Chapter 11 - Going down

Halfway Through

 

Jong Kook woke up, his head feeling all dizzy. I must have slept for a really long time. He touched his forehead and felt a damp cloth on top of it. He also realized that he's lying on the sofa. He sat up and tried to recall what happened. He remembered feeling shivers last night that he can't move his body. Then he heard his doorbell ring, an awful lot of times, and if he could move, he might have given that person a nag. For a while it stopped but his phone rang next. He reached for it immediately; he needed help at that moment. He heard a familiar voice but his mind can't really process it. He heard her say something about his door. He crawled down his bed and weakly aimed for the door. He bumped into most of his furniture and finally opened the door's lock. After that...he can't remember.

He landed his feet on the carpet and looked for his slippers. Instead of finding it, he saw spots of blood. He touched it but it's already dried. He examined his body but he didn't feel any part of him hurting, except for his head of course. He finally stood up and walked to the kitchen and was surprised to see a woman sitting on one of his dining chairs and was chewing on a lettuce wrap. Her hair was tied up in a bun, her eyes looked tired and is stuffed with food. She immediately chewed and swallowed the food, wiped with the back of her hand and tried to avoid his gaze.

He noticed that her right foot is covered with bandage. When she noticed that he's looking at her foot, she slipped it under the table away from his view. He looked back to her face and met her eyes. As much as he wanted to see her, he knew that something's wrong.

"What are you doing here?"

 

Ji Hyo woke up a little too early. She's very hungry so she went to the fridge to eat something. When she opened it, she was disappointed to find uncooked meat, vegetables, bottled waters and milk. The only delightful thing that she saw, were cupcakes that were still beautifully arranged inside a box. She took them and ate almost all of it. While eating, she felt her body sore. 

A few hours ago, she was really panicking and was going back and forth Jong Kook's apartment. She slightly woke Jong Kook up to drink the medicine; afterwards, she took a huge bowl of water and a towel. She wiped the wet cloth on Jong Kook's face, and arms. She'll often change the water and do the same thing again. She stopped after an hour of giving him a towel bath to lower his temperature. She knelt beside him and felt his forehead. She was glad that he had gotten a lot better. 

"How could you do this? How could you be in that state when I'm still mad at you? Ya, Jong Kook-ah! How could you, commander?" She said as she caressed his forehead up to his hair. "You really know how to make me worry." She sighed and went to find something for her foot. It was really hurting a lot but she ignored it. She dressed her foot with bandages and unknowingly fell asleep. Her arms were joined together on top of the dining table to support her head.

 

She woke up only to find her 'patient' still sleeping soundly. She limped her way to him and touched his forehead. She smiled.

"I should really be a doctor." She praised herself and went to the kitchen to cook some porridge and lettuce wraps.

 

"What are you doing here?" She was stunned to hear his voice. She almost forgot their confrontation, the night before, and was just happily eating the food she cooked. She didn't know what to tell him so she just took another mouthful of food.

 

So she was the one who came last night. He shook his head and opened his fridge. His eyes widened at the sight he's seeing. His beautiful cupcakes were murdered and only 2 of them were left. He took the crumpled box and landed it on the table. Ji Hyo was very shocked that her shoulders jerked up and she looked quizzically at him.

"What?" She tried to not sound rude, she knew that he shouldn't be stressed so he could recover fast, that's why she's controlling her temper.

"You're responsible for this?" He asked grimly.

 

She raised her head and looked at the box pretending it's the first time she saw them. She just bit her lip and blankly stared at the remaining cupcakes.

"Ya!" He shouted.

"What?" Her voice matching the tone of his voice, she's just not good at remaining calm.

"What are you a beggar or something?" He sounded irritated.

 

Ji Hyo's mouth fell open at his question. She forcefully landed her chopsticks on top of the table and exhaled. "How can you call someone a beggar just for eating those cupcakes?"

Jong Kook smirked. "Just for these cupcakes? Eun-." He stopped and hesitated. "Someone gave me these cupcakes as a gift and you just ate them without even asking me, don't you even respect other people's property?"

