Chapter 3

Stay With Me
I walked through the streets of the crowded city of Seoul. My duffle bag over my shoulder and my eyes open for danger.  Maybe I can find a nice cardboard box to live in for the night. It's not late yet so I might as well start to job search. 
I walked around the people milling along the streets looking at windows indicating the need of workers. I saw absolutely none, do people not need workers or something? I came upon a diner filled with people and a sign hidden in the far lower right corner saying they needed employees. I quickly ran in and looked for a person that looked like they worked there. 
"Hello, you work here, right? I was wondering if I could apply for the job," I said to this gentle, older looking woman standing behind the counter. She looked and smiled at me before setting down her pen.
"How old are you, darling?" I replied seventeen and she nodded gently. "Have you ever worked before?"
"No, ma'am. Can I explain why I really need this job,please?" I pleaded. She looked at me with curiosity swirling in her eye. "My parents left me and my little brother this morning. They left us with no home, money, food, clothing. Nothing left for us except stuff in our rooms. My brother is living in someone's house and I'm roaming the streets for a job. I'm homeless, without money and want my parents back. I really need this job." I said my boiling blood pumping through my body as I spoke about all I had actually lost. I wanted to hit them, I wanted to scream at them, I wanted them here...
"You get the job, my dear. I can't do anything about a place to live, but this is now your job. I'll start you now, you came at rush hour so let's begin," she said wiping the tears off her cheeks. She came around the counter and gave me this hug before having me set my stuff down behind the counter. 
"Now, you are a waiter so you have to be kind to our customers. Do you really need me to train you or can you figure out what to do? Write down what they want and put it on the silver spiny thing over there. Got it?" She said pointing to the thing. It sounded simple enough. I nodded and went to work. 
I was there till they closed for the day. I grabbed my bag before I went up to my new employer. 
"I'll be back tomorrow morning at seven. Thank you for this job, ma'am." I said. Before I could leave, she gave me a hug and said goodbye and to be safe. I walked out the door and looked around at the brightly lit skyscrapers around me. I looked around for somewhere I could sleep or well sit until it was morning again. I walked a little away from the tiny diner surrounded by the large bright buildings until I turned into an alleyway looking for a box to sleep in for the night. Thankfully, I found one on the first alley I searched and quickly claimed it as my territory. 
I grabbed my bag holding onto it tightly. Fear gripping my guts and holding onto it. What would I do if someone came? I felt myself start to shake with the fear of all the scenarios that could possibly happen to a seventeen year old girl in this world. I had been exhausted from the day I had but fear had somehow gotten hold of my adrenaline system and I was wide awake now. While I sat there looking at the brick wall in front of me, I thought about how I was still in school trying to earn a living for two and survive on my own all while every kid my age had caring parents, a social life and people who loved them. I want to be normal so badly. 
I felt myself start to cry as I thought about everything I would be missing out on trying to take care of things that my parents are supposed to do. My body shaking I decided that it would be best if I didn't sleep and just walk instead. I threw my bag over my back and walked out of the darkness and into the light. I wiped away my tears that wouldn't stop coming as I walked. I tried so hard to avoid the staggering pedestrians that were still out tonight. I stopped at this window filled with children toys and thought of all the times I was with my parents and happy. 
'My parents were sitting in the front seat while Mikey and I sat in our car seats in the back. "Mommy, are we almost there?" I yelled from the back swinging my legs. 
"Yes, my princess," my father replied for her. We finally stopped at the park and my parents helped us out. I jumped out and into my fathers arms wanting to be carried. He carried me on his back as he carried the picnic basket. He pretended to be an airplane on his way up the hill.
"Put her down, Mike! Let's eat then we can play, okay?" My mom yelled after him with a smile lingering on her lips. She set down the blanket and sat down as my father handed out sandwiches. The rest of the day was filled with laughter and games of tags and just us being together.'
That memory was the best I've ever had with my parents. It was also the last. My cheeks were now ten times red and soaked with tears that had been flowing during my flashback. I decided to move on to the next building. 
There were people everywhere staggering from being a drunk mess or laughing to friends. They all looked happy to be living a normal lives. Soon I'll be back to that maybe.