Parenting 101

Just a Child

------------------------------ Parenting 101
Donghyun as a Single Father
Minwoo as a Babysitter

Universe 4
warning(s): vulgar language, inaccurate childcare knowledge.


“, , , , !” A man in his thirties cursed, chasing a smaller figure that was running around. “Jeongmin, stop running around!”

“Why?!” The said Jeongmin asked with instant teary eyes. “, , , , ~!”

“Don't say that!” The father figure yelled, finally grabbing hold of the boy. He ignored the violent resistance, placing Jeongmin in his baby seat and then strapping a Velcro belt around him. “Stay!”

“But daddy say!” Jeongmin giggled, pointing at the said person. Deciding to stay put in his seat in favour of meal time, he reached for his spoon and hastily grabbed it, causing the gravy to splatter.

“!” The father cursed, hurrying to grab a few paper towels to wipe away the mess. He watched the toddler and was about to say something when Jeongmin had this wide Cheshire-like grin as if proving his point. “Okay, my bad. Don't copy me!”

Meet Kim Donghyun. Your typical man in his thirties, with a tendency to curse at everything and anything. He's not good at cooking, not good at cleaning, average in his work but brings back enough money to feed them two.

Right, he's the father of this obnoxious 5-year-old, Kim Jeongmin, who was currently playing with his food because he can. The young boy was a ball of sunshine, and Donghyun guessed that was the only upside of his situation (or not, depends on how you see it). Jeongmin was the product of his craziness during his twenties. He'd hook up with girls and spend a night with them only to find himself robbed of a few hundred dollars. Jeongmin came when he hooked up with the wrong girl, someone not in the business, and she demanded he either marry her or he take the child.

Why, obviously Donghyun took up the less troublesome offer. Or so he thought.

When he wakes up in the middle of the night to a crying infant. He thought about the number she left him and thought maybe a trip down the aisle could be worth it.

When he comes back and find his papers all chewed on. He called her and asked her how she was doing. Apparently, she wasn't doing much better.

When he bought the baby some toys and came back to step on a block of innocent Lego. He cursed out loud and swore he remembered placing that woman's number somewhere, only to belatedly realise it was chewed into a lump a while after Jeongmin's first chewing fest.

Donghyun thought his toughest days were over once he sent the kid into pre-school. Until Jeongmin comes home wailing that people made fun of him for not having a mother. Jeongmin refused to go to school anymore as if having some trauma, and the kid grew on Donghyun so much within the five years that it seems a bit of a pity to simply send him to his grandmother for childcare. (His mother insisted that he take care of Jeongmin till he was at least five or the kid will grow up rebellious or something earlier when he tried to send the baby of a few months old over. Old people's logic.)

Struggling between a promotion and a child, Donghyun was now tired like hell.

“Jeongmin, don't play with your food!” Donghyun sighed, scooping up rice with instant gravy in Jeongmin's spoon that was decorated in yellow with Pikachu. Some cartoon rat. “Put this in your mouth. We're going to your grandmother's house after.”

“No! I no want!” Jeongmin shook his head, refusing his food. Afterall, the logic was that if he ate, he would have to visit his grandma. If he didn't, he probably doesn't have to!

Man, he's such a genius!

Trips to grandma's house were fine if not for the old lady treating him like some doll, holding him tightly and then making him fly in the air while making airplane noises.

Humans can't fly. That's what dad said.

Dad said a whole lot of other things too, like instant ramyun for life, a bastard of a boss, and alcohol tastes like water.

“Eat!” Donghyun cried exasperatedly, stuffing food into his face. This was the fifth consecutive week he ate rice with instant gravy. He really needs something more nutritious, or Jeongmin wouldn't grow tall. That kid was already shorter than average. “Or no TV.”

“I know how to on TV!” Jeongmin grinned, singing happily when Donghyun realised his threats doesn't work anymore.

“I'll take away the control!” Donghyun tried, giving his face as fierce an expression as he could as if to give power to his words.

“Oh.” Jeongmin pouted, and Donghyun swore the kid learned how to cry. Like, how to fake a cry. The eyes slowly welled up with tears, and Donghyun shoved a spoon of food into his mouth before he could cry. “Oof.”

“Eat, 'cause I need to ask granny about what to do with you.”

-

“I would love to take him from you-”

“Nooooo!” Jeongmin wailed, grabbing Donghyun's leg desperately as if clinging for his life.

“-but he's too afraid of that idea.” Donghyun's mother sighed, cooing for the toddler to stop crying. “You'll stay with daddy, okay?”

“I have no idea what I did to make him so attached.” Donghyun stared at Jeongmin, and eventually smiled when the child looked up at him with hopeful eyes. “All right, you're staying with me.”

Donghyun's mother shrugged with a small (knowing) smile, and decided that spoiling their kids was inscribed in their genes.

“Or you could hire a babysitter housekeeper. The last time I went to your house, it was a nightmare.” His mother recounted, the exaggerated look of horror only amusing to Donghyun. “You want me to ask around for one?”

“No girl! No girl!” Jeongmin whined, and Donghyun wondered if he even understood what a babysitter meant. “Girls are scary.”

“Well, you heard him.” Donghyun nodded, then carrying Jeongmin up in his arms while making the child blow his nose. Jeongmin then climbed up Donghyun's shoulder and grabbed his father's hair for balance, an arm stretched forward. “I'm not your horse, Jeongmin.”

“Go!” Jeongmin cheered, and Donghyun's feet moved as if on auto-pilot.

-

“I don't need any newspapers.” Donghyun growled, running a hand through his bed hair while holding the door with another. He glanced at the man in front of his door who didn't budge. “I said, no newspaper subscription.”

The man smiled simply, then entering through the small gap and placing the newspapers he was holding on the nearest table. Surveying the room slowly, he finally turned to the annoyed owner when he was done.

“What was the number of the police...”

“119, but you kind of really don't want to report me.” The man offered, still smiling. There was something smug about that smile, and Donghyun thought a punch might wipe it off. “Good morning, I'm Minwoo, your child's new babysitter. I was briefed to do a bit of housekeeping and that I should be here before 7am to have your breakfast made. The newspapers were given for free at your local subway station so I just took them.”

