Commitment

Just a Child

------------------------------ Commitment
Donghyun and Minwoo as a pair of friends-turned-lovers-but-kinda-still-friends lovers
(could be read with Universe 6 (Just Another Day) too) Universe 11
warning(s): vulgar language, implied , mature theme.

Heavy thoughts weigh down Donghyun's mind. Maybe this was a reason he always avoided commitment.

“You know-”

“What?” Came the sweet voice.

. What? Sweet voice?

“I'm going crazy.” Donghyun cursed under his breath.

“What?” The other repeated his question.

“What..what did you think of the movie last night?” Donghyun chewed on his lower lip nervously.

“What the hell? Kim Donghyun, you're so random.” The other person laughed, tone so bright and cute and- . “The movie was okay, but the proposal was disgusting like hell. What flowers and serenade, it was giving me goosebumps. Why did you even end up choosing a romcom? Don't we always watch action?”

“...the review was good, Minwoo.”

“Yeah, by a bunch of couples who don't know better.”

The back view of his boyfriend cooking breakfast; his boyfriend in a white dress shirt with buttons haphazardly done and shirt size tailored to Donghyun's shoulders; the fact there was nothing else beneath that almost offensive piece of cloth - they were all making his thoughts jumbled up.

Maybe it's the lust that continued haunting since last night's .

The jewellery shop he past by last week seems a little more welcoming already.

“Breakfast's done.”

Minwoo picked out his underwear and skinny jeans from the mess of clothes in the bedroom and eased into them. He pointed at Donghyun's shirt after a brief silence as if thinking of something. “Taking this with me.”

“You're leaving?” Donghyun said as naturally as he could, and tried to fake disinterest.

“Yeah, got some chores to do at home.” Minwoo shrugged, slipping his arms into the coat he came in and picked up his own shirt. Carelessly throwing it into a paper bag he was bringing home with him, he gave Donghyun a slight wave. “Bye.”

“Wait.” Donghyun blinked, the both of them staring at each other with the older man's sudden word. “...nevermind.”

“Say it.” Minwoo urged, eyes twinkling, “Say it. You have oddly been hesitating with your words since earlier.”

Donghyun shrugged Minwoo off, walking the younger to the door as if to hurry and chase the other out. No more dealing with this man who suddenly had his curiousity piked.

“Tell me~!” Minwoo whined slightly, tugging Donghyun's arm.

The subtle frown, hesitant hands and worried eyes. Minwoo tried to pry deeper to find out why his usually loud and careless boyfriend suddenly got so self-conscious.

A glimpse of the usual Donghyun caused arms to be wrapped around Minwoo's smaller figure, the two bodies brought closer. Donghyun leaned to a side and tilted Minwoo's face upwards, roughly bringing their lips to meet in a hasty kiss.

Donghyun pushed closer, tongue sliding between the younger's lips. He felt thin arms hug him back, grip gentle compared to the fight for dominance their tongues was having. The older then retracted his tongue and nibbled on Minwoo's lips, hands caressing the younger's waist as a temporary break before their fight resumed.

Donghyun only pulled away after a long minute when Minwoo's fingers pressed onto his back, a signal that he needed air.

“What was that?” Minwoo asked, his breathless state leaving a light pink stain on his cheeks.

“...just a goodbye kiss.”

“Woah!” Minwoo exclaimed, change of mood so sudden Donghyun slightly winced. “What sappy drama did you watch this time? I didn't know Kim Donghyun was such a romanticist!”

“Shut up and leave.” Donghyun rolled his eyes, hurriedly pushing his boyfriend out the door and locking it.

Hell, why the did he do something so embarrassing?

It was a minute later, and Donghyun was sure Minwoo wasn't the sort to stay standing outside his door, that his phone vibrated with an incoming text.

If it wasn't “open the door”, then Donghyun was pretty sure he doesn't really want to know what the younger man could have texted.

But curiousity got the better of him.

“Hey, romanticist. Are you going to wear a maid outfit and welcome me home the next time I visit?”

“I'm starting to regret this...”

-

Minwoo looked amusedly at the text sent his way.

“ you.”

He watched the couples on the street lean close to each other on a cold winter day like today. Shivering slightly as his own outfit proved too thin for the temperature, he quickly typed a reply back.

The street seemed a little too wide for him to hog all for himself. Minwoo shook that thought off his head, wondering if Donghyun's weird behaviour was starting to influence him too.

