One Week (Final)

One Rainy Day

 

Dictionary: 

halmoni - grandma
halabeoji - grandpa
gomo - father's sister (aunt)
umma - mother
appa - father

 ____________________________

Day 7:

The knocking on the door awoke the girl form her dreamland. Smiling to herself as she stretched and yawned, the girl sludge out of bed. The knock on the door came more urgently as the girl fixed her hair and made her way to the door.

She was surprised to see who was standing at the door. But as soon as her gaze fell upon their faces, fear and worry consumed her. Slightly gawking, the girl asked, "Halmoni? Halabeoji? What are you guys doing here?" She motioned them inside, helping her halmoni into a chair.

New fear hit her as she noticed her already frail halmoni even more frail than before. Not to mention that her eyes were laced with tears and were red all over. Her old body was shaking and even though the girl had gotten a towel to dry her cheeks, they never ceased to be wet. 

"What's going on?" The girl asked, watching as her halabeoji took a chair, dragging it over to them and sat down. The girl looked back and forth between them. Queasiness overtook her stomach as she looked upon her halabeoji. The weight of the world had seem to be on his shoulders as he slumped forward in his chair.

Silence surrounded them; only the sniffles of her halmoni was echoing through the room. Time seemed to stand still as the girl sat there, preparing herself for the worse. She felt as if her world stopped, anticipating on what her halabeoji was going to tell her. Pressure started to fill her head, pricks climbing up and down her arms while her stomach started to churn. She felt her cheeks become clammy as she asked again. "What's going on?"

Her halabeoji opened his mouth and before he could even speak a word, she knew that it would be bad news because of the desolation on his face. His voice was low, but stern. "I'm sorry, but.. I don't how to tell you this... Your parents are dead."

Her world crashed as everything around her turned black.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Soft whispers and faint crying entered the girls ears as she started to come to. An aroma of freshly baked cookies made their to her nose and for a moment she smiled. But it didn't last long as she heard familiar, and unfamiliar voices enter the room. Gaining strength, the girl pushed herself up to face the voices.

"Oh, thank goodness you're awake!" The girl's halmoni sighed in relief. making her way over to the side of the bed.

The girl watched as her halmoni did so, noticing that the bed she was in was her parents. Her heart sank as her halmoni pulled her close, squeezing her with a hug. 

Releasing herself from the hug, the girl turned herself towards her halmoni. Forcing her words out, the girl asked, "What happened to them?" 

Grabbing her hands, her halmoni sighed. Her face squished up as she thought her answer through. When she did look back at the girl, tears were strolling down her cheeks. With faint words, her halmoni spoke. "Your father was on his way to the hospital but before he could get there, he lost control of his car and crashed in a ravine. You see, the doctor had called him about how your mother had a turn for the worst. He was in such a hurry and that's what caused him to crash on the slippery roads." Catching herself for a moment, the girl's halmoni took a second to regain herself as she continued, "That night, your mother past away in her sleep. There was nothing we could do. I'm so very sorry." 

The girl could feel her heart breaking, imagining her mother dying alone at the hospital with nobody there by her side. It was more than she could handle. And her father racing to be with her mother, but instead dying himself on the side of the road. Once again, alone. 

Noticing her solemn grief, the girl's halmoni kissed her forehead and leaves her to rest. There was nothing more to say.

Flipping to her side, the girl curled up, engulfing herself into her parent's blankets. Closing her eyes, she imagined the warmth of their bodies laying beside her, comforting her and telling her that things will be okay and that they were still there. She imagined her umma running her freshly polished nails through her hair and her appa's rough, but gentle hands rubbing her back. She imagined them kissing her forehead.

Yet, they were only imaginations. They will never be back, holding her close, kissing her forehead, telling her everything was okay. They will never be laying down beside her, keeping her warm from the cold. They will never be there to wipe her tears away. Never again will she have them with her.

Pulling the blankets above her face, she started to cry. Finally being able to be alone in her own thoughts and become engulfed in her own world, she let the tears fall until they dried themselves up. After a time of crying, and once all her tears had dried up, she found herself falling into a fretful sleep. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

A sound coming from inside the room awoke the girl from her dreams. Sitting up quickly, the girl watches as the person got up from the floor and brushed themselves down. Noticing who it was in an instance, the girl could only cry out.

 

"Gomo!" And with that her gomo made her way towards the bed, climbing up and throwing her arms around the girl. Her hug felt amazing as the warmth surrounded her. But when her gomo stopped, so did the warmth.

"____! It's been too long! Are you hungry?" Her gomo asked, already moving off the bed and ready to fetch her something to eat.

But the girl stopped her. "No, gomo. I'm not hungry." In fact, just the thought of food made her stomach turn and her cheeks hot. Acting normally, she put a hand over . 

"Are you sure? Food always helps, you know." Her gomo tried, but it didn't work. 

Shaking her head, the girl started to lay back down. "No, I'm fine. Actually, I just want to rest, if that's alright?" She glanced at her gomo.

Nodding, her gomo made her way toward the door. "No, of course you can rest. Just so you know, we are just outside and food is waiting for you when you are hungry. You can come out whenever!" Her gomo smiled one last time before shutting the door.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

This time when she woke up, she found her halmoni and halabeoji standing above her, telling her that she was to start packing her personal belongings. When she asked why, they simply told her that she was leaving to go and stay with them. At first, the girl only nodded, knowing that she couldn't dwell at the house and live by her self. She was too young. But once she was in her own room, packing her belongings into a suitcase, did she realize what was really going on. Not only would she be leaving her friends behind, she'd be leaving her memories, her solemn times with her parents, all of the things precious to her--all of it would have to abide here while she was to go with her halmoni and halabeoji. A place which was far, far way. A place where she didn't know anyone, or anything. A place she had never been with her parents. 

Crouching down, the girl stopped for a brief moment to stare at the ground and at her suitcase. Thoughts began to dwell upon her head as her past memories became more vivid. Memories like catching butterflies with her umma and running around, or riding a bike with her appa. Ones that hit her hard, like eating ice cream, or sipping down hot coco while relaxing next to one of her parents around the fireplace. Watching a family movie while reciting quotes and acting out parts as they rest along the couch, not caring about the world around them. She even remembered the time they got her a puppy and how they wrapped their arms around her when it ran away, consoling her with sweet words of how everything will be alright.

Overwhelmed, the girl covered her eyes, telling herself not to cry anymore. She was drained from all of it and just when she thought she could cry no more, she would be blind sided by her grief and her tears would flow again. Sniffling, the girl managed to finish packing. Slowly getting to her feet, the girl grabbed the rest of her things and left her room. Before closing the door, however, she gazed back into her room. "This is the last time we'll see each other." She whispered, glancing around the room one last time before she finally closed the door. 

Greeting her at her entry doorway, her halmoni and halabeoji smiled, reassuring her while each placing a hand onto her shoulder, leading her out of the house and into the car. They opened the back door for her and let her in before shutting it and placing her stuff into the trunk. 

Once they got into their seats, her halmoni, who was sitting in the passenger seat, turned back, placing her hand onto her knee. "I know this is sudden, but it's the only way. We will be taking care of you until you're old enough to live on your own." Her halmoni smiled, greatly. 

Looking into her halmoni's dark, brown eyes, she could tell that even though she was smiling, she was grieving significantly. The girl's heart sank. As much as she didn't want to go, she knew she had to. And the way her halmoni was gazing at her, she faced the facts and nodded. "Okay." She said as she turned towards the window and watched as they pulled out of the driveway and left the house.