Imperceptible: Joonmyun/Sehun

Words Aren't Enough

Joonmyun doesn't understand Sehun sometimes.


Joonmyun sighs in frustration, running a hand through his hair as he gazes at the maknae in front of him. Why does he have to be so complicated? “I already said you can’t come. You can’t just go to the others to ask.”

 

Sehun pouts, making himself look even more like the youngest. “But why? I ‘m not a kid anymore hyung, I can handle it.”

 

“I know you’re not a kid but as the maknae-”

 

“Just because I’m the maknae you don’t have to treat me like it. I want to come.”

 

Joonmyun wouldn’t have been surprised if Sehun stomped his foot to accompany his tantrum. But of course he didn’t, having more sense than that even if he is the youngest. “You wouldn’t have fun. It would be boring and you can’t drink anyways. Maybe next time.”

 

“But hyung-”

 

“You’re staying.”

 

Sehun scowls but Joonmyun holds his ground. It’s the end of the conversation and they both know it but Sehun’s stubbornness seems to be holding him back.

 

Finally the blond huffs. “You’re not being fair,” he throws over his shoulder as he stalks away, probably back to his room.

 

Joonmyun sighs again as he hears the door slam. He knows he’s probably going to be getting the silent treatment from the younger for a little while now.

 

He thinks Joonmyun likes being the one to tell him no? Joonmyun hates it. He hates having to be the responsible one, the one to always shoot down ideas and restrict the others. He hates being the one that has to always worry about safety and consequences when the others don’t have a care in the world.

 

But someone’s got to do it and being the leader, Joonmyun is the most obvious choice.

 

He really wishes he didn’t have to do it. He sees no harm in Sehun coming along with them as they get a few drinks-nothing much because they have practice tomorrow-but the kid is still underage. He’d be there and have to watch the others have a fun time because he’s not allowed and Joonmyun knows it’d make him miserable.

 

Besides, he would have enough trouble in keeping the others in check when they’ve been drinking, let alone also keeping an eye on Sehun. He can only do so much at once.

 

And Sehun’s the maknae for crying out loud. Joonmyun has to take care of the others but his main job is usually looking after Sehun. He’s not a child anymore but he is the youngest and Joonmyun’s responsibility. If something happens to him, Joonmyun would be the one at fault.

 

He doesn’t want anything to happen to the younger and makes sure of that, always checking up on him more than the others. His inner umma coming out, he supposes. But he can’t help it.

 

Being the leader has its perks but having to be the bad guy every time is not one of them.

 

After they get back, Joonmyun falls into bed, exhausted. They have a busy schedule tomorrow and he had to make sure everyone else was ready for bed before he could go to sleep himself. It was hard, since they were a little bit tipsy which made them even more unreasonable than usual.

 

But Joonmyun prevailed because he’d done it before.

 

It was bad though. When they came home, Sehun was still locked in his room and ignoring everyone. It was hard though, since some were practically yelling at each other in the hallway.

 

Joonmyun had knocked on the door, asking if Sehun had eaten. All he had gotten was silence and he had sighed, just reminding him to go to sleep soon since they have a busy day tomorrow and that he should really eat if he hadn’t yet.

 

Things will be better tomorrow, he thinks to himself as he gets himself ready for bed. It’s not his fault that he has to be the villain. He never wants to be but it always turns out that way.

 

Why can’t Sehun understand that? He just wants what’s best for him, is all. And if Sehun can’t even drink, what’s the point of him joining?

 

Yawning, Joonmyun reaches over and turns off the light, pulling the blankets over himself. He’ll just worry about it tomorrow.

 

It seems like he had only been asleep for minutes before a slight tugging on the sheets wakes him up.

 

Groggily opening his eyes, he has to blink a few times to see through the darkness. He’s surprised to see Sehun standing there in his boxers and a tank, biting at his lip hesitantly.

 

“Wh-what is it?” Joonmyun says through a yawn, rubbing at his eyes. “Is something wrong?”

 

Sehun shifts from foot to foot. “Can I…can I sleep with you?” he asks shyly, his voice quiet. Joonmyun blinks, raising himself up on one elbow.

 

“What?”

 

“Can I sleep with you hyung?” Sehun looks at him and even through the dark, Jonmyun can see the pleading in his eyes. “I had…there was just…nightmare.”

 

Still a little confused, Joonmyun nods and pulls the blankets back, scooting over to make room for the younger. Sehun slips in beside him, his skin cold to the touch

so Joonmyun tucks the covers tight around him.

 

“Do you want to talk about it?” he asks gently. The maknae shakes his head, snuggling up to a surprised Joonmyun.

 

The elder stares at him. How can this kid go from being a complete brat to this? He knows Sehun doesn’t like being snuggled that much; only if he seeks it out. So it’s a bit odd for him to come see him in the middle of the night.

 

But he remembers as much as Sehun protests against it, he still is like a child in some aspects. The fact he had a nightmare and the first person he wants for comfort is Joonmyun has to say something about it.

 

This kid…Joonmyun mentally shakes his head. He’s just imperceptible.

 

“Thanks hyung,” whispers Sehun sleepily. “Sorry.” The last part is mumbled but Joonmyun can still hear it and it makes him smile a little.

 

Sehun is stubborn and for him to even acknowledge an apology is a big thing for him to do. Sehun hates being wrong.

 

“So you’re grown up now?” he mumbles, not sure if Sehun heard him or not. But the younger smiles lazily, his eyes already closed and Joonmyun thinks to himself that he did at least something right.


A/N: Welcome all new readers! Are you ready for 62 more one-shots about EXO? Yeah, me neither.

I actually rather liked this chapter.