Half a world away

Just a Child

------------------------------ Half a world away
Donghyun and Minwoo as a couple on honeymoon
Universe 3
warning(s): inaccurate knowledge of Paris (never been there lolz), implied , sudden angst.


Minwoo! Remember to have a lot of fun there! I packed some y underwear for you too, so make sure that when the night comes-

“Oh my God, mom!” Minwoo squeaked into his phone, looking around to ensure that the only other person who came with him was out of hearing range. “What were you thinking!”

Honey, it's your honeymoon! You can try to lie to me, but I've been young once too.

“That's too much information, thanks.” Minwoo hissed, still wary of his surroundings. He finally located the person he was looking for, sighing in relief when he realised their distance. “Is there anything else?”

Hm, stick close to Donghyun! You are allowed to act a bit spoilt on your honeymoon, remember that.“ Minwoo heard his mother giggle, then humming slightly as if trying to remember what she wanted to say. “Oh, bring back some souvenirs and keep safe!

“Mm, you too! Love you, mom. Tell dad not to worry and sis that I'd bring back a limited edition bag if she waits patiently.” Minwoo smiled softly as he said his goodbye, hanging up the phone. Two arms wrapped around him from behind, and he sighed quietly, leaning back to enjoy the support. “Are they done checking everything?”

“Yep, we're free to go. What did your mother say?” A quiet voice amongst the noise, and Minwoo felt a slight shiver down his spine.

Minwoo contemplated telling, blushing when he remembered the conversation. “N-Nothing.”

Donghyun smiled at Minwoo's obvious avoidance, slowly letting go of the younger's waist. He then turned the younger, poking the soft cheeks. “Where do you want to go first?”

“Place our luggage?” Minwoo closed his eyes, leaning in against Donghyun's warm palms. The older caressed his cheeks gently, leaning in for a quick kiss. It felt a bit lacking, but Paris was waiting.

“Let's go.”

-

“Did you envision this?” Donghyun asked, smiling as Minwoo leaned close against him, the two of them enjoying the night scene of Paris with an after-dinner stroll.

Minwoo didn't quite understand what Donghyun meant, but the atmosphere was as if he got a bit tipsy. Did his answer really matter? “Maybe.”

“Really?” Donghyun chuckled, a possessive arm tightening around his lover's waist. “Growing up together, I suddenly turning gay, asking your parents for your hand in marriage, us here in Paris?”

“You didn't suddenly turn gay. You always had the hots for me.” Minwoo grinned, loosening himself from Donghyun's hold and then walking a few steps before the older man. Donghyun swore there was a hint of arrogance in Minwoo's stride, but the younger was right. Life with him was now like second nature that he couldn't imagine denying himself of this relationship. He watched as Minwoo skip around for a bit, eventually settling himself in the middle of a bridge, watching the river below him flow.

And maybe it's because he was watching from such a distance that the scenery looked so beautiful with Minwoo right in the middle of it. The clear night sky, a vibrant city, countless of foreigners weaving in and out of the crowd between them. Donghyun fixed his gaze on his lover, watching the younger take in a deep breath and then letting a smile paint his pretty face brighter.

Then, as if finally realising the empty space beside him, he turned to the exact spot he knew he left the older at and smiled. Donghyun chuckled, taking the cue to fill that void - now, his rightful place.

Some say that Paris is the city of love, but currently, any place would have the same effect. Because they were stranded in a foreign land with only each other, the dependence grew stronger, and-

“How lucky I am to have you.”

They realise with even more intensity, how fortunate they are to have each other.

-

Minwoo arched his back sharply, biting his lower lip. His body was throbbing, but Donghyun's every move was gentle. He remembered hiding his face behind a pillow, only to have that tugged away, Donghyun leaning lower with this small smile that looked so conceited to Minwoo. He remembered blushing, and the older leaving light kisses all around him, trying to help him ease up.

Their limbs entangled gradually, and their love making was slow. Every second seemed precious to the older and it was as if he didn't care how embarrassed that made Minwoo feel. The small lamp by their hotel bed casted an orange glow on both their bodies, and Minwoo wished he could reach over to let darkness engulf them. His writhing self paled in comparison to his calm lover, but Donghyun insisted on keeping the pillow away from Minwoo's flushed face.

With a gentle rhythm, the two reached their peak without haste. The bed was messy, but that was all right. Minwoo then wrapped the heavy blanket around him, heading to the balcony of the hotel room. Unlike a few hours before, the scene before him was almost pitch dark except for the street lights. There was almost nothing to see, but the darkness was comfortable for him. Cool wind blew past his form, and Paris was asleep.

