The To Do List

Just a Child

------------------------------ The To Do List
Donghyun as a Boss
Minwoo as a Secretary
Universe 13
warning(s): vulgar language (I'm always vulgar lol), inaccurate business knowledge, a lot of dialogues, word spam.


“I need a y secretary.” A man in his early thirties announced, ignoring the many looks of disbelief. “Work is a bore. I need anything to make it interesting.”

His current (temporary) assistant hurried to the front. “Am I doing anything wrong?”

The man looked at the one who came forth distastefully. He looked to the others who seemed to understand the problem, and then back to the assistant.

“You're old and wrinkly, old man.” The man commented rudely, swiping a piece of blank paper from a random employee's cubicle. Picking his pen from his assistant's pocket, he then drew a box, writing three simple words. Satisfied with his scribble, he returned the pen and slapped the paper on his assistant's body. “Put this on the newspapers.”

The assistant stared at the paper with widened eyes and a horrified expression. The other employees came over, some bursting out into unstoppable fits of laughter.
 

WANTED
Y secretary


-

It completely surprised the mass. On one full page of the national newspaper job advertisement page was a scribble boxed up roughly, obnoxiously taking up the whole page.

Firstly, it was a written job ad. Secondly, it was by one of the newest and biggest electronics company in Korea. Thirdly, the words themselves were questionable. Other than three words, there was the company's logo and then nothing else.

Where to go for the interview? What's the pay? Education requirements?

Apparently not important enough compared to what made the cut.

While it had been his orders, he called for the idiot who posted up the job advert. “, don't you know to at least type it out?! And the hell, I want interviews to be on one day, tell them to wear y outfits and that their pay is negotiable.”

They then had to reject a mass of crowd outside their headquarters, along with the appeasement of the fuming board of directors.

“We do not approve of CEO Kim's action!” An elderly man hollered, slamming the table angrily.

“Chill, old man.” The said CEO Kim strolled in, surveying the crowd of very important people. “I don't want to attend any funerals.”

“You!” The man pointed at the newcomer, face turning red as blood rushed to his head.

“Yes, me. The one who increased our share prices in six months and sent money into your pockets, me. I want a ing y secretary to reward my efforts and if you don't agree, I'm sure I can send our prices down.”

Silence.

A smirk.

“So I get my y secretary?”

-

“Next.”

“Neext.”

“Neeext.”

“Neeeext.”

“That was all of them.” His assistant winced, going through the stack of applications. “I thought a few of them were pretty...what was that word...”

“ty.” A sharp reply. “I want y. That's seductive but with class. Some subtleness would be great but every one of them looks like a cheap ride to the red light district. If I wanted HIVs, I would call them. Are there anyone left?”

The assistant shook as the man's mood turned sour, as if ready to blow up. The two had taken over the receptionist area since it was his company and it was a lot easier than coordinating the mass of girls who came for the job.

Then came a young lost sheep.

“Hello, receptionist?” The young man approached with a small smile. “I'm here for a three o'clock interview with the marketing department.”

It was odd, sure it was, that the older receptionist was panicking because he approached the younger receptionist.

“Your name?”

“Minwoo. No Minwoo.”

“Age?”

“24.”

“Fresh graduate?”

“Yes. See, I'm really here for the interview so I would rather speak to my interviewer-”

“Expected pay.”

“$2,700.”

Lowest expected pay.”

“$2,500?”

“Mm, you can leave.”

Minwoo felt his eyebrow twitched. No, his entire body was twitching with urge to punch this receptionist.

“Which floor is the-”

“Minwoo, you're not going to get the job.”

“If I took the ing time to come here for an interview, then I expect an interview. Not from a receptionist who assumes he knows it all.” Minwoo snapped, then glaring at the older receptionist who was now sweating buckets. What was wrong with him? Why would he look so nervous for?

“That's y.”

“What the hell?”

“I'm offering you a job, starting pay of $5,000. What do you say?”

“...who the hell are you?”

“Yes or no?”

“If it's a job here-”

“In this building.”

“-then yes. But who the hell are you?”

“Kim Donghyun, your new boss.”

-

“I still can't believe that's the definition of a y secretary. To think he went against the board of directors for that.”

Minwoo decided their office's pantry was a bit too big.

“You think he gave the CEO head? Maybe that's why he got the job.”

Although Donghyun did offer to let him use his private one.

“Ew, you mean- ugh. Can't believe that would resort to- ew.”

“Can't believe these are the important figures in the office.” Minwoo cleared his throat, walking over to the gossiping two ladies. “Your CEO is a jerk, and I would never give him head. If you think I got the job by doing that, then you can offer your and see if he gives you a second glance.”

“Who do you think you are?!” The woman on the right asked, eyes widened at the sheer insolence of the new hire. Minwoo vaguely remembered her to be some senior department manager or something.

“Oh, just your CEO's secretary.”

-

“I want to quit.”

“Hey, hey, kitten. What made you mad?” Donghyun cooed, dropping his papers at hand. “Wanna sit on my lap and let it out?”

“You wish.” Minwoo spat, glaring at the carefree man that was the source of all his troubles. “I want to quit. How do I go about it?”

“Hey, I'm not letting you go yet.” Donghyun frowned, gaze slowly losing the previous cheeriness. “Where did you go?”

“The pantry.”

“Mine's all for you to use.”

“So that I won't hear them talk crap about me?” Minwoo gritted his teeth, slamming both his hands onto the wooden table between them, then glaring down at the man before him. “When would you let me go? When you're sick of me?”

“I don't know, kitty. Fact is, you're with your anger.” Donghyun shrugged, but his eyes were piercing. “They are all a bunch of old hags, so they don't have nice things to say. My pantry has everything outside and more, use it.”

“I want to quit.”

“Kitten, treat it as a favour for me. I need someone to keep my sanity intact in this asylum.” Donghyun stood and grabbed Minwoo by his tie, smirking. “Hey, wear ties often, I think I'm starting to like them.”

“I'm quitting. Go grab a girl who would give you head and wear ties for you. I would rather a normal job-”

.”

Minwoo flinched, feeling Donghyun's lips hovering dangerously over his as the older dragged him by his tie. He stared back at his boss who glared at him coldly, eyes almost squinting. The grip around his tie continued to tighten, and he was pulled closer while his breathing only became more laboured.

“That's what they said to you?” A quiet voice, and Minwoo found his hands desperately tugging onto his tie.

“Yes, now if you could try not to kill me.” Minwoo managed, feeling Donghyun release his grip. He adjusted his tie and then turned to the silent man, taking a deep breath as if to compensate for what he couldn't take in earlier. “I'm pretty sure the contract said a month's notice, so I'm out of here in a month.”

-

Day 2 of his job and it still feels as foreign as America is. Well, Minwoo never stepped foot into the USA, but it probably feels like this.

A bunch of people staring at you.

“That's every last one of the people on this floor?” Donghyun confirmed with his previous assistant, now given the title “Director of Internal Affairs”. He still did the same things, but has to go through Minwoo on a normal basis if he wanted to communicate with Donghyun.

“Yes, sir.”

“Okay, now I want every single one of you to give me a .”

Minwoo widened his eyes at the atrocious request. The women all looked scandalised while the men winced in disgust.

“No? But I heard someone had the guts to say that my lovely secretary right there gave me head.” Donghyun stated lowly, glaring at the crowd. “Minwoo, I would appreciate if you could make your way here onto my lap.”

“How would you like a punch to your face?” Minwoo rolled his eyes, unmoving.

“See, this man wouldn't listen to a single word I say and someone thinks he gave me a .” Donghyun smiled humourlessly, then picking out two from the crowd and dismissing the rest. “Guilty faces, huh?”

