Woes of a Salaryman

Just a Child

------------------------------ Woes of a Salaryman
Donghyun as a Salaryman
Minwoo as a Freeloader
Universe 1
warning(s): um, alcohol.

 

“You are…” A man that didn’t look anywhere past the age of 18 approached him, eyes wide.


“Kim Donghyun. You got the wrong guy.” Donghyun said dismissively. Being misrecognised in the city was such a common affair, though Donghyun only had it happening to him twice. Once by an old granny, and second by this man before him.

“No, you’re the right one.” The man smiled brightly, grabbing his hands.

Donghyun glared at the man, then harshly drawing his hands back from this weird guy. “What the hell is wrong with you?”

“I’m Minwoo!” Minwoo exclaimed, pouting slightly at the harsh treatment.

Donghyun blinked, wondering if the name was supposed to be some sort of explanation for this situation. Nope, didn’t seem like it. “So?”

Minwoo deflated at the dismissive tone, pouting a little more. “Well, maybe you have forgotten me, but I haven’t quite done that yet!”

Without giving the random stranger another chance to spout nonsense, Donghyun headed into the crowd of people who were all rushing to work, just like he was. Seriously, he should have just ignored him. Maybe he was a con artist…though he did look pretty decent a guy.

“Found you.” Minwoo panted slightly. The morning crowd wasn’t something to mess with, but neither was he just going to let this man out of his sight. Not after he went to the trouble of coming to the city right after graduation.

“Stop talking to me, kid. I’m busy.” Donghyun groaned when Minwoo wouldn’t quit following him.

“I’m not a kid. I’m 20.” Minwoo stated with his arms folded, sticking closer.

“Anyone who thinks he is an adult just because he turned 20 is a kid.”

“You haven’t changed.” Minwoo smiled softly, words effectively stopping Donghyun for a second.

The older man turned to regard the shorter and childish-looking (I-turned-20-so-I’m-an-adult) man, frowning. “Do I know you?”

“That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you.” The smile Minwoo wore brightened, while Donghyun’s frown deepened. It did start to feel familiar…

“Well then, try harder.” Donghyun shrugged the feeling off, reminding himself that he had a job to keep. “Later, kid.”

-

He thought any sane person would take “later” as “never”.

Apparently, not this guy named Minwoo. Donghyun had left his office for his lunch break with his colleagues, but this kid came up to him and said that they were to have lunch together. His colleagues looked amused and then left without him, telling him to pay more attention to his younger brother.

“The hell, I have no younger brothers.” Donghyun grumbled, but the more important thing right now was to grab lunch. One hour later and he would have to be back in his office.

“You do have a younger sister, though.” Minwoo shrugged.

Donghyun stared at Minwoo, but continued walking. “…are you a stalker?”

“NO!” Minwoo yelled, hurriedly placing his arms before him to form an ‘X’ as if to defend himself. “I’m not one of those disgusting kind of people.”

Donghyun frowned while walking faster as if it helped him to think, ignoring the fact that Minwoo had a harder time trying to keep up. “Then…are you a con artist?”

“Are you seriously looking at this face and saying it’s one of a con artist’s?” Minwoo pouted, deciding to do a small jog instead.

“Then who the hell are you?”

“I said, I’m Minwoo! No Minwoo!” Minwoo huffed, holding onto Donghyun’s wrist and giving it a tug. “My goodness, you walk too fast!”

“Who the hell is No Minwoo?” Donghyun cursed, but slowed his pace anyway. “What, you some idol or something?”

“No! Your neighbour from back when you were 18!” Minwoo stood akimbo. He had thought he wouldn’t have to spell it out for Donghyun, but it seems like this man’s memory wasn’t the best.

“Oh.” Donghyun paused, staring at Minwoo from top to toe. “Oh.”

“I thought I looked pretty similar to when I was twelve…” Minwoo grumbled, but hooked his arm with Donghyun’s.

“That’s stupid, you were below my waist then…I think.” Donghyun tried pulling back his arm, but Minwoo’s grip was stronger than ever. “Hey kid, let go.”

