Mother

Our EXO Dads: Cador [DISCONTINUED]

 

 

 

chapter twenty seven: mother

"i'm sorry for not being unable to be honest about my feelings."   

 

 

They always say a mother and a father are a child's first best friends. That they're the first ones to help you up if you trip down and fall. That they'd be the first to wipe your tears away at times of sorrow. That they'd be the main reason you'd smile the greatest everyday. That they'd always have a special place in your heart.

Growing up as orphans, Huiying, Jonathan and Hyerin always wished to feel that certain feeling too. Every orphan's dream is to have someone to be called their "mom" or "dad" and if they're really lucky, they get to have both. The three, though they've been adopted by successful and loving foster families, never really felt the real vibe of "family". Yeah, they have a mom, a dad and a few foster siblings but they never really gave of that cozy family vibe. As for EXO, Hyerin's basically just six years younger than Kai and Sehun, so she never really can see at least everyone as a real dad. Surely, Huiying and Jonathan shared the same perspective. Aside from being too young to be called "fathers", they were more fitting in a category that falls in simply being called "family". Not necessarily "fathers", but something similar to when they're with close friends. As if they're siblings. 

"Here are all the papers you need." the orphanage's current head, the so-called "auntie"'s nephew, says as he hands a folder to Huiying and Jonathan. "If there's anything else you need, don't hesitate to tell."

"Of course." Jonathan smiled. "Thank you."

With careful hands, Joanthan opens the folder and glances at the papers. Those were papers that contained their names, their blood type— which he remembers having discovered at an early age—, the date of their arrival at the orphanage and etcetera. 

"How do we start then?" Suho, one of those who accompanied the two back in the orphanage, asks as he scoots over to get a closer look. "What's your plan?"

"Since Hyerin-eonni can't really fulfil the promise of finding our real families, we're going to do it ourselves." Huiying explains. "Using a bit of research and this files, I'm pretty sure we can do it."

"How?" the rational Baekhyun curiously asks as he eyes Jonathan and Huiying. "I'm pretty sure it's not as easy as how it's portrayed in the drama."

"Don't look down on them, Baekhyun." Xiumin reminds as he pats the younger's shoulder. "We're talking about a mature Jonathan and the genius Huiying here! There's nothing impossible for this tandem."

"Still."

"We'll find a way, somehow." Jonathan assures as he smiles brightly at the members of EXO accompanying them. "Well, we're capable of coming up to where we are now, finding our real families shouldn't be much of a trouble here—"

"This is your family you're talking about." Lay argued as he crosses his arms. "There's nothing easy locating your real families especially if you don't have a head start. You got no ideas on who or where your families are, so it'll be really difficult. At least find some head starters first or something."

"And that's how? We don't know any expert in doing that." Suho frowned.

"Yeah, but I can be one." Huiying smiles as she stands up. "Let's head back home, do some research and all!"

 

 

Considering the resting Hyerin whose situation's growing worse, everyone observed silence as they went through their everday lives. Members, who have families left behind due to this "project" or whatever it is called, took time to call them and ask if they are fine. Luhan had a video call with his wife back in China, and to his relief she's doing just fine. Kris had the same video call with his wife, who assures him that she's fine and that their son really misses him. Kai and Sehun contacted theirs too, the worry in the females not hidden. Kai's girlfriend continuously asked if he's fine and when he'd return. Sadly, Kai couldn't assure her an exact date. Daeun told Sehun that she greatly misses him, and to comfort her, Sehun promises her a grand gift and date once he returns.

"How's the research going?" Tao questions as he slumps towards Huiying, who's busy in her laptop. Jonathan's currently taking care of Hyerin, since it's his turn today, so it leave Huiying to do all the typing and researching stuff. "Found any hints?"

"Not yet." Huiying shakes her head as she leans back, stretching up her arms. "Nothing's a worthy head starter."

"What have you found so far?"