Donghyun winced at the cheery tone, deciding that his mother (yet again) forgot to inform him of her decisions.

“I'd make you soup, if you don't mind. Those are good for hangovers. Does your child have any preference?” Minwoo said with the same light tone, navigating himself into the kitchen and he looked, already, like a perfect fit. “Oh, no aprons?”

“I'm a single father. I don't have aprons.” Donghyun replied dryly, wondering how the other knew that he drank the night before. He was still a bit sleepy, but it wasn’t like he could leave a stranger to do things in his house. “How old are you?”

“Twenty eight. And single fathers don't necessarily not have aprons. Your logic is kind of off.” Minwoo shrugged, and then started rummaging through the kitchen to familiarise himself with his new environment. He paused, realising the other hasn't replied to his question. “Does your child have any preferences?”

“Jeongmin's not picky. Not when his father can't afford him to be picky.” Donghyun shrugged, stifling a yawn. “You're pretty old. Shouldn't you be getting a more stable job?”

“Babysitting pays well if you get called for the right jobs. Besides, you're not my only client. And kids are cute.” Minwoo smiled, then reaching for the cutting board and some vegetables. Donghyun vaguely remembered the cutting board being brought over by his mother when she came over. That was odd, he thought he accidentally threw it away and ended up settling for cutting vegetables over boiling pots. “Your fridge is pretty empty so I'll make a simple vegetable soup, cook some rice-”

“I don't have rice.”

“I brought them from home, most people I babysit for don't have rice. Anyway, I'll make a trip to the mart later so tell me your weekly budget. I'll need Jeongmin's schedule too-”

“He's not schooling.”

“Yes, but I need to know his routines like bath time, nap time, bed time, and the likes. Anything you know about him, I need to know it too.” Minwoo finished, and a plate of well sliced vegetables was placed neatly beside a boiling pot of water.

He was like some magician.

“I'm gonna buy an apron, by the way. I don't like working without one and bringing one from home is troublesome.” Minwoo smiled politely, then turning to Donghyun when he finished his preparations, leaving the soup to boil. “Now, tell me about you.”

“Me?” Donghyun frowned, and Minwoo offered him a cup of coffee (when did he make it?) while gesturing at the dining table outside. “What about me?”

“I would need to know about my employer's son, the owner of this house. She fondly calls you her baby so I have no idea what your name is. And you can tell me the time you leave and return home, and if you want to give me the spare key to your-”

“No. No spare keys, I don't like people having keys to my house. Jeongmin's tall enough to reach the door, get him to open up for you. Name's Donghyun, and I think I'm paying for your services so I'm the boss. She just did the finding. I leave house at eight in the morning and try to come home by seven. Dinners with colleagues happen and when they do, I might come home around eleven.” Donghyun scratched his head, mentally calculating the time to get ready with a stranger at home.

“How does Jeongmin feed himself on those days?” Minwoo frowned, and Donghyun tried not to feel too guilty about it. “You have been working for a while now, how about when he was a baby?”

“My mom used to come play with him once in a while, whatnots, but other times he just makes do with the stacks of snacks I leave at home.” Donghyun sighed.

“You should have called for a babysitter earlier.”

“Hey, I don't need a lecture from you.” Donghyun said sharply, watching Minwoo glare at him. He blinked, wondering if his tone was too harsh or something.

“One thing I cannot tolerate is negligence. You leave your child at home to eat snacks instead of proper meals and you dare speak so audaciously that you don't need my opinion?” The younger man rolled his eyes, and suddenly, Donghyun felt as if heaven sent him a wife. A naggy, PMS-ing wife. “All right, that aside, budget.”

“I don't know the cost of food, why don't you tell me what you need and I'll see if I can afford it?” Donghyun shrugged, the tension previously now swept under the rugs. He watched the younger's eyes glint with glee, raising his eyebrow at the reaction.

“Well, basic weekly budget should be fine with about eighty dollars, so a month should average about three hundred. That includes your food, toiletries and emergency use. I can place it in a small wallet and return it to this table every time I go home if you are that much of a skeptic.” Minwoo then rummaged the bag he came in with, holding up a simple wallet. “Here. If you even want me to do the accounting, I can.”

“Nah, three hundred doesn't sound like much. Of course, that means proper meals for Jeongmin.” Donghyun waved away the wallet, then flinching. “Jeongmin's awake.”

“All right, time for me to introduce myself.” Minwoo smiled, then walking ahead as if he knew the layout of the house. Donghyun decided he needed to get ready for work, and if Jeongmin didn't like Minwoo, then he would only stay for a day.

Now, let's hear the screams and cries.

“All right, is captain Jeongmin ready to save the world?” Minwoo cooed, carrying the sleepy child in his arms and then joining Donghyun in the toilet. “Step 1, empty your bladder!”

“What is a bladder?” Jeongmin asked tiredly, but the curiosity in him was ignited.

Kids.

Minwoo only smiled and pulled down his pants, and Jeongmin immediately understood. “Ohhhh!”

“Isn't he too old for diapers?” Minwoo commented quietly, and Donghyun shrugged, brushing his teeth while shaving the awkwardly grown facial hair. Minwoo was amazed the older man didn't cut himself, but it was probably an everyday feat to him.

“I'm done!” Jeongmin announced, and Minwoo helped the child change his soiled diapers into a new one.

(How did he even know where they were?)

“How do you feel, captain?” Minwoo saluted the child who smiled brightly, flushing the toilet for Jeongmin and telling him to observe. Jeongmin nodded, and Minwoo then carried him with an arm, holding out the soiled diapers in another hand before them both. “What should we do with this?

“Throw!” Jeongmin cheered, and Minwoo then headed to the chute bin. After throwing away the diapers, he then washed his hands and helped Jeongmin's wash his. “Clean!”

“Exactly.” Minwoo smiled, taking the time to check on the soup he was boiling. “Captain Jeongmin! Are you excited for breakfast?”

“Hmm...daddy food no nice.” Jeongmin thoughtfully replied, looking around the kitchen.

“But your assistant made it!” Minwoo chuckled, pointing at himself. The child then lit up, eagerly nodding. “Food! But before eating food, what should we do?”