A hand reached from behind him to offer a cup of hot chocolate, and Minwoo smiled softly, thanking the older. Donghyun had slipped on a pair of boxers, cuddling the puffed-up version of his lover and almost wanting to peel away the blanket. They wordlessly watched the darkness before them, Minwoo sipping a bit of the hot chocolate and then offering it back to the older.

Donghyun put it away after a sip, then returning to holding the younger's figure through the offensive blanket. The pair of jet-lagged lovers stayed unmoving in silence, but then the older lost the game, lost his resolve, nuzzling against Minwoo's neck.

Light kisses replaced the soft touches, and Minwoo felt the fire of passion reignited. He turned around, ignoring the fact that the blanket was falling off his shoulders in favour of hugging the older man's neck. Minwoo pulled Donghyun closer, the fervour almost affecting the older, but Donghyun maintained himself.

A small pout. Donghyun was boring. The between them made sure that Donghyun always made the more logical decisions and never had that spontaneity in him, especially in situations like these.

But Donghyun had in mind a romantic honeymoon, not one with a burning passion. An exciting life could wait till when they were back in Korea, because lust could blind them, and right now, Donghyun wanted to look at Minwoo with unclouded eyes. The fact that they chose each other to spend the rest of their life with, even though they already spent their childhood together.

Minwoo whined softly against the kisses, but took Donghyun's lead. The two were lost in their love, and the younger learned to find joy in boring.

“What are you laughing about?” Donghyun whispered, kissing the smile Minwoo wore.

“Nothing.” Minwoo sang, leaving Donghyun to carry the blanket as he wrapped himself close to the older.

-

Fitting of a romantic escapade, the two travelled around the city as much as they could. Minwoo left the communication problem to Donghyun, and taking his mother's advice, he indulged in ordering Donghyun to do silly stuff like piggyback him and feed him.

Whether he found it cute or plain amusing, Donghyun tried his best to pamper the younger. It wasn't like he disliked it either, since whiny Minwoo was cuter than it sounds.

By the time their honeymoon came to an end, Minwoo was left in high spirits, all ready to head home with an extra luggage of gifts.

“I'm sorry, but your flight is being postponed because of an earthquake in Korea.” The person at the counter informed, halfway through checking in.

Donghyun felt a nudge, then turning to the younger.

“What is she saying?” Minwoo whispered.

Donghyun laughed at Minwoo's language abilities, straightening himself when the person looked confused. He wasn't a lot better, but he could definitely hear something about flight and Korea. “Sorry, again?”

“Okay. Your flight is delayed. There was an earthquake two hours ago and slight tremors were felt at the airport, hence all outgoing flights towards Korea are delayed. When the situation stabilises, you'll be able to board the plane.” The counter tried speaking slowly, yet trying her best not to compromise on the information.

“Earthquake?” Donghyun frowned, and watched the lady nod back. “Okay, thank you.”

“What's that?” Minwoo nudged the older man, watching him look around for something. They had checked in their luggage and were now walking hands free, the younger man following Donghyun's lead as he moved around seemingly aimlessly. “Kim Donghyun!”

“Sorry, she said something about an earthquake so I wanted to see the news.” Donghyun apologised, an arm now wrapped around Minwoo. The younger man widened his eyes in surprise, whipping out his phone instead.

Furiously tapping numbers and then dialling, Minwoo chewed on his lower lip impatiently while the older man dragged him around for some television that showed the news.

“An earthquake of magnitude 6.5 has rocked the southern parts of South Korea two hours ago, and cities like Busan and Changwon have suffered casualties totalling up to a current number of 673. 238 have been reported dead, and 307 with major injuries. Light tremors have been reported 20 minutes ago, and the death toll is reportedly increasing. Please stay with us for more updates on this news. Next up...”

“Donghyun-hyung...” A soft call of his name, and Donghyun tore his eyes off the television. The English was difficult to catch, but the numbers flashing on the screen with a map of their country enough to tell the story. “I can't call my parents...”

Donghyun felt his heart skip a beat, himself reaching for his phone to dial back home.

Hello?

“Mom! You're safe?” Donghyun asked hurriedly, watching Minwoo turn to him quickly. “How about Minwoo's parents?”

Uh...

“Mom?” Donghyun frowned, the younger man before him visibly losing confidence. Minwoo turned away and walked towards another area, hoping it was the reception that caused him to be unable to contact his family. “Mom, what's wrong?”