"I'm currently scanning all the birth dates in every hospital here, in China and in U.S. Hopefully, me, Hyerin-eonni and Jo-oppa are registered in one of these. It's most likely that we're all born here in Korea since we were brought to the orphanage as babies in their early months. It's impossible that we were born in another country, flew here in Korea just to drop us off." Huiying explains.

"What about your name?" Chanyeol asks as he scoots closer to Huiying and Tao. "I mean, chances of your names now not being the names registered in the hospital is possible. And your birthdates too. How're you going to do this?"

"The birthdates might be manipulated, but the blood type and year date. All of us came at this particular year as babies, so it's possible that our date years didn't really change. I'm sure I'm twenty-two this year since I arrived in the orphanage as, literally, a baby around five or six months old? I don't know." she says as she continues typing. "As for the blood type, we had it tested. Hyerin-eonni's a type O, Jo-oppa's a type B and I'm a type A. I can search through that way too."

"Won't that be tiring and time-wasting?" a worried Sehun asks.

"If it means finding our real families, I'm willing to do so." Huiying nodded as she eyes all the results of people born under type A-blood type in the year 2005. "Let's see if we can find a 'Chang' surname." she whispers to herself as she continues scrolling down. "Chang... Chang..."

"Is 'Chang' even your real surname?" Chanyeol questions.

"I think it is." she softly mumbles. "That's what auntie said— oh, there it is!"

"Is what?" Jonathan overhears as he runs towards Huiying.

"There's actually a Chang Huiying here! The same year, the same blood type!" Huiying excitedly screeches as a wide grin crawls up from her face. 

"Suddenly," they hear Baekhyun speak from the kitchen while he gobbles some fruits. "This situation we're all in? It all seems to be like clean-cut from a drama. Add the fact that Huiying found her name in seconds!"

"She's a genius, what do you expect?" Suho laughed. "It says your parents' name, right?"

"Yeah." she nodded. "Let's see... apparently my mother's named Cho Yeongwan, and my father's named... Eric Chang."

"Now, the next thing to do then is?" 

"Go to the hospital." Huiying says as she jumps up and grabs her shoulder bag. "Anyone want to accompany me? No? Alright, I'll be off then! I'll make sure I'll be back at around eight or something!" she giddily jumps as she runs to the front door.

"Chang Huiying, at least let Tao accompany you— and she's gone." D.O huffs as he continues to slice the onions. "That kid's really something. Born genius and a really child-like spirit. She never just changes."

"Why the sad face now, Jonathan?" Kris asks as he pats the younger's back.  

"It's great that Huiying's got a head start on where she can find her family now." Jonathan smiles sadly. "Do you think she'd leave us now? Or maybe forget us now that she can locate her family? ... What if me and Hyerin-noona don't get to find ours?"

"First of all," he hears Suho begin as he swings an arm around Jonathan. "You three grew up to be like a real family. Like real blood siblings. I'm pretty sure Huiying's a smart type and Hyerin's the rational one, and neither of them would ditch you just because they found their families. You wouldn't neither, right? You'll get to find yours too. Besides, this is just her headstart. It's not sure if she'd really locate her parents."

"... You're right." Jonathan nodded as he huffs. "You're right."

 

 

The hospital she turns out to be born didn't seem far at all. Thank goodness it's in Seoul, or else, she might have some difficulty roaming around. It's been years, yes, but she never really can go out roaming by her own, or she'd get lost. 

Dressed simply and eyes covered with sunglasses to avoid any attention, Huiying hurries and crosses roads, walking down the streets as she heads towards the said hospital. Sure, she could go by car, but unfortunately, Xiumin's using their car as he, Luhan and Chen goes grocery shopping. She just hopes there won't be any scratches in their car and that the three of them could go home safe (considering that they still have a ranging popularity up until now). 

On the way to her destination, she just couldn't help noticing these lovely blooming buds displayed in this particular flower shop. She isn't really much of a nature-girl, but flowers just had this special touch to her heart. She remembers that one time, when she was maybe four or five, Hyerin and Jonathan went all the way through to make her birthday all flowery and stuff. They even made her a flower crown they made themselves from real flowers. 

