Tomorrow

Our EXO Dads: Cador [DISCONTINUED]

 

 

 

chapter twenty one: tomorrow

"i wanted to become happy and strong but why am i getting weaker?"   

 

 

Everyone knows who's last to find, and that's no other than EXO's picasso, Kris

First to leave the group, Kris had rather given a huge imprint on the group and to the public. He's the longest to not have any reunion with the rest of EXO, and even with Pandora Street's remaining members. It's been a few years already, and Huiying had always wanted to see the first one to leave the group again. She wanted to see EXO's dragon and picasso, the "other" leader, the "father" of the whole group. 

Wu Yifan. Kris. One of her fathers.

Their second night in China passed quickly. Lay, being as kind as he is since then, offered his place for everyone to sleep the night on. His place is tidy, as expected. He was most definitely living alone too, so indeed, there wasn't much trouble. 

There, Huiying managed to update Luhan about almost everything. On how they were doing in Korea, on how they've finally garnered their dreams to stand on the stage as well-loved and well-known idols, on how they were struggling at work...

On how sick Hyerin is with brain tumor. 

Of course, as expected, Luhan didn't handle it well at first. He sobbed and denied it multiple times , not wanting to believe that the eldest "child" was sick with such illness. It's been numerous years, and this was what greets him? Hyerin being sick with brain tumor? What kind of reunion is this? Aren't reunions supposed to be happy and all tears-of-joy or something? Why was he crying tears of agony and denial?

Luhan didn't want to believe it, but what choice does he have left? Continue denying forever? 

He was rather convinced on not believing anything Huiying and the rest said, despite Tao being at the verge of tears as he tried convincing the older latter to believe that their Hyerin is sick when Huiying's phone rings. Of course, the female hurries to answer her phone, just to hear Jonathan panicking on the other line. Huiying had to tell him a string of "calm down" just so he could speak normally. 

Lay and the rest were rather confused on what was happening. Xiumin was capable of seeing a contorted facial expression in Huiying's face before she finally converses calmly with Jonathan, though a hint of fear and worry was audible in her voice. There was a few more minutes before Huiying finally ended the call, dropping her phone to her lap before she eyes the four men with teary eyes.

"What happened?" Tao questions as he eyes the younger.

"Hyerin-eonni," she began, tears forming before they finally rolled down her cheeks uncontrollably. Lay acted fast and hugged the female, patting her back in hopes that he could calm her down. "She... she was sent to the hospital."

"What?" Xiumin gasps. "W-why?"

"She had a seizure." she hiccuped. "I'm... wo-worried for her. She needs to get an operation soon if we want to save her, but not even the operation could save her. Her condition's extremely bad now, and not even the operation would help... She's... she's—" That was it, the breaking point of Huiying as she collapses into a broken, crying mess. 

"Ssh, calm down. I'm sure Hyerin can conquer this. She's a strong woman, right? She can kick any bully's behind, let a lion fear her and stand smiling and pretend to be well on the stage, in front of a million people. And this? This isn't even a big obstacle. She'd overcome it, I swear."

And at the same moment, Luhan cried.

Because even if he tries denying.

The truth will always be facing him straight in the face, and he can never avoid it.

 

 

"Are you sure you know where we're going, Luhan-ge?" Lay asks as he eyes Luhan, who was now managing the steering wheel. It wasn't like Lay was doubting Luhan, but it's been years. He was sure that, yes, Luhan and Kris actually starred in a few movies and dramas together, and actually got a bit closer, but that doesn't mean they're close friends. Even if they were close, then Kris would've been in his wedding day, right? If they were such good friends already, that is.

"Of course! I know where that giant lives." Luhan smiles. "Well, unless he moved out and transfered somewhere else."

"And what if he does?" Tao pouted.

"Then, we're screwed." Luhan grins, only making Tao sigh before leaning back. 

On the back, Xiumin acn easily notice how quiet and tensed Huiying was. It seems like that youngest still couldn't cope up with the situation last night when Jonathan called to say that Hyerin was ran to the hospital due to her having seizures. Huiying wasn't supposed to be shocked. Hyerin had it when Jonathan was away and she sent her to the hospital herself back then. The doctors said that along with that, her brain tumor could cause her to have her personality alter suddenly, and to slowly lose her memories— in other words, become forgetful. 

"Huiying." Xiumin calls out softly as he taps Huiying's shoulder, causing the female to jolt up and eye her upon feeling his hand on her shoulder. "Hey, are you okay? You don't look so well."

"I'm fine." Huiying smiles. "... I'm just jet-lagged. And the tension of meeting Kris-appa isn't making it any better." 

"You'll do just fine." Xiumin grins as he hugs the younger lady, hoping that he'd help at least a bit.

Huiying can only nod as she lets herself sleep with her face buried in Xiumin's chest.

Minutes flew rather quicker than expected.

