Rain

Our EXO Dads: Cador [DISCONTINUED]

 

chapter seventeen: rain

"the rain stopped and the reflection in the puddle, i see myself looking more miserable today."   

 

 

"Okay, that's the end of it! Thank you for everyone's well participation!"

With such instruction heard from the director himself, everyone clapped their hands and stretched their arms up. Everyone was definitely feeling sore and tired, and had nothing in their minds but the desire to plop down their soft beds and fall into a peaceful sleep. Each and everyone in the set were tired, they were homesick and were most definitely deprived of a proper meal and sleep. They wanted some rest. 

His eyebags were growing deeper. Those thoughts ran round and round his head as he eyed his reflection through his phone's front camera. Of course, seeing that feature grow worse, he frowned. 

"Don't take the health stuff too serious." one of the stylists, rather his close friend, reminded as she tapped his back. He was a bit taller than her by half an inch or so, so even if they were around four years apart, he acted a lot more comfortably around her. 

"I'm not trying to." he replied with a pout. "By this bags..."

"We can fix them with a bit of concealer and so. Don't worry, leave it to me!" she grinned before she gestured him to follow her. "Come along, we're returning to the hotel. Our leave'll be later around seven in the evening. Best be ready, right?"

"... Alright."

"And don't forget your owl plushie this time, understood?"

"I'm not five. I wouldn't."

"Says the one who bawled his eyes out when he forgot his first owl plushie back in Shanghai."

"Aw, shut up."

 

 

With Kai finally joining the team rather easily, everyone heads off, or is rather about to head off back to the apartment Jonathan had specially given to them. It's quite a near distanced apartment fitting for the six of them, near the place Pandora Street is actually staying in. With that, contacting them and checking them up would be easier. 

On why they were hurrying, it's because Hyerin was rather growing more and more worried by each fleeting day. It's been days since Jonathan hasn't been home and it's quite fihsy now. Surely, filming for those straight days isn't normal. Hyerin had even called him an hour or two earlier that said day, wailing out her worries and bombarding him with questions like "You lil' kid, when do you even plan on coming home?" or something like "Have you went on your own way now with your non-existent girlfriend, you fool?" or something like that.

And so, to relieve his sister, he has to at least show himself to her, right?

"It's kind a shame that we didn't get Kyungsoo to join us." Kai pouted as he leaned back.  "I miss that big-eyed freak."

"Who doesn't?" Chanyeol breathed out. "I miss his spaghetti."

"Seriously?" Chen glared.

"Who wouldn't miss his signature dish? We used to eat it all day long when we didn't do anything." the giant replied as he leaned back and stretched his legs forward, poking Baekhyun's side accidentally with his foot. Just an exchange of looks was enough for Chanyeol to retrieve his legs back. "Anyways, if ever we are to find that big-eyed Kyungie, where might we begin?"

"He's out of the country, idiot." Baekhyun glared. "He's currently shooting a movie."

"Aw, boo." Chanyeol grunted.

"I beg to differ though." Sehun suddenly intervened, his eyes locked on his handphone. Everyone's eyes, excluding Suho who was rather busy driving, instantly went on Sehun. Noticing so, he then looked up and showed his phone for everyone to see. Jonathan was first to see what was being shown, next was Baekhyun, then Chen and finally, Chanyeol, who was supposedly to see it second but with the eyeliner beagle pushing him aside for him to see, he failed so.

"What's on the phone?" Suho asks, his eyes still glued on the road.

"Kyungsoo's coming back here in Korea today." Chen exclaims in joy as he bounces up and down, careful not to hit his head on the car's roof. "And lucky us, it's around two hours or one before he lands here!"

"So... to the airport then?" Suho asks.

"On it, grandpa!" Baekhyun aggressively hisses as he tugs on Suho's arm.

"Who are you calling grandpa—"

"You are nearly forty, you fool."

"So are you."

"Can you please drive to the airport now, old men?!" Jonathan impatiently whines as he hits both Baekhyun and Suho. 

