Conniption: Zitao/Jongdae

Words Aren't Enough

Sometimes only Jongdae is able to calm Zitao down.


“Zitao, open up.”

There’s slight movement from inside but nothing more. It’s definitely an improvement from the crying that had been happening for the past half hour but still not something that should be happening in the first place.

“Zitao, I know you’re in there.”

“Go away hyung!”

Jongdae sighs. He can clearly hear the sobs still stuck in Zitao’s throat and it hurts him. But he needs the younger to stop wallowing in self-pity and get back up, back to the kindhearted diva he knows he is.

“I was trying to be nice about this,” he mutters to himself, turning the doorknob. Zitao thought he had locked it but apparently not as Jongdae easily opens the door.

Immediately he ducks, dodging a pillow that was thrown at him. He raises an eyebrow at Zitao who glares at him, throwing another one.

Jongdae catches it and comes closer to Zitao, sitting on the bed beside him. “Really? A pillow? That’s the best you can do?” He wrinkles his nose.

Zitao frowns, tear tracks still evident on his face. “Go away hyung. I don’t want company now.” He shoves Jongdae but the elder barely flinches. Zitao may be a wushu master but he’s not strong.

“Well too bad. You’re going to get it anyhow.”

“No hyung! I didn’t come here to be by myself for fun! I want to be alone.” Zitao turns away from him and buries his head in a pillow, letting out a muffled wail.

Jongdae sighs. "I hear you've been giving the others trouble. What's making you talk back to your hyungs?" Jongdae is kind of annoyed that they made him go check on Zitao. No one wants to confront the younger when he's in one of his moods but apparently Jongdae must have signed up for it somewhere and he doesn't remember it because the rest of the members always stuck him on Zitao.

Not that he actually minds too much. He knows he's a good listener and he can make the others smile when they're feeling bad but is that really a good reason for him to have to comfort the maknae?

"I didn't talk back to them," mumbles Zitao softly. "They wouldn't leave me alone."

“I can’t let you wallow in sadness for too long now, can I? It’s not healthy,” Jongdae teases lightly. He’s sure if he could see the rapper’s face, he would be sporting at least a faint smile.

“Cause you’re all about healthy,” comes Zitao’s stifled reply. Jongdae rolls his eyes. How can Zitao still be so sassy even now when he’s crying? He really is a diva.

But he’s also such a sweetheart. He likes attention, likes to be spoiled and coddled and given care. It can be tiring sometimes.

But he also gives that out in return. He is super clingy at times but he’s also very kindhearted towards everyone, always seeing the good in them. Sometimes even before they see it. Zitao likes the spotlight but he also knows how to share it.

“Zitao, just talk to me,” he coaxes gently. “You don’t have to tell me what’s wrong. I don’t need specifics or details or anything. Just let it out. It’ll make you feel better, trust me.”

Zitao sniffles. At least it means he’s listening. “I don’t mean to be trouble. I really don’t. It just…sort of happens, you know?” He starts to talk faster. “I’m the maknae and all and I act like it, really I do, but I know you don’t like it and sometimes it just feels like that’s how I’m supposed to act, even if it’s actually me.”  His words are running together, a mix of Korean and Chinese that Jongdae barely understands. Zitao does that when he’s stressed, excited, angry, or sleepy. Jongdae has grown used to it by now but that doesn’t make it any easier to understand.

“Mind repeating that one more time?”

“Hyung!” whines Zitao through the pillow and Jongdae chuckles quietly, starting to rub soothing circles on the younger’s back. If his words don’t work, usually that’s the next best thing to getting him to calm down.

“See? Don’t you feel better?”

The rapper hesitates. He doesn’t want to admit his hyung is right when he’s supposed to be mad. But it did help. “A little.”

“That’s what I thought.” They stay in silence for a bit, a nice reprieve from Zitao’s little conniption that Jongdae had to deal with. Once again, he’s worked his magic and Zitao is calm. He just needed time, is all.

“Thanks.”

Smiling gently, Jongdae moves his hand up and ruffles the younger’s hair before continuing to rub his back. “Not a problem. Do you want-”

“Can we,” Zitao breaks in shyly, his voice still suppressed a bit by the pillow. “Can we stay like this for a little bit? Please?”

Jongdae’s smile grows wider, even if the younger can’t see it. “Well since you said please.”