Reignite

Just a Child

------------------------------ Reignite
Donghyun and Minwoo as ex-lovers
Universe 15
warning(s): none.

A well-dressed man in his late twenties gave a nod as a greeting to the bartender he walked up to. The said bartender then gave a welcoming smile, gesturing at a seat as if inviting.

“The usual?”

“Yes, please.” A quiet voice replied.

Unlike the noisy and crowded bars the 21st century teens seem to prefer, Donghyun had been paying this cosy jazz bar frequent visits since he was legal.

A laid-back melody to accompany his mellowed feelings. A rhythm that wasn't too hurried; one he could breathe easy to it.

He watched the bartender--owner concoct his usual drink, then having a sudden suggestion. Donghyun raised his hand, and the bartender paused in his motion, waiting.

Everything was slow-paced here.

“Could you maybe up the alcohol content, please?” Donghyun asked politely, smiling gratefully as the other cracked one himself.

“I would appreciate it if you aren't always so formal.” The standing man nodded. “I've seen you for years, Donghyun-ssi.”

“I refuse to compromise on my manners.” Donghyun gave a soft chuckle, a nod as he thanked the other for the completed drink.

“You must be feeling troubled tonight.”

“Was it the request?” Donghyun sipped on his drink, settling it down on the coaster offered. “Did that give me away?”

“Yes, you don't usually ask for more alcohol.”

Donghyun let a sigh escape his parted lips, then straightening his posture once more. “A bad day. Work has been stressful.”

“You know what they say.” The bartender shrugged lightly. “All a workaholic need is love.”

Donghyun paused. The bartender did not mind his sudden change in expression too much, instead turning his attention back to cleaning wine glasses.

Love.

The idea had been so foreign ever since his last relationship.

He had buried himself in works to further his career, jaded by how things ended for them.

“Forgive me, but, do you both not keep in contact?” The other man carefully inquired after leaving Donghyun to a moment for himself.

“...we were young and reckless.” Donghyun smiled, a wave of nostalgia overwhelming him. “The fire between us was like the fireworks display on Independence Day. Beautiful, passionate, but short-lived.”

“Really?” The man asked, but his tone made it sound more like a rhetorical question. “You were the same, then and now.”

Donghyun let his eyes widen as the words sank in. This bartender had seen them since they were young, surely he couldn’t say that Donghyun was the same man as he was then.

“We used to make this place so rowdy and get so drunk.” Donghyun frowned subtly.

“You both even demanded we play pop songs here.”

“And you say I was the same man?” A puzzled look, one that was unnatural on the usually composed features.

“He brought that side out of you.” The man said, giving what seemed like a knowing smile. “He made you comfortable to be you.”

Leaving some food for thought, the bartender shifted away to greet a new customer as the bells that hung on the entrance door chimed.

Donghyun swirled his glass and watched the content made rounds as if a metaphor for his current state of mind. He felt his heartbeat getting irregular, closing his eyes and letting his ears concentrate on the music.

Breathe.

The late night cuddles with incoherent mumbles as they leaned their heads together.

Breathe.

The smell of alcohol against his lips as they crash in passionate fervour.

Breathe.

The way he laughed with a twinkle in his eyes as he called out-

“Donghyun-hyung?”

Donghyun opened his eyes and stared straight at the rows of wine bottles, gaze turning to the bartender who looked surprised. Was it not a hallucination?

He slowly turned his head, watching the other break out into a smile.

“Can’t believe you still come here.” He laughed. “Is this seat taken?”

“No.” Donghyun managed, staring dazedly at the man before him.

The bartender recovered from his shock and greeted the newcomer, giving Donghyun a bit more time to think. “Welcome, Minwoo-ssi. What can I get you?”

“What he’s having.” Minwoo smiled brilliantly, thanking the bartender in advance.

Minwoo was dressed warmly, an overcoat with a red knitted scarf. His features were sharper than Donghyun remembered them to be, shedding the baby fats he used to have. Yet, his laughter, his smiles, they haven’t changed one bit.