“W-we d-didn't.”

“Well, all I have to do is ask Minwoo, right?” Donghyun turned to the said man, watching him watch the two ladies.

Minwoo could guess what Donghyun would do to them, and frankly he would love to get his revenge. But not at the expense of having them both fired. He pressed his lips together, watching them tremble under his gaze.

“No.”

“Leave, and if you know what I mean, then you know what to do.” Donghyun frowned, dismissing them both. Minwoo's eyes followed their figures out of the large CEO's room, himself half regretting the lenient treatment. “I didn't know my kitten was so kind.”

“I'm not your kitten, and I'm not kind.” Minwoo sighed, turning and then losing balance when he realised Donghyun was right behind him. A strong arm caught him before he could fall, and Minwoo found himself grabbing onto the other's shoulder for support. He hurriedly fixed his stance, coughing awkwardly. “Thanks.”

“Aw man, you're too cute like that.” Donghyun grinned, and the arm that caught the younger never really left him. “Hey, kitten. Don't quit.”

“Hey boss, I'm quitting.”

“I'm gonna send letters to every company and tell them not to hire you.” Donghyun sang, and took advantage of the fact that Minwoo hasn't started fighting his grip. He hugged the younger's form tightly from the back, taking in the light scent from Minwoo's soft locks.

“Yeah, I could just set up my own.”

“You'd need investments, I'll cut them all off.”

“Aren't you just the nicest person on Earth?”

Donghyun smirked, lips ghosting over Minwoo's ear. Minwoo started struggling to get out, but he was honestly no match for Donghyun's frequent trips to the gym. The said man then lowered his tone, voice less than a whisper. “Stay.”

-

“Thank you, Director Lee.” Minwoo thanked politely, adding a bow to express his sincerity.

“Don't call me that.” The old man chuckled, shaking his head slightly. “Feel free to approach me anytime for help.”

“That is your title.” Minwoo smiled, somehow feeling very at ease in this battlefield-like company as long as it was with this man. He was like a father figure to Minwoo ever since he came in, even though Minwoo did kind of take over his position. Patiently teaching Minwoo the ropes and always giving small tips, it was a breath of fresh air compared to the smell of gunpowder from the rest. “What else could I call you?”

“It always makes me so uncomfortable.” The old man laughed, slightly patting Minwoo's back. “You know, I'm actually not very educated. I was a humble butler for young master, but because I hurt my back one day while moving some heavy things, young master made me his assistant instead.”

Minwoo blinked, unable to believe his ears. The man before him was so well-dressed and knew so much about the company. He was treated with respect wherever he went, unlike Minwoo who so obviously got in without any experience.

“It's true. Young master's really kind. He might not have the nicest things to say, but he was brought up under the strictest conditions and definitely has a very kind heart.” The old man chuckled fondly, staring at the door where CEO Kim sat behind. “After all, you know the story, right? They were just a middle-class family until young master turned 22. He was the one coming up with new plans behind the scenes, working till late at night while coping with school work. His father used to be a bit apprehensive about trusting him, but recently passed the baton seeing how adept he was at managing this company. Probably because he wasn't brought up rich, he knows what being down-to-earth is-”

“And decided to employ himself a supposedly y secretary.” Minwoo narrowed his eyes at Director Lee, catching himself and hurriedly apologising. “I'm sorry.”

“It's fine, it's fine.” The man chuckled heartily, patting Minwoo's back again. “You do know how scary office politics can be, right? However good he is at managing a company, interpersonal relationships are always tricky. He probably wanted an innocent young sheep like you instead of someone scheming to get in or whatnots. Makes him more comfortable.”

“Well, I think Director Lee is the best choice, and there was no need for me to replace you.” Minwoo raised his eyebrow, before cursing at himself internally. He needs to be less rude with the seniors around here, however easy-going Director Lee was.

“Mr Lee is fine. Well, he did say something like I was old and wrinkly.” The man laughed as he thought back, smile so sincere Minwoo applauded him for not taking those words to offence. “I guess this is good, he needs someone his age around too.”

“Well...how old is-”

Minwoo stopped himself short, turning to his ringing office phone. There was only one person who calls him, and that somehow instantly put him in a bad mood.

“What.”

Woah, kitty, who put you in a bad mood? If you woke up on the wrong side of the bed, you could sleep in mine and I'll make sure to sleep on the left.

“Hah.” Minwoo dryly replied, feeling a few of his brain cells wasted on a bad pun. “What do you want?”

I wanna see you.

“A-are you sure you can just hang up-” Director Lee looked a bit shocked, watching Minwoo slam his phone back into the cradle.

“It's okay. You know how stupid he can get.” Minwoo shrugged, smiling. “I shall not bother you any further, thank you for your help today!”

Another ring.

Minwoo sighed.

Okay, okay. Wanna join me for lunch?

Another ring.

I get it, how about coffee?

Yet another.

Man, you play way too hard to-

Guess what?

I need a new piece of A4 paper.

Uh-huh.

I really need that paper.

Right.

Come on...

And?

There's a thief in here!

“Oh my goodness, you're the most childish thing ever!” Minwoo sighed exasperatedly. “This ringing phone is annoying the hell out of every worker on this floor, so stop!”

All you have to do is come in, you know. My door's open for you, kitten.

“I walk on twos, I speak Korean, I wear clothes. What, pray tell, about me make you think I'm a cat?” Minwoo groaned, still sorting through the paperwork Director Lee passed to him earlier and told him to organise before bringing it to the CEO. With Donghyun calling so ever often, it'd probably take forever for him to finish.

I'd tell you if you come in.

“Just burn in hell.”

-

“Can you hurry up and sign so I can go on my way?” Minwoo sighed, staring out the large glass window that showed him the amazing scenery from a height of the 28th floor. Sure gets scary sometimes. Of course, he was doing this to avoid looking at the man who was staring back creepily. “I said-”

“Kitty, let me look at you for a bit longer.” Donghyun grinned, head still rested against his palm for the best angle to watch his secretary. He wasn't sure what his ex-butler taught Minwoo, but his secretary doesn't know that it's possible to leave the documents and wait for it to be signed.

That's cute, 'cause it means he can keep Minwoo here for as long as he doesn't sign.

“Ugh, honestly.” Minwoo groaned, deciding to sit down instead. When Donghyun has his creepy mode turned up to maximum, he can be left standing for an hour like a dejected salesman. “If I knew my face was so interesting I would have signed up to be an idol.”

Donghyun smirked, himself now completely in between Minwoo and the window. The younger man could only stare at the interesting contract and the pen he was waiting for Donghyun to pick up.

“Idol? Do you sing?” Donghyun shifted his weight to the other hand, fingers crawling towards the pen as if teasing.

“Yeah, horribly off-tune. But my face would be interesting.” Minwoo shrugged, scrunching up his nose at Donghyun's movement. “Pick it up, pick it up.”

“I've never heard a singing kitten, sing something.”

The light on Donghyun's face was almost blinding.

“Yeah? Ever tried Nyan Cat?” Minwoo shot back dryly, glaring at the hand that held his. “My fingers don't bleed ink. The pen you need is right here.”

“That's odd. The grip of this is better.”

Minwoo withdrew his hand, then staring at Donghyun with a deadpanned look. “Come on, I can't be spending the whole day coaxing you into signing something.”

“You can.” Donghyun chuckled, picking up the pen only to spin it. “That's your job.”

“That's an awfully annoying job.”

“Uh-huh, and it's yours.”

Minwoo wished he had some excuse to punch the man's smug face.

