Shadow

Our EXO Dads: Cador [DISCONTINUED]

 

 

chapter nine: shadow

"... those beautiful days we were always together like a shadow.

 

 

"So, it's Jeju, huh?"

With Suho driving since who-knows-when, his eyes were obviously getting droopy. Baekhyun, who had seated beside Suho, had fallen asleeep. With arms wrapped around an animal pillow, it's quite distinct to know that Baekhyun had been extremely worn out. Being singers they are who barely get enough rest, they should deserve a well sleep, right? Unfortunately, they're on a search expedition to try and locate the rest of their group.

Jonathan, meanwhile, seemingly hasn't taken his eyes off of his phone yet. A long frown grew on his face as he stared at the contact name.

Chang Huiying.

"Why don't you give her a call?" Suho asks, seemingly sensing what Jonathan has been up to. "This'll be your second day away form home, right? Your sisters must be worried. A call might be the trick to assure them your safe."

"I suppose not." Jonathan answered, eyes still locked on the phone he wields. "I've explained before hand to Huiying what I'm up to."

"And Hyerin doesn't, right?"

"It's best if she doesn't know."

Suho scowled at the boy's sudden reply. "Hyerin-noona often carries the responsibility over our phones. The possibility of her wielding Huiying's phone is pretty high. If I ever tried to call her or even give her a text message, I'm going to be screwed." Jonathan quickly explained further, making Suho nod in understanding.

"But aren't you feelig bad? Making your sister worry like this."

"As long as I tell her a reason that includes my career, she would understand." Jonathan smiled softly. "Besides, I'm actually shooting a drama. It's not exactly lying."

Suho's expression contorted into that of a disagreement but what can he do? 

Eye the road and keep driving, that is?"

"Ugh, are we there yet?" Baekhyun groaned as he shifted in his seat, stretching his arms up. His eyes were rather squinted as he had just awaken from his slumber. The animal pillow he was once hugging has now been carelessly discarded on the back seat where Jonathan was. His facial expresion shouted something like grogginess and impatience, learning that they still haven't arrived at their destination. "How much longer do we need to sleep, Suho? Are we there yet?"

"Patience, beagle." Suho laughed light heartedly before he stepped on the brakes playfully, sending Baekhyun nearly flying to the front. "And please, wear your seatbelt, lil' rascal."

"... Touchè." Baekhyun glared before he simply shifted once more, returning to his dreamland. 

"Baekhyun-hyung's extremely tired, huh?" Jonathan breathed out, seeing the sleeping elder crouch up in his place. "Being an idol is indeed tiresome. I am sorry I ever doubted that this job was easy as counting one, two, three." he laughed as he neared himself to eye Baekhyun.

"Nothing's ever easy in life, Jonathan." Suho replied, eyes stil focused on the road. "Baekhyun... his dream was actually to be a singer so he won't let go of it easily. Not even if his group disbands can hold him back. He always wanted to go solo anyway. And now, he's got it. He's one of the hottest idols in this new era and he's still got the charms."

"I can agree." the younger chuckled. "Huiying and always watches his performance. And yours too, and Chen-hyung's too."

"Come on, didn't we agree to call us 'dad' from now on?" Baekhyun suddenly shot up as he eyed Jonathan, those eyeliner-covered eyes looking straight at him. It was one of the charms Baekhyun had carried. Back then when he and his gorupmates were known as the "freshest idol group", he earned the title "Eyeliner-dol". He even got paired up with a guy from another group, and had the fans claim him as a "mother" of two juniors from another group as well.

The "Hyun" family, as what fans had stated. Daehyun from this group called B.A.P and him as the parents. V of Bangtan Boys and Bam Bam of GOT7 as their kids. It was pretty funny, but he can't deny it, they do look similar to one another. Especially the eyes.

"It's still awkward." Jonathan pouted, acting cutely all of the sudden. "Years of not being able to call anyone like that and you expect me to call you 'dad' all of the sudden?" 

"Don't act all cute-sy and all at me. I clearly recall it's Huiying who's the cute one!"

"Then, does that mean I can't do cute acts?"

"No!"

"Aw, come on! I've been trying to learn the Gwiyomi Song and I didn't force myself to do so just to be called 'not cute'!"

"I never said you were!"

"Your the worst dad I can remember."

"You take that back!"

"No— oh my gosh, Suho-hyung! Cat!"

"Mother of Krisus!"

 

 

Jeju has never changed since they last went there. Still the perfect place to go to, still the freshest breeze, still the greenest plants and still the peaceful sea waves hitting the rocks and the nearby beach. A few new restaurants had been set up, a few new attractions. The mixture of old and new went along well.

Jeju, the land of romance. The "Paris" of South Korea.

"Okay, where do we begin?" Suho huffed as he stretched. Since he's been driving for quite a long time, he needs to stretch his tired muscles. Jonathan was rather scribbling something in the notebook he had managed to carry along, his backpack lazily slung on his left shoulder. Baekhyun, on the other side, was busy making himself look quite fashionable. His eyes were covered in sunglasses, hair put down neatly by a cap.  