“What?”

“Let's brush our teeth, okay?” Minwoo asked, and then marched towards the toilet without waiting for the reply. “Step 2, brush your teeth!”

Donghyun cursed when Minwoo entered the toilet again, this time to brush Jeongmin's teeth.

“Don't you have any decency to knock?” Donghyun hissed, hurrying to zip up his pants. He flushed the toilet and nudged the younger with his shoulder, creating space for him to wash his hands.

“Well, you didn't have the decency to close the door. I can't knock on an open door.” Minwoo shrugged, applying toothpaste on Jeongmin's toothbrush. “Does captain know how to brush his own teeth?”

“No!” Jeongmin shook his head animatedly, watching his father dry his hands by flicking them in the air. “Why didn't daddy do step 1 then step 2?”

Donghyun paused, trying to remember what step 1 was.

“Your dad is wrong. Let's do it the right way, okay?” Minwoo smiled, ruffling the child's hair and watching him innocently nod.

“What the hell is wrong with my morning routine?” Donghyun growled, and Minwoo ignored the older man.

Donghyun looked at Jeongmin who was obediently following Minwoo's instructions. Up, down, up, down. Move to the left and then the right, move to the left and then the right. He was half wishing Jeongmin to scream so he could have an excuse to find a less annoying babysitter, but the child was so amazed with the brushing teeth song that he didn't even remember to greet his father good morning.

Oh well, time to get changed.

-

Before he knew it, Minwoo was already working for him for two months. It was nice to have clean, ironed clothes to wear and warm, home cooked food for both breakfast and dinner. Donghyun would try to deny it, but Jeongmin always says that Minwoo makes the best food in the world.

(Just because he hasn’t tasted the world’s delicacies, Donghyun disgruntledly decided.)

Apparently, Minwoo was no longer needed to babysit his other client on weekends. Well, “babysit”, since Minwoo was apparently making sure the teenage girl was doing her homework while her parents both worked. The young girl seemed quite fond of Minwoo, and that triggered the alarm of the parents' to stop his services. Minwoo came every single day since then, and while Jeongmin was showing vast improvement in speech, writing, toilet habits and proper food etiquette, Donghyun still refused to give Minwoo spare keys.

“Why?” Jeongmin pouted when Minwoo brought it up and got rejected. “Because hyung has no keys, hyung cannot stay with me until I sleep.”

“There's me.” Donghyun looked pointedly at his child.

“Daddy has many dinners outside. I'm scared alone.” Jeongmin bit his lower lip to look more pitiful, while Minwoo laughed quietly at the child's negotiation techniques.

“You were fine before he came.” Donghyun frowned, and that seemed to offend Jeongmin more than it did to Minwoo. The child jumped off the sofa and ran into his room, slamming the door shut.

“Well, that was unexpected.” Minwoo shrugged, standing up from his seat on the sofa since he was only there to accompany Jeongmin. “I'd talk him out of it and head home. You said you needed a suit tomorrow, right? I hung it up in your room for you already.”

“Hey, we need to talk. You can soothe him later.” Donghyun said lowly, grabbing the younger by his wrist and making him take his previous seat. “Make him less reliant on you. You're spoiling him too much and I don't want to deal with the aftereffects when you're gone.”

“That's funny.” Minwoo smiled humourlessly, withdrawing his hand and watching a red streak appear. Donghyun could be kind towards Jeongmin, but that kindness doesn't extend, it seems. “I'm pretty sure he learnt his manners from me. I needed to set up a rewards and punishment system to get him to quit cursing, and if you think eating with fork and spoon is easy for a five-year-old, then go ahead and teach one yourself. You say to make him less reliant on me, but you sure haven't thought of what made him this way.”

“What the hell are you blabbering about?” Donghyun growled, swearing that his babysitter was getting on his nerves day by day. He did his job well, but that was all.

“He has no friends. I'm in no position to talk about your family affairs, but the consequence of keeping a child home-schooled is that he's dependent on people around him for affection. Other than his working father, I'm the only one he sees and that made him reliant on me.” Minwoo rolled his eyes, wondering how Donghyun hadn't seen it coming. “Of course, if his father came home early often enough and bothers to sing him a lullaby to sleep, he wouldn't be throwing a tantrum now.”

“. You think money drops down from the sky or something? I need to work to give you your pay as well as to raise him.” Donghyun glared at the other and Minwoo merely shrugged. “And you. You have been asking for extra allowance these days.”

Minwoo narrowed his eyes at his employer, undoubtedly offended. “You're implying that I stole your money?”

“I'm asking you where it went.” Donghyun calmly replied, watching the younger stare at him in disbelief.

“Well, genius, your son is being home-schooled. I'd need materials from the bookstore for him to practise writing and simple math. He has taken interest in art as well so that means picture books and colour pencils. Should I dig out receipts or is a trip to your son's room to check the said materials enough?” Minwoo snapped, taking in a deep breath and then standing up. He wasn't in the best of mood, but they had left Jeongmin alone long enough.

-

“I'm running some errands in the afternoon, just so you know.” Minwoo announced, washing up the dishes on a Saturday morning. “You can take care of Jeongmin alone, right?”

“I'm meeting a client.” Donghyun frowned. “Jeongmin will be fine on his own.”

“What time?” Minwoo asked, and Donghyun turned to the younger and stared. He never questioned the specifics much, and that made Donghyun think a bit longer. Both on Minwoo's unusual behaviour and the exact time. “Jeongmin seems a bit out-of-it, I was hoping the both of you could catch up on old times or something.”

“Four. I probably would have dinner outside.” Donghyun said, turning to the general direction of where he assumed Jeongmin to be. “I'd talk to him now. How long will you be out?”

“About 2 o'clock to 5 o'clock?” Minwoo cocked his head to a side, mentally calculating and then nodding in agreement to his own words. “Yeah, I'll put him to sleep before I leave and he should be up when I'm back.”

Donghyun then went to play house with his son, but Jeongmin seemed like he didn't appreciate it very much. He wore a dulled expression through the morning, and even didn't eat much at lunch.