-

A week into his job and he was still as close to quitting as he was ever. Minwoo groaned, dragging his feet as he entered the building. He greeted the real receptionist as he always did, then heading for the elevator to the 28th storey.

“...what's with the commotion...?” Minwoo blinked, realising there were quite a few workers that were peeking into the CEO's room. One or two from the crowd saw him and quickly nudged each other, then hurriedly leaving their positions.

“Minwoo, come in.”

Minwoo would have ignored the man's command if not for seeing such a scene beforehand. He placed his belongings on his table outside the CEO's room and then entered as he was told, watching a few displeased faces staring at him.

“Yes?” Minwoo asked, wary of the other workers while giving Donghyun a slight bow as a greeting.

“Do you remember this document?”

Donghyun's tone was solemn, and it was the first time Minwoo saw the other as an actual boss. To be honest, it's a bit scary. Maybe he should appreciate the niceties a little more next time.

“I'm not sure. I go through around forty documents a day.” Minwoo winced slightly, looking at the file held up by Donghyun. “Maybe if you let me read it?”

“Even if he feigned ignorance, the truth is his signature is there.” A man spoke up, and hostility was in the air.

Feigned ignorance?

“He must be an industrial spy. I suggest we get rid of him before he damages the company further.” A woman beside him agreed, an offensive finger pointed straight at Minwoo.

Get rid?

“Shut up!” Donghyun hollered, glaring at the group of employees that were kicking up a fuss. “I'll look into it and make the necessary actions. Get out.”

It didn't seem like the response they wanted, but Donghyun was superior. They gave Minwoo dirty looks on their way out, and Minwoo tried not to feel too small.

“What happened...?” Minwoo bit his lower lip, unsure if he messed something up. He watched Donghyun stare at the file he was previously holding up, but the man never gave him an answer.

Maybe he was supposed to leave too?

Minwoo then turned for the door-

“Close it.” Donghyun said quietly, and Minwoo had to turn his head to confirm the command. “Close the door.”

“Right.” Minwoo replied simply, doing as he was told.

“Come here, Minwoo. Read this.” Donghyun beckoned, the serious atmosphere settling in. His boss didn't even try calling him a cat. That made it serious.

The file in question didn't seem as problematic as the tension made it. Minwoo chewed on his lower lip and knew there was something wrong, but just like a blind man trying to see the spots on a leopard, he was pretty much drawing a blank.

“What's...wrong?” Minwoo mustered up his courage and finally asked.

“Do you remember it?”

“Yeah, I think. Like there was this woman that brought it from the lower floors and asking if you were in. You were out for a meeting so I said nope, and she was anxiously asking me to read it and sign it on your behalf. So I was like okay I'll read it but I can't sign it, and she was like it's okay, it's vetted and approved by some head and she urgently needs it done to meet the client half an hour later.” Minwoo recounted, the odd event still fresh in his head. “So...I signed it. Like I read through it and it seemed okay, and she was repeating that it was vetted and approved by some very important person. Is there something wrong with the contract? I checked what you and Director taught me and they all seemed to be fine.”

“Those details we taught you were fine, but there are conditions in this contract that were written with intentional loopholes. It makes this contract an obviously disadvantageous one. And the fact that you can sign on my behalf makes it worse.” Donghyun sighed, closing his eyes. “Would you be able to identify her for me?”

“...no. My facial recognition skills are at an all-time low.” Minwoo's words trailed off. This office was still a new environment for him, and he had to meet a bunch of people coming to demand a meeting with the CEO, of which he has to send 90% away because the said CEO “doesn't feel like it”.

“Did you get her name? Her department?” Donghyun tried, and Minwoo wondered why that sort of information was so important. “She's trying to frame you. Those people you saw were all trying to bite your tail when you aren't looking.”

“My tail...” Minwoo repeated, wondering why Donghyun's metaphors were all so bad. “Oh! Director Lee did ask me to make a note of every incoming file and outgoing file, maybe we can check against that.”

“Get it here.”

Minwoo nodded and made a quick jog to the door, stopping there. He turned around and hesitated a bit, before finally opening his mouth. “Maybe it was just a mistake on her part?”

“Listen, I hired you, and that means only I can fire you. That means you can't quit, and no one can make me make you quit. Those people barged into my door and demanded you be kicked out, and that clearly shows their motive.” Donghyun spoke, annoyance clear in his tone. “And anyone who decided to play with fire shall be dealt with. Get it here.”

Perhaps Minwoo did look like he didn't know a thing, and probably wasn't cunning enough for this. But for the first time, his boss seemed a bit more reliable, and while the politics in the office seems like it'd be the death of him someday, the trust Donghyun had in him seemed liberating.

Minwoo clutched onto the file he brought into Donghyun's room tightly. He was going to get someone else fired. Knowing that, passing over the file seems like a massive responsibility.

“It's not your fault. Sooner or later, these sort of people will show up.” Donghyun sighed, tugging on the file that Minwoo was reluctant to hand over. “That's why I need a kitten like you. This office can drive me crazy, and it will.”

Minwoo watched as Donghyun went through the file and searched for one that was titled the same as the contract. He tapped his finger on the name that sent it over, and then returned the file to his secretary once again.

“Join me for lunch, kitty.”

Minwoo didn't have it in him to reject.

-

And perhaps that was where he went wrong.

Minwoo grimaced in invisible pain, the sort that kills your brain cells and makes you wish you were dead. Donghyun had dragged him into his expensive convertible car that was 3-months-old and drove him to this 4-star restaurant with exquisite delicacies and a breathtaking interior design. The waiters there all bowed at least a hundred and ten degrees, and Donghyun had the nerves to treat him like a foreign princess.

“Down-to-earth, hah.” Minwoo grumbled, deciding he needed to tell Mr Lee that this man was not as great as he had complimented.

“Mr Kim, your reserved table has been prepared the way you wanted it.” A man bowed politely, and Minwoo noticed he was dressed a little differently from the rest. “I'm the manager on duty, and I will be happy to serve you to the best of my abilities.”

“Yeah? Well then, get rid of that fake tone.” Donghyun shrugged, holding onto Minwoo's hand because the younger refused to let him hold his waist. Of course, Minwoo tried digging his fingernails into the back of Donghyun's hand, but his boss had laced their fingers together which made it difficult to do so.

“P-Pardon?”

“If you want me to come back, then stop with this suffocating act.”

Minwoo sighed, apologising on Donghyun's behalf. At least it was now clear that Donghyun didn't eat this sort of food everyday.

“Man, if I knew it was so pretentious I would find somewhere else.” Donghyun grumbled, looking through the menu with names he could barely pronounce. Minwoo didn't even dare look at the main courses once he saw the prices of soft drinks. “But then again, only somewhere this pretentious is this empty at lunch.”

“It's called class, not pretentious.” Minwoo shook his head disapprovingly, deciding maybe he could just have plain water for lunch. “Remind me never to have lunch with you again.”

“Funny, when did I become your secretary?” Donghyun shot back almost instantly, then passing the menu to the waiting manager. “I don't know how to read your menu. Give both of us steak. Best cut, whatever sauce the chef recommends. Serve some sides, whatever you deem fit and bring out a bottle of wine.”

“I'm not drinking.” Minwoo hurriedly informed the manager, and Donghyun glared at him for his words. He tried a nonchalant shrug. “Someone has to drive.”

“I can get some replacement driver-”

“I have work in the afternoon.”

“Hah, I thought you were working for me. It's an order.” Donghyun finished off, turning to the manager with this I'm-paying-so-you-listen-to-me look. “Two wine glasses. That's all.”