"Lets just let our legs go where it does." Baekhyun lazily replied before they started walking. Of course, none dared to question EXO's sassiest member. Baekhyun, with his glasses over his eyes, began to lead themselves.

"Is it necessary that you wear sunglasses?" Jonathan questioned behind. "I mean, people will still notice you, right? I'm barely even covering myself with anything that can hide my identity—"

"Oh, are you serious?!" Baekhyun screeched, digging in his bag before bringing out a beanie and another pair of sunglasses. "Cover your identity! The fangirls, you little rascal. The fans!"

"Aw, they won't hurt anyone, hyung—"

"Dad."

"Dad. Whatever. Anyway, yeah, they won't hurt anyone, okay?  They're not any posion spiders or anything venomous that will just strike, bite you and cause your death."

"But still! I've been more active compared to you and your sisters, Jonathan."

"You just need a bit of understanding towards the fans." Jonathan smiled angelically before he reutrns the beanie and the glasses. "Pyxis are quite loud and active, but they'd never hurt us."

"How sure are you?"

"They've proven it, Baekhyun." Suho laughed lightly before he ruffles Jonathan's hair. "Their fanclub got the official title of being one of the most polite and gentle fans in the music industry. Never had they pushed through to get a grab or a picture of their idols. In fact, they're no sasaengs in their club!"

"Oh. How come I don't know that?" Baekhyun questioned.

"You barely even turn your television on anymore!"

"Oh... right."

Jonathan had never heard the sweet laughter of Baekhyun nor Suho beside him. It was as if he was dreaming nicely, Suho and Baekhyun in it obviously, laughing and comfortably strolling around beside him, teasing and bickering like little kids. Just like how it was fourteen years ago, when everything was still simple and nice in their perspecitve.

Or maybe ten years back then when they were reunited once more. Though not as innocent and childish as they were back then, they still had this "family" vibe. It was a nice and warm feeling. Twelve men standing as their seniors, idols and their dads would rather be the best thing they've experienced.

And now, just the two of them walking beside him was like the best dream yet.

How he hoped it'll be three. Sehun adding in the troop once they find him.

"Seriously though, where are we heading?" Suho pouted as he slings an arm around Baekhyun, who hissed at the sudden contact. Same, ol' sassy beagle. "Please tell me that you've got directions on where we are heading."

"How about we go to that nearby restaurant? We haven't had anything to eat yet!" Jonathan childishly whined, ironic to the "mature sibling" title he's carrying. "Jeju's got the best menu!"

"We're here to spot for Sehun, Jonathan." Baekhyun rolled his eyes. "And seriously, do you want us to put gas on the fire?"

"The restaurant's not even on fire, Baek—"

"It's called a metaphor, you dumb crap. I meant, people are in there. We're idols. What happens when the public notices idols?"

"... Screaming?" Jonathan innocently answers.

"Chaos." Baekhyun glared. There was an awkward silence for a total of ten to twelve seconds before a faint grumbling sound, which literally sends Baekhyun's face growing into a faint scarlet color. "... Okay, fine. Be thankful that my stomach is on your side." he breathed out, leading themselves towards the nearest restaurant Jonathan had pointed out earlier. Secretly, Suho and Jonathan exchanged successful looks. 

With them taking their seats on a random table, the three began to pick out their meals and waited. 

Waited.

And waited—

Baekhyun froze on place. His hawk-like eyes spotted a familiar looking lady sitting a few tables away from him. Yes, it's been years, but he can forever notice that lady. They stood on the same stage numerous times, had a few interactions, and with those times, it's impossible to forget her face. 

Daeun. Ex-member of 2eyes. One of those infamous girl groups back then that unexpectedly climbed up the music charts until they were known greatly not only in Korea, but in a few other countries. 

Baekhyun could remember it clearly. That same girl whom he teased Sehun with. Sehun's classmate in highschool, the same girl who was once mistaken to have "affairs" with EXO's youngest member. In fact, he can admit, he is quite amazed by Daeun's beauty, and on how they made a great couple. He would tease Sehun with her but alas, it seems like the latter was uninterested. 

Ah, like their fresh days, 2eyes' Daeun is as beautiful as ever. With that pinkish-white dress and the perfect straw hat she wore over her now brownish-black hair made her undying beauty radiate better.

And as if fate really had it planned, Daeun's eyes met Suho's.

"Oh! You're EXO's ex-members!" Daeun gasped as she shot up her seat, walking towards where the trio were seated. "Suho and Baekhyun! And what of the odds, Pandora Street's Jonathan too! It's such a wonderful timing to meet you three here." she greeted sweetly.

"Same goes to you, Daeun." Suho bowed before they shook hands. "Seems like your enjoying your normal life, huh? How long has it been? A year? Two years?"

"Two years and seven months, senior."

"Indeed. How's the modelling career so far?"

"So far, so good. I'm just taking a rest my manager had gifted me with. And Jeju just seemed to be the best place available."