She just couldn't resist it, and the next thing she learns is that she entered this flower shop. Well, Hyerin really favors plants, so maybe if she purchases a bonsai or brought home a bouquet of flowers, it'd cheer their sister up. Surely! Surely, it will.

"Ah, good morning, ma'am." the florist, as she sees is around her late forties, greeted with a smile as she bows. 

"Good morning." she greeted back as she bows politely before she inches towards the flowers displayed. There were various, colorful flowers displayed on the rack and bonsai and small topiaries placed orderly in a different rack. Her eyes twinkled in adoration with these plants. The mixture of green and various colors were just like a pleasant food for her eyes. "Excuse me, what do you suggest giving to a sick person, auntie?" she asks as she eyes the florist.

"Planning on giving a sick person some beautiful flowers, huh?" the florist laughs as she inches her way towards Huiying. Now that she's seen her up close, she doesn't really look that old. Her black hair tied in a neat ponytail, her face still radiating a youthful vibe, her skin still as fair as snow, her thin lips tainted lightly with a light pinkish color and her small eyes smiling back at her. "We've got packages, just so you'd know." she says as she grabs an album filled with pictures of bouquets. "We have this package called 'Rose and Lily Celebration', 'Spring Floral Garden', 'Best Wishes Bouquet', 'Bright Blue Skies Bouquet'—"

"Actually," she interupts as she shyly plays with her fingers. "By any chance, do you know the language of these flowers? I'd like to give my sister a meaningful bunch of flowers."

"How sweet of a sister you are! Yes, I do know the language of flowers, by any chances." she laughs as she points at one of the flowers. "Those Azaleas over there? They are those that say 'take care of yourself for me'. Those white Hyacinths can say 'I'll pray for you'. Those white Heathers over there? See that? Those say 'wishes will come true'. Dandelions symbolize faithfulness and happiness."

"These are Primroses, right?" Huiying smiles as she points at anothe flower. "I've heard they say 'I can't live without you', correct?"

"Why, yes." the florist nodded, a bright smile on her face. "I guess kids these days are still interested in flowers."

"I just... seem to be fond of them. My sister kind of influenced me into these things."

"Ah, your sister is a nice lassie then." she grins. "If she's great with plants, she's great with people. That's how it goes. If a person's gentle and loving to plants, chances are they deal with people well. They're patient, they're careful, they're caring. They're perfect."

"I can agree on that. Eonni's everything you said, auntie." she laughs.

The sweet sound of laugh fills the small flower shop. Huiying actually enjoyed pointing out at flowers and listening to this florist's words as she easily says what message they have. The sound of the flower shop's door suddenly being pushed aggressively open by an angry-looking man soon broke the serenity in the place, bringing surprise and fear to the female. "Yo, old lady!" this guy cries out as he makes his way towards the florist. "I've been asking and waiting for my order for days now? Where is it?! I need 'em!"

"Ah, sir, I told you," the florist nervously explains, her voice shaking. "T-the flowers you've asked are not yet available. The delivery will be made next week and by then, I'll make sure to inform you so you can—"

"Next week?! Are you joking? I need them now!" he hisses as he didn't hesitate to hit a few pots of plants in his way, breaking them and making the florist flinch and Huiying, shocked with disbelief. "I've been waiting for days now, old lady! I want my flowers now!"

"Sir, please—"

"Please what?! I don't care if you're an old lady or whatever, I need 'em now! I paid a lot for them, and if you don't bring 'em now, I'm going to sue you and ask for my money back!"

"Sir, please. My son is sick—"

"Who cares if your son's sick? Hella, I don't care if your son's dying!"

That's it.

"Excuse me, that's going way overboard." Huiying steps in as she glares at the man. He seems to be in his thirties, or maybe a few years older than Hyerin. He doesn't look any buff at all, but he did emit quite a fearsome aura. "You heard her, right? She's trying to do all she can but the deliveries of the flowers are going to be delayed. She's asking you to wait some more, sir."