“Would you like desserts?” The manager smiled, although probably a bit troubled by the order that was way too vague. It wasn't like he could question Donghyun further, so he just offered his best service possible.

“Your crème brûlée is famous, right? One for him.” Donghyun paused, staring at Minwoo who looked a bit surprised. “Or maybe two for him.”

“No, one is-”

“Thank you.” Donghyun offered a rare smile, and the manager quickly moved away as if feeling the wrath behind the smile.

“I am never going to dine with you again.” Mjnwoo groaned, fixing his tie a bit. The environment does make him a little self-conscious, although there was no one else nearby to look at him. “Never.”

“Maybe I should keep you here forever.” Donghyun smirked, leaning back against his chair. “Relax, treat it as a welcome party. Like some sort of bribe so you work hard at your job-”

“And yet you're going to make me drink when I have work in the afternoon.”

“And don't quit.” Donghyun smiled, his intent now clear. “Anyway, forget about this morning's case, I dealt with it already.”

“You fired her?”

“...” Donghyun frowned subtly, watching Minwoo look at him expectantly. White lies, white lies. “No, just gave her a warning.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.”

“That's good.” Minwoo nodded, now slightly more comfortable and able to lean back against his own chair too. Donghyun felt almost guilty, but then a relaxed Minwoo was so much better to look at.

“So, kitten. Tell me about yourself.” Donghyun grinned, body leaned forward as he watched his secretary sigh exasperatedly at the nickname he gave him.

“I'm a human. I'm a human. I'm a human.” Minwoo chanted repeatedly, monotonous voice expressing his massive amount of interest in the conversation.

“Are you into men or women?”

“...” Minwoo paused, looking into Donghyun's eyes and somehow feeling the intense gaze burdensome. “You're...interested in me?”

“You mean you never realised?” The older man chuckled, reaching for Minwoo's hand and grabbing it tightly before he could withdraw it. “That's odd, because I was sure you figured it out way earlier.

“You're naturally obnoxious and rude. I thought you're just being flirtatious.” Minwoo shrugged, tugging on his hand.

“Yeah, well, I'd need to be slightly interested in you at least, wouldn't I?” They both stared at their hands, Minwoo still subtly trying to regain ownership of his own hand. “Are you homophobic?”

“I respect your preferences.”

“I have none.” Donghyun pulled back, releasing the younger man's hand. “I'm bi.”

“So...the world's your oyster?”

“That's a cute way to put it.” Donghyun nodded towards the manager who came out with two plates of steak, serving him first before his companion. “Thanks. Kitten, it's time for lunch.”

“I don't need prompting.” The younger man grumbled, picking up his fork and knife. He waited for Donghyun's first bite, then taking his own.

“Says the person who waited for me to eat.”

“It's called manners.”

“You know, I can't decide if I like you all sarcastic or obedient. You were so cute back there in the morning.” Donghyun sighed, as if reminiscing fondly.

Minwoo groaned, deciding the evil Donghyun lived whenever the situation. To think he thought the man was slightly more reliable.

“But then you're pretty y right now.”

“I guess it's not my position to say this, but I'd honestly appreciate it if you could refrain from hitting on me.” Minwoo sighed, eyes focused on the food. The steak was medium well-done, and the savoury sauce blended perfectly with the chewiness of the meat. This meal could very well be his last and he would have no regrets. “I'd like to do my job properly and never make that sort of mistake again.”

“That's not possible.” Donghyun chuckled, eating his food normally as if it was his everyday meal. “Half of your job is to let me hit on you. Remember, kitten, remember that.”

“And the other half is to coax you into signing contracts?” Minwoo rolled his eyes. “I'm not sure if I've said this before, but this is a really awful job.”

“And I'm sure I've said it before, but the job is yours.”

“...I want to quit.”

“I just bribed you into staying, kitten.” Donghyun smirked, gesturing at the meal before Minwoo. “Don't forget it.”

-

“Meeting at 2pm with Board of Directors. To submit signed contract to Marketing by 4pm. There's the instructions to the Sales department you wanted me to craft and it's on your desk waiting for your attention. Your mother called and told you to go for a matchmaking at 7pm at the hotel downtown.” Minwoo read from the schedule he had written to keep himself organised. He looked up from the notebook, giving his boss an unamused look. “Aren't you too old for Candy Crush?”

“That's true, I'd rather a Candy Kiss.” Donghyun smirked, beckoning for Minwoo to come closer. Minwoo stayed unmoving, and Donghyun eased into plan B with a raise of the document Minwoo was previously talking about. “There are some problems with the instructions.”

The secretary still looked a bit doubtful, but there was nothing he could say in response to his boss and instead headed over.

“This side.” Donghyun said as he pushed his chair back to force the other man to come over to his side instead of merely leaning over the table. Minwoo groaned but did as he was told, keeping a safe distance as he craned his neck forth. The seated man clicked his tongue at these actions, then pulling Minwoo by his waist in a smooth move.

Minwoo found himself seated comfortably on Donghyun's lap.

“See.” Donghyun said lowly, chin digging into Minwoo's shoulder. His hands were wrapped around the smaller's figure, document then held up for both of them to see. “You made a typo here.”

“Right, I'll be more careful next time.” Minwoo said quickly, but his boss already let his right hand hold him down. “What?”

“No candy kiss?” Donghyun chuckled, nuzzling against Minwoo's back.

“No.” Minwoo rolled his eyes, prying the other's arm off of his waist. “You can wait until 7pm and meet your date. She'd sure be willing to give you a candy kiss.”

“Are you jealous?”

“If you like to hallucinate so much, go on, but please don't drag me into your fantasies.”

Donghyun stood up suddenly and turned Minwoo as he trapped the younger between himself and the table. Minwoo flinched from the sudden move, eyes widening when Donghyun's face was so close he could see the other's closed eyelids and feel his nose pressed down and-

Minwoo tried fighting the kiss, but was restrained by Donghyun's hands. The older man then cupped his face gently, pulling away slowly as if it had to start and end by his intent.

“Wha-”

“Sorry.” Donghyun whispered, a subtle frown between his eyebrows that Minwoo could have missed if he never observed Donghyun's expression before. Even his apology didn't suit the situation- why did he do something he was going to be sorry for?

The man only sent him away with a dismissive gesture, and Minwoo let the kiss linger on his lips.

-

“Let me meet Kim Donghyun.” A woman with a distractingly low cut dress walked in and demanded. Minwoo raised an eyebrow at the woman, then lowering his head again to finish up the work he was assigned. “Excuse you, I said let me meet Kim Donghyun.”

“If you want to meet him so much then open the door and barge in.” Minwoo muttered under his breath, visibly annoyed by the woman's sharp voice. “He's not expecting guests so you can either leave or wait until I decide I want to ask for your name and purpose of visit. If you want to barge in, it's none of my business either, because you'd probably trigger the security alarm.”

“Well then, ask for my name and purpose of visit, you-”

“No. I don't want to.” Minwoo snapped back, standing up from his seat. “Maybe I would feel like it after a nice cup of coffee or a short break.”

Minwoo stomped off, and that surprised Director Lee. The woman was kicking up a fuss and it's not like they could do anything knowing her identity. Minwoo was the only one unaware, but the fact that he was pissed off right off the bat seemed unnatural.

“Stupid.” Minwoo cursed under his breath, jumping when a hand pressed down gently on his shoulder. “Sorry, yes, Director Lee?”

“You seem a bit out of sorts.” The old man said cheerily, thanking but refusing Minwoo's offer of a cup of coffee. “Did something happen?”

“She was rude.” Minwoo shrugged lightly, then bowing. “Sorry, I'll treat the guests properly from now on.”