-

“That's your job.”

“...damn right it is.” Donghyun cursed. “This guy is getting way ahead of himself.”

Throwing his phone carelessly onto the dining table as he seated himself before the meal Minwoo prepared, wondering what so-very-important chores the younger had that he would leave Donghyun to eat alone. Surely those things could wait after they share a nice meal talking and maybe feeding each other- damn.

This isn't right.

Something's odd with him.

He probably needs a doctor because these symptoms are scaring the hell out of him.

-

“Tomorrow's the third year we're together...” Minwoo said with a thoughtful expression. “Should I bake a cake?”

“...if you want.” Donghyun shrugged, enjoying the light scent of Minwoo's hair as the younger leaned against his shoulder on the cosy couch before his television.

Another movie night.

“...wait, what?” Minwoo jerked backwards, staring at Donghyun who didn't bother to face him. “If I want?”

“Yeah, you're the one baking if you do it, doesn't matter to me.” Donghyun yawned. “This is a bad choice.”

“There's not many good movies these days, make do with it.” Minwoo shot back. “And I meant, if I bake a cake, we're celebrating our anniversary, you know?”

“...go ahead??” Donghyun frowned, wondering what's so wrong with what he said. “Shut up, I'm trying to understand what little plot this damn movie has.”

“Don't you always go 'eww! no!' when I talk about anniversaries? You don't even want to celebrate your own birthday!” Minwoo pursed his lips, tugging onto Donghyun's arms while staring at the man who suddenly tensed. “This year you just go, 'well I don't care' and you expect me to think there's nothing wrong with you?”

“...yeah, well, it's been three years of me saying no so if you're so insistent I don't...even care anymore?” Donghyun tried stating, but it unfortunately came out like a question. “Shall we end this movie and get to bed?”

“And will it be or third year anniversary ?” Minwoo tested, slightly smirking at Donghyun's behaviour.

“ you.”

“That's your job, honey.”

-

“It's been three years, darling.” Minwoo sang, figure hugging Donghyun close.

The heavy curtains in Donghyun's room managed to shelter them from the harsh morning light, giving them the leisure to enjoy a night-like morning. Donghyun did like his things black, so his curtains, bedsheets, wardrobe and almost everything was an interior-terror. No sense of style, just monochrome.

Donghyun shifted slightly to hold the other, finger ghosting over the younger's arms for the heck of it.

Minwoo dug his chin into Donghyun's shoulder, opening his mouth as if to dig deeper. “Can't believe we didn't find anyone else. You think we'll find someone before next year?”

Donghyun blinked away his fatigue, a yelp from Minwoo breaking him out from his trance.

“Why the hell did you grab me so ing tight for?” Minwoo cursed, examining his wrist in the minimal light. “Now explain, you idiot! Any tighter and it would have been dislocated!”

“Stop being a drama queen.” Donghyun said distractedly. “...have you been on a lookout for someone else?”

“Of course, you think our relationship could last?” Minwoo laughed, wrapping himself around Donghyun once more. “How about you? Can't find anyone as cute as me, can you?”

“And you can't find someone hotter than me.”

“Excuse you.” Minwoo narrowed his eyes, then smiling cutely. “I actually did and we had like a week holiday at a hotel-”

“When did that happen?” Donghyun cut in, voice sterner than he wanted it to be.

“Like six months ago? Remember there was a week you said you couldn't contact me?”

“Why didn't you tell me?”

“Tell you what?” Minwoo chuckled. “That I was cheating on you or that I was taken as a free for a damn week?”

“...what's he like?”

“A ing loser but pretty good in bed.” Minwoo said dismissively. “Enough about him, I can't even remember his name anyway.”

“...”

“So? No luck with finding someone exactly your type?” Minwoo asked, nuzzling against Donghyun's arm as they continued lazing around on bed.

“...”

“I'm talking to you, you know.”

“I'm hungry. Make me breakfast.” Donghyun withdrew his arm, heading to the bathroom for a quick morning shower to cool down the migraine in his head.

.

-

“I'll be out for a while.” Donghyun said, grabbing his coat and wallet. “Don't leave today, tomorrow's Sunday so stay for another night.”

“What's with this sudden arrangement?” Minwoo raised his eyebrow, peeking out from the kitchen.

“You don't have anything to do anyway.”

“Chores at home, darling.”

“They can wait.”

“And why should they?”