Ji Hyo flared up. So he's getting mad because his precious girlfriend gave them those cupcakes. "Ya, you bastard! For your information I ate those cupcakes because I was very hungry. How can I wake you up when you look like you won't open your eyes in another four years? They don't even taste that great. I just ate a lot because I haven't eaten since forever. And if you love those cupcakes so much, why don't you eat one and show it to me?" He didn't even thank me. She rolled her eyes.

Jong Kook's eyes widened. "What?"

"Wae? Wae? I thought you like them. Come on eat one!" She crossed her arms and raised her eyebrows.

 

He took one of the cupcakes and nervously raised it to his mouth. He also doesn’t know why he’s so mad. When he saw her, he just went crazy. How could she take care of me after what I did to her? He glanced at her foot, and she even can’t take care of herself. He moved the sweet chunk of chocolate bread with a whip of frosting and a trickle of sprinkles on top, closer and closer to his mouth. Every 'sweet' detail gave him shivers. When the distance was close enough for him to smell the ‘horrifying’ food, he stopped and put it back down. "Ya! What are you making me do?" His face flushed in embarrassment.

"Making you eat your beloved cupcakes." She sneered.

"Ya-ishh." He gritted his teeth and acted as if he's going to hit her. 

"Those cupcakes taste really bad and you're acting as if they're worth millions." She murmured but he heard every word.

 

He went to the bathroom to wash his face. Aishh that girl. One day you hate me the next day you'll appear as if nothing happened. He threw the tissue he used and noticed the trash bin was full of broken glass.

 

Ji Hyo was washing the dishes when he went out of the bathroom. "I made porridge. I reheated them already since you might want to eat. I also prepared lettuce wraps. They're cooked 'healthily' so you need not to worry. Muscle man."

 

Jong Kook looked at her but she was focused on the dishes. He looked at her feet and noticed that the right one was indeed bandaged and he already guessed what might have happened. He sat down and started eating. He found the food just right and not so amusing. He snorted. She mocks the cupcakes when she can't cook herself.

"Is this even food?" He said while taking a spoonful of porridge.

Ji Hyo just finished with the dishes and faced him. "They're still better than those cupcakes." She exclaimed. "And I'm not used to cooking that kind of food. We rarely eat that in London."

 

He stopped for a while to look at her. It's the first time that she mentioned London in front of him. He shifted his gaze and noticed her hand was a bit red and swollen. You even burned yourself? She walked to the living room and he started eating again. 

 

"You should visit the doctor." She uttered from the other side of the house.

"Why?"

"He advised that you should visit him when you experience stuff like last night right?"

"Don't tell me what to do." Jong Kook hated the fact that she had to look after him. Haven't I hurt you enough, Ji Hyo?

Ji Hyo breathed out to calm herself. I swear, if you weren't sick, I would've killed you by now.

 

When Jong Kook finished eating, he walked to the living room and saw her opening the door.

"Where are you going?"

"Uhh-work?" She said impatiently. 

 

Jong Kook looked away. He sat on the sofa and turned the t.v. on. Ji Hyo rolled her eyes.

"Jerk." She closed the door, rather strongly, making him jump a bit from his seat.

He turned the t.v. off as soon as she left the room. He then rubbed his face with both of his hands and breathed heavily.

 

Ji Hyo was waiting for the elevator when her phone rang.

"Ji Hyo-ssi." Kang Hyeon spoke. 

"Ne?" She told them a while ago to pick her up from the same building where they dropped her off last night.

"Is it true that Jong Kook-ssi lives in that building?"

"Ne~!" She was startled.

 

"We are here inside the lobby and the press is fussing over for Jong Kook. It looks like they're here to ask him about being admitted in the hospital. I guess it's a bad idea if you go out the front door and the elevator. It's a ruckus down here. Can you find any backdoors or something?”