“No, I meant before she arrived too...”

“Oh.” Minwoo paused, lips pressed together. “Some idiot decided it was amusing to throw me a bunch of work without so much of any instructions and then asking me to redo them over and over like I'm so free. Who wouldn't want to work happily? He could just ask it of me nicely with some instructions and I could do it as usual but no, he decided to go full-blast jerk mode and just pile work on me. Three days straight. And he even suddenly ki-”

Minwoo caught himself, a light blush colouring his cheeks. “Ah, no. I'm fine. Sorry for rambling, I need to deal with that woman now.”

Chanting some spell and practicing a smile he long stopped wearing, he marched back to his seat to see the woman take it.

“So much for the happy spell.” Minwoo mumbled. “You can just go in, there's no security.”

“You lied to me.”

“You believed me.” Minwoo shrugged. “Look, I'm not in the best of mood so if you wanna meet that jerk of a boss then go ahead. The worst he could do to me is fire me and that's quite an optimistic outcome for me.”

“Your name, kitty.”

“What the hell is wrong with you guys?” Minwoo yelled, realising the entire floor could hear him. “I'm not some feline, so get in there before I change my mind.”

“Your name.”

“Minwoo, come in.” Donghyun emerged from his office, not sparing the woman a glance. “And bring the document we were discussing two hours ago in too.”

“...” Minwoo cursed under his breath, doing as he was told and hurrying into his boss's office. He tried to ignore the woman that followed him in, placing the unfinished revised document on Donghyun's table. “Here.”

“I need you to redo it.”

Minwoo clenched his fists and swore that he needed to sign up for some anger management class by the end of the day before he punches the daylights out of the very important person before him. Taking in a deep breath, he ignored the woman's amused look and let his shaky voice convey his anger. “Which part.”

“The conditions are too biased. I want those changed. I need the Board of Directors to vet this too, so do what you need to do with it.” Donghyun said vaguely, then holding up another file. “I need this organised an hour later, so get this done first.”

“Is that all.” His question sounded more like a statement, each syllable carefully pronounced that it sounded so sharp.

“Guide the lady out.”

“Is this the one who screwed up?” The woman spoke up, causing Minwoo to stop in his actions. “The one who signed the contract-”

“Shut up.” Donghyun's voice was commanding, head nodded at Minwoo to tell him to continue with what he had instructed.

“Minwoo, right?” Minwoo made a face at the way his name sounded from the woman's lips, nodding briefly. “I don't know what you are-”

“Shut up!”

The movements were way too fast. He had a vice grip on the lady's face, lifting her off ground, and his eyes. His eyes were piercing, every inch of him daring the woman to speak.

“Let her go!” Minwoo squeaked, panicking as her face slowly turned pale. He tried shaking his boss to his senses, hands doing all they can to help loosen his grip on the woman. “You'd kill her! Kim Donghyun!”

“Then let her die.”

Minwoo watched as Donghyun released his grip, the lady falling to her knees from the shock. The secretary sighed softly, then helping the woman to her feet before guiding her out.

Kim Donghyun...was scary.

-

Minwoo stood akimbo as the shaken figure took in deep breaths in his seat even five minutes after the traumatic experience. He had made her some hot coffee to sooth her nerves, putting in extra sugar while chanting his happy spell. No point holding a grudge with a woman that almost died.

“Should I you out...?” Minwoo asked quietly, slowly letting his arms fall comfortably to his side. “How do you plan on getting to your next destination?”

She raised her head slightly, expression so different from the one earlier. “...huh?”

Minwoo pressed his lips together and took in a deep breath. “Come on, I know a good place for a breather.”

He held her arms as politely as he could, then supporting her weight as she could barely hold up herself. The rooftop garden was always comforting when he finds himself with a drilling headache from the politics in the office or an extra annoying boss.

Waiting for the elevator in silence, Minwoo stiffened slightly when he felt the lady lean against him a bit more comfortably.

“Thank you.”

“You don't even know where I'm leading you yet.” Minwoo said flatly, raising his eyebrows when the lady gave a light chuckle.

“You're treating me awfully nice for someone who yelled at me earlier.”

“Maybe it's because I'm leading you to a dungeon.”

“...aren't you going to ask about what you heard?”

“No.” Minwoo shrugged, gesturing at the elevator that arrived and held the automatic doors open for the lady beside him. “Not interested.”

One minute later and a few floors up, the lady took in a deep breath and smiled lightly against the soft breeze.

“I'll leave you to your devices here-”

“Stay.” Minwoo frowned slightly at the restricting grip around his wrist. He could just shake it off- “Please.”

“...” The man sighed heavily, nodding. “All right.”

“Thank you.”

“Can't keep you company for really long though. Have a file I need to organise.”

“Just...a while.” The lady spoke quietly. “I don't really have friends so...just a while, as a fake friend.”

“I thought all females have a bunch of company.” Minwoo shrugged, a little helpless when he felt the angsty atmosphere. He's not good at dealing with this...

“When your family is rich and powerful, you have too much company, All so insincere and obvious you figure you're better without any.” The lady smiled humourlessly.

“Oh wow, I messed with another rich kid. As if my cranky boss isn't enough trouble.” Minwoo rolled his eyes, then looking at the lady slightly sympathetically. “So should I be calling you VIP or would your Highness give me a name?”

“You want to know my name?”

“Just something to name my Voodoo Doll with.”

“You're cute.” She laughed sincerely, eyes twinkling as she regarded Minwoo once more, this time more carefully. “Like a kitten.”

“I really, really am starting to hate cats.” Minwoo groaned, trying to pray to the cat god and ask for forgiveness because circumstance forced him to do this.

“But they're so cute!”

“Try being called one by every damn rich kid you meet.”

“So Kim Donghyun branded you as his cat?” The lady pursed her lips thoughtfully, as if trying to think of something.

“He didn't brand me.” Minwoo scowled, mental image of getting stamped on his forehead with the words Kim Donghyun too infuriating. “I don't belong to anybody, much less that jerk of a boss.”

“You know, the man you're cursing at is my supposed fiancé.” The woman looked amused at the scowl on Minwoo's face.

“So what? Should I be running off with my tail in between my legs?” A sarcastic remark accompanied by a roll of his eyes. Minwoo shook his head, trying not to think about how the word fiancé and Kim Donghyun seemed to spell something odd in his head. Something uneasy.

“For someone who doesn't like to be called a kitten, you're very good with your metaphors.”

“.” Minwoo winced. “...I got influenced.”

“I'm Jieun.” She smiled prettily, hand held out for a polite shake. “It's nice to meet you.”

Minwoo took her hand and resisted the urge to shiver. Her hand was cold. “Can't say the same for you.”

“And that's why I already like you.”

-

“You weren't at your seat for ten minutes.”

The voice was distant and low, almost like a cold-blooded murderer.

Minwoo gripped the receiver he was holding onto tighter, half in fear and the other in annoyance.

“Did you talk to her even though you should be working?”

“If there's nothing else-”

“Don't. Don't talk to her.”

Minwoo hung up the call, biting on his lower lip as he sunk into thoughts. He did reject Jieun's offer to explain the issue, so he shouldn't be regretting it right now.

Staring at his files, he sighed and wondered when this would end. If his verbal notice was valid, next week would be his last.

-

“Kim Donghyun's not-”

“I'm here for you, Minwoo.” Jieun smiled, dressed a little more conservatively this time. “Are you free for lunch? Wanna grab a meal together?”

Minwoo vaguely thought back to the 4-star restaurant and how it was the rich kids' playground. “No.”