“Can you don't be such a prick and just go with the plan?” Donghyun groaned, half yelling.

Minwoo flinched, eyes widened and expression so genuinely shocked that Donghyun felt bad for exploding.

“I'll be back in an hour.”

-

The tension was still in the air an hour later when Donghyun returned. Minwoo jumped up from the couch and awkwardly gestured at the dining table because Donghyun never raised his voice at him before.

They throw snarky remarks at each other and curse at each other but because they were just in a temporary relationship that was like buddies which started from being longtime friends, it was 0% the drama and 200% the fun. They don't fight, there was no need to.

So Minwoo was confused at what changed this silent mutual agreement they had from the start.

“Sorry.” Donghyun sighed, the atmosphere killing him. “Ignore the earlier thing.”

“...is there something wrong?” Minwoo started cautiously. “You've been off lately but starting this morning you're all sorts of weird.”

“No, nothing.”

“What, our third anniversary digging into your mind?” Minwoo tried joking, tone faltering when Donghyun's face still look as serious as ever. “Okay, I mean you know I was half kidding when I said I'll bake a cake for today. I always do that to piss you off, so-”

“Bake it.”

“But you look so uncomfortable-”

“Bake it.”

“Right...”

And Minwoo watched Donghyun fiddle with this small box for the entire day but never managed to gather enough courage to ask the grumpy old man what it held. The cake he made was overbaked and Minwoo was so tempted to throw it out but Donghyun insisted they take a bite.

Kim Donghyun is weird.

-

He sighed, tossing and turning in his bed. He was becoming weird, and Minwoo could sense it too.

The odd thoughts of walking on the streets with hands held, a trip to the amusement parks with silly headbands and matching T-shirts, a quiet night of cuddling and nothing more.

There was this unsettling feeling of losing Minwoo.

And it was wrong.

Because he was meant to lose Minwoo.

-

“Let's end this.”

The low voice broke the comfortable silence as they sat on a park bench after their meal.

They rarely ate outside, but there was really nothing much else to do at either of their houses anymore. Maybe marathoning movies last Friday wasn't the smartest idea.

“Hm? What?”

“Our relationship.” Donghyun said with a subtly stiffened expression. “Let's end it.”

“You found someone?”

“...no.”

“But we said we'd only end this when someone finds someone else.” Minwoo raised his eyebrow, turning to look at the older. “If you didn't, why should we end it?”

“I just don't want to deal with you anymore, okay?” Donghyun shook his head, slightly pulling away. “Must I find someone else to be able to end this-”

“What the ?” Minwoo widened his eyes, face in disbelief. “You don't want to deal with me anymore? Take that back, right now.”

“Don't be-”

“How dare you speak like I'm some sort of ing problem in your life that you need to solve?” Minwoo yelled, ignoring the surprised passer-bys at the park on a weekend afternoon. “I was here for you for three years, Kim Donghyun, three ing years and way more when we were just friends and you tell me I was this unwanted problem all this while?”

“I'm not saying you're a problem!”

“Whatever, man.” Minwoo sighed, standing up to leave. “This relationship was becoming too real for my comfort anyway. Yeah, fine, break it off.”

Donghyun winced, the words ringing in his ears. He was the one who brought it up, but it didn't sound so piercing when he said it. He looked up reluctantly at the other who stood up, the redness in Minwoo's eyes startling him.

He reached out, only feeling his fingertips graze the younger's skin as the man turned to walk away, a stray tear falling.

....

-

“Hey, Minwoo.” A man called, and Minwoo was so sick of hearing his name being called this entire week but turned his head anyway. The y jawline and tight-fitting shirt, the low voice he remembered.

“What? Need another week of free or something?” Minwoo laughed humourlessly. “My price jacked up, I'm worth like a million dollars right now so you better pay up.”

“You look like a wreck.” The arm s around his waist, and Minwoo shook it off. “Probably cost a wreck too.”

“ you.” Minwoo spat, slamming the table as he readied himself to stand up and leave.

“No, you.” The man smirked, leaning down.

Minwoo rolled his eyes, the rough kiss suddenly bringing flashes of images into his head.

A man.

White dress shirt.

The kiss deepened, and Minwoo fought the man's tight grip.

The black bedsheets.

A familiar couch.

Minwoo screamed, pushing the man off him with all that he had. “Get lost, you bastard. I don't have time to deal with you.”

“Chill.” The man shrugged. “Call me if you feel like it.”