Formal greetings were done and a few "fake" laughter were exchanged. Jonathan squirmed in his seat, finding how the two previous EXO members and the a previous girl-group member conversing like this awkward and hard to stand in. To brush that off, the young man simply sipped on his glass of water. "Say, what brings you here, hm?" Baekhyun suddenly questioned as he eyes Daeun. "Not everday do models just stroll around here in Jeju. Anyone you're with?"

"Ah, yes. I'm with my boyfriend. How about you?"

"Searching for someone." 

"Who?"

"... Just someone."

"Ah, a searching expedition, huh? Playing spies like the old days, I see."

"Yes. So, I never knew you had a boyfriend. He must be a wonderful guy, and indeed lucky." Suho commented. "Having to charm a pretty lady like you."

"Oh, I never knew we'd even end up with each other." Daeun shyly laughs. "People used to tease us and match us together, but I ignored it. Who knew that I'd end up with him in the end?"

Jonathan felt like puking. Based on her description, his stomach suddenly flipped. As if it was trying to tell him something...

"Really? And how are you two now?" Suho smiled cheekily.

"Fine. Since I've been quite busy in the modelling industry, I barely get time to hang around with him. Thank goodness he was free yesterday and now, we're here for a five-night vacation. Three days more all for ourselves." she squealed excitedly. "And speaking of that idiot, where is he? He said he's just going to the bathroom!"

"Must've forgotten the time." Baekhyun joked. "Let the boy be."

Jonathan felt puking again.

Why was he having such a bad gut-feeling in this?

"Excuse me," Jonathan finally speaks up, voice faltering. "But... who's this boyfriend you speak of anyway?" he knew he sounded kind of a rude one, but he had to have assurance.

A shy smile crosses Daeun, and Jonathan didn't like it.

"Oh Sehun." she giggled as she leaned back. Of course, Jonathan felt sick and so did Suho and Baekhyun.

"Sehun? Your boyfriend?!" Baekhyun nearly shouted as he jolted up. "Our youngest member? Our Sehun?—"

"Hey, don't claim him as your own, Baekhyun." Daeun pouted. "Remember, you're not groupmates anymore. He left the group right after you guys met that scandal and all. You ditched him. ... At least that's how he claimed the events to be."

"We never ditched him! He ditched us!" Baekhyun bickered. "We're the victims here!"

"Hey, hey, don't shout at a girl." Suho frowned as he eyed Daeun. "Well, now that we know Sehun's your boyfriend, may we know where he is? You see, we need to get him for some reasons and—"

"And hurt him again? You're a heartless monster." Daeun growled, switching from a sunny lassie into a fiercer tigress. "You hurt him before. Do you have any idea on how he spent nights blabbering on how hurt he was? How he endlessly cried on me about you guys? Do you know how you wrecked him badly?"

"We meant none of those!" Baekhyun hissed angrily back. "We never liked the things that happened before! If we can turn back time, I swear, we won't commit the same mistakes again!"

"Liars. That's how you all are." she frowned. "My group promised me the same thing. Do you know what happened after they promised to 'fix' our group? Nothing. I was left alone. We went our separate ways."

"Don't compare us to your puny group!"

"Don't you dare call my group puny, you punk!"

"Hey, hey! Don't do a scene!" Jonathan jumped up, holding back Baekhyun while Suho tried holding Daeun back. Indeed, they were causing a ruckus and probably by now, the public had noticed who they were. Popular singer Baekhyun and Suho and one member from Korea's hottest idol group, Jonathan. It wasn't a lovely scene and chances of being involved in another scandal is high. Kim Monster will not like this. "Baekhyun-hyung! Stop! Don't hurt a lady!"

"She started it!" Baekhyun growled. "Tell that to her! I'm the victim here!"

"Of course that's how you see yourself, you idiot!" Daeun retorted.

"Why you little—"

"Baekhyun, quit it!" Suho screeched.

"Noona, please, you need to understand us." Jonathan pleaded weakly. "We need to, well, borrow Sehun-hyung's assistance. My sister—"

"And what? Hurt him? I am not an idiot to let my man fall on the same painful road again!" Daeun exclaimed angrily, squirming under Suho's grip. "Sehun had enough of your meanies! I will not let him feel that pain again!"

"You don't understand! I really— no— we need him now! We—"

"No!"

"Don't you dare shout at my son, you witch!"Baekhyun angrily cried, anger whipped in him upon hearing Daeun scream at Jonathan.

"Hey! What are you doing to her?!"

One voice. One familiar voice and Jonathan felt as if the air grew thick.

Baekhyun suddenly lost the power to scream back at Daeun while Suho's knees gradually grew weak. Daeun felt his grip loosen and took the chance to run for her dear life, seeking protection to the sudden appearance of a tall man, taller than Jonathan even. His hair was put down neatly by an ash-gray colored beanie and had those still-trendy geek eyeglasses frame on his eyes. Daeun gripped on his sleeve tightly, whimpering. 

Jonathan felt his jaw drop. By this moment, he knew that his throat had gone dry. 

Suho didn't even notice that he had Daeun off of his grip by now.

Baekhyun had slumped back on his seat, trying to grip for power once again. 

With a shaky finger, he pointed at the man standing in front of Daeun.

"Sehun?"