Honestly, we just saw the news. We actually took the same plane to Paris with you guys because your sister wanted to stalk you both.” Donghyun heard his mother speak and his said sister squeaking in embarrassment. “I'll call our neighbours and try to find out about the situation. I'll call you again.

Donghyun wondered if it was the right time to sigh in relief. His family was incredulous, but they were safe.

“Where are you right now?”

Duty-free shop. Your father wants to look at alcohol. I'll check on it now, but keep Minwoo company.

And he did. He did.

He went to the younger who looked so frightened, biting down hard on his lower lip and for a few times, opened his mouth but quickly close it again. He saw the hasty fingers and the eyes that welled up with tears, he saw the trembling figure and the laboured breathing.

Donghyun knew he didn't have the answer Minwoo wanted and that pained him so much. He knew the question lingering upon the tip of Minwoo's tongue and all he could offer was avoidance. He didn't dare say that everything would be okay, he didn't dare make empty promises that weren't within his control.

His phone vibrated, and Donghyun took the call, eyes not leaving his lover.

“Yes?”

I-I don't know...I c-can't get through to a-anyone-

Donghyun winced, his mother's tone telling him that they all feared the worst.

“Thanks.” The older man said simply, and he saw how his words made the younger man flinch.

So Minwoo hugged his phone after sending tens of messages back home, at least five to each of his parents and at least ten to his sister who was more responsive. He crumbled to the floor and didn't care how other tourists saw him, and what made him even more afraid-

And Donghyun knew, that by not doing a thing, he was confirming Minwoo's fears. But he watched his hands and didn't know how he should comfort the younger.

It was, too, his loss.

He had only recently gained two more parent figures, and-

“I'm sorry.” Donghyun dropped to his knees, hands finally finding the younger. He held Minwoo tightly, arms his back as if trying to soothe the tornado of emotions inside the younger.

Why are you sorry?

Minwoo pressed himself against Donghyun's chest, hands holding the older man's arms in place as if securing them. The phone he was holding was now between his hand and Donghyun's arm, and two hearts both prayed for it to ring.

So earnestly, so desperately.

I couldn't do what I promised you.

And the older man was crying. He didn't need to see to know it, the rhythm of Donghyun's heartbeat against his ears so agitated. It was like telling him to stop denying reality, and it was harsh, it was cruel. It wasn't the same heartbeat as when the older confessed his love, and Minwoo almost felt betrayed.

But because Donghyun couldn't bring himself to lie to Minwoo and feed him lies that the heartbeat also calmed him a bit. As if urging him to let it out, Minwoo bawled so painfully, dependent on the older man's sharp breaths to teach him the same.

What did you promise?

Their eyes were red, their tears dried up. Neither found the strength to make themselves more presentable, but Donghyun tried to be strong. He picked the younger up from the floor as he rose, and he felt Minwoo's wobbly knees.

Minwoo walked so aimlessly, eyes fixed on Donghyun's shoes and Donghyun wasn't sure if he knew where he was going either. The lights in the airport were blinding him and the crowd was suffocating him. He could only imagine how much worse it was for his lover.

That I'd be your support, in good times and in bad. I'm sorry I couldn't find the right words, I'm-

Minwoo clung closer, and Donghyun hated it. What was meant to be a fond memory in time to come, their once-in-a-lifetime honeymoon, has now been ruined by the most ruthless hands of fate.

The only thing he could do in this silence was probably the most useless thing right now. To hold Minwoo tighter, to take away the pain, to be there physically.

And Donghyun loathed himself so.

But you are. You are right here.

And you're the only one I have left.


-

This is so heavily formatted I hope everything comes out right. Well, I only use italics, so well.
(I honestly could have written more fluff at the front but it felt too cruel to build it all up just to crash 'em down)

IDEA FROM beyond_thisworld:
"how about a scenario where Donghyun comforts Minwoo after a disaster happens?"
Yeah, you know I would love to credit you up there, but that'd spoil the whole story :(. Sorry :/

I'm not gonna post chronologically, aka the way you guys commented!
I'll write the one that inspires me the most, since my fingers write the story, not me.
I'll try to write every scenario you guys suggested because you guys are such geniuses and I love every idea thrown my way <3
(If you guys have such good ideas then write D< So I have something to read too ;~~~;)

And if you have any more universes you want to see, keep commenting~~ <3
Much love to the 11 subscribers and the 6 commenters <3