"Uhh-sure." She ended the call. She never heard of other exits when she stayed there before. They didn't need them since they weren't famous back then. She had no choice but to walk, or rather limp, her way back to the tiger's lair.

 

She rang the doorbell and after a few seconds, it opened. Jong Kook held the door with his hand and leaned the other against the wall. She could see his muscles tracing through his white shirt. 

"Yes?" He said.

She sniffed nervously through her nose and tried to look at his eyes. "T-There are quite a number of reporters in front. Do you know any other exits?"

Jong Kook didn't react and stared at her for a while. "Ride the elevator down to the 20th floor. The elevator doesn't stop 19th-2nd level and goes straight to the lobby. From there, you can use the stairs of the emergency exit. Walk inside the building again and you’ll see the backdoor." He stiffly said.

"Thanks." She uttered and started moving. That’s a lot of ‘walking’.

 

Jong Kook just noticed that she's wearing his house slippers, which were too big for her. He silently laughed while looking at her. He thought that she had totally changed and became a high maintenance woman. He closed the door while smiling. 

Ji Hyo finally descended 2 floors from the floor of Jong Kook's room. She cursed her foot. Her eyes were forming tears. Why is this so hard? Aishh!! Suddenly, she heard the emergency exit's door open. Oh no! It would be trouble if someone sees me. She panicked when she heard footsteps neared her. She covered her face with her hair and looked down.

 

When the footsteps stopped, she peeked. She saw Jong Kook looking at her. She stood properly and fixed her hair. Jong Kook covered his mouth to not show that he's laughing but it didn't really help.  

"Ya! Stop laughing will you?"

"I'm sorry." He grinned. "What were you doing?"

She nervously talked, embarrassed at how weird she might have looked like. "I-I thought someone might see me."

"And you'll hide using your hair?" He laughed once again.

"I was shocked okay?" She frowned. "Why are you here?"

"Why not?"

"Tch, I hate you!" She whined.

Jong Kook continued going down. He stopped and watched Ji Hyo struggle. He cleared his throat. "What happened to your foot?" He asked in a teasing voice.

"It's none of your business." She infuriatingly said.

 

Jong Kook climbed back, dropped his bag, pushed her down, to make her sit, then he took her injured foot.

"Hey, what the hell? You -?" 

Before she could finish her sentence, Jong Kook gently put down her foot, took off his jacket and covered her legs. He lifted her foot again.

"It's still bleeding, what happened?" He looked at her.

"I-I stepped on a broken glass, last night. It stopped bleeding when I treated it. I-."

"I guess the wound hasn't finished clotting yet and was put under too much pressure that's why it opened and bled again." He took the gauze from his bag. "This might hurt a little." He looked at her and nodded as if saying 'it's going to be okay'. Ji Hyo nodded back so he started covering the cut with the gauze pad and Ji Hyo held back her tears. He continued applying pressure on the wound to stop it from bleeding and waited for a few minutes. 

 

She looked at him. She was sure that she missed him. He had always been there for her. He supported her. Those eyes, she knew that they had always been so sincere in worrying for her. She didn't notice that she was crying, and it wasn't because her wound hurts, it's because her heart is in pain. She knows that everything had changed. They are not the same people anymore.

Jong Kook checked on her. He was startled to see her crying. The fierce, strong girl that always opposes him is still very fragile and delicate. He wiped his hands and moved towards her. He cupped her face and rubbed his thumbs across her cheeks to wipe her tears. 

"Hey, hey, it's okay." His voice felt like a caressing wind in her heart. She didn't stop crying but she felt safe. 

 

For a while, they just sat there. Jong Kook wrapped her foot in a bandage and she looked away from him. You can't be like this Ji Hyo, Ji Hyo thought. The eerie silence was then interrupted by Ji Hyo's phone.

"Ji Hyo-ssi, are you okay?"

"Ne. I'm fine."

"Where are you? The media is still here, have you found a way to get out of the building?"

"Ne, I'll be right there." Ji Hyo ended the call after telling them where to pick her up. 