Soon enough, Huiying wakes up with a different hand patting on her back. Once she opened her eyes, she sees Luhan in front of her, smiling at her, mouthing her something like "We're here" or something. Huiying yawned and rubber her eyes, hoping to sweep away the sleep still remaining heavy on her eyes. With Lay's help, she scooted out of the vehicle, only to see silver-painted gates standing tall in front of her. Behind it was a two-storey building with wals coated in a peach-colored paint, roof neatly painted in a dark reddish-brown hue. Around the house itself is an extremely well-done landscaping, based on how the green plants fitted well with those blooming, colorful flowers. 

"Is this it?" Tao asks as he eyes Luhan.

"As far as I've recalled, yup." Luhan nodded before he bravely stepping and opening the gates, just so they can enter the area. "He must be home. I mean, his car is here." he smiles before he rings the doorbell, making the rest panic a bit secretly. It took a few seconds before a familiar voice came from the other side of the door. Sickly familiar that it made everyone's stomach flip.

When the door opened, a particular black-headed giant greets them with an expression clearly seen as shock. 

"Hey, Yifan." Luhan greets as happy as he can upon seeing Kris infront of him. 

With the rest still frozen and tensed on how Kris would react— bearing in mind that he was the one to first leave EXO years ago—, they were rather surprised when the taller latter actually smiles and greets them in a warm way, a gummy smile and eyes that twinkled with joy instantly greeting them afterwards. "Hey, Luhan!" he greets in Chinese as he initiates a light, brotherly hug before seeing the rest: Lay, Tao, Xiumin and of course Huiying. "I didn't expect you'd drop by here, along with them. Come in, come in! Make yourselves at home."

"What'd he say?" Xiumin questions, absolutely clueless in Chinese, as he eyes Huiying, who was standing just beside him.

"He's rather welcoming us." Huiying translates as she eyes Xiumin back. "Warmly.

With Kris' invitation, everyone makes their way inside his residence. The insides of the house itself radiated a warm, homely feeling. The place was tidy and well lit, and well ventilated as well. The curtains matched the light color of the walls. Furnitures were nicely placed in their respective spots and the pillows on the couch were surely fixed beforehand, based on how neatly they were arranged. There were a bit of magazines and books scattered on the center table though, but not in a messy way.

"So, I never expected the four of you guys to be dragged by Luhan here." Kris smiled as he and the rest sat on the couch. "How're you guys. I've heard that Lay here's in the variety world now, right? Tao's a martial artist actor and Xiumin and Huiying... well, I haven't heard much."

Recognizing that Xiumin appeared quite clueless of whatever he was saying, Kris knitted his brows together as he eyed the older. "Ah, does Xiumin here still understand Chinese?"

"Not really." Luhan replies in behalf of Xiumin. "He hasn't spoken or learned Chinese after the... incident."

"Ah," Kris nodded as he smiles at Luhan. "Be my translator then?"

"I-I can do it." Huiying softly says as she eyes Kris.

Kris then eyes Huiying, whom he hasn't seen for years face-to-face. She has quite grown well and had fitted the definition of "lady". With her slim body, perfectly formed S-Line, slim legs, and her maturing features, Huiying is officially not a child anymore. "You've grown quite well, huh, Huiying?" Kris smiles as he eyes the female. "How're you and Pandora Street?"

"F-fine." she stutters, obviously nervous around Kris. "We're... doing fine."

As Kris nods, another female's voice comes from upstairs before a female's figure comes descending down the stairs. Body wrapped in a simple tee and shorts, her black hair kept down. A warm expression fills her face as she sees Kris' visitors, greeting them with a bright smile as she paces near her. Seeing and noticing her presence, Kris hurries beside her and wraps an arm around her, grinning at his visitors once more. "Ah, let me introduce her to you guys. This is my wife, Xue Minghuang."

"Wife?" Huiying gasps.

"It's so nice to meet you." Minghuang greets in Korean, obviously taught by Kris himself before. "Yifan here had told me lots of stories about you guys." she says, now in Chinese. "Stories about the times you were still active, on how you were worldwide famous. Oh, you have no idea how Yifan here would boast each and every single one of you."

"Ah, that's flattering." Tao blushes into a scarlet color. "It's an honor to meet you as well. I've only seen you in the television during your wedding ceremony."

"Wait, wait!" Huiying cries out. "Since when did Kris-appa get married? How come me and Xiumin-appa don't know?"

"Well, first off, you were in Korea. It was only broadcasted in China." Lay explains. "It's been... how long now? Three years since they got married?"

"Three?!" Xiumin gasps. "Three years of them being married and I had no idea?!"

Due to Xiumin's screech, a foreign crying of a baby echoed upstairs, surprising everyone downstairs. Hearing it alerted both Kris and Minghuang, making them jolt up and look at the direction of the stairs. Upon hearing it, the sudden realization in Xiumin's eyes brightened as he eyed Kris. "Please do tell me that the cry I'm hearing now isn't a baby's." Xiumin groaned.

"I'll tend on Yimin for a while," Minghuang softly says as she nudges Kris before she darts back up.

"Yimin?" Huiying blinked.

"Our son." Kris smiled.

"You have a son?!" Tao gasps. "Luhan-ge, you never told us Kris-ge here had a child!"