“Don't be so cold. Secretaries don't have much friends, come on.” Jieun urged, tugging onto Minwoo's arm.

“One, it's not lunch hour yet. Two, I brought my own lunch.” Minwoo frowned, shaking the girl's hand off of him. “Go bother your fiancé.”

“You're sending me to my death?” Jieun pouted. “Cause of death, asphyxiation. Your boss charged with murder and you're the accomplice.”

“I'm definitely not the accomplice.”

“You let me in.” Jieun grinned, nudging the other. “Your doorman job.”

“...”

“What's your lunch? You bought it on the way to work?”

“No, made it at home.”

“You cook!” Jieun clapped her hands happily. “Oh? But wouldn't it be cold by now?”

“I suppose rich kids don't know, but there's an invention called the microwave oven.” Minwoo rolled his eyes. “Now if you'd let me do my job.”

“Minwoo, did you see the-” Donghyun glared at the scene before him, his fiancée clinging onto another man with a wide smile on her face- “Get away from him.”

“That's my choice.” Jieun shot back, eyes as cold as Donghyun's.

“If you meant your file, here it is. You told me to fix the typos.” Minwoo said nonchalantly, pressing the file against Donghyun's form when he wouldn't offer his hand. “Your meeting is in 5 minutes at level 15. Please make your way there now-”

“You're coming with me.”

“Let's see, exactly half an hour ago, you told me to sit in at a department meeting in your stead that happens to start five minutes from now at, wow, level 20.” Minwoo said sarcastically. “I don't know if you've heard of this, but humans only have one body.”

“Can I go to the department meeting too?” Jieun grinned happily, almost ready to stick a tongue out at Donghyun.

“Minwoo.” Donghyun's expression stiffened. “You're coming with me.”

“I-”

“You're coming with me whether I have to drag or carry you there. If you understand what I mean then follow me, no questions asked. Director Lee!” The old man hurried to the scene after standing on the sidelines nervously as he heard the commotion. “Sit in at the department meeting on level 20 now and make a summary of it by the end of the day.”

“Yes, sir!” Director Lee hurriedly bowed and took his leave.

Minwoo took a moment to send a sympathetic look towards the old man for having to do something so suddenly.

Until he saw that look sent back to him.

“Oh, right.”

-

“I say, get the off of him.” Donghyun growled, prying every finger of Jieun's off of Minwoo before making a face at his own as if having touched something contagious. “I'm calling the security.”

“Yeah, go on. You think the security would lay a finger on me?”

“This is my company.”

“Your mother brought me around and introduced me as your fiancée.”

“Doesn't matter, you're still an uninvited guest.”

“Well, if Minwoo puts in a good word-”

“I'm his boss.”

“He can go against you and say I'm his guest.” Jieun shrugged and clung onto Minwoo once more. “He doesn't listen much to you anyway.”

“He wouldn't.”

“He probably likes me better than he likes you.”

“He doesn't.”

“Why don't you ask him, then? Afraid of the truth?”

“...do you?”

Minwoo trudged on with the biggest irrational hatred for the world, half-stomping on the carpeted ground as he made his way into the meeting he didn't even prepare a word for. He doesn't even know who's appearing at the meeting.

“Minwoo, answer me.” Donghyun frowned and would have tapped his foot impatiently if he wasn't walking.

“He likes me better. Of course he would. A rational man with eyes and a brain would prefer me over you.” Jieun made a little twirl on spot, grinning. “I dressed especially for you, Minwoo.”

And alongside his visibly annoyed strides were two bratty rich kids without a care for the world and their circumstance.

He needs to quit.

“Boss, about my termination that I said three weeks ago, next week is my last.” Minwoo turned in into the meeting room, bowing lightly to the many faces present.

Perhaps he should have known to speak about such things in a more private space.

Because Donghyun slammed his fist against the wall which was done cheaply and hence quite hollow, sounding a noise so loud it frightened the many people in the room. Except that it wasn't the most shocking thing, because at that moment, his boss trapped him and leaned down for the most illogical move he could pull off.

A rough, suffocating kiss, each second pressing him further back towards the wall he was against.

Jieun widened her eyes, everyone else mirroring her expression with speechless gasps.

“Stay.” And Donghyun pulled away with a pained but cold expression.

Minwoo glared up at him in turn, and somehow his annoyance must have built up and something in him must have snapped, because his boss was the one who ended up with eyes wide and breath held.

Minwoo stomped out of the room, and Donghyun couldn't chase him.

-

“What the hell did you do to Minwoo?!” Jieun half-screamed, hurrying to the door after gathering herself from the shock.

Donghyun stretched his arm and held the door handle, refusing to budge.

“Let me out! I need to check on-”

“This meeting is between your people and I. It's the reason I let you come along.” Donghyun glared at Jieun, nodding towards the people who were still dumbfounded.

“There's nothing to talk about.” Jieun stated firmly, glaring back at Donghyun.

“Your company took the biased contract and you used it as a threat to take over my company and now you tell me there's nothing to talk about?” Donghyun growled. “Because of this damn contract I worked endlessly to-”

“I used it as threat because it was fun playing your fiancée and driving you crazy. I thought if I was going to be engaged in a political marriage then you'd be the best choice.” Jieun shot back, eyes narrowed. “But I found a new groom, one you treat like . I'm taking Minwoo to my company and you won't stop me.”

“I will.” Donghyun gritted his teeth, eyes dangerously sharp. “I played along with your threat all for him, don't forget this.”

“I must say you have a good eye.” Jieun shrugged. “I might have wanted you to fire the lousy secretary who signed a bad contract, used the contract to threaten you into a political marriage or at least drive you crazy, but I'll tear that contract into pieces if you give me Minwoo.”

“No ing way.”

“Your company-”

“Is less important than that man who walked out on us, yes.” Donghyun gave an ugly smirk, taking big strides to corner the lady. Her people watched on warily, as if ready to jump up to her defense any time. “You think a company is so important? I can rebuild this crap in a year. The only reason I fought for it was to keep Minwoo by my side.”

“If Minwoo wants to leave, you can't stop him.” Jieun retorted, voice slightly wavering as if remembering a trauma from before.

“I can.”

“Guess what, he just did. And you didn't even lay a finger on him.”

Donghyun clenched his fists, and Jieun bit her lower lip anxiously.

“Let's talk about this without the crowd.” Jieun managed, eyeing her people. “I play fair. The contract is null, we'll fight for Minwoo on fair ground.”

“He's mine.” The flat reply. “There's nothing fair about stealing something that's mine.”

-

“Are you crying.” A question that lacked the gentle tone it should have.

“I'm not crying.”

“...your eyes were teary earlier.” An uncomfortable shift of weight.

“I'm not crying.”

“...if you say so.” Donghyun shrugged lightly, sighing a little as he sat down on the bench for two.

“Get lost.”

“...this is my-”

“Everything is yours, yes, this bench, this garden, this company, this ing building is yours but if you have that bit of humanity in you then get lost.”

Donghyun pressed his lips together, trying his best not to let something he'd regret slip. Maybe something milder. “...I'm sorry for that.”

“Wow, you can even feel sorry.” Minwoo rolled his eyes, letting his back face his boss despite the blatant disrespect.

“Minwoo, if I explain it all from beginning to end, would you stop being so sulky about that kiss?” Donghyun sighed, staring at the small figure that looked so cuddly. Well...maybe now's not the best time.

“I'm not sulky about a kiss, bastard.” Minwoo turned sharply and glared at Donghyun with his red-rimmed eyes. “You think I'm some teenage girl crying about a first kiss?”

“You look so y like that.”

“Ugh, that's what I hate about you.” Minwoo groaned exasperatedly. “If you like this bench so much, go ahead, I'll take the day off.”