All threatening to take his breath away, one time too many.

“It’s been so long.” Minwoo sighed softly, loosening the scarf around his neck. “This place is still as relaxing as it was.”

“Thank you.” The bartender smiled. “You’re as I remembered you to be, too.”

“I’m sorry I didn’t visit more often. I got really busy.”

Donghyun flinched at those words, knowing that was a lie. Minwoo started coming to the bar only because Donghyun introduced him to it, and when they broke up, the younger had no attachments to the place to visit anymore.

Then why is he here today?

“It’s fine. I must say your visit today surprised me.”

“I was passing by.” Minwoo shrugged. “Wanted to have a drink and I thought why not?”

“Here’s your drink, Minwoo-ssi. I apologise but I must take my leave.” The bartender managed an apologetic smile, slowly retreating. “I just remembered I have some errands to run, so could I maybe leave the both of you to tend to my bar?”

“Well, I’d be here for another thirty minutes or so at least.” Minwoo nodded with a smile of his own. “Don’t worry about the place.”

Another lie. The bartender was trying to leave them two to be alone.

Donghyun frowned, hearing the bells chimed once more to signal that the bartender has left.

“How have you been?” Minwoo started, and Donghyun stared at his drink a bit too intently. “Busy?”

“Pretty.” Donghyun nodded distractedly. “…pretty busy.”

“The drink’s pretty strong.”

“Strong.” Donghyun nodded once more. “…pretty strong.”

“You’re being pretty rude.”

“Rude.” Donghyun paused, coughing when he registered the conversation they just exchanged. “I’m sorry.”

“Look at me when I’m speaking to you.” Minwoo said quietly, soft hand pressed against Donghyun’s cheek. He guided the older man’s face to turn to him, smiling when Donghyun’s eyes averted his own. “It’s been five years.”

Donghyun nodded slightly, slowly looking at the other’s face.

His lips.

The breaths they shared.

His nose.

The light tickle of his exhalations.

His eyes.

Staring straight back at him.

Donghyun raised his own hand and held it over Minwoo’s, watching those eyes fix themselves on him.

Those that cried.

They fought and got physical, leaving not only scars on their hearts but bruises that continued to hurt. Different opinions, different ideals, and it didn’t seem worth it to hold onto the shredded bits of their relationship any longer.

Donghyun felt his heart pump, the music drown out. Minwoo stood and leaned close, other hand going around Donghyun’s neck. They watched each other, and themselves that existed in the other’s eyes.

Donghyun saw his confused expression reflect from Minwoo’s determined eyes.

The intoxicating smell from his alcohol-laced lips, each breath of air more addicting. Donghyun tilted his head to a side and let Minwoo sit on his lap, his own arms supporting the younger’s weight. Their lips met gently, a familiar taste as they pressed closer.

He let his hand rest on the curve of Minwoo’s waist, sliding his tongue between the younger’s parted lips. Slow and complementary was the passion. Everytime he pushed against the younger’s tongue, the younger reciprocated with a soft moan. Everytime he was pushed back, he retaliates.

Donghyun learns to match the soft melody playing in the background, almost finding it a pity when Minwoo pulled away.

“I missed you.” Minwoo said quietly, rearranging a few stray locks of Donghyun’s hair. “I passed by and thought of you.”

Donghyun s his arms around the younger’s waist tighter.

The years apart have changed them both.

Minwoo learnt to compromise with Donghyun’s slow. Donghyun learnt to give in to Minwoo’s selfishness.

“I missed you too.”

A spark.

One that reignites the dormant fire.

This time it will burn; burn the slow fire of a fireplace.

-

Hope you guys enjoyed it :DD!
So much thanks to all 44 subscribers and 4 commenters!
HAHA, all the fours XD

The writing style is a bit similar to Chapter 7 - LOVE;
Maybe you guys can go revisit that and imagine that was after this XD
It had a fire imagery too but uhhh I used a candle then ;;