"And who the hell are you?" the man spat out as he looked down at Huiying, pushing her back as he mockingly laughs at her. "Thinking you can stand up to me and stuff? Hah, think again, kid. I can sue you anytime for interfering."

"I should be the one to sue you for suddenly crashing here, breaking the shop's properties and disrespecting an elderly. Do you not learn from school? The rules and regulations? You can get imprisoned with this disrespect of yours."

"You? Send me to jail?" he laughs as he corners Huiying, raising a fist in order to threaten her,  "You're a kid, what can you do? And who are you to do anything at all?"

"Who am I?" Huiying chuckles as she removes her glasses and glares up at the older male with burning eyes. "I am Chang Huiying, member of the global-hit co-ed group Pandora Streets, under SM Entertainment. I can call my manager within seconds, and he'll come here in the speed of lighting. Never underestimate an idol, sir. Once you mess with the media, scary things might happen."

As if the word 'idol' inflicted great fear on him, he hurriedly retreats and gasps. Huiying then shows her phone, captures a picture of him with his wrong deed and smirks. "I've got enough evidence. I've recorded your filthy talking, taken a picture and the speed dial to Mr. Kim Youngmin or my manager is just one click away. Or would you like me to call my fans for back-up? You never know how many Pyxis are simply walking out there, ready for battle. Pyxis is one scary fandom."

He backs away some more.

"I'd like you to pay for the damage you've caused now." Huiying instructs as she stretches her small hands out. "And if you refuse, I will post these evidences online for the whole public to see."

"T-this is scamming! You're literally robbing me of money!"

"You really never learned about the laws, did you? You broke some of this shop's properties and it's the breaker's responsibility to change or to pay for them, whether you like it or not." she says in full seriousness as she shows her phone again. "Or we can do it the hard way?"

"Nrgh, fine!" he spat out angrily as he digs in his wallet, grabbing for a good stack of money and throwing it at Huiying. "There's your money, you psyche!"

"Ah-ah. A true man hands money to a lady properly, not throwing it. You're still the one at fault here." she shrugs.

Another grumble and this man begins to pick up the money, hand it to her before he angrily walks out of the shop. Huiying simply smiled to herself before she walks towards the florist, worried eyes on her. "Are you okay, auntie?"

"Y-yes. Ah, that kid really bugs me whenever he makes orders." the old florist sighs as she receives the money in Huiying's hands. "I never knew you're an idol! You're really humble and so... natural looking. Tha-thank you for helping me. I really appreciate that."

"That guy really did something wrong, to start with." Huiying smiles. "It's always great to help."

"I-I must repay you! Pick out any and as much flowers you'd like and I'd give it to you for free! I promise." she grins as she holds Huiying's hand. A sudden spark somewhat makes through Huiying, but after looking at the florist's hoping eyes, she smiles and shakes her head.

"No, no, it's fine. I don't need any repayment or what. Simply helping you is enough." she grins as she points at a few flowers. "I'll have those, auntie. And here's the payment." she smiles as she grabs money from her wallet.

"Oh— this is too much!" the florist gasps.

"It's fine. You did say your son's in a terrible condition. How is he?" Huiying worriedly asks.

"He's trying to get well, and hopefully, he does get well." the florist breathed out as she caerfully picks out a specific number of those chosen flowers for Huiying. "Ah, my poor Minsu..."

"Minsu?" Huiying blinked. "Is that his name? It's a wonderful name."

"Thank you." the florist smiles.

"Is he an only child?" Huiying asks as she watches the florist wrap the flowers nicely.

"He... is, with my second husband, but..." she pauses for a brief moment before shakily breathing out. "He has an older sister with my first husband."

"Really?" Huiying smiles as she continues to watch. "Minsu must be really lucky to have such a hard-working mother like you, auntie."