“Minwoo.” Donghyun called, grabbing the younger's wrist. “Just listen, I'll let you go on your day off after you listen.”

Grumbling, Minwoo stomped his way back to his seat and dropped himself ungracefully on it. As much of a drama queen he wished he was, this man was still paying him a monthly salary. “What.”

“Do you remember the contract you signed on my behalf and had this bunch of people coming to ask me to fire you?”

“...” Minwoo frowned. It wasn't like he couldn't remember it since it caused him quite a scare and had to go for lunch with his boss because of it, but it did seem a bit abrupt to bring it up. “What of it?”

“The other party of the contract is that woman's company.” Donghyun sighed. “And then afterwards there was a matchmaking dinner on my schedule, you remember that?”

The day he got kissed.

Minwoo screamed internally at his brain for bringing up the worst connection possible, trying not to let it show. “...yeah.”

“That was with her. With the contract being at our disadvantage, she took it and wanted to play games with me, wanted you out of the company. I had to go for that stupid matchmaking because it was their choice whether or not they wanted to take advantage of the contract or not pick on the loopholes. Political marriages aren't fun, and I'm probably more interesting than all her other possible prospects combined.” Donghyun's words trailed off. “You get the drift?”

“You guys would make a good couple.”

“.” Donghyun cursed softly, turning to the younger man with a slight frown. “Don't say such things casually. Minwoo, I like you. Not her. Not anyone else.”

Minwoo felt his cheeks burning up, the direct and serious approach by his boss so different from the usual jokes made by Donghyun.

No. This is not the time to act like a high school girl.

“To be honest, I couldn't care less about the contract since if I wanted to, I can sell this company off and start a new one right away. But there's no guarantee you'd be there with me, so I didn't want to take the risk.”

“W-what are you talking about?”

“Is it that hard for you to comprehend that I am serious about you?” The soft smile Donghyun sent had a gentleness he hadn't seen before. “It's a lonely fight in this world and I want your support.”

Minwoo felt his breath hitched, the time around him coming to a standstill.

“I know it's difficult for you to view this matter seriously since I've been taking on a rather light attitude when I hit on you, but I'm not doing this for the sake of teasing you.” Donghyun reached for his hand, and the younger didn't retract it swiftly enough. “I admit it was because you gave cute reactions at first, but I started taking comfort in your daily coaxing to sign documents, and when they told me to lose you, I realised I couldn't anymore.”

Minwoo bit the insides of his cheeks and tried not to get persuaded. This man had a way with words, he's the CEO for a reason. Minwoo worked under him and know better than anyone else that he's just an obnoxious, flirtatious, eccentric big fat jerk that-

“It's going to give you a headache, but go home and think about it.” Donghyun brought his hands back to himself and leaned down to stare into Minwoo's confused eyes. “I don't want to toss a heavy confession at you, so I'll just say that I would love to date you.”

Yeah, an uncaring, insensitive bastard of a boss who-

Has very warm hands.

-

“You're back.”

“Still have a few days until my last day.”

“Your verbal notice was not recorded, I'm not accepting your resignation.” Donghyun flinched.

“I know.” Minwoo looked at Donghyun's anxious face, smiling softly. “I can only quit when you let me.”

“...yes.” Donghyun found his clenched fists slowly losing strength. “...you don't mind?”

“The pay is double of what I expected and the office hours are average. I just need to deal with a very temperamental boss who's interested in me while not feel small at all the scornful looks shot at me. Once my boss gets bored of me, I'll be richer than my peers with working experience under a reputable company that can land me into the next job easily. Sounds good.” Minwoo shrugged.

“...if you knew all that, why were you so insistent on quitting?”

“To save my sanity.” Minwoo placed two files neatly on his boss' table, then returning to his spot a safe distance away. “I'm trading my sanity for money here. Appreciate it and sign documents quickly the next time I visit. I'll be outside.”

-

“Minwoo!” Jieun chirped brightly. “Lunch!”

“No, thank you.” Minwoo said tiredly.

“Is Donghyun overworking you? Come work for me! I'll pay you double and give you half the job!” Jieun grinned brightly.

“And get four times the looks of disdain, no, thank you.”

“You're so funny!” Jieun laughed.

“That was not a joke.”

“Well then, work on your mathematics. Our company's manpower is slightly less than here, you won't get four times more looks of disdain no matter how you go about it.” Jieun grinned, eyes not as bright as her smile. “It's why I don't have friends. Real friends get chased away by the pressure, fake friends take advantage of me.”

“ to be you. You get breakfast, lunch and dinner served with a silver spoon to you without lifting a finger, chauffeured around in a brand new car and people bow to you with every step you take.” Minwoo shrugged.

“You sound so down.” Jieun pouted. “It's that Kim Donghyun's fault, isn't it?!”

“I'm trying to embrace a new definition of sanity.”

“Min-” Donghyun peeked his head out of his office, face scrunching up at the sight of Jieun.

Minwoo sighed, preparing himself for a headache.

“...Minwoo, what's my schedule?”

The said secretary blinked, turning sharply to his boss before hurrying to check the schedule. “You're clear before lunch, a meeting at 3pm with the R&D department in recent developments and a conference call with affiliates at 5pm.”

“Thanks.” Donghyun thanked simply, eyes staring at Jieun but pressing his lips together tightly. “Lunch with me, Minwoo.”

“I'm good.”

“Please.”

Jieun waved frantically as if trying to say she was the one who offered first and hence should be given priority, her lips parted ready to voice that protest when Minwoo closed his eyes.

“Alright.”

-

After chasing a nagging Jieun away, Minwoo had some time to himself to regret his choice.

So he really traded his sanity away afterall.

He watched with dread as the minute hand kept inching closer to his lunch hour, wondering what sort of excuses he should come up with to say that he made a really bad choice and needs to go back on his word because there's no way he'll eat lunch with Kim Donghyun.

“Minwoo.”

Tensing, the said secretary raised his head to acknowledge the other, ready to run his mouth with whatever excuse his mouth thinks is acceptable.

“Are you okay?” Donghyun frowned ever so slightly, leaning lower to match the seated man's height. “If you're unwell, we can lunch in.”

“...” Minwoo blinked, staring back at Donghyun's gentle eyes.

“You wait here, I'll go get us food.”

“...I-”

Minwoo widened his eyes at his own hand that grabbed onto Donghyun's shirt around the waist area, then hurriedly withdrawing his hand.

“...yes?” Donghyun looked quizzically back, but had a small smile forming when he looked at the small crease on his shirt.

“I'm fine.” Minwoo managed. “Just don't bring me to some 4-star restaurant.”

-

So apparently, Donghyun's bad at moderation.

Minwoo chewed the food in his mouth with a vengeance glaring at the man who was laughing maniacally at his face. What’s so funny about his face? Maybe he should really audition for some idol program or something. He’s older than the kids these days but he could just be a leader and make the group of teenagers his minions.

“Well, it’s not a 4-star restaurant…” Donghyun managed between fits of laughter.

“I’m not sure about you, Mr Kim. But I’ve had my fair share of fast food in my life.” Minwoo gritted his teeth and chomped down on some more fries. “Is it too much to ask for a simple restaurant that has rice, side dishes and a proper main dish?”

“Okay, okay.” Donghyun raised his arms as if in defeat, but wide grin as he finished his burger too bright for a loss. “The next time we eat together I’ll let you choose.”

“You’re getting ahead of yourself here.” Minwoo frowned, sipping onto the carbonated drink. He should have traded it in for something more expensive but that’s too childish…and useless. “I didn’t say I’d eat with you again.”