“Are you sick?” Donghyun reached for Jeongmin's forehead, watching his son shake his head wearily. “There's no fever.”

“Are you tired?” Minwoo tried a smile, carrying the child up from his seat at the dining table. “We can have an early nap if you'd like?”

Jeongmin smiled weakly, the usual bubbly disposition now gone without a trace. He then nodded slightly, falling asleep limply and almost immediately in Minwoo's arms.

Minwoo then tucked him into bed, checking the temperature of Jeongmin with a thermometer to make sure. Nothing odd.

“How's he?” Donghyun asked from outside Jeongmin's room, watching his child sleep peacefully.

“His temperature is fine. He doesn't seem to be throwing tantrums either, so maybe he's just tired. Kids have bad days too.” Minwoo smiled slightly, and Donghyun noted that he wasn't too confident with his words.

“Right.” Donghyun bit his lower lip, shifting himself as Minwoo closed the door.

The two then returned to their lunch and ate in silence, and Minwoo seemed a bit more distracted than usual. He had forgotten to wash off the detergent from Jeongmin's plate, and managed to walk into the dining table.

Donghyun opened his mouth, but never got to ask why.

-

“Where are you?”

Minwoo fidgeted nervously, holding his phone tightly. If he knew how anxious it would made him feel, he would have bugged Donghyun to make him a spare key.

“A cafe beside Gangnam's subway station. Why?”

Estimating the time to get to Gangnam and back, Minwoo winced and hurriedly typed a reply.

“I rang the bell for half an hour and Jeongmin's not coming to the door. When did you leave?”

Minwoo tried ringing the bell again, knocking the door when it yielded the same results.

“Three o'clock. He's probably deep in sleep, try a bit longer. My client isn't too fond of disturbance, stop messaging me.”

Re-reading the message, Minwoo sighed and tried to map the layout of Donghyun's house. He tried visualising the many windows, clapping his hands when he found a route in. “This is my first time breaking in, but he'd have to forgive me for this.”

Minwoo then climbed into the back of the kitchen, slipping himself into the window by the sink. He managed to jump off without hurting himself, and he quickly made his way to Jeongmin's room.

It seemed like a miracle to Minwoo that the child slept through half an hour of his incessant bell ringing, and when he pressed his hand against Jeongmin's forehead, Minwoo felt his face paled.

“Jeongmin! Jeongmin, wake up!” Minwoo bit his lower lip, shaking the younger desperately but trying to resist being too violent. The toddler whined softly, and Minwoo hurriedly grabbed his blanket and wrapped him up, rushing to the door.

He knew he couldn't lock the door if he went out normally, but carrying Jeongmin out the window seemed dangerous too. Minwoo reached for his phone only to remember Donghyun's last message. Holding Jeongmin tightly, he headed to the kitchen and made sure he didn't drop the sick child.

With his quickest speed, Minwoo ran out of the apartment complex for a taxi to the hospital. All along the way, he held onto the small fingers and squeezed them as tightly as he could without hurting the child. Minwoo tried to make sure Jeongmin was still responding, and it felt like the intervals were only getting longer.

“Please, please hurry!”

-

“I sent Jeongmin to the hospital.”

Donghyun frowned at his text as he reread it for the thousandth time. He managed to end his work a little earlier, but it was still 8.30pm by the time he reached the hospital.

“How is he?” Donghyun asked, watching Jeongmin sleep peacefully like he did in the afternoon. He turned to Minwoo who avoided his glance, and Donghyun noticed the younger had red-rimmed eyes, like he had been crying. “What did the doctor say?”

“So it's work over child, huh?” Minwoo said shakily, standing up from his position. Now that the child's parent was here, he was no longer needed.

“I asked you, how is he?” Donghyun repeated, grabbing Minwoo's hand and flinching when he shook it off.

“Find out yourself!” Minwoo screamed, the tears he had been hiding then falling again. He wiped it away roughly, running out Jeongmin's ward.

“Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!” Jeongmin shrieked till his voice went hoarse, and Minwoo could barely keep Jeongmin from struggling. “Daddy!”

“Relax, Jeongmin.” Minwoo cooed, eyes tearing up as he watched the young child suffer a high fever and was now about to get his injection. “I'm here.”

“Daddy!” Jeongmin cried, body shaking uncontrollably. He screamed as the doctor injected him, his tear-stained face red from his desperate shouts. “Daddy!”

“Jeongmin...” Minwoo called, and he watched Jeongmin look back at him with distant eyes, like he couldn't recognise him. “Jeongmin...”

“Daddy...” Jeongmin whimpered weakly, fatigue from his outbursts then slowly engulfing him. “Daddy...”


Minwoo bit his arm as he tried to stop his cries, remembering how pitiful the young child was as he called out for a father who wasn't there for him. He had sent the message despite Donghyun's request not to, but the older stayed with his client till after dinner.

What a jerk.

To think Jeongmin was suffering from Donghyun's negligence.

To think Jeongmin was suffering...

From his own negligence.

-

Donghyun stumbled home, unlocking the door and wondering how long it had been since he came home to an empty house. No child, no babysitter, just him and him alone.

He held the bottle of alcohol and guided it to his mouth, emptying the bottle till its last drop.

He was such a failure of a father.

Minwoo even told him Jeongmin wasn't his usual self. He saw Jeongmin lost his appetite at lunch. He ignored Minwoo's message of Jeongmin not coming to the door.

Donghyun dropped the bottle he was holding, falling onto his knees.

“His fever is very high, and it's not a good sign for a child his age to be this sick. He should have been brought here earlier.” The doctor sighed. “You're the father that he kept calling for?”

“Sorry?”

“He was crying for his father a little earlier. The man he came with looked a bit disturbed, and I was wondering why he didn't recognise him, but apparently that man was just a babysitter.” The doctor smiled softly, patting Donghyun on his shoulder. “But don't worry, he should be fine.”


How frightened he must have been.

Donghyun hit the back of his head roughly and cursed at himself. Jeongmin must have been so afraid, in so much pain.

His child has been crying for him, but he wasn't there.

He reached for the bottle he let fall, wondering how much it would hurt if it came in contact with his head.

Maybe half of what Jeongmin felt?