 

"Was that your manager?" Jong Kook suddenly asked. 

Ji Hyo was shocked with his voice. "Ahh, yes."

"Why didn't you ask her to come and get you?"

"Uhm, I don't trust them. It's just that-…it's a long story. It's a 'he' by the way."

"You have a new one?"

"Uh-huh. My old manager quitted. They always do." She smiled uneasily.

  

Jong Kook stopped talking. He felt that he shouldn't ask her about it anymore. 

"Uhm, thanks, but you really didn't have to do this. I have to go." She stood up and Jong Kook followed. 

"You can't strain your foot." He said trying to stop her 

"Well, I have no choice." She raised her eyebrows. 

"Actually, you do." Jong Kook turned his back to her. 

"What do you mean?" She asked, confused.

He patted his back. "Ride my back."

"What? No!" She exclaimed. 

"I'm not asking you, I'm telling you. Hurry."

"No, I'm not going to do that. Besides you can't stress yourself you're still not well." She nagged. 

"I'm fine. What time do you think you'll arrive downstairs if you walk?"

"It doesn't matter." She shrugged. 

He looked at her with wide eyes. "Really?" 

 

 

"Ya! Put me down. Kim Jong Kook I'm telling you put me down, now!!"

"Are you sure you want me to do that, Miss Song?"

Ji Hyo stopped for a while. "Just stop this." Ji Hyo said weakly. She can only wiggle her legs. She can't pull his hair nor hit him since she might hurt his head. "I'm really going to kill you." She ‘whispered’ loudly to his hears. Jong kook forcefully carried her on his back a while ago and is now piggybacking her down the stairs. 

 

"Song Ji Hyo!!"

"Come on, just let me down!" Ji Hyo kept whining and wigglling her legs. She was covering Jong Kook's eyes since that's the only way she could express her frustrations.

Jong Kook stopped walking. "Ya! We'll both fall down. I can't see a thing." Ji Hyo didn't move her hands away. Jong Kook loosened his arms to . Ji Hyo slightly fell from his back but he caught her back up.

Her hands were forcefully removed from his eyes for she needed them to support herself. "Omo! Kim Jong Kook!! Ya!" She gripped her arms together and held on tightly to his neck.

Jong Kook slightly chuckled despite choking from her arms. "Wae? Wae?"

"Aishh." She tried to take revenge by covering his mouth instead.

Jong Kook was startled to feel her soft hands against his lips. "Is this supposed to be a threat?" He said under her hands.

 

Ji Hyo silently laughed behind his back. Jong Kook grinned.

"Ouchh! Yaaa!" Ji Hyo's whines echoed inside the place.

"Wae? You started it?"

"But you didn't have to bite me." She said half-crying.

Jong Kook laughed. "Why are you so stubborn? I'm just trying to help."

Ji Hyo stopped moving and rested her body and on his back, her chin leaning on his shoulder. She realized that she had no choice. He's still a man, a really strong one. "You don't have to help me."  She murmured.

 

They were quiet for a while. They already climbed down 10 floors. Jong Kook's heart jumped abnormally, partly because of the weight he's carrying but mostly because of their very close distance. He didn't know what came to him that he did what he just did, but it felt so nice having her near him. He could feel and hear her breathe and tremble behind him, and it was like a pleasant rhythm. Her hair that's dangling near his face smelled so fragrant and drove him half-crazy.

"Why did you leave your bag upstairs?" Ji Hyo gave up resisting already. Her words were sent directly to his ears, making him feel electricity flowing throughout his body. 

"I…actually don't need it." He tried to speak normally. 

"Then why did you bring it in the first place?"

"I just realized that I didn't need it a while ago." Jong Kook lied despite it being too obvious. He already knew that she’s wounded for he saw stains of blood on her right slipper a while ago. That’s why he placed stuff for her wound inside his bag. When he carried her, he left the bag and Ji Hyo had been asking him about it for a while now. "Why did you wear my slippers without asking me? You got blood all over it." It was his turn to ask.

