Candy Machine

Just a Child

------------------------------ Candy Machine
Donghyun as a Homeroom Teacher
Minwoo as a High School Student

Universe 16
warning(s): none.

He was the smartest kid, unrivalled for the third year in high school. Everyone had no doubts that he’d move on to one of the best national universities in the city.

But there was a problem.

“Kim Junu.” A velvety smooth voice called out, and he let his eyes follow the figure sliding across the floor tiles towards the said student. “Have a candy and try to stay awake.”

Three weeks with a new homeroom teacher, all young and fresh (and super hot), Minwoo found something inherently wrong with the entire situation.

He was not getting a single bit of attention from him.

“Now, who would like to answer the calculus question on the board?” Minwoo let his hand shoot up, but he didn’t let his hopes go the same direction. “Anyone?”

Disappointed was an understatement.

He was completely crushed at being disregarded, much more by him.

He only heard his name from those tempting lips once; on the very first day of his third year in high school for attendance.

Everyone stared at their class president and then their teacher quizzically.

“Park Eunseo, you try.”

A disgruntled noise as a female student stood up reluctantly, dragging her feet from the back of the class to the board at the front. She paused beside Minwoo. “Any answers?”

“Half minus pi over four plus pi squared over four.” Minwoo sighed.

“Solve it yourself, Eunseo.”

Minwoo pouted as if he was the one scolded.

After two excruciating minutes for the female student, the teacher allowed her to return to her seat before explaining how to solve what Minwoo could without pen and paper.

The smartest kid decided to use his brain for something else this time:

Mission Grab-Homeroom-Teacher’s-Attention.

“…and I’ll let you guys go for lunch five minutes earlier today. There will be a quiz next week, so do brush up on your basics. Calculus will definitely be tested.” The homeroom teacher regarded the class with a soft smile. “Choi Youngjae, try not to get a zero this time.”

A flash of enlightenment.

“Class dismissed.”

-

“Minwoo?”

Minwoo almost gasped, feeling his heart pound frantically against his ribcage. “…yes, Teacher Kim?”

“See me after class.”

Nodding meekly, Minwoo tried to will away the blood from his cheeks. “Yes, sir.”

-

“Do you think you could explain your marks for the quiz this time?” He asked gently, grabbing a chair from the neighbouring table and sitting in such proximity. Minwoo stared straight at his table, basking in the undivided attention and the strong gaze on him but couldn’t bear to meet those eyes. “You didn’t write a single thing, except of course, your name.”

“…” Minwoo tried to open his mouth but couldn’t find the right excuse.

He didn’t know how to do? But he’s the smartest kid in class.

Maybe he should have at least wrote gibberish.

“…did something happen at home?”

Minwoo turned his head sharply, eyes widened.

That’s not-

“I see.” The older man nodded, hand resting gently on Minwoo’s head. He then gently, and Minwoo felt tingles all the way down his spine at the contact to even remember to protest against his homeroom teacher’s misunderstanding. “Do you want to talk about it?”

Talk about what when his family matters are completely fine?

Everyone in his house is healthy and happy, except him with an unhealthy desire to be noticed by a certain someone now affectionately petting his head like they were always on such terms.

And that thought suddenly made Minwoo feel so pathetic that his eyes started welling up with tears. Why was he so desperate for a teacher’s attention, nevermind that he’s hot? He couldn’t even tell if this was a fleeting crush or that he actually lost his ual identity and he would willingly throw away all the straight A grades to fail a quiz just to gain some attention.

Kim Donghyun, you’re so dangerous.

Strong arms circled around his form and held him tightly. Minwoo let himself wail against his homeroom teacher’s chest and misunderstandings be damned. “It’s okay, it will be okay.”

-

After having an all night long conversation with his mom who got a shock of her life seeing the first failed quiz her son had, Minwoo yawned more than usual. While his homeroom teacher had amazing visuals, his low voice was so smooth it was literally lullaby.

His eyelids were heavier by the second…

“Minwoo?”

Minwoo nodded off, smiling softly. He must have heard wrong, because there is no way his teacher would call him.

“Minwoo?” A hand placed lightly on his head, ruffling his hair. “Do you want a candy?”

Stirring awake, Minwoo blinked and tried to understand the situation and the hand that hadn’t left his head.

He heard his heart beating loudly, sound so deafening his ears were throbbing. Blood rushed up his cheeks, and his entire body started burning. He looked up meekly at those kind eyes and that soft smile, himself biting his lower lip hesitantly. “Can I have a candy?”

A soft chuckle, and Minwoo held out both hands to receive the candy he always wanted.

The first of the many to come.

-

Love to the 46 subscribers!
It's a bit dry and seems incomplete but I just wanted light fluff and didn't want to deal with too many things lol.
Title doesn't make sense but I'm tired so whatever comes to mind shall be the title. I'll regret this tomorrow lolz.
Open ending, have fun dreaming of DongWoo :D

IDEA FROM chibby521:
How about (...) a teacher-student role (college probably?)?

Keep those prompts coming in! I might not write them immediately but I like your ideas, whatever you have for me~