 

 

As expected, thanks to Suho's fast driving, the group successfully arrived at the airport in time. Of course, there were rather numerous fans waiting in the airport as well. Safely, the seven of them scooted in and blended in quite better than expected. Everyone was rather busy spotting out for the now famous D.O, or as they all address him as, Do Kyungsoo. A huge, Hollywood actor staring in numerous movies in and out of the country. What a lucky guy he is now, huh? 

Upon seeing him, Kai's eyes twinkled. They've been rather close friends prior, during and a few years after they went off into different paths. Seeing him again, as a popular and successful man made somethin in Kai light up. Joy. Joy due to him being proud over his bestfriend. 

Kyungsoo was walking by himself. Before, he had to hold his hand just so his shorter friend wouldn't get lost in the thick crowd. Now, he's a brave man who even walked a few feet ahead of his managers and guards. He wore those stylish sunglasses and walked with pride. Chin up high and chest out. He had grown into an independent man.

"Is that really our Kyungsoo?" Suho gasped. "He looks so.. different. Is that the power of Hollywood these days?"

"He still has the same air our ol' D.O carries." Baekhyun smiles. "Although, he did grow a bit taller. I'm guessing he's no longer the shortest amongst the twelve of us!"

"He looks so cool." Jonathan softly complimented as he observed D.O stroll down, greeting the fans with a casual wave or a small smile. "I can't believe it's the same D.O-appa."

"Hard to believe it's our squishy-Soo." Chen chuckles.

Noticing Kai's sudden silence, Chanyeol nudges the tanned latter, who rather snaps back to reality. Sehun had rather noticed that too, and taking the initiative, he asks, "Hey, is everything okay, Kai? You look a bit lighter than usual." 

"I am." Kai smiles assuringly. "It's just that... seeing your bestfriend walk like that, proud of himself and no longer dependent nor weak, it makes me so proud of him."

"Ah, right. You two were the best of buddies." Chanyeol nodded. "It's hard to believe that our shy Kyungie had grown up into a Hollywood star actor, easily putting up and flowing with his character. I've watched a movie of his, actually. He acted excellently!"

Kai can only nod, eyes still on D.O.

He hoped his bestfriend would just turn around, wave at him, or just smile at him. He didn't need to pull down his sunglasses, just turn around to his place and wave at him. That's what he asks for. Does he even remember him still? Does Kyungsoo still know him as his bestfriend "Kai"? 

Or has he, too, had forgotten?

"Kai? Kai? Kim Jongin!"

"Huh— wh-what?" Kai blinked, obviously startled by Jonathan's sudden (and disrespectful) call.

"Is it just me, or is D.O-appa rather looking this way."

"Impossible." Kai snickered as he raised his eyes to see the rising Hollywood actor. 

And as much as he hated to admit it, Jonathan was right once more.

D.O's eyes were rather locked on Kai, rather wider than usual upon seeing such face in such place at such an unexpected time. His sunglasses were down, revealing his eyes, which were locked at the place the seven of them were silently standing at. Slowly, a smile creeps up his face before he whispers something to one of the guards. The guard rather seemed dumbfounded by whatever D.O had said, but he had no time to react. The actor instantly darted away from them, surprising not only the guards, but the fans as well, and his own manager and staff too. 

The seven were surprised too. Worried, they tried to chase him down. Kai was running ahead of everyone. Obviously, he was the most worried one among the seven of them. 

Questions were running in his head.

Why was he running?

Did something happen?

Is he avoiding them?

Why was he avoiding them?

"Kyungsoo!" Kai cried on top of his voice. "Do Kyungsoo! Wait up!"

He wanted to cry. He hasn't seen that squishy, big-eyed best friend of his for years. He had lots of things to tell him. But why was he running? Has their friendship faded too like their brotherhood? Did something happen? Was he purposedly avoiding him? Or was he angry? Kai could remember that he and Kyungsoo had one unresolved fight before, and could that be the reason? Impossible, Kyungsoo forgives easily. It's impossible for that squishy man to not forgive. 