“Yeah, and reach a dead line. Same tricks don't work twice.”

“Look, you're the one saying you weren't looking for something serious, but started talking about things like anniversaries and getting our own house.” The man sighed. “You're y and all that, but ain't got no time for commitment. If I wanted that sort of I'd sign myself up for a wife. Just thought I'll give you some time to think about that.”

“Whatever.” Minwoo bit the insides of his cheeks, refusing to let his blurred vision affect him. “Get lost.”

“...you got yourself a man?” The man raised his eyebrows doubtfully. “You look like you're about to cry.”

The tears he was holding fell, and Minwoo clenched his fists even tighter. “I'm not going to repeat, off.”

-

Donghyun threw the small box in a random direction as he made a wreck of his house. Every corner of this damn place was reminding him of the man he let go of.

Why.

Why couldn't he just try.

If he was going to lose Minwoo anyway and fall into this hell, he might as well tell Minwoo he wanted more out of their relationship.

He didn't want to look any further. There was no one like Minwoo for him. It wasn't that he wanted status quo.

It was the twinkling eyes of Minwoo's when they shared a stupid joke. He leaned in so naturally against Donghyun's arm, slapping it lightly as if blaming the older for the bad joke. And then on some days, they stare at each other a bit longer before closing the gap to-

It was the irrational calls to Minwoo when a fever burns his brain cells, and the younger arrives within half an hour with groceries and medicine in hand. He cooks some porridge and changes the cold towel over Donghyun's warm forehead consistently, smiling softly when Donghyun croaks a thanks. Get well soon, Minwoo would whisper, and Donghyun finds himself grabbing the other's wrist to stop him from leaving before letting the younger fall over him for-

It was the late night conversations over alcohol that Minwoo initiates, them drinking themselves into a drunken stupor when Donghyun finds it hard to be truthful to everyone and himself. He confesses of the stress at work, the inflating prices for a comfortable living, the boring things in life that he tries to keep to himself because he was an adult, supposedly able to cope with all this. Minwoo is so organised with his life he doesn't have a problem, and even has the leisure to see through Donghyun's unusually quieter self. And the Minwoo before him with reddened cheeks and a distracted smile suddenly looks so much more beautiful that he grabs the younger by his collar and crash their-

He could tell what he wanted, but it was so hard to convey.

Not two houses to switch around but one shared one.

Not empty fingers but a matching accessory to flaunt.

Not weekend buddies but a daily companion.

Donghyun was afraid of commitment, yes, he was.

But he was more afraid of losing Minwoo.

-

“Can we meet?”

Donghyun clutched his phone tightly, praying. It took him a lot of courage to do this, and he really doesn't want to write it off as a stupid thing he did under the influence of alcohol.

“You were the one who ended things.”

Donghyun let himself read the message twice. Once to check that it was from Minwoo, another to read the bite in the message.

“Are we no longer friends?”

The reply didn't come as soon as he would like it. Donghyun fiddled nervously, so tempted to write anything else to prompt a reply. Minwoo was on the other end, he only just sent the previous message, so why, so please-

“Two hours later, the park. I'll meet you at the bench we last saw each other.”

The place he saw Minwoo cry.

-

“You're here.” Minwoo stated simply, kicking his legs in the air.

Donghyun nodded slightly, taking a seat beside the younger, but flinching when Minwoo scooted further away.

“Minwoo.” Donghyun sighed, the name leaving the tip of his tongue a bit more reluctantly than he would have liked it to be.

“I’m kind of a bit busy, so if you could just state what you want to say, and then I’ll make myself scarce-”  Minwoo was cut off, an unnaturally gentle but tight grip around his wrist as if to stop him from a word more. His breath was caught in his throat, the contact so familiar, so fleeting but so intense.

”You’re going to break me, bastard.” Minwoo groaned, still unused to Donghyun’s size.

“I’ll fix you back up as soon as I do.” A kiss on the tip of his nose. “Can’t bear to leave you broken for too long.”

He leaned lower, their lips meeting and Minwoo fought the restraints on his wrists to try to push the older man away as if for self-preservation.

“Don’t run.”

Those eyes. So clearly staring at him and regarding him for who he actually is.


“Minwoo.” Donghyun repeated, eyes widening slightly at the younger’s frozen expression. “Are you-”

“It’s nothing.” Minwoo coughed, shaking Donghyun’s hand away but letting his eyes linger on them for a second too long.

