Never: Yifan/Yixing

Words Aren't Enough

Never was Yifan more grateful to have Yixing.


 

Yifan never asked to be a leader.

 

He likes being in charge but when he auditioned, it was under the pretense he would be a mere member. He would have others look after him. He’d have elder members to teach him Korean and the culture and help him through trainee days and eventually into debuting. Certainly he wouldn’t be the oldest.

 

He was wrong.

 

When he found out he was going to be the leader, he was shocked but took it in stride. Apparently something was seen in him that made him seem like a good leader. Even being the third oldest, he was still put in charge.

 

It couldn’t just be because he’s a little intimidating. He’s tall and he doesn’t like to talk much but that’s still no reason to be a leader. Especially for being in a foreign country.

 

Turns out, he was actually the best for the job. He spoke both Chinese and Korean fluently, much more so than any of the other members. He was also labeled as the

most responsible which he thinks could be argued. Yifan assumed those were the only reasons and he started out early leaning a lot on the other leader and not really looking after the members.

 

 

They can take care of themselves. He’s not a babysitter.

 

But as time goes on, Yifan’s learned to like being the ‘dad’ of the group. He likes taking care of the others and being the one they rely on. He likes being their lifeline.

 

But there are times when Yifan needs his own outlet, his own shoulder to rest on.

 

He doesn’t get it.

 

Being the leader means his has to always be the strong one. If he breaks down, then what would happen next? He needs to always be solid for the others because if they see him stumble, it would mess them up too and he wouldn’t be able to recover from that.

 

So he keeps it in as long as he dares until almost exhaustion, until he can barely think or feel and is just moving on instinct.

 

Fortunately he has a helper.

 

Yixing watches silently, seeing Yifan struggle doing the simplest things. He knows Yifan’s hurting but he also knows he’d never admit it.

 

So he takes on the responsibilities of the leader for a little while, making sure everyone is set and ready and doing what they’re supposed to.

 

Yifan makes to protest but one look from Yixing and he closes his mouth, too tired to argue but still proud enough to be annoyed.

 

So later that night when Yixing has made sure everyone is in bed and everything is perfect for tomorrow and their schedule is sorted out, he goes to the leader’s room to see how he’s doing.

 

“You didn’t have to do that,” mutters Yifan, staring up at the ceiling. Yixing