“Nope, not gonna.” Minwoo stuck out his tongue childishly, then feeling Donghyun give up trying to break free. “Where are we going to eat? I don’t know this place well.”

“…so you’ve been waiting for me since morning?” Donghyun thought back to when Minwoo jumped up at the sight of him a few minutes before.

“Yes, exactly. It’s my first time in the city, okay? I just arrived last night and followed your mom’s directions. I overslept though, so I thought I should try to find you in the station, but man, there are so many people!” Minwoo ranted on, telling about his adventures on foreign ground.

Donghyun felt his frown disappear, and although he only knew this kid up till he was 12, it did start to feel very familiar.

-

“I’m saying you should have told me BEFORE he came.” Donghyun grumbled, having to drag Minwoo’s luggage for him because the smaller guy was such a wimp. “Why the hell would you call me to inform me AFTER he appeared before me, nagging at me to let him stay over at my place?”

“Hello auntie!” Minwoo yelled out his greeting so Donghyun’s mother could hear him, while Donghyun glared at him for the sudden shout. “Oops?”

“I didn’t think he would arrive so early, I only told him yesterday!” Donghyun’s mother defended herself over the phone, though her cheerful tone didn’t seem apologetic at all. “Hello Minwoo~! Donghyun-ah, take care of him for me, okay? His mother and I were friends for over 10 years so don’t make me embarrassed to face his mother.”

“Right, right. When will he leave?” Donghyun sighed, watching Minwoo jump on his sofa and switch on the television as if it was his own house.

“That’s not up to me, is it? You’d have to figure that out with him.”

Donghyun cursed some more, then mumbling a bye to his mother before hanging up. He wasn’t sure if Minwoo would so nicely leave as easily as he came, seeing how he had his whole body sprawled out on someone else’s sofa.

“Don’t you have a job of something?” Donghyun then randomly threw Minwoo’s luggage in one corner, walking over to the sofa.

Minwoo hurriedly sat up and patted the space next to him, as if inviting. What, was he the host of this house? “Nope! I just graduated so I have nothing~!”

“Good for you.” Donghyun replied dryly and claimed a part of his sofa back. “That doesn’t mean I have to babysit you.”

“Hey, I can take care of myself. I can do your chores for you too!” Minwoo offered brightly, pointing to their surroundings. “You haven’t washed your curtain nor mopped your floor in a long while, right? I’m good at these!”

“No.” Donghyun stated firmly, staring at Minwoo. “You’re going home.”

“No! I’m staying here!” Minwoo pouted, then leaning onto Donghyun who inched away. Minwoo wrapped himself around Donghyun’s arm and tugged him closer, grinning. “Don’t worry, I’ll make myself very useful.”

“Ugh!” Donghyun winced, trying to get his own arm back while swatting Minwoo’s grip away. “What the hell do you even want to do here? There’s nothing interesting in the city, you can just go home!”

“There is something really interesting though.” Minwoo pouted, digging his chin into Donghyun’s shoulder. Donghyun turned and backed away slightly when he noticed their proximity, vaguely remembering that Minwoo was always a bit affectionate. “You.”

“You know what?” Donghyun stood up suddenly, while Minwoo couldn’t keep up and was left grabbing air. “I’m booking a train ticket for you tomorrow, and you’re taking the earliest train-”

“I like you.” Minwoo whispered, hugging Donghyun from behind and stopping him from moving. “So don’t kick me out.”

“Hey, kid. I think you’re misunderstanding something.” The older man pried the younger’s arms off of him, grip strong around the smaller wrists as he turned to face the shorter man. “You say you’re an adult, so fine, we’re adults. No more playing house and no more games. I’m stressed out enough at work and I really don’t need a neighbour I don’t even remember trying to break into my routines.”

“I’m not playing house.” Minwoo stared back into Donghyun’s hardened gaze, and this was the most determined expression the older had seen since meeting him ten hours ago. Minwoo took a step closer, and Donghyun instinctively took a step back. “I said I like you. So I’m making my move.”

