook, what is your problem?"

 

His eyebrows arched. He looked at the older woman, though his head did not move an inch. Only she wasn't a bit intimidated as he meant for her to be, and she kept on rambling her thoughts to him.

"What's so difficult about finishing your residency? You've given us enough trouble, can't you give us a break?"

He expected his mom to find out about him skipping his shifts at the hospital though not once did that scare him to stop. He scoffed. "Psh, break!" This was a tiring conversation for him. He didn't want to get into it anymore so he decided to just leave the place, but even that wasn't easy. He reached out for his headphones, but the older one seemed to have predicted this and kept the gadget closer to herself. His irritation only rose. He hated being treated like a child and his mom knows how to do that very well. "Umma!" He was getting impatient.

"Kim Jong Kook! You're giving your father a bad face. Even if he is highly respected, he can't always make up for your mistakes. You know how he had worked hard and you always-"

If he was going to be honest with himself, he stopped caring long ago, stopped hoping that he could make her or anyone in his family to understand, but if he was going to be even more honest, he hoped that someone would. "Stop! I don't want to explain this again. I never wanted this. You know that. If you could just listen to my music, you wouldn't push me so hard to be a doctor again."

"Music?" She spoke as if the word was absurd and dirty by itself.  "Is this what you have been doing? And what are you going to be? Some musician and then what? You'll end up in the streets? You're almost done, you just have this year to finish then you could-"

"Have you forgotten? I never did anything. You said it yourself, that he always makes up for me, how many more patients will I put to danger? Why do you push me to be something I don't want to be?"

"You just never tried, the doctors know you are capable of being like your father, but you just won't do anything."

Jong Kook sighed. He's tired of listening to the same conversation over and over again. He forcefully took the headphones away from his mom and headed for the door. Before leaving, he finally said.

"I don't want to be like him."

 

Everyone in Jong Kook's family were doctors, if not engineers. A typical really rich group of people that he never wanted to be involved in. For one, his parents had very high expectations ever since he was a child and though he refused to be one of them, that never seemed to stop them from sending him to every medical school when he purposely kicked himself out. As rebellious as he was, the reality was something he never had courage to face, he was always scared of running away. And he was 1 year away from finishing his residency, with the help, or maybe entirely through, the name of his dad, when he went to his room and started to pack his clothes.

 

 

In a different part of Seoul, a girl named Cheon Seong Im was eating her ramen while memorizing a thick ream of paper, a sloppy script printed on each page for a television drama that she barely understood even after going through it dozens of times. That was not in her interest though, but she had her focus set on the character that appears in five scenes until someone came pounding her apartment's door. She quickly stood up and peeked in the peephole and saw the face of horror. She quickly ran to the sink, wet her face and messed her hair.

"Seong Im-ah open this door!"

 

She came back from the sink, opened the door and immediately kneeled in front of the landlady and hugged her leg.

"Eomeonim, give me one more week. I have auditions tomorrow and for sure I'll be accepted. I can ask them to give my pay in advance and I can pay all the months I owe you. I can even pay 3-months in advance! Ahh, ani, 5-5 months or 1 year...Pleasee eomeoniiim!!" She hugged the leg of the landlady tighter and sobbed while pleading.

"Ani, ani, I heard that excuse a lot of times already. Get out, get out!"

"But it's for real, I have the script, the script, here, here, look.." She stood up and was about to get the script when the landlady stopped her.

"Aish! Cheon Seong Im stop it! Leave this room tonight. Tomorrow, I will send men to throw everything that shouldn't be in this room, including you if you won't leave."

 

The landlady left, leaving her with no choice. She sighed and closed the door. She leaned her back against the door and slowly slid down until she's sitting, with her arms on top of her folded knees and her head above it. She stayed like that for a few minutes and when she stood up, she looked at every corner of the room.

The room is small, it could only fit one single-sized bed on the left corner, a small sofa, a table and a tv on the right, which are all part of the room she's renting, well, she hadn't paid for 6 months so basically she doesn't own them. What she owns is the small luggage under the bed with clothes for her auditions and the ramen and script on top of the table which she bought using the money she got from modelling. She went to almost every audition for acting and modelling but none of it gave her a big break to become a famous actress. All it gave her was enough money for food and rent, but recently she could only pay for food.

She sat on the sofa and ate the ramen she left when the landlady came. She sighed and thought of her dream of being an actress. She smiled for a while, but it slowly faded when she realized that it's almost impossible. When she finished the ramen, she stood up and went to pack her things. There wasn't much to fix for everything she owns is already inside the luggage except for the script she's been reading. Those men won't have a hard time throwing away anything.

 

She headed out the room and felt the cold wind. It's raining heavily so she took out her umbrella and walked along the street. 

 

She thought that this is her last shot. If she fails that audition tomorrow she'll stop and just find another job for her, maybe in a restaurant, or a food chain, or as a librarian. She looked up a little so she could clearly see the raindrops falling. But first, I need a place to sleep.

 

 

Kim Jong Kook had been driving for hours. His eyes are slowly closing because he's sleepy and the rain is making it hard for him to see. He reached for the canned coffee in his bag. When he turned his eyes back on the road, he was shocked to see the stoplight blinking red. He immediately stepped on the brake. He slightly bumped his head on the steering wheel when he heard a light sound of something hitting his car.

He looked back and saw no cars nor people. He looked in front and saw the same thing. He thought that the sound wasn't loud enough if ever he hit a person or an animal. And if he really hit something as small as an animal he should've heard it once he stepped on the brake. But he heard the sound only when the car stopped and was moving lightly. The force isn't enough for me to kill or hurt something. 

His curiosity led him to open the door to see what happened. He was quite scared. What if I bumped into a ghost? That happens in movies, right? You bump into them and then they disappear, but suddenly they'll appear in your car and haunt you and- aishh such nonsense, what am I thinking?

 

When he stepped out of the car, he tiptoed his way to the front while his eyes were fixated on the ground. With just a few steps, his small eyes were forced to open. He thought he was having illusions so he rubbed his eyes and slapped himself. But his eyes weren't deceiving him.

 

There is a girl lying on the ground, unconscious.