"Kyungsoo!" Kai continued to cry out. He was too busy running after Kyungsoo that he had actually forgotten about the rest chasing the same man behind him. He's forgotten that Jonathan was even there. He had completely forgotten the fact that six of his "brothers" were running behind him. Way behind him. 

"Kyungsoo, please!"

"Stop running."

Kai, stop running.

"Why are you running away, Kyungsoo?"

Why are you leaving, Kai?

"Kyungsoo, please! Stop running!"

Kai, aren't we brothers? Why are you running away?

I was tired, Kyungsoo. That's why.

That was it. Kai's breaking point. He fell on his knees, being not-so-athletic he is now, heavily panting as he tried to catch his breath. He felt sweat form on his forehead, on his back, on his nape. He felt his heart beating faster than usual. His arms were somewhat trembling for some reason. He was breathing abnormally.

But what intruiged him wasn't the familiar sensation of being out-of breath. He was surprised on why his eyes were suddenly so hot with tears. Tears that refused to roll down. The way he was continuously calling out for Kyungsoo's name... it reminded him of his foolish and immature and weak self before time.

Kyungsoo had actually did a bigger part in Kai's life. He was the one who cheered him up whenever he was down or kept him going on the positive side when he was injured or so. He would often treat him after a schedule or cook a dish only for him. He'd lull him to sleep whenever those sleepless nights came crashing on Kai. He watched him patiently in the dance room, dancing his heart out. He gave out advices to him. He was more than a simple "best friend" for Kai. He was a real brother— maybe not by blood, but somehow, he did become one. A brother Kai never had. A brother who was always there to stick up for him. To be honest, there was more in this "Kaisoo" pairing  than wha the fans had imagined. It was a simple yet tight friendship. No , no lovey-dovey, just a normal friendship any two individuals can have.

"Kyungsoo, I'm sorry." Kai suddenly mumbled as tears stremed down his eyes. He was somewhere in the airport, but he was unaware on what part of the aiport or where the others were. 

Kyungsoo, as far as he could remember, was a squishy, big-eyed man. Shorter than him and dances terribly bad. But beware, he sings excellently. Now? He acts whole heartedly, to the point that it's pretty much hard to know what kind of man he really is now. And he had a habit.

Popping out of no where.

"I'm sorry I ran off, I had to find a way out of everyone's eyes."

Kai looked up, astonished by such a familiar voice in front of him. Short legs— which had grown longer as far as he recalled them to be— stood in front of him, and once he raised his eyes, his jaw fell. Tears still streaming down his face, he eyed his one and only best friend.

"I made you cry, huh? I never knew the almighty abs-wielder has a soft side." D.O casually snickers as he kneels down to meet Kai's eyes on level. He was smiling, his lips forming a somewhat heart-shape. "It's been quite a few years, huh? Still a crybaby you are."

Overwhelmed with feelings, Kai jumped up and wrapped his arms around his best friend's neck, hugging him tightly. But a mere hug wouldn't make up for all the lost time they could've spent together, playing and being crazy and dumb they are whenever they're together. A mere hug wouldn't make up for all those stories he's dying to tell the latter. Hugging won't merely make it up for all his apologies for not being there when D.O needed a shoulder to cry on or a back to lean on. For not having someone he could casually talk about. For not having someone he could be himself to easily. 

For not being there when Kyungsoo was always there for him before.

"I missed you too." D.O whispered as he patted the tanned latter's back, listening to his sobs. "You've grown taller. And here I am, still shorter than you! Seriously, cut off with the height and donate some to me, Jongin."

"I missed you too." Kai sniffled as he pulled back, squishing his cheeks. "And I terribly mised your cheeks too."

"Much to miss about me, huh?" he pouted before he slaps his hands away. "You look fancy," he then eyes his sweaty forehead and coughs. "And sweaty."