Donghyun fought his urge to laugh, biting the insides of his cheeks. Minwoo took another step closer when Donghyun wouldn’t react, which caused the older man to burst out into the laughter he tried to hold back.

“What’s so funny?” Minwoo stood akimbo, and Donghyun only laughed harder, taking off his dress shirt and then reaching for a T-shirt that he had originally wanted to send for laundry.

“Let’s…” Donghyun fought his laughter as he tried to form a proper sentence. “Let’s just go grab dinner first….”

Minwoo pouted, looking at the laughing Donghyun and then the dress shirt randomly thrown into the supposed laundry bin. Oh well, he’ll have time to prove his words later.

-

Donghyun sighed as he looked at his office calendar, having to work overtime for the fifth time this month. He blinked, turning the calendar a month before and searching for the correct date…

“No, it was the month before…?” Donghyun blinked, then turning the calendar yet another month earlier. “Here.”

Mentally calculating, he estimated it to be around 50 days. About 7 weeks.

“7 weeks and that kid is still at my house.” Donghyun groaned, reaching for his phone to inform Minwoo he would have to grab dinner himself. “Though it’s nice that my laundry is all done on time and the house isn’t so dusty. I should really consider employing a weekly housekeeper.”

Finishing up his usual text, he sent the message and concentrated back on work. If he doesn’t go home early enough, the house invader will claim his bed as his own again. There were a few times when Donghyun would wake up to a warm presence curled up against him. Freaked out the first time, he remembered kicking the being down his bed and watched as Minwoo groaned in pain.

“But I want to sleep on the bed too!” Minwoo whined.

“Then get your own house.” Donghyun growled, reaching for his phone to check the time. “Go sleep on the sofa outside, I don’t have time to play with you. I need to wake up three hours later and do a stupid presentation.”

Minwoo pouted as he walked out, though not before leaving a wet kiss on Donghyun’s cheek.

Too tired to bother, Donghyun dismissively wiped his cheek and ensured his limbs were all sprawled out on his own bed.

“That kid should really find himself a girlfriend.” Donghyun frowned, rearranging the documents before him. “He’s so deprived of women that he’s turning to me.”

-

Minwoo pouted sadly at the text, and then the dinner that he had prepared for them both. Turning to the human-size teddy bear he had bought while on an outing with Donghyun (he dragged the older man out on a weekend, wanting to see the city), he pouted some more and complained to it.

“Guess it’s us two again.” Minwoo sighed, carrying the bear and then settling it nicely on the dinner table. He placed Donghyun’s share of food before the bear and sat opposite it, then digging into his food. “He should really text earlier though, so I wouldn’t have to waste all this food.”

“You know, you know?” Minwoo started sincerely, looking at the smiling bear. “I don’t think he’s taking me seriously enough.”

Minwoo took a few more spoonful of food, then chewing slowly before swallowing. “What do you think I should do?”

The bear only kept smiling, and Minwoo sighed as he finished up his food. Cleaning up the area and keeping what he can in the refrigerator, he then washed the dishes before carrying the bear with him.

Time to laze around on Donghyun’s bed until the owner comes home and kicks him out again.

-

“I’m bored.” Donghyun stated as he switched between television channels on a late Saturday night. The project he was working on finally wrapped up and since the big load of stress was lifted, his life started feeling a bit empty.

“Wanna go out?” Minwoo bounced, hugging the teddy bear tightly (because Donghyun wouldn’t be his teddy bear) as he shifted closer to Donghyun with bright eyes.

“…” Donghyun stared at Minwoo, and then switched off the television. “Hey kid, let’s grab some drinks.”

“Drinks?” Minwoo blinked, settling the bear on the sofa while smoothing out its fur. “What drinks?”

“Alcohol.” Donghyun frowned slightly, staring at Minwoo. “You haven’t had alcohol before?”

“Of course I have!” Minwoo stood proud, hands folded before him. “I already told you I’m not a kid!”