Huiying isn't really sure if it was the air suddenly going thick or the sudden silence that rose in the air. "Lucky? A mother like me?" the florist bitterly laughs as she bits her lower lip. "... I wish I can be proud of myself too. I'm nothing but a useless mother, Miss Huiying."

"Oh, why not? You're running this shop on your own, growing flowers magnificently! What's not to be proud of that?"

"Yes, this place is indeed wonderful, but it is nothing compared to what I did in the past."

"Pardon?"

"If I were just to be a little more mature and logical that time, then maybe... just maybe, I'd still have my baby girl with me up until now."

Huiying froze. "B-baby girl?"

"Minsu's sister." she explains. "I was so young back then. I didn't know what to do. I was too hasty and that... led me to loosing my first born."

"I don't really want to nose around but..." Huiying hesitated. "But... what happened to your daughter, auntie?"

"I..." she bites her lower lip again as she tries to hold in her tears. "I abandoned her. I left her in an orphanage and, oh— I'm being emotional— and left. I didn't know what else to do. I couldn't support myself, what more my daughter?"

"H-how about your first husband?"

"He's a total jerk. He left me when he found out that I gave birth to her. My parents refused to keep me in with a child, so I had no choice but to leave her in an orphanage. Oh, if only I was smart enough, I wouldn't have left her! I was so afraid of responsibilities and I..." she was sobbing now.

"Auntie," Huiying softly whispers as she pats the florist's back. Suddenly listening to a backstory of hers wanted to pull out the tears from Huiying herself. Something in that florist just made her all so emotional. It was as if... she's someone she should know.

"And you know.. what's funny?" she laughs as she wipes her tears from her eyes. "You've got the same name with her, Huiying."

"Excuse me?" she blinked.

"The exact same name." she nodded as she reaches out to touch Huiying's face. "If only I'm with her, I'm pretty sure she'd be as beautiful as you are. Ah, my precious little genius, Huiying..."

The same spark came rushing back to Huiying as the tears suddenly pooled in her eyes. She simply smiles back before she senses a presence behind her, just to discover that it came from a small boy, around the age of thirteen or so. He was coughing, his stance saying that he isn't feeling well. Huiying saw how his face is so pale and sweaty, his black hair shooting in all directions. "Mom," he croaks out as he rubs his eyes before coughing. "I heard some noise. Is everything okay?"

"Ah, Minsu!" the florist gasps, running towards her son as she cups his cheeks. "You're awake. Are you okay? How're you feeling? A bit better?"

"What happened? The shop's a mess." Minsu coughed as he eyed the broken pots a few feet away before eyeing Huiying. As if he realizes her, he gasps and his eyes widens. "Wait, aren't you... Huiying-noona from Pandora Street?!"

"I should guess you're a fan." she grins as she walks towards him, putting her hand over his forehead. "You're burning. Are you okay?"

"Y-yes." he coughed and choked, completely astonished by her presence. "Oh my gosh, you really are here! I'm a big fan of yours! I always admired your dancing and— ahem— your style! I mean, you can be cute and y at the same time and... I just can't believe you're here!"

"Well, I am here." she giggles, completely adoring how Minsu is acting towards her. "Say, you should try and get well, okay, Minsu? Your mom here'll be worried if you keep getting sick! I'll be worried too! Make sure you get well and be healthy, okay?"

"Of course!"

"Promise noona!" she grins as she sticks out her pinky, which Minsu didn't hesitate to wrap his pinky around to. A wide grin crept up of Minsu's face and as if by magic, his colors returned. It brought joy to Huiying herself, and as if another genius idea popped in her head, she grabs for her phone and looks at Minsu. "Say, let's cherish this moment, yeah? I know that meeting their idols is a great thing for fans!" she giggled as she raises her phone at a perfect angle, capturing Minsu and the florist in the frame. "Alright, say kimchi!" 

FLASH.

"Oh, let's take one in my phone too!" Minsu suggested as he digs for his phone before raising it above level. 