-

“Hey. How do you like Jeongmin?” Donghyun asked, his head wrapped in bandage.

Minwoo stared at Donghyun, and the older man figured he hasn't really forgiven him for neglecting Jeongmin. Well, neither has Donghyun forgiven himself.

“Hello?”

“You know, it's basic manners to address people by their names.” Minwoo sighed, moving about the house with a mop in hand.

“All right. Minwoo, how do you like Jeongmin?”

Minwoo frowned subtly, concentrating on mopping the part of the floor where Donghyun had vomited on. It was an odd question, and Minwoo didn't want to overthink Donghyun's intentions. “I like him very much.”

“D-Do you want to keep him?” Donghyun coughed to hide the shakiness of his voice. He avoided Minwoo's sharp raise of his head, knowing the younger man's eyes were probably burning holes in his head. “Like, since you like kids and all.”

“Kim Donghyun, what the hell are you talking about?” Minwoo hissed quietly, and Donghyun didn't notice him approaching. He didn't even have it in him to realise Minwoo just called him by his full name when he was his boss.

“Like, I guess having a child wouldn't help you find a wife, but you could be a better father-”

Donghyun winced, hand immediately pressed against his cheek which was stinging from the slap Minwoo sent his way. He looked up and was about to curse the younger for his rude actions when he saw the man looked so broken, barely holding himself up as he fell to the floor. He had seen those tears, Donghyun thought, the previous night when Minwoo ran out of the hospital.

“Don't you dare leave Jeongmin.” Minwoo spoke quietly between his sobs, body shaking uncontrollably.

Donghyun wasn't sure what made him so sympathetic. He lowered himself and held the younger man, offering some warmth as he wrapped his arms around Minwoo. The babysitter, as if waiting for some comfort this entire time, finally broke down.

He clung onto Donghyun's shirt, sobbing pathetically. The older man never saw such an uncontrolled expression, such a miserable figure from Minwoo before. He always had this smug aura like everything was under his control. He was never uncertain, he was never broken. Hell, the first day they met, Minwoo already suggested a makeover for his kitchen like it was his own.

So the runny nose and wide open mouth was almost endearing. It was ugly, not Minwoo's best expression, but it was like Donghyun finally saw past the calm image the younger had built for himself. Behind it was this child that was crying, yelling, to be comforted all this long while.

“T-they died.” Minwoo coughed, and Donghyun rocked them both gently like he used to do for Jeongmin when the child was two. “A-and my sister, a-and-”

“Shh.” Donghyun shushed the younger, patting Minwoo's back in a simple rhythm as if teaching him to breathe. Minwoo struggled against his clogged up nose and fits as his tears interfered with his breathing. “Relax.”

“And I was alone.” A voice that was less than a whisper, and Minwoo's face scrunched up as memories came back to him. “I called for them. My dad, my mom, my sister.”

Donghyun pressed his lips together, the younger now even more hysterical with his memories flashing past in his mind. He tightened his grip, feeling fingernails dig into his back.

“A car crash.” Minwoo winced, the words still bitter as they left his lips. “And I asked why they didn’t take me with them.”

“They wanted you to live for them.” Donghyun replied quietly, the younger now calming down visibly after he explained his outburst.

Minwoo flinched.

“But it's so hard.”

Donghyun then Minwoo's hair, resisting the younger's attempt to pull away. He held the other firmly, feeling each attempt grow weaker. He kept Minwoo's hair, the way his mother did for him when he was younger.

“You did well, Minwoo. You did well.”

His shirt tightened as Minwoo grabbed onto it, and he didn't need to see the younger's face that was now pressed against his chest to know what sort of expression he wore.

-

“What is this?” Minwoo blinked, carrying a bunch of groceries in a hand and holding Jeongmin's hand in the other. Donghyun had given him spare keys after the incident, and he was now free to enter and leave the house like it was his own.

What he came home to was not the clean floor he had swept two hours earlier, though, but one with rose petals scattered all over in a shape of a heart.

“Oh, wow, how cute!” Minwoo smiled brightly, and Donghyun then took confident strides out from his hiding place. “Right, Jeongmin? Daddy must have prepared a very special event for you!”

Donghyun almost tripped himself, sighing. He hurried back to his initial hiding place, watching Minwoo fake his excitement to make Jeongmin feel happy too.

Three months after Jeongmin's fever and Donghyun slowly took notice of Minwoo's behaviour. He wasn't just a babysitter anymore, not when he cried in Donghyun's arms. It's not like Donghyun can just conveniently forget the intimate moment...which honestly shouldn't be given so much importance. Minwoo probably didn't think much of it, but Donghyun decided he should be slightly nicer to Minwoo and maybe a little more attentive.

And then he noticed how Minwoo always had this late reaction to unexpected things. Donghyun suggested they go for dinner at a restaurant and Minwoo had this surprised, mild expression which suddenly turned into a bright, cheery face as he turned to Jeongmin. Donghyun took a break from work to spend more time with Jeongmin like Minwoo said, and he had this amused look in a second and a happy dance after. Like he was being a clown for Jeongmin or something.

And Donghyun would hate it, but know that Minwoo was the perfect mother figure Jeongmin needed. Someone who could understand the child's needs and address them, and some days-

Some days, he found himself staring at Minwoo in his blue apron, watching the hardworking back view. Some days, he found himself walking up to Minwoo from the back and then staring at his own hands, as if astounded by his instincts.

Some days, he wondered if all he saw in Minwoo was a mother figure to his child.

“Roses!” Jeongmin cheered, gathering the petals in his arms and then throwing it up in the air.

Minwoo then left Jeongmin to play with rose petals for a bit while he sorted out the groceries. By the time he returned, there was a sulky Donghyun and an excited Jeongmin. “What's up?”

“He wants to put them in the bath for a rose bath.” Donghyun said in a deadpanned tone, glaring at Minwoo.

“That's nice, we should try it!” Minwoo smiled, and there was that bright tone again.

Minwoo's eyes long left Donghyun for Jeongmin.

Donghyun smirked, turning to his son. “Jeongmin, can you carry all this into the bath?”

