Ephemeral: Baekhyun/Minseok

Words Aren't Enough

Baekhyun's moods vary around Minseok from one day to the next.


Minseok is an observer. He full-out admits it. He doesn’t like being the center of attention and he would much rather listen than join in the conversation.

 

The others are usually fine with that. They know Minseok is naturally quite so they never expect too much of him when talking, only prodding gently from time to time to make sure he still feels included.

 

Baekhyun is different.

 

He loves to talk and is usually the main one in conversations, initiating them more so than anyone else. Minseok is fine with that-except when that means Baekhyun will pester him endlessly about the most trivial things.

 

“But which do you think hyung? From this angle or this one?” Baekhyun demonstrates both, looking to Minseok hopefully. The elder sighs, shrugging.

 

“I think they’re both fine.”

 

“Well yeah but one has to be more so than the other. Can’t disappoint my fans!” He flashes a cheeky smile before gazing back at the camera, his forehead furrowed in thought. “I think I’m going to do this one hyung. It matches me more so than the other one, but I think next time I’ll have to do that one. You can’t use the same angle in a row, that’s just thoughtless.”

 

Minseok blows air out of his cheeks as Baekhyun continues to chatter. He likes him, he really does, but sometimes the younger just doesn’t know when to stop. It is just a selca. It’s not something that requires hours of thought. But apparently to Baekhyun it is something much more important than anything else.

 

“Do you want to take one with me?” Baekhyun slides next to Minseok excitedly, slinging an arm around his shoulder. It’s not like Minseok was in the middle of anything. Of course not.

 

The elder doesn’t answer because Baekhyun is already taking the picture, smiling widely. Minseok sighs but manages to look happy as the singer takes a few, just in case the first one wasn’t good enough.

 

“It turned out well hyung! I like this one,” Baekhyun tells him, tapping through the pictures. “I’m going to show the others.” He skips from the room happily, leaving Minseok alone.

 

The eldest finally takes a breath, shaking his head affectionately. He can only take Baekhyun’s talking for so long.

 

“Finally, quiet.”

 

The next day is different.

 

They have a photo shoot combining both EXO M and K, instead of being individual. It’s a very relaxed shoot, very laid-back and natural. They don’t have too much direction, just to act how they usually would, very casual.

 

Minseok doesn’t notice at first but as time goes on, he starts to pick up on a few things.

 

Baekhyun is completely ignoring him. He’s clinging mostly to the ones closer in his age, disregarding Minseok completely.

 

Minseok is fine with that for now. After all, they had a lot of bonding time yesterday. Baekhyun wants to spend time with other members and that’s perfectly reasonable. Minseok is a little glad, just so he won’t have to deal with Baekhyun’s endless chatter.

 

Although he finds himself missing the singer’s smile. Just a little bit. He’s grateful for time to think and reflect but the smile was nice.

 

Oh well. Minseok shrugs, coming back from the dressing room. He had just passed Baekhyun in the hallway and the younger hadn’t even looked at him. That’s fine.

 

He’s probably preoccupied with their comeback or getting his parts right or something. They all are.

 

After practice the next day, Minseok volunteers to sit in the back of the van. There’s actually a lot of room back there and he wants to stretch out, maybe catch some sleep, on the way back to the dorms.

 

Surprisingly, Baekhyun wants to sit back there with him too. He doesn’t talk to Minseok, just stares out the window with his thigh pressed warmly against the elder’s.

 

Minseok lays his head back, closing his eyes and ignoring Baekhyun. He doesn’t know what the younger is thinking but he supposes it’s nothing important if he’s not addressing it. He’ll talk when he’s ready.

 

He feels something weigh on his shoulder and opens his eyes, looking down. Baekhyun’s head had fallen comfortably in the crook of Minseok’s neck and the singer snuggles closer to him, almost subconsciously. He’s very warm, probably still heated from practice, and curls up like a puppy.

 

“Hyung, you’re comfortable,” he says softly, eyes still closed. His breath is hot on Minseok’s neck and tickles him a bit but the elder is fine with that.

 

“Sleep then,” Minseok tells him, smiling gently. It’s times like these that remind him how great it is to be the oldest. He likes to listen but he also likes to take care of people, and being with Baekhyun is knocking them both out at once.

 

Baekhyun nods, letting out a contented sigh. It’s hard to believe this is the same person that ignored his presence yesterday but Baekhyun is just like that. His moods vary from one day to the next. Minseok has gotten used to it by now but it still takes him by surprise sometimes when he’s not expecting it. He calls Baekhyun’s moods ephemeral only in his head, never to the younger’s face.

 

But he knows Baekhyun wouldn’t care that much anyway. He’s never given the elder any reason for it but Minseok is fine with that. He doesn’t need an explanation, as long as every time Baekhyun always finds his way back.


A/N: I really liked the ending for this one. Don't know why.