Chapter 2

Stay With Me
"Hey,buddy. I'm going to have to call some people so before I do that, you want to help me?" I said to Mike. He showed me his toothy grin, his front tooth missing. I couldn't help but snort a laughter up. "Let's go get you dressed and then pack your things up ok?"
"Why where are we going? I don't want to leave. Where is mommy and daddy?" He said with a look of curiosity. How am I supposed to tell my six year old little brother that his parents left us and aren't coming back? How does one word this? My parents are making me describe why they left, that it wasn't his fault, that they just didn't want us. I felt my teeth clench together and my teeth grin together as I thought about how they are living the sweet life now and I'm stuck cleaning up after them.
"They will be back soon, don't worry my sweet little brother. Let's go pack up," I lied to him. He just smiled and skipped up to the room. I felt my lie weigh down in my stomach with his little body skipping away. He needed two parents not a 17 year old sister taking care of him. 
I got him dressed in his batman shirt and athletic shorts before tying his nikes on his tiny feet. I stood over him and started to tickle him watching as he screamed and laughed. His feet kicking in the air as he gasped for air through his laughter. His eyes gleaming with happiness as a little child should.
"I'm so sorry," I whispered as he smiled at me all innocent, like life was perfect. I wiped away the tears that were falling and put on a smile. "Ok. All dressed up, now you play with your toys and I'm going to call some people. I'll be back."
I grabbed my phone and went back down stairs. I sat on the ground and slowly slid my hand down my face before I started dialing numbers. 
"Hello, Mrs.Mathers. Can I have a little of your time, please?" I said into the phone when my little brothers best friends mom answered the phone. She of course said yes she had time to talk being a stay at home mom. "I would like to talk to you about something that is happening at this moment. I'm sorry to bother you." I said feeling regret for having to ask an big favor.
"Of course,my dear. You can always talk to me about anything. I know you don't really have the parents you would like, but what can I help you with?" She said in a sweet tone on the other side of the phone. 
"My parents left us. They moved away without us. Our house was sold already and me and my brother don't have a place to go right now. I'm not asking to live with you, but would you mind if my brother stayed with your family till I got enough money to get an apartment. I'll pay rent every month for him to live with you. You know I would never ask such a question, but I'm in desperate times." I said quickly and when I finished I gasped for air. I waited for a response but all there was silence on the other side. "Hello?" 
"My dear Seren, did this really just happen to you? Of course he can stay with us! You can even stay with us, you guys are family and I know that you will do anything to protect your brother. I know that's why you have asked us such a big favor. I'll help you in anyway you need.. I'm so sorry you have been put through this at your age. Don't worry about rent." She said in a tone that was just speaking her holding back the tears in her eyes. I could sense the pity through the phone but I knew she meant well. I wasn't upset I was annoyed this was happening to me.
"Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. I have somewhere I can go," I lied. "I'll pay rent, you guys shouldn't have to worry about handling all of his things so the rent will help and I'll buy everything he will need when school is back. Thank you so much. And if you need me to I can bring his bed if you don't have an extra one. Do you mind if I bring him today, I'm sorry to put you in such a tough spot."
"Please do! And the bed would be great and we can hold his other stuff in the garage if you need us to. In anyway we can help,we will. I must go now and make room for him so goodbye and see you in a few!" She said before hanging up on me. I don't know but she was the light in the day so far. 
I quickly stood up and ran upstairs, I packed up all of my stuff that I knew I needed and then all of his stuff, I mean all of his things so he wouldn't think he had nothing. He doesn't need to think no one cares about him. I then called a guy my parents knew and he came and got the bed, belongings and us before he drove us to the house. He didn't charge us anything considering I told him what had happened to us. He was very sympathetic towards us and furious with my so called parents. He started hitting the steering wheel complaining  about how parents shouldn't be parents if the do that.
He unloaded the car and helped Mr. Mathers carry the bed into the house filled with now four children. When he finished he gave me this smile filled with pity and a big hug. 
"Listen, big guy. You are going to be staying with this nice family for awhile now. I will come and visit as much as I can. I want you to be on your best behavior and use those manners I taught you, okay? I know it's close to Christmas, but I'll come on Christmas Eve and Day to celebrate with you. Call me if you need anything or just want to hear my voice, got it?" I said as I grabbed him in a big hug and I felt my tears start to come. "I love you and will see you soon. Now go play," I said to him as I kissed his forehead. 
"I'll miss you, please don't leave me. I love you, too," he said grabbing me around the neck not letting go. I saw the sadness in his eyes, the fear of being abandoned, the regret of not being a better kid all swirling in his eyes.
"I gotta go, I'll be back very soon. Don't even worry, this family loves you so much too, I know that you are in good hands," I let go of him and pushed him towards his friend. My heart plummeted in my chest making me wish I could afford to have him now. How could parents leave there children so easily? He looked at me once with his streaked face before running to go play. 
"Thank you for everything, Mr. And Mrs. Mathers, I'll pay rent every month and if it's alright I'll be back to visit him often. I'll be going now, thank you for everything." I said before I hugged them. They both smiled sincerely at me, not saying a word. I took my leave before they could say anything about me staying. I went down the street and turned into the city, the only place I will be able to get a job and live. I will bring my brother back home and live a good life. I won't leave as easily as my parents did when times get tough.