“Yes, daddy! I can!” Jeongmin nodded eagerly as if given permission. His father then nodded and taking the cue, the toddler reached for a piece of paper and smartly gathered all the petals in it, slowly tottering away.

Minwoo looked amused for a second and was about to help Jeongmin fill up the bath when a grip around his wrist pulled him back and locked him in place. He watched Donghyun place both his arms to block his exit, then the older man's narrowed eyes.

“Yes?” Minwoo raised his eyebrow, wondering what to think about their proximity.

“I'm officially wooing you, Minwoo.” Donghyun said lowly. “That wasn't an event for Jeongmin. And those petals weren't meant for a flower bath.”

“I'm not quite sure what inspired this, but you must be mistaken.” Minwoo shrugged, trying to leave only to find Donghyun trapping him deeper. “I'm just a babysitter.”

“Yeah, for now.” Donghyun's words held so much conviction that Minwoo found himself almost believing the words when he realised he was the party involved. “I said I'm officially wooing you. It's a just-so-you-know statement so you don't play off every move I make as an event for Jeongmin.”

Minwoo took in a deep breath and tried to think of something to dissuade the older man when Jeongmin came back with the emptied paper. With wide innocent eyes, Jeongmin stared at them and then slowly grinned.

“Kiss?” Jeongmin giggled, making a kissy-face as if teasing them both.

Donghyun chuckled at his son's action, then turned back to Minwoo who flinched instantly. “Relax, I'm not about to kiss you. I would, only when you let me.”

The older man then shifted away and Jeongmin looked so disappointed. He ran to Minwoo and nudged the man who stayed unmoving, and was then dragged away by his father to start letting water into the bath.

-

“You're going to school.” Donghyun stated, watching Jeongmin nod lightly. He had expected the young boy to make a fuss, but apparently Minwoo must have instilled some ideas about school in the boy for him to be so accepting. Well, then he sure should have done it earlier. “It's in the middle of the school term but pre-schoolers shouldn't have exams so you should be fine.”

“I get many friends?” Jeongmin asked brightly, hands moving animatedly.

“Jeongmin, put down your utensils when you want to use your hand.” Minwoo said, pressing down on Jeongmin's hand from the side. “And what did I say about talking with your mouth full?”

“Oops.” Jeongmin chewed quickly, then swallowing what was in his mouth. “Talking with my mouth full is ugly!”

“Yes, so finish eating and then talk.” Minwoo smiled, ruffling Jeongmin's hair. The young boy's hair was growing a bit too long. “You need a haircut before school, Jeongmin.”

Donghyun reached for his own and tried to remember what he looked like in the mirror that morning.

“Yeah, you too.”

He watched the younger concentrate on wiping Jeongmin's mouth but swore Minwoo must have spoken. A light smile, and Donghyun found his excuse to tag along to the barber shop.

“Anyway, if Jeongmin is schooling, you can leave after sending him to school and come back with him.” Donghyun continued, addressing Minwoo this time.

“Yeah, got it.” Minwoo nodded simply, knowing that having his weekdays afternoon free doesn't allow him to take up a second client anyway. It was just more free time for himself.

“Yeah, but I don't intend to cut your current full time pay.” Donghyun informed, then watching Minwoo tilt his head as if to ask why. “You come in the early mornings and leave late at night. You probably can't go far even after sending Jeongmin to school and it's not like I can't afford it. Right, do you want to move in? We have a guest room available as you know, and you've been keeping it clean but we just don't get enough guests.”

“It's okay.” Minwoo shook his head, and Donghyun's expression slightly faltered.

He thought it was a great master plan.

Giving his son a signal, he watched Jeongmin wear a cheeky expression before turning it to a pitiful one. “Minwoo-hyung, please stay over!”

“No, Jeongmin. It's fine right now.” Minwoo smiled and shook his head, guiding Jeongmin's spoon to his mouth to shut him up.

“Jeongmin wants Minwoo-hyung to stay in the house!” Jeongmin whined, his eyes then quickly welling up with tears.

“Jeongmin, don't make it troublesome for your dad.” Minwoo tried cajoling the boy out of his cries when rejection didn't work, and the first excuse he came up with didn't sound very convincing to him at all.

“Oh, it's no trouble at all.” Donghyun grinned brightly, and Minwoo narrowed his eyes at the older man. How dare he shred his white lie into pieces?

“Stay! Stay! Stay!” Jeongmin wailed, crawling out of his chair to grab onto Minwoo. Minwoo widened his eyes in surprise and hurriedly guided the child’s legs back into the seat, pressing him down as if for a good measure.

“Okay, stop, it's dangerous!” Minwoo warned sternly.

“Okay?” Jeongmin asked hopefully.

“...” Minwoo sighed, the young boy's face then scrunching up for round two. “Okay! Okay!”

Donghyun chuckled quietly, deciding that Jeongmin has really mastered the art of crying.

-

“Sorry, we aren't expecting any deliveries.” Minwoo frowned, opening the door with his elbow as he was in the middle of cooking dinner.

“It's a bouquet for No Minwoo.” The delivery guy announced, and Minwoo nodded.

He then signed apologetically, his hands slightly oily. The man placed it in his arms and Minwoo hugged it all the way to the dining table, before returning to the door to lock it. He then examined the bouquet which came with a card.

Passed by a florist at lunch and thought of you.
- Donghyun


Minwoo sighed, deciding that the uncooked dinner was calling for his attention.

-

“Again?!” Minwoo groaned, pausing in the mopping of his floor to answer the door.

There he was, the delivery man.

“Please sign here.” The man pointed at the empty space and then passed over the parcel he was holding. “Thank you.”

Minwoo opened up the wrapped parcel to find a fluffy blue apron.

It looks cuter than the current one. Use it, I'm sure Jeongmin would like it.
- Donghyun


“Jeongmin doesn't care.” Minwoo muttered deadpannedly, staring at the apron and then putting it aside.

-

Donghyun would fake nonchalance every time he came home, but Minwoo was gaining presents one by one, ranging from new clothes that Donghyun would urge him to wear, a towel for him to use, some lavender scented shampoo and even cologne.

What?

He hasn't touched them, just leaving it around the house since it was bought by Donghyun.