"Hmm, I have no choice."

"You always say that you have no choice when you actually do."

 

They became silent again, as if what he said was meant for something else.  

“So are you…uhh…okay…back there?”

Ji Hyo shifted a little. She lifted her head. She realized that she was leaning too comfortably on him. "You…you should go visit your doctor after this." She tried to change the topic.

"How did you know about my condition?"

"I think I'm not supposed to say it." 

"It's my mom right?"

Ji Hyo’s eyes widened. "How did you know?"

"I knew she'll do this, she'll send someone to look after me. I just didn't know she’ll ask you."

"I couldn't say no to her. She's really nice. And she said it will only be until you get better."

 

Jong Kook turned his head lightly. As if he thought of an idea.

"Go to the doctor, okay?" Ji Hyo told him again.

"Okay. I will."

"Promise?" She pouted. 

Jong Kook laughed, imagining her aegyo. "Promise."

"This is the longest time that you haven't shouted at me." Jong Kook . 

"Ya!"

"Oops. Time over."

 

Ji Hyo hit him lightly and they both laughed. Ji Hyo was sincerely happy. If only we could always be like this everyday. But it can't. She suddenly stopped laughing. "We're here." She said seriously. 

Jong Kook also woke up from his senses. He put her down. They were already on the 1st floor. 

"I'll go ahead. Someone might see us together. My manager's outside."

"O-okay."  He said while avoiding his gaze.

"T-thank you." Ji Hyo said awkwardly and patted his arm. She opened the door and walked away. 

 

 

Jong Kook waited inside the room. It was unusually cozy and relaxing. He’s supposed to hate the place for 2 reasons. First, he is a health freak, it sounds ironic for a ‘healthy’ person to love the hospital. Next and probably the real reason why he hates it, is because it reminds him everything about his father. And he doesn’t want to go to the details of it because right now, none of those matters, in fact he was excited to meet the doctor.

He fiddled with the pens on the table while grinning widely. He stopped doing what he’s doing when the door opened, except for his smile which he can’t get off his face. He wondered how stupid he looks like but the doctor’s smile back to him made him at least feel assured that it is just a good day and it’s just normal to be happy.

“You look different Mr. Kim, any good news?” The doctor sat before him and put his hands together while looking at his happy face.

“Ahh, nothing in particular.” He smiled again.

“Well you look much better. The last time I saw you, you didn’t smile like this.”

“Maybe it’s because of the medicines.”

The other man just nodded in agreement. “So, what can I help you with today?”

“Uhh…you said that I’ll be experiencing abnormalities right? It happened to me last night is that fine?” The conversation looked normal except for the fact that he looked happy being sick.

“Yeah, as I said, your brain will cause those things because of the shock. It’s somehow normal but I could perform tests.” 

 

 

Jong Kook gladly agreed and after a while, they are back inside the room. 

“I guess it’s true. You’re fine Jong Kook-ah. I guess what happened last night was really due to stress and the shock to your brain.”

Jong Kook grimaced after hearing the good news. “But, I’ll still be having aftershocks right?”

The doctor slightly looked confused but he nodded. “Possibly, that’s why you might want to consider resting and reducing your stress. Filming is fine but don’t overdo yourself.”

“That’s it?” He stopped and realized he was acting weird. “I mean, what if, just what if, I’m not yet fine. Could you tell me all the possible things that could happen to me? The worst cases, doc.”

 

The man tucked his hands inside his white cloak and wondered why he’s acting that way. He took his pen and started writing, assuming that the person in front of him just loves his body so much so he’s taking precautions. On the other hand, Jong Kook looked excitedly at the paper and was weirdly grinning at it. It’s as if a crazy idea had been running in his head for a while now. If other people will find him insane, he doesn’t care. Maybe the accident really did damage his head.

 


 

A/N: Update!!!! Sorry it took so long! I hope you liked this chapter. I tried my best to make it light considering the occasion. Happy Valentine's Day everyone!!