Chapter 6

Stay With Me
The sun rose slowly and the sky turned pinkish with the light taking the darkness away along with the stars. I stretched in the tree with this new found light and grabbed the strap of my bag around me to make sure it was still there. It was there that I saw something strange with this large apartment complex across the street. 
"What the- you know what this isn't my problem," I mumbled as I climbed down from my hideaway. I looked back over at the crowd of screeching sixteen year old girls and wondered what they could be doing so early in the morning, especially during summer break. 
I ignored them as I walked back to the diner. I saw that it was still closed, I took out my almost dead phone and saw that it was only six thirty and that I had a missed call from this morning. I saw the name but didn't hesitate to recall them.
"Hello? Is everything alright? Is he okay?" I said quickly, my heart beating out of my chest and my hand sweating with fear.
"Hello, dear. He is fine, but he fell the other day. There is a possibility that he broke his arm,I don't think there is any other injury but they are checking him. If u don't mind can you come to the hospital this morning? I can pick you up if need be." She spoke slowly acting as though this wasn't a big deal and I wouldn't freak out. I instantly started to panic. My protection instinct kicked in and I was about to run when I remembered my job. I had to at least tell her that I needed to leave or she might think I just up and left. 
"I have work at seven, but I'll run over right after I tell them. Tell Mikey I'll be there very soon, bye." I said before quickly hanging up. I felt my stomach twist with each passing second. I worried that there might actually be something more wrong with my little brother. 
Finally, seven struck and Su opened the front door. I quickly jumped up and ran to the door. She opened it for me. I saw her and threw my bag behind the counter. She looked at me with a look of curiosity, wondering why I was rushing around the building. I grabbed my notepad and pen and put in an order of 8 ham and egg biscuits before putting water in cups and setting them on the table. I put napkins and silverware on the table and I heard the bell ring singling that the food was ready, I ran and grabbed a tray to set the food on it. I grabbed the food and practically sprinted to the table without tripping and set the food on the table. Done with that now I'm leaving, my brother needs me. 
"Ma'am, I have to go. My brother is in the hospital and well I need to go please. I'll be back by lunch rush I believe." I said trying to catch my breath from running all around setting that table up. "I did everything that I had to this morning, I'm so sorry," I said before she shoved me out the door.
"See you at lunch rush," she said waving me away. I jumped the remaining stairs and sprinted away. I almost ran into a body that was planted in my way. They tried to move in front of me but I did a fake side stepped and went in the opposite direction. What idiot would get in my way, all other people moved to the side. 
I finally made it to the hospital and saw Mrs.Mathers standing outside looking in all directions apparently searching for me. I ran up to her and wiped the sweat dripping down my face. 
"I'm here.." I said holding up my pointer finger before bending over to catch my breath. "Where is he? Is he okay?" I said as I followed her. 
"His arm is for sure broken, and they are checking him for anything else because it was a pretty long fall. He is asking for you. They will discharge him when they see you," she spoke to me looking back every once in awhile to make sure I'm still there. I was and I wanted to run to Mikey, but there was a problem. I don't know what room he is in. 
"Okay, is it alright if he hangs with me for the day and you guys come get him please? I haven't seen him in a long time to me," I begged before we stopped in front of his door. I saw it and ran in. He sat there with his shoes and everything on looking at the door. He had his sling around him and a cast on his arm. I started to cry and ran to give him a hug. 
"Mikey, you need to be careful! What would have happened if it had been worse!" I said searching his eyes. He just smiled and grabbed my neck with his one arm,happy to see me. 
"I'm fine, Seren. Don't worry about me. How is work? You like your home? You spending Christmas with me?" He said quickly as he let go. When did he grow up so fast? He needs to stop.
"I'll always worry about you. Work? It's fine, I miss you all the time though. And my home is fine, not as fun as our old home. And of course I'm spending Christmas with you! When did you grow up?" I said answering all his questions. 
"I grew up when our parents left us..... I noticed, thank you for being strong for us both." He said smiling. This boy is only six and he had already been through more suffering then any adult. I just hugged him and smiled at the face before me.
"You are going to hang out with me today. We can hang out at my work and eat together. My boss won't mind so don't worry. You ready to go? We'll get you discharged, okay?" I said grabbing his hand that wasn't broken. 
We were all set and able to leave as soon as I signed some papers. He had a broken arm along with a concussion, just our luck huh? We walked back to my work, sightseeing at all the big skyscrapers. We finally made it back to the diner and walked in. 
"Oh,your back! Is your brother okay?" Mrs.Su said as we walked in right before lunch rush. I waved at her and nodded my head. 
"He is fine. Has a broken arm and a concussion. Mikey, this is my boss, Su." I said patting Mikey's head. "Su this is my little brother Mikey. Sorry, I had to leave early this morning. The boys good for you?" I said introducing them to each other. My bother shook her hand like I taught him to. She smiled before looking at me. "Mikey, go sit at the counter over there. I'll be over soon," I ordered him. He listened and walked over to the stool, looking over his shoulder with suspicion every couple steps. 
"They were fine, but kept asking about you. They wouldn't stop asking like ever. In fact look over at the booth over there." She told me pointing to the booth on the other side of the restaurant.