Though the flowers were currently sitting atop the dining table, carefully watered every day.

“Coming!” Minwoo sighed, opening the door and signing the papers almost immediately. “Thank you.”

He took hold of the smaller than usual parcel, curious about what it was this time.

I noticed your choice of underwear colour isn't too y when searching for my socks amongst the laundry the other day. Wear these. Jeongmin might like it.
- Donghyun


Oh yeah, and it always contained Jeongmin's name, even though the young boy didn't care.

Minwoo stared at the present incredulously and paused. He reached for his underwear and dragged it out, vaguely remembering the colour to be...gray.

“What's wrong with gray.” Minwoo rolled his eyes, putting the package of underwear away.

-

“It's my birthday tomorrow.” Donghyun whispered as Minwoo did his dishes for the day. The younger man paused, turning to look at Donghyun suspiciously. “Really!”

“Really?” Minwoo pressed his lips together. “That's cool, I didn't know we had the same birthday.”

Donghyun blinked, taking an involuntary step back. He was silently thankful for Minwoo turning his back, or he would have seen the look of surprise on the older man's face.

He was still complimenting himself for being a genius to lie to the younger that his birthday was tomorrow, just so he could make Minwoo wear and use everything he had bought for him as soon as possible. The younger never told him about his birthday, and he almost let tomorrow slip past him if not for his crafty plan.

“Anyway, let's fulfil each other's birthday wish.” Donghyun started, regaining his composure.

“I don't have any.” Minwoo shrugged. Birthdays were just like any other day when you spend it alone every year. He was making enough to survive, and the idea of love became too distant for him to bother about settling down, so birthdays were just another day at work.

“Well, I do. So in case you feel indignant about fulfilling my wish, you can use yours.” Donghyun grinned, then nudging the younger. “Use everything I bought for you tomorrow, morning till night. We're heading out for dinner after picking Jeongmin up.”

Minwoo thought about the underwear he left to hang and didn't bother keeping from the line of laundry. “No.”

“Well, on a normal occasion I would let you go with just that,  but tomorrow's my birthday.” Donghyun started his guilt tripping, watching Minwoo struggle with it like he planned. The younger sighed with a small nod, and left Donghyun dancing out the kitchen.

“Ugh.” Minwoo winced, wondering if he could survive tomorrow.

-

“You know.” Donghyun spoke, voice in a lower register than usual since he just woke up. “The fluffy apron looks better on you than I expected.”

Minwoo rolled his eyes, elbowing the older man. “Brush your teeth, breakfast will be ready in ten.”

Donghyun chuckled, leaning his face against the back of Minwoo's head and breathing in. “Minwoo, use the shampoo before picking Jeongmin up later.”

“You're so annoying!” Minwoo sighed exasperatedly, pushing Donghyun out of the kitchen. “I get it, birthday boy, I'll use everything! Now go wash up!”

Everything. Donghyun smirked, because there was something y about everything.

He kept his grin, watching the younger's wrist and noticing the bracelet he got for him was on too.

Minwoo was more obedient than expected.

-

“Yay! Dinner!” Jeongmin cheered, placed in a good mood after an active afternoon and having both Donghyun and Minwoo pick him up after school.

“Dinner!” Minwoo laughed, then leading the young boy to a nearby toilet. “Let's get you changed into nice, fresh clothes all right? Do you want to shower too?”

“Yes, please!” Jeongmin spoke politely, expression so pretty that Minwoo wanted to hug him tight. “Jeongmin wants to be clean!”

“I'll wait outside.” Donghyun nodded, slightly amazed that the school has shower rooms too. “Would explain the school fees I guess.”

Donghyun thought about the clothes he bought Minwoo, wondering if Minwoo always got himself wet from helping Jeongmin shower.

Twenty minutes passed and he suddenly heard Minwoo exclaiming. “Don't run around, Jeongmin! I haven't dried your hair!”

“Daddy doesn't dry his hair either!” Jeongmin giggled, running out the toilet into Donghyun's legs. He grabbed them and looked up at his father, a cheeky grin in place. “Right?”

“So I say, you've got to show better habits around your son.” Minwoo sighed, and Donghyun didn't quite expect the younger to be wearing the fluffy apron here. “Now, Jeongmin, remember that I dry my hair.”

“I've never seen you shower!” Jeongmin sang happily, hiding behind his father.

“I bathe when you're in school. But I do. And that's why my hair is soft and fluffy, and you like that, right?” Minwoo cooed, carrying the younger in his arms and then finding a bench to sit on. “Now stay still, I'll dry your hair in a minute.”

“Sixty! Fifty nine! Fifty eight! Fifty!”

“It's fifty seven. Jeongmin, your number counting skill is perfectly fine.” Minwoo frowned, fingers skilfully massaging the young boy's head while drying his hair. “If you don't behave, we'll go straight home.”

“I'll behave!” Jeongmin hurriedly promised, then keeping still. Donghyun chuckled, and the sound he made got him arrowed to keep the toiletries Minwoo had brought with him and bring Jeongmin's soiled clothes out of the toilet.

By the time they packed up and were ready to go, Donghyun was almost finding it a pity to point out that Minwoo was still wearing his apron.

The younger blushed a bright shade of pink, and Donghyun decided that was cuter than Minwoo in an apron.

Jeongmin then grabbed onto both Donghyun's and Minwoo's hand, swinging them happily as they walked to Donghyun's car. Jeongmin told Donghyun all about sports day at school, and Minwoo watched them both with a small smile. Jeongmin doesn't say it explicitly, but he must be really happy to have his father fetch him from school.

-

“Are you full?” Minwoo smiled, helping Jeongmin wipe his mouth.

“No!” Jeongmin exclaimed, protruding stomach stating otherwise. He laughed sheepishly, hands thrown up into the air. “Cake!”

“That's right, no birthday is complete without a cake.” Donghyun grinned, then cueing the waiter to bring out the cake he had ordered earlier.

The younger man stared at the cake, frowning at the words.

“Happy Birthday, Minwoo!” Jeongmin read happily, finger tracing the shape of the words on the cake. “Yay!”