"I didn't even know that he has a child!" Luhan whined before everyone finally shoots a look—something that looked like lots of explaining has to happen pronto— to Kris himself. At first, Kris can only smile before he finally huffs, explaining what everyone had missed throughout those years they lost connections or any signs of communications. On how he got married to this woman named Xue Minghuang three years ago, on how they were gifted a healthy baby boy a year ago, and on how his life as a steady and successful actor-slash-singer he is now. On how he is steadily supporting his family now that he has his own one. 

And even if he knows that it was quite shocking for the rest to take, well, it was there already, presenting itself.

"Great," Huiying smiles, hoping to brighten up the confused atmosphere shrouding over them. "That gives me two moms now!"

"Two?" Kris blinks. 

"Well, one being Minghuang and the other being Xiulan." Lay explains.

"Xiulan?"

"My wife." Luhan smiles.

"You're married?!"

"Yeah, yesterday."

"Then, where is your wife?! How could you leave her alone after marriage!?"

"She told me to tag along with them instead, okay? That woman leads all the decisions!"

"So," Kris softly began as he eyed the rest, preparing the questions he has been keeping for a few minutes now. "I really am not expecting you guys to drop by here. Is there a reason or something?"

"Ah, of course there is." Lay nodded before he nudges Huiying, who shook her head when she was gestured to tell what was the reason. It bugged the men why Huiying refused to tell it when in fact she had told it well to Luhan. If they think it some other way, perhaps it was because of the previous call she had with Jonathan, that made her get pushed to the verge of tears whenever she'd just think about the fact that her sister's suffering with brain tumor. 

"Huiying?" Luhan calls out.

"L-let's just say," she weakly began in a soft tone, holding back the tears she's trying to control. "That, well, Hyerin-eonni's terribly sick with a not-so-normal sickness."

"What?" Kris asks, eyes widening as if he's cracked the code in seconds. "What sickness? Is it bad?"

"It's terrible." Tao huffs. "Terribly terrible."

Again, Minghuang enters the scene, this time carrying a newly awaken baby boy innocently eyeing the foregin visitors. Upon seeing them, everyone jumps up, smiles on their faces as they see the boy in Minghuang's arms. Lay acted first, greeting the baby boy with a sweet smile, waving cutely at him. Tao and Luhan, and Xiumin as well, greeted this small bundle in Minghuang's arms, who waved at them shyly. "Is this the little Yimin you're talking about?" Xiumin asks, trying to speak in Chinese as much as possible.

"Aw, isn't he cute?" Lay grinned as he pinched Yimin's cheeks carefully. 

"He looks a lot like you, ge!" Tao remarked as he eyed Yimin, waving at him and mouthing to him something like "Hi, I'm your AB-Style uncle!" Huiying, on the other side, was just eyeing Yimin, being one that doesn't deal well with babies and kids. She could just stare at him and blink back. Noticing this, Kris eyes Huiying with a small smile and asks Minghuang to hold Yimin himself. With that, he then paces towards Huiying. "Yimin, this is your jie jie, Huiying. Say hello to her."

Huiying's eyes nearly popped out when she was shown to Yimin. Yimin smiled warmly at his "older sister", even reaching out to hold her, but of course, Huiying can only back away as she eyed Yimin, still not used to little kids and babies like him. 

"I heard you guys were talking about the eldest sibling." Minghuang says as she gets Yimin from Kris, eyeing everyone. "Hyerin's her name, right?"

"Ah, right." Luhan nodded. "In behalf of everyone, I'd like to ask permission to, well, 'borrow' Kris for a while as we fly back to Seoul." 

"Oh? Why?" Minghuang blinks as she sits beside her husband, still carrying their son. "Is there some sort of EXO reunion or something?"

"Something like that." Lay nodded. "But, there's more to that."

"Which is?" 

"Well," Tao began. "One of his 'kids', as you know, and Huiying's jie jie here, is well, sick."

"Sick?" Minghuang gasps. "My goodness, is she fine?"

"She's not." Huiying finally speaks up as she eyes Minghuang with sad, teary eyes. "My sister's extremely sick... to the point that she's dying."

"Dying?!" Kris chokes, surprising Yimin and Minghuang alike. "Wait, wait, what?!"

"Brain tumor." Luhan clears out. "She's suffering brain tumor."

"What?! H-how? Guys, if this is a joke, you better stop because—"

"Yifan, calm down." Minghuang huffs. "Of course, you can bring along Yifan."

"No, Minghuang. How about you and Yimin?" 

"We'll be fine, Yifan." Minghuang assures. "Look, pack your things, you guys can stop here for lunch, then hurry to Seoul."

"Are you sure?" Kris worriedly asks as he eyes Minghuang. "Are you two going to be fine? I mean...—"

"We will be." Minghuang smiles brightly. "We'll be fine. Besides, at this moment, your first family needs you more than I do. I mean, we're married. We're together forever, every single day, we get to see each other. Them, on the other side, won't get a chance like ours. It's just fair to have them see you again, right? I'll be fine. We will be fine."

Kris smiles and hugs his wife and son, happy that he could see his other family he wants to see for years now.