“You didn’t.” Donghyun shrugged. “But you also didn’t say you wouldn’t.”

“I would n-”

Donghyun leaned over, grabbing the tie Minwoo wore to pull the other towards him. He tilted his head just in time to crash both their lips together out in the public where little kids got their Happy Meals.

“Mommy!”

“.” Donghyun cursed, glaring at Minwoo who glared back. “Why would you bite me? That’s such bad manners.”

The younger man fixed his tie and tried to ignore the stares from all around, all the pent up annoyance reaching his head once more. What’s wrong with this man?

“I’m stupid, okay?” Minwoo yelled. “Stupid for secretly thinking something could work out. What do I know? You’re just a rich man who knows nothing about something called someone else’s feelings. My sanity’s too precious to be ruined by you, and I’ll pay whatever needs to be paid because I won’t be turning up for work tomorrow! I-”

Collective gasps couldn’t express the shock Minwoo had watching icky cola drip from his work attire.

All he knew was that the next moment, a jacket was thrown over his head and he was whisked away in a very agitated embrace.

-

“I won’t tell you what to feel for me, I told you that’s for you to think about.” Donghyun stared down at the man hidden by his jacket, both of them standing in the middle of a floor fountain.

Pictures were taken and videos were still running as the crowd watched two man stand drenched in the floor fountain while kids ran around them.

Donghyun grabbed the jacket and pulled it closer towards him, forcing Minwoo to glare up at the other. “You-”

“Listen.” Donghyun cut in. “Whether you like me or not is up to you. But I won’t let you cave in towards the public’s unnecessary expectations of you.”

“If you bit me because you didn’t like that kiss, I’d back off. But if you bit me because you didn’t want to be perceived gay, then I won’t. We both know you’re better than this. You came into my building demanding for a job I refused you, you’re not the sort to crumble under their damned expectations. I know what someone else’s feelings mean, but right now, those feelings you have are imposed on you.”

Minwoo laughed humourlessly, rolling his eyes. “What the hell are you talking-”

“I would take this jacket off your head if you could look at me proudly knowing there are plenty of pictures and videos being taken right now, because I’d show my face and let them post all about this gay man and then finding out I’m the boss of the company they buy products from.” Donghyun smirked, slowly loosening the grip of the jacket from him so his face was in full view. “Listen carefully, Minwoo.”

Minwoo cursed softly, holding the jacket around him tightly as he saw the crowd Donghyun promised.

The pressure of the societal norms.

He hadn’t had the time to think so far because he had enough on his plate with a temperamental boss being cold and hot as and when he liked it. He said it earlier, that he had secretly considered the confession, that he might not find a relationship with his boss as daunting as it should be. It’s not like he’s going to lose a flesh or anything dating a man for a short while knowing the first kiss they had did something to him subconsciously, but Donghyun brought to light something he hadn’t thought of.

Was he okay with all these wary and cautious looks from people outside the office? Not looking at him because he’s backed up by a boss, but because he’s a human dating another man. Was he going to live life under the pressure of all these people just like in the office, as if it’s not enough to drive him off the edge?

“I, Kim Donghyun, like you so much whether you’re crying or rolling your eyes. I’ve only seen you smile thrice ever since I met you, and only once towards me. Maybe that’s okay because you don’t know how badly my heart comes to a stop seeing it, but I’d die five thousand times if I could see it sent my way.” Donghyun spoke loudly, ignoring the chatter.

Minwoo shut his eyes tightly, not able to meet Donghyun’s fixed gaze on him.

“I like you even if you’re a man. You have the prettiest lips I’ve seen so it’s your fault every time I kiss you, you’re short but that makes you cute so it’s all good. You don’t have to feel too bad about the size of your junior because if you date me, I’d be on top.”

The covered figure shivered slightly, and the kids were quickly yelled at to return to their parents as Donghyun continued making his speech more rated. The fountains stopped for a short while, and made the two left in the middle of the space more apparent.

“I want to date you, you and it will be nice if we could make babies like these kids running away from us but I’m good if it’s just you too. I’m bi but I’ll turn ing gay for you.”

“So I’m asking you, Minwoo. I love you. What about you?”

The jacket slipped off the figure, revealing Minwoo who was laughing so badly he teared. “What the hell are you talking about?”

“ the public, if you’re game for this, I’ll fight for you.”

He was too young to worry his pretty little head about the consequences of his decisions. Minwoo jumped into Donghyun’s inviting arms and kissed the grinning man as the water from the floor fountain shot up once more.

-

“Kim Donghyun, it's not funny.” Minwoo said with a deadpanned look. “I've been at this for 10 minutes, just sign it and get it over with.”

“Really? I want to look at you for a bit longer though.” Donghyun grinned, picking and dropping the pen, purposefully teasing his secretary.

“Spare me the pain. Every glance of yours pricks my skin.” Minwoo winced, patting his cheeks as if meaning what he said. “Ah, there goes my baby skin.”

“Really? I can kiss it to make it better though.” Donghyun grinned, extending his arms as an invitation. “Your personal chair is awaiting your arrival.”

“My royal is too expensive for your cheap offer.”

Donghyun shrugged, withdrawing his arms when Minwoo didn't look like he was going to obediently sit on his lap. “Then give me another 10 minutes to appreciate the beauty of your face.”

“You're the worst.”

“Aren't you guys dating?” Jieun raised an eyebrow, completely amused by the spectacle she was granted. “I mean, Minwoo, if you went all the way to be this man's boyfriend, shouldn't your tone be a bit cuter?”

“I might have found him acceptable as a human being, but that doesn't mean I accept him as my boss.” Minwoo shot almost immediately, then tapping his fingers impatiently. “Sign it...”

“Your personality is ing y so don't let it change. It makes your docility after office hours a lot cuter too.” Donghyun smirked, resting his head on both his palms while staring at Minwoo. “Kiss me.”

“You wish.”

The two exchanged glances, and a smile played on Minwoo’s lips before it spread into a grin.

“Ah.” Donghyun said, reaching for the younger’s hand. “There’s that heart-stopping smile again.”

“I’ll give you a heart attack if you sign that right now.” Minwoo hurriedly pulled a straight face, finding his chance. He watched the nimble fingers sign the documents he had been coaxing the other to sign, then grinning widely when it’s done.

“Jieun, there’s a cockroach at your feet.”

“AHHHH- no, there’s none.”

“Oops, my bad.”

Donghyun watched with a dazed expression as the two left his office, the kitten swaying its tail arrogantly. He his lips, almost feeling the sudden contact once more.

“Ah, I can’t wait till the day ends.” Donghyun chuckled softly. “I don’t think I would hate a cardiac arrest.”

-

11,770 words to make up for my absence XD
This was so long lol. The confession scene is a bit confusing, but if you can stomach the fact that Minwoo's already attracted to Donghyun but is in denial then it's all good /bricked/
I wanted it to be hotter you know, like it's a boss and an employee, all the plot devices for a really hot fic but I so...sorry lol.

IDEA FROM DreamOfKpop:
"Hmm for a scenario maybe something between an employee and a boss? :o"
and goszkasmall:
"i think ill be in heaven if u will write some office dongwoo fic"

Yeah guys, this was written over like a month or so you know, I don't expect it to be coherent so I'm sorry I ruined this @_@

Love to the 43 subscribers and 2 commenters!

P.S.
The title is The To Do List.
To be honest I wanted to make a list and it goes:
- Lunch with him
-
- Coax him into dinner
- Drive him to my house
- Him
 
Get it, get it? :3 Okay, I bet you guys are innocent, so you won't get it /bricked/