Final Drop

One Rainy Day

The rain trickled down the window as the woman stared out of it. She was sitting down on a comfy beige chair that reclined back and a book was laying, wanting to be read, on her lap. Her cat rested silently next to her head as she felt her eyes slowly close shut.

If it wasn't for the door opening and closing, followed by the footsteps entering the house, the woman would have fallen asleep. The woman got up quickly and ran over to the figure that stood dripping wet from the rain. Wrapping her arms around him, not caring if she got wet, the woman smiled and kissed his cheek. "Welcome home, honey!"

Kevin let out a groan as he hugged his wife back. Worried, the woman checked to see if he was hurt. "Are you okay, honey?" 

Her husband nodded, shifting feet and setting his stuff on the entry table. "Just a little tired is all. Work was a bit tougher than usual." Kevin rubbed his neck and stretched some before smiling and giving his wife a kiss. "How was your day?" 

Taking his hand, the woman followed her husband into the living room and sat down with him. Before she could fully sit down, though, Kevin grabbed her waist and pulled her onto his lap. She giggled and got herself comfortable, laying her head onto his chest. "My day was fine." She finally spoke, messing with her husband's fingers. "Work was the same old, same old. People talk to me, message me and then my students don't pay attention in class..." She sighed and closed her eyes. "Why did I even take this job?" 

Kevin chuckled, kissing her hand. "Because you love it. Teaching has been something you've been in love with since you've been in collage."

The woman softly laughed while nodding. "Yeah, I do love it a lot. I just wish kids payed attention."

"Now you know how our teachers feel."

The both of them laughed and exchanged a quick kiss on the lips before settling back down and listening to the rain fall against the roof. Neither of them wanted to speak; the silence being too peaceful and too great. Kevin and the woman want to save this moment for a while longer.

That was, until Kevin remembered something.

"Hey, _______. Do you remember our old friend back in high school?"

"Which one?"

"You know... the one that we ended up not liking?" Kevin nudged ______ a bit, trying to jog her memory.

Thinking, the woman shook her head. "I can't really think of a name right now..." The woman looked up at her husband for help. 

"Her name was Amber."

Confused, the woman echoed the name, trying to see why it seemed so familiar. The name was like a lock wanting to be open but wouldn't. Why can't I remember her face?

The rain outside, which had gotten quiet, was now picking up and throwing the raindrops harshly onto the side of the window. One would expect to hear lightning with the weather being so harsh, but no thunder was heard from anywhere. Only the rain beating down again and again onto the house.

And just like the rain, the memory of Amber came back. Everything from what happened that year and then the year after. How, after Kevin and her had gotten together, Amber had disappeared. No one had known where she had gone or where she went. Rumors flew around the school that she had gone to America to become an actress, but it was never confirmed. Her best friends never said anything. 

Biting her lip, the woman nodded. "Ah, yes. I remember Amber. Why?" The woman suddenly felt scared. Scared that her long ago friend, who turned out to be an enemy, had died or even worse--killed herself. She shook her head, sitting up to look at her husband, trying to erase the fear.

Kevin shifted under his wife, rubbing her arm as he did. "I saw her today while I was out shopping for food."

The woman's mouth dropped open. "Omo, really? What did you guys say?" A bit of happiness ran through her, knowing that Amber hadn't died or killed herself. 

Kevin shook his head, though. "We didn't say anything. The only thing that happened was, I was walking down the street and suddenly, a hurried woman bumped into me. We said our apologizes, and when we looked at each other we had both froze. If it wasn't for the people pushing around us, we might of said something. But, instead, she quickly straightened up and walked away." Kevin made some hand gestures.

_______'s mouth was open, but a question popped into her mind. "Wait, how do you know it was her?"

Kevin shrugged. "You'd be surprise how much she hasn't changed." 

"She still looks the same?"

Her husband nodded. 

The woman started to comprehend a bit more. Amber was still alive and walking around the streets. If she moved to America or not was another question, but at least her worries on her were gone. "And that's it?"

"That's it." Kevin gave a soft smile. "Besides, she seemed to be well off. She didn't look rich, but she didn't look poor." 

______ nodded. "Well, that's good."

"Speaking of which, where are our children?" Kevin sat up, looking at his wife with quizzical looks. 

The woman jumped up off of his lap and took his hand. Giggling, she led him up some stairs and into one of their extra bedrooms. Smiling like an idiot, the woman quietly opened the door and had her husband follow just a quiet. "They fell asleep in their cribs just before you came home." Looking back at Kevin, the woman left his hand to pick up the youngest one. "Sooyoung has been wondering about you all day."

Chuckling, Kevin took his daughter into his arms with care. "And how do you know that? She can't even speak yet."

His wife shook her head with a smile on her face. "I'm a mother; I know when my babies want something." Turning around, _____ bent down and grabbed their son. "Kevin, Jr., has been missing you, too." 

Kevin scoffed quietly. "His name isn't Kevin, Jr."

"I know, but he looks just like you." The woman blushed slightly, noticing the similarities between her husband and her three year old son. "Still, Tyler has been missing you." 

"I still find it funny we named him with an American name but Sooyoung with a Korean name." Kevin commented, setting down his sleeping daughter into her crib again. 

The woman nodded and laughed. "Yeah, it's pretty weird." The woman also settled their son back down, exiting the room with her husband. "Speaking of old friends, you remember Eli?"

Kevin slightly grimaced, but nodded. "Yeah. What about him?"

"He sent a wedding invitation to us." 

Kevin tilted his head. "That pigeon was able to find a wife?" 

The woman playfully hit her joking husband on the arm. "Yes, he was able to! Aish, you know, he's a lot nicer than you think." She chuckled and followed her husband down the stairs. 

Her husband shook his head. "Yeah, yeah. Anyways, what do you want to do since our children are asleep?"

Looking around, the woman thought of what they could do. A million movies entered her mind and a million ideas flowed in and out of her brain system. Then, a thought struck her and she turned towards her husband. "I have a great idea."

Kevin tilted his head. "And what would that be?"

Without saying anymore, ______ took her husband's hand and opened the front door, leading him out into the evening's rain.