Snide: Zitao/Kyungsoo

Words Aren't Enough

Kyungsoo has learned not to take it personally.


“Why are you being so stubborn?”

 

“I’m not being stubborn, I’m being selective.”

 

“Those are completely different things.”

 

“That’s the point, hyung. You should read a dictionary instead of a cookbook every once in a while.”

 

“You should definitely read a book on manners then.”

 

“Hyung!”

 

Kyungsoo pinches the bridge of his nose in frustration. He wishes his glare would work on Zitao but somehow the younger seems to be immune to it when he wants to be and it’s driving Kyungsoo crazy. With the others it’s fine, since they back down but with Zitao it’s different.

 

For someone who’s so afraid of ghosts, he seems to be perfectly fine at talking back to Kyungsoo.

 

“Look, I just need to get you to the studio. After that, do whatever the heck you want, I really couldn’t care less.”

 

Zitao opens his mouth to retort but Kyungsoo cuts him off, wanting to be through with this as quickly as possible.

 

“No, I don’t want to hear it. I didn’t sign up for this, so the least you can do is just do what I say. Go get ready.”

 

“Honestly hyung, sometimes you’re just so demanding,” pouts Zitao, stalking away and making the elder sigh in annoyance.

 

He doesn’t understand that kid sometimes. One minute he can be the most caring person in the world and the next he’s snapping out a sassy comeback.

 

Is there an on and off switch? Because if there is, Kyungsoo would love to know where it is so he could control it.

 

“Ah, hyung, do you know where I put my coat? The one with the silk lining?”

 

Kyungsoo sighs to himself. It’s instances like now that he really wonders about Zitao.

 

The next day it seems the Chinese maknae is having a bad day, snarling at anyone who annoys him even the slightest.

 

The vocal shrugs it off, knowing it’s just one of Zitao’s moods and that he’ll get over it eventually. Although he does go to more of an effort when preparing Zitao his snacks, as he does with everyone when they have a grueling day at the studio.

 

It’s been four hours and they’re not even halfway through the song. Zitao’s been practicing his part over and over again, waiting for the others to finish. He hasn’t even touched his food and Kyungsoo finds himself coming over to the younger’s side, sitting beside him as he tries to fine-tune his part.

 

“Is my cooking really that bad?”

 

“No.” Zitao doesn’t look away from his paper.

 

“Then why aren’t you eating it?”

 

“What does it look like?”

 

Ah. So he’s in one of those moods, Kyungsoo thinks. The mood where he’ll be just completely sassy at the most trivial things.

 

Good thing Kyungsoo’s used to it.

 

“I think you can take a breath in between words to eat a bite.”

 

“It’ll throw off my balance.”

 

“You don’t have any balance.”

 

“I have it better than you.”

 

“But you don’t. I’m shorter, therefore my center of gravity is closer to the ground and easier to balance than for you, since you’re tall.”

 

A side of Zitao’s mouth twitches. “Did you just call yourself short hyung?”

 

Kyungsoo shrugs, looking at the floor. “Not short. Just shorter than you. A lot of people are shorter than you.”

 

“Tell me something I don’t know.” Zitao puffs his cheeks out before blowing out in frustration and Kyungsoo settles back in his seat.

 

He knows the maknae just let off only a little bit of steam and the rest is simmering underneath. He doesn’t know if it’ll blow or what but he wants to be the one to be there if he does end up exploding. He’s really the only one who can scare Zitao into freezing-unless if he’s feeling particularly gusty that day and that just makes things a whole lot harder.

 

“Am I being annoying?”

 

Kyungsoo bites the inside of his cheek. So now he’s in one of those moods where he feels guilty over being snarky. Great.

 

“No.”

 

“You don’t have to lie to me hyung.”

 

“I’m not lying. I wouldn’t anyway, over something like this.” Kyungsoo hurries to explain when Zitao raises a questioning eyebrow. “You’re not being

annoying, just sassy. I’d prefer that over annoying any day.”

 

“Oh. Okay.” He goes back to reading his lyrics and Kyungsoo sighs in relief. That was easier than he thought it would be.

 

He would’ve expected for Zitao to get snide right back at him but the makane’s surprisingly lenient today. Not that the vocal is complaining, he’s quite grateful actually. It’s just odd, is all.

 

“But am I-”

 

"Just practice your part."


A/N: Happy birthday to our lovely leader Kim Joonmyun! Where would EXO be without you?

As always, I hope you're enjoying it and if it's not too much trouble, leave a comment below. Until next time darlings :)