“Then get changed, we’ll be out in five.” Donghyun shrugged, stuffing a few more notes into his wallet and then changing into his outdoor clothes.

-

“Did you really have to drink so much, though?” Minwoo looked at the drunken Donghyun who was barely standing. Taking one of Donghyun’s arms and putting it around his neck, he tried supporting the older man as they exited the bar.

“Is naht enuf…” Donghyun mumbled, leaning his weight onto Minwoo as they walked forward. “I can steel…”

“You can still, but no, you can’t.” Minwoo corrected. “I don’t think we can make it home, you’re too heavy for me. We grab a room at the hotel in front?”

“Mmm…” Donghyun hummed non-committedly, mumbling nonsense after.

Minwoo managed to drag Donghyun towards the hotel and asked for a vacant room. The receptionist smiled sympathetically at him, then passing the room’s key to him. “Must be tough having to take care of your superior.”

Minwoo thought about the sight of both of them. An obviously younger man and an older, drunk (and slightly obnoxious) man. It definitely looked like a work relationship. Smiling awkwardly, he took the key and thanked the receptionist.

Leaning Donghyun against the walls of the lift for a short while as he adjusted his clothing and checked the room number, he then hooked Donghyun’s arm around his neck again and dragged the older man to the correct room. Unlocking the door, Minwoo fought his urge to throw Donghyun on the floor.

“Just…a…bit…more…” Minwoo groaned, then pushing Donghyun onto the bed while readjusting his limbs to make the older man more comfortable. He stared at Donghyun’s scrunched up face, and wondered if it was because of his thick clothing. It was the end of winter and hence a little chilly, but the hotel room was definitely warm enough. “I’ll just take it off of you.”

Donghyun’s position on the bed was with his hands straightened beside his body, his legs spread out. It wasn’t the easiest for Minwoo to work from the side, and since the older man was almost unconscious, it probably didn’t matter that Minwoo climbed over him and sat on him for a while, right?

Minwoo nodded to himself and climbed onto the bed after taking off his thick jacket, then working on Donghyun’s. The older man’s jacket did seem a little old though, as the zipper was a little troublesome to . By the time he got one of Donghyun’s arm out of the jacket, Donghyun seemed to start sobering up a little.

“Relax, I’m making you more comfortable.” Minwoo cooed, dragging the jacket to remove Donghyun’s other arm. He then kneeled against the bed, ready to get back on ground with Donghyun’s jacket.

In one smooth move, Donghyun grabbed Minwoo’s waist and switched their position. Minwoo’s eyes widened, his grip around the jacket loosened in that moment, then falling to the ground.

“You know, I keep telling you.” Donghyun muttered, staring into Minwoo’s wide eyes. “But you should really get yourself a girlfriend.”

Minwoo frowned, watching Donghyun fall a little by a little closer towards him, unable to support his own weight. “And I keep telling you that I like you.”

“Stop saying such irresponsible things.” Donghyun groaned, hand snaking under Minwoo’s shirt and causing the younger man to gasp at the sudden advance. “We’re both adult men. I don’t know what I’ll do to you.”

Minwoo bit his lower lip, blinking quickly. He tried finding traces of the Donghyun he knew, but the hazy eyes didn’t seem conscious enough.

“…” Minwoo let out his breath slowly, the warm hand still wandering around his body. “Go ahead.”

Donghyun stared at Minwoo’s eyes, the younger then staring back. They were quiet for a moment, as if someone paused the moment for them.

Turning himself and falling on his back, Donghyun retrieved his hand from under Minwoo’s shirt and wriggled around a bit to cover himself with the hotel blanket.

“You don’t even know how scared you look.”

Minwoo smiled painfully as he watched the ceiling, biting down harder on his lower lip. His tears welled up in his eyes, and he sniffled softly. “To you, I’m always just a child.”

Donghyun clenched his fists as he closed his eyes, back against the younger.

“Even when I tell you so many times, you never take me seriously.”