"You suddenly ran off, what do you expect me to do? Wail like a little girl?"

"Cry out my name so at least, I would've knew?"

"I'm not stupid to gather up more attention over us, Soo. Kaisoo shippers are still out there, lurking in secret amongst the living—"

"Alright, Shakspere, cut the drama out. I'm the actor here." the shorter giggled. "How've you been?"

"Fine, you?"

"Isn't it obvious with my lack of height growth?"

Kai could only laugh as he stood up, grinning widely. Oh, how had he missed this guy.

But then, he recalled the main reason he was chasing or even, looking for this guy. From that one sunny smile he flashed upon seeing his lost-lost best friend, it turned the other way around into a gloomy frown. Noticing such changes, Kyungsoo himself mirrored Kai's frown. "What's up? You suddenly lost your smile—"

"Soo, promise me you wouldn't react badly about what I'm about to say." Kai softly says, eyes averting away from D.O's. Surprised, the shorter latter blinks and tilts his head a bit to the left in confusion.

"Why? What's wrong? You're dying?! Wait— you got someone pregnant?! I knew you were a bastard since then!" D.O hissed.

"What— no! That's not what I'm going to say."

"Then what?"

Kai gulped and held on the latter's narrow shoulder. For some reason, they never grew any broader. But it wasn't any problem anyway, narrow shoulders suited him more. "You remember Hyerin, right?" Kai asks. 

"Of course." D.O nodded happily. "Wait, I did see someone resembling Jonathan earlier. And I saw a few familiar faces too! Suho was there, right? And Baekhyun too—"

"Hyerin's dying."

Time seemingly froze for a while as D.O tried processing the words bit by bit. Finally hitting him, he gasps dramatically and blinks. "What? ... Like, dying to see me? See us? Or something worse?"

"I'm serious." Kai frowned. "Our Hyerin. Our Kim Hyerin's sick. Brain tumor's subtracting her remaining days."

As if on cue, the others had finally arrived and caught up, crying out both Kai and D.O's name. "Geez, you two sure run fast." Sehun complained as he slowly came to a stop, panting heavily, crouching with his hands on his knees. 

"Never knew Jongin here was a sprinter!" Chen huffed.

"None of us did." Chanyeol panted.

"How do you think he gets those abs?" Suho breathed out heavily. 

"Running away from the girls he spends nights with?" Baekhyun teased.

"Baekhyun-appa!"

"I see you caught up with Kyungsoo." Chanyeol grinned, wiping the sweat forming on his forehead. "I see that our squishy-Soo's still as short as ever!"

"I expected your shoulders to at least improve, D.O." Chen added, grinning along.

"I'm pretty sure messing with Hollywood-famous Kyungsoo here wouldn't be a nice decision." Sehun warned. "Who knows, he might be hiding bodygards here and there!"

The silence the two, Kai and Kyungsoo, were sharing intruiged Jonathan and Suho alike. "Something wrong? Why are you two frozen? This ain't no picture or something, you know." Baekhyun pouted, noticing the lack of movements or conversations between the two. 

"Hyerin..." D.O began in a soft tone.

"So, he told you, huh?" Jonathan frowned. "I'm sorry, appa, but we—"

"Oh my goodness— take me to my baby! Where is my baby girl! Kim Jongin, where did you park the car?! Take me to my baby girl! Mother of Krisus, my poor Hyerin!" D.O shrieked on top of his lungs as he tugged Kai by his long sleeves, running on top speed out of the airport. 

"Wha— how about your manager and guards?!" Chen cried out in surprise.

"I'll call them later! Take me to my baby girl now!"

"Yup, nothing changed. Still the same motherly Do Kyungsoo he is." Suho smiled as he ran and followed the two close behind.

As the group, with the newly added D.O, the clouds hurriedly darkened and rain poured heavily. 

Ironic to the heavens crying though.

The group, which was growing bigger and bigger, were laughing and smiling brightly, contradicting the sad weather as they ran through the rain, soaking themselves wet.