Underling: Minseok/Zitao

Words Aren't Enough

Minseok doesn't treat Zitao like he's younger and it makes him wonder.


“You didn’t have to do that hyung,” Zitao says earnestly, following Minseok, almost like a puppy, to the kitchen.

 

“Do what?” the elder asks absentmindedly, starting to make their grocery list. Minseok is usually not the one to make the list, just to actually get the food but he has

free time so why the heck not.

 

“You know…help me get out. Or go out.” Zitao flushes slightly because that’s probably one of the most pathetic sentences he’s ever said and could it be more embarrassing?

 

“Get out?” Minseok raises his head to meet the other’s gaze before recognition flares in his eyes. “Oh, you just mean to go out alone?”

 

“Yeah. That.” Zitao had been in a heated discussion with his other hyungs about wanting to go out by himself, without any of them. Of course they disagreed, saying he needed someone since he was the maknae and on top of that, could be distracted easily and a whole lot of other things that Zitao just tuned out after a while.

 

But Minseok had backed him up, saying what could happen? And since he’s the oldest, the others reluctantly agreed but not without giving Zitao a thousand and one rules.

 

“It’s not a problem Zitao-ah,” Minseok smiles, ruffling his hair. “You’re old enough to take care of yourself.”

 

“You think so?” Zitao isn’t so sure. He’s so used to the others wanting to take care of him that he never really thought of himself as capable of going by himself.

 

Okay, that’s kind of a lie. It’s more Zitao isn’t used to going out by himself.

 

“Of course.”

 

Zitao beams and thanks his hyung again before leaving the kitchen, wanting to get out before even Minseok changed his mind.

 

“Don’t forget a coat!” Minseok calls out after him.

 

The next day they’re at the screening for their new MV. It’s a little bit different from their others, a little darker, a little ier and of course, Zitao is being lectured by his hyungs on what he can and cannot do or wear.

 

“They’re so annoying hyung! Honestly, it’s not like I’m walking around on the streets in this,” complains Zitao, turning around in the mirror to have a better look at his shirt. The back is black mesh, a stark contrast to the tight leather of the front. He had been told it was ‘too y’ for him but Minseok had merely said “I like it” and that was the end of that.

 

“They probably think I’m going to sneak it out and wear it out clubbing or something,” Zitao continues, scowling at his reflection. He really likes this shirt too.

 

“You’re not even old enough to go clubbing,” points out Minseok, watching the younger from the couch. They had just finished getting their makeup done and were now waiting for the others to be ready as well.

 

“Well yeah, but still. They don’t trust me at all.” Zitao pouts, crossing his arms over his chest and narrowing smudged, kohl-lined eyes. “Hey hyung, would you take me clubbing if I asked you to?”

 

Minseok raises his eyebrows at the maknae’s mischievous expression. “And you wonder why they don’t trust you.”

 

“It’s just a question,” Zitao defends himself, settling by the eldest on the couch. “But would you? I just want to know.”

 

Minseok shrugs. “Maybe.”    

 

“Really?” Zitao’s surprised. He for sure wasn’t expecting a ‘maybe’ but Minseok had always been kind of laid back about these things, even though he is the oldest EXO member.

 

“You’re responsible enough. I wouldn’t let you go alone, obviously, but with me or one of the others, sure.”

 

Zitao nods, leaning his head back on the cushions.  “For being the eldest hyung, you’re still so calm about things like that. I know that the others wouldn’t be comfortable with it at all. I’d probably just get a lecture or something.”

 

“You’re old enough so I can’t tell you what to do-for the most part anyway. As long as it’s nothing illegal of course.”

 

“Of course,” Zitao agrees, slightly insulted but knowing that the other’s joking. “I’m not five you know.”

 

He does like that Minseok is so cool with a lot of things. He doesn’t really treat Zitao like he’s the maknae, like someone who needs constant care and attention.

Zitao loves that but sometimes he wants to be looked at like the adult he is. Or tries to be, anyway.

 

Zitao knows he can be difficult sometimes but that’s not really an excuse for the others to baby him. Minseok never does make him seem like the makane, like an underling, and it’s a nice relief for Zitao.

 

"I know. Besides," Minseok smiles and winks at him. "Trying to stop you from doing what you want is too troublesome and it gives me a headache."


A/N: I rather liked this one. Some hyung/maknae bonding time.

It's also my birthday tomorrow but here's a present for all of you anyway! <3 You deserve it for subscribing and commenting and reading my story anyway. Hope you enjoy it.

Until next time darlings.