And Donghyun took advantage of that fact, hands cupping Minwoo’s face and turning the younger to look at him. “Look at me.”

”Minwoo, listen, for God’s sake!” Donghyun half-yelled, wincing as he cursed himself for his short fuse. “Hey, it’s fine, I’m here.”

Minwoo whimpered, clenching his fist about a part of Donghyun’s shirt and clinging closer.

“I’d tell you how stupid you are for being afraid of thunder and lightning but then I wouldn’t be such a nice boyfriend, would I?” Donghyun chuckled softly, the hand ruffling his hair providing so much comfort he almost couldn’t hear the thunder. “Look at me.”

And the flashes across Donghyun’s face didn’t faze him as much as it should.


Minwoo pushed both hands away, so insistent on looking away as he bit the insides of his cheeks. “Don’t waste your time on stupid things. Just say your piece.”

“I’m getting there.” Donghyun sighed softly, crouching down before Minwoo to at least counter his averting actions to some extent. “Minwoo, your eyes-”

“Can you just get to the point!” Minwoo screamed, the tears falling way too quickly and way too loosely. He should have dehydrated himself well enough from the crying fest for the whole of last week to last him tearless for another two days, but apparently there was still a well inside of him. “I’m tired, I’m leaving.”

Minwoo pushed passed Donghyun who hurriedly stood to stop him, the older man then catching him by his waist and reeling him in.

”Don’t go.” Donghyun mumbled, hand easily finding Minwoo’s waist despite the throbbing headache.

“I’m not going to deal with a drunken old man.” Minwoo chuckled lightly, gently prying off the weak grasp around him. “Just sleep, I’ll come check on you tomorrow.”

“Hey, you know…” Donghyun ignored Minwoo’s words and dragged the younger man closer. “I think I love you.”

Minwoo froze, but the older man couldn’t comprehend it in his half-conscious state.


The younger man gathered all his strength to push away Donghyun who kept pressing closer, their lips locked in a fierce battle. Donghyun felt the tears, the resistance, and something in him clicked that maybe-

Maybe they were both facing this denial the entire damn while.

“I love you.” Donghyun whispered, feeling Minwoo lose strength. “And that’s why I don’t want to waste any more time going all around it.”

Minwoo didn’t have all the brain cells in him to work and comprehend everything, and only watched in absolute horror with a tear-stained face as Donghyun got on one knee, pulling out a vaguely familiar small box from his pocket. The man before him opened the box to reveal a silver ring, the most disgusting words leaving the tip of his tongue.

“I don’t have much going for me, and I’m a loser. I can’t step into a kitchen because we both know I’d blow that up, and I still can’t figure out why laundry has to be separated into black and white baskets. But I’m better than that ing loser you cheated on me for, and if I’m not already, I’d try to be better than all the rest of the losers out there you think are hot. So I need you to sign some papers and be my legal housekeeper.”

“This is ing wrong.”

Donghyun winced as Minwoo’s sharp tongue, raising his head as he watched the younger rub away the falling tears.

“I’m supposed to hate all of that but I’m starting to feel like a Disney Princess.”

Donghyun fought his smile, reaching for the younger’s hand.

“Would you marry me?”

“And force you to celebrate anniversaries, expect romantic gestures from time to time, spend your money and be the co-owner of your ing expensive house? Yes.” Minwoo grinned cutely, hugging the other tightly.

“…you really know how to make a man love you.”

“Woah, there’s so little sarcasm in that line, old man.”

“ you.”

“That’s going to be your lifetime job.”

Donghyun smirked, leaning down for a quick kiss. “...damn right it is.”

-

:( 
So sorry I haven't been updating this, and if anyone here follows Once upon a time, then I'm even more sorry >_>
I know I'm an irregular updater so I made sure I only post one-shots, and to be fair Once upon a time, follows a one-shot series concept so ehehehe. /bricked/

I'm also real sorry about everyone who came up with an alternate universe in the comments! I will get to them T____T!! 
I love all of them ideas but this topic hit me hard when I was thinking about life and I thought it would be a good topic to write about and it fitted my universe 6 which I liked a lot because couples being snarky to one another are like my ideal sort of couples +_+ Spices up everything /bricked again/

Thanks to the 37 subscribers and the 4 commenters <3
WELCOME TO THE DONGWOO SHIP. ALL ONBOARD.
/bricked infinitely/