Donghyun then lit the candle, and Minwoo looked at the bright Jeongmin, merely excited for cake. They sang the Happy Birthday song with Jeongmin screaming it out, much to Minwoo's embarrassment. The other customers at the restaurant only chuckled happily at the young boy's antics, not minding the noise too much.

“Make a wish! Make a wish!” Jeongmin urged, and Minwoo clasped his hands together, eyes closing. He didn't have a wish to make, but it was a good thing for Jeongmin to believe in wishes made upon birthday candles.

Minwoo then counted to five, before opening his eyes and inviting Jeongmin to blow the candle with him.

“Daddy too!” Jeongmin grinned, and Donghyun nodded.

Minwoo then shifted the cake closer to Jeongmin, leaving the father to reach over the table a bit further. Jeongmin raised his fingers and counted to three, and Donghyun knew Minwoo would fake a blow to let Jeongmin do the honours.

The unknowing child clapped his hands happily, then urging for Minwoo to hurry up and cut the cake.

-

Jeongmin went to bed without a fuss, the heavy dinner and the tiring sports day taking its toll on the small body. Minwoo tucked Jeongmin under the blankets snugly, then closing the door after him as he left.

“Care for some alcohol?” Donghyun asked, hand supporting his chin as he waited at the dining table.

Minwoo raised his eyebrow at the offer, vaguely trying to remember when the last time he had alcohol. With his job, he didn't really find the need to indulge in alcohol and there weren't any colleagues for him to drink with. He could hold his liquor the way a typical man could, but that was about it. “Yeah, sure.”

The younger man then made his way to the refrigerator, bringing out two bottles of alcohol that Donghyun had kept. He placed them on the table, stepping back and wondering if the table was a bit too empty.

“You want some snacks to go along with it?” Minwoo asked, hovering over his seat so he could leave for the kitchen anytime.

“Yeah, that'd be great.” Donghyun nodded, watching Minwoo search the bag he had brought out for his apron.

The younger boy then brought out a pan and some ingredients from the fridge, mind making plans on what side dishes he could put on the table that could complement the alcohol.

Slicing some vegetables in preparation, Donghyun stared at the younger's back view again. He stood up, legs taking steps forward and hands doing what it couldn't before.

Minwoo jumped, the hands around his waist and the chin digging into his shoulder all too close for his comfort.

“You know.” Donghyun started lowly. “I was picking out my socks before work today and I saw all the leftovers, so I know exactly which one you're wearing right now.”

The younger lowered his head as a natural blush took over the colour on his face, himself trying to concentrate on the vegetables before him. Donghyun gave his a light pat causing him to jump up again, this time with a squeak.

“You sure you're not going to make any birthday wishes?” Donghyun whispered, and Minwoo knew he could probably fight the older's advances away with a knife in hand. He just didn't quite have the resolve to do it.

“It's not your birthday today.” Minwoo sighed, reaching for a plate to place the nicely cut vegetables away for now.

“Very observant of you.” Donghyun chuckled, the scent of lavender mixed gently with cologne surrounding them both. “When did you realise?”

“Jeongmin didn't say a word about it.” Minwoo said, reaching for some leftover meat and then mincing them. “You just abused your birthday rights.”

“And you're not using yours.” Donghyun shrugged, arms tightening around the younger man. “You know, I told myself that if one day, I decided to settle down with someone I deem worth it, I would hold them tight.”

Minwoo winced, the hold around him almost suffocating.

“Really tight.”

-

“You're not very good at drinking.” Donghyun chuckled, amused as Minwoo laid against his shoulder, mumbling incoherently.

“At least me no smash head into bottle.” Minwoo whined, hand crawling towards the bottle he hasn't finished. Donghyun grabbed it before he could, the younger then left to paw the air. “Me want...”

“They say people are more honest when they're drunk.” Donghyun smiled, leaving the dishes and then helping Minwoo out of his chair. The younger clung onto him, barely balancing himself. “What's your wish, birthday boy?

“Nah-ting!” The drunk man giggled, tripping over himself. He managed to grab Donghyun's shoulder before falling, then raising his head when Donghyun only let him flail around like some fish out of water.

Minwoo wrapped his arms around the older's neck for support, and Donghyun watched the clouded eyes fix their gaze on his lips.

“Your wish?” The older man whispered, not wanting to be too loud for the other.

Minwoo looked into Donghyun's eyes, his hands raised to trace the older's features. Their proximity was making him giddy, even more than the alcohol did.

“Kiss me.”

-

Donghyun reached for a photo frame Minwoo had brought with him, waving it before the younger. “Woah, you never told me you had a younger brother.”

“I'm the younger one.” Minwoo laughed, wondering how Donghyun thought he was the older kid in the photo. “That was my neighbour. He moved away half a year before I was taken in by my relatives, but this is an old picture taken when we were younger. I can't remember what he looked like though. He was an adult when he left so he should look about the same, but I don't remember much after the accident.”

“This neighbour sounds important.” Donghyun shrugged, wondering what was so familiar about the picture.

“Nah, I can't remember much about him. What's important was my mom's written words behind it, but a photo frame is for photos so I left the front to show.” Minwoo smiled softly, removing the photo from the frame and showing it to the older man.

May you always keep that smile.

Minwoo the words and had the same light smile, then placing it back into the frame. He continued moving his other luggage into his new home, leaving Donghyun to ponder about the picture.

“That's mean.” Donghyun spoke quietly, the bright face of the younger boy in the picture, realising what made it so familiar. “When you made me remember you.”

-

This was long. Very long. Like 9k words long.
Honestly it's very messy, a lot of ideas here and there and I just loosely tied them up at the end LOLZ.
(And I just named the baby Jeongmin cause I at coming up with names. I was tempted to name the baby Minwoo but it would be so confusing lolz)
And I guess people didn't like the previous story very much though, oh wells. HAHA.

A slightly lighter story for Valentine's! May everyone have a loveydovey day with their loved ones!
/and may Donghyun and Minwoo be dating/

IDEA FROM satsuyue:
"I would like to see (...) donghyun as a single father with cute toddler and minwoo visiting them"
I kinda didn't follow the prompt very much, 'cause babysitter just feels more fun HAHA.

Still, thanks for the 2 comments, appreciate it <3!