-

Minwoo went straight to pack the luggage he had brought with him to Donghyun’s house three months ago when the both of them reached home, Donghyun staring at the wordless younger man. He was usually so bright and talkative, or at least just smiling creepily. Donghyun wasn’t sure if the man before him was Minwoo anymore.

Donghyun wondered if he should just allow Minwoo to do what he wants. Afterall, Donghyun had been trying to chase Minwoo out for a while now, and the man was doing the exact thing he wanted.

Perhaps Minwoo was feeling a little frustrated, but his packing was haphazard as opposed to his usual way. Donghyun would know, since Minwoo did all the folding of his laundry. The messy way of packing was a lot quicker, though, and Minwoo was done in twenty minutes, the teddy bear Donghyun had bought for him strapped to his luggage.

“I have something to say to you.” Minwoo bit his lower lip and stared as Donghyun looked back into his eyes. “So listen, and don’t cut me off.”

“Go on.” Donghyun nodded lightly.

“I like you. No, I love you.” Minwoo started, and watched as Donghyun stared back at him without flinching. This was going better than expected. “I love you, I love you, I love you. At first, I thought I was just chasing your shadow, and just wanted to see what you became after eight years, but then three months here and I know I’m not chasing the you in the past.”

Minwoo took in a shaky breath, not knowing why his emotions were all clogging up at his throat, threatening to stop him from speaking. “I love you, the present you. That you’d keep talking about chasing me out but let me stay around, that you’d say you don’t give a damn about me but always tell me when you’re working overtime. That you’d say you’re lazy like hell but you’d bring me around the city I still don’t know about.”

He couldn’t see Donghyun’s expression as his tears blurred his vision, but he kept his eyes on the silhouette.

“I thought something would change, and I thought it did.” Minwoo’s voice trembled, but the silhouette stayed unmoving. Minwoo tried to smile. “I love you, but I’m giving…giving…giving u-”

“You got to stop looking so ing y.” Donghyun said lowly, snaking his right arm about Minwoo’s waist as he brought the younger man towards him, leaning down for a sudden kiss.

Minwoo blinked and let his tears fall, eyes widened as Donghyun pressed in harder before pulling away.

“Now too, and last night, the hell you think you’re doing to me?” Donghyun squinting his left eye at Minwoo’s confused expression. He leaned in and paused, feeling Minwoo’s ragged breathing due to his emotions and the sudden liplock, before capturing the younger’s man lips again.

This wasn’t true. Minwoo frowned subtly, closing his eyes but still unsure. This couldn’t be true.

“Open your mouth, damn it.” Donghyun cursed against Minwoo’s lips, and the younger felt the other’s tongue slide across his lower lip.

Minwoo couldn’t feel himself, losing strength in his limbs. He felt Donghyun’s right arm around him tightened, his left hand then holding onto Minwoo’s face. The tears that he let fall wouldn’t stop, but he felt Donghyun’s finger wipe it gently away. Donghyun continued dominating the kiss, but Minwoo didn’t have any strength to fight.

This…couldn’t be true.

Donghyun pulled away and watched Minwoo’s tear-stained face, the younger's eyes searching for his as if for confirmation. The older man smirked, then turning on his heels.

Minwoo hurried after the older man, hugging him from the back and then speaking against his back. “So I can sleep in your room now?”

“No.”

“But we’re dating.”

“Since when.”

Minwoo smiled softly at the cheeky tone, nuzzling his nose against Donghyun’s back. “You kissed me, so you have to take responsibility for it.”

“It’s my responsibility, but you’re at fault.” Donghyun then took Minwoo’s arms off of him and turned himself around, tilting Minwoo’s chin up. “Just so you know, I’m not letting you wear that y expression anywhere out.”

Minwoo bit his lower lip as he smiled, tiptoeing for a quick peck. “You’re going to keep me housebound?”

Donghyun smiled back, his eyes having a certain twinkle.

“Nope, room-bound.”

-

I guess it's a bit rushed, but I don't like a cliche get together scene so I just did whatever I wanted with them.
THANKFULLY I WROTE FLUFF FOR THEM THIS TIME.
/phew/