"How about I take a picture of you two?" the florist says, making Minsu and Huiying nod happily as her son hands her his phone. With Huiying and Minsu standing side by side with wide grins, the florist carefully takes a picture and smiles. "You two look so natural together for some reason. It's like you two're siblings."

"Mom!"

"Okay, okay, I'm kidding." she laughs.

"We do look cute!" Huiying giggled as she leans in to see their picture. "Say, when we meet again, make sure you remember me, alright? Because I'm remembering you and your mother here. Oh, and when you attend any show with Pandora Street in it, make sure you contact one of our staff or maybe our manager, okay? I need to know your name so I can tell them who to let in to see us."

"Minsu. Full name, Heo Minsu."

"Heo Minsu. Alright. I'll tell everyone to let a guy named Heo Minsu see us backstage." she grins before she ruffles Minsu's hair. "Stay healthy, okay?"

"I will!"

"And you too, auntie." she grins as she eyes the florist.

"Aw, sweetie, you can call me Mrs. Cho." she giggled.

Cho?

"Cho?" she blinked. "I... don't mean to ask, but..." she hesitates as she grins awkwardly. "M-may I know your full name, auntie?"

"It's Cho Yeonghwan." she grinned. 

"Cho Yeonghwan." she smiles before she nodded. "Well! It's great meeting you, Mrs. Cho, Minsu. I'll see you soon, if I can. I'll drop by here in the flower shop once more if I have some time."

"Oh, do so! I'll give you free flowers." the florist grinned.

"No need, Mrs. Cho!" Huiying laughed as she grabbed her bag's strap before she waves and heads out, a wide smile on her face as she carries the bouquet of flowers. She's just two steps away from the door when she turns around and looks at Mrs. Cho and Minsu with a grin on her face. She runs back and looks for something among the flowers and within seconds, her expression brightened as she reaches her hand out to grab one of the flowers. Huiying then faces Mrs. Cho and hands her a pink Camellia flower, lilies, and a red and pink Carnation. With a smile on her face, she bows once more and takes her leave.

She hurriedly goes out of the flower shop, a smile still glued on her face while her eyes slowly pooled with tears. It was a surprise for her to bump into Tao, who wore some casual clothing and a snapback, just to cover his face.

"There you are!" Tao exclaimed in Chinese as he finally runs across Huiying. "Geez, the guys sent me to follow you but I lost you somewhere. Where've you been?"

"I..." she smiled as she tried to speak in Chinese, tears flowed down her eyes. "I met her."

"Her?"

"... Yeah. A very special woman." she grins as she tries to wipe away the tears in her face. Tao simply blinks in confusion before he eyes a particular flower shop he figures Huiying had came from. 

"Did you go to that flower shop? I thought you were heading to the hospital to find more clues about your family?"

"I don't need to anymore." she smiles with teary eyes. "I found her already."

"Again, who is this 'her' you're referring to?"

"My mother." she grins as she hugs Tao. "I found her."

"Y-you did?! Where?"

"She's a florist. She has a husband and a son named Minsu." she sobbed. "She's really happy."

"R-really? Does she know you're, like, her missing daughter?"

"She doesn't need to know. She'd know eventually." 

"What? You didn't tell her? That you're her missing daughter?"

Silence.

"Huiying? Why?"

"She seems happy and content now. She didn't mean to abandon me neither. My dad... he's a jerk for leaving mom behind when she needs her the most. Mom's strong, but not this strong when she had me. She has legit reasons on why she left me. She wanted me to be safe, and to not risk the chances of me having a difficult life." she explains in between sobs. "I understand her."

"Sure?"

"I'm sure."

"But... what if she doesn't get to know that you're, well, her daughter?"

"It's fine with me." she smiles as she closes her eyes, still hugging Tao. "As long as I know she's my mom, I'm fine."

Huiying simply smiled to herself.

She's sure her mother would know siince they speak the same language only they can understand.

The Camellia, the lilies, the Carnations.

"I'm longing for you. My heart aches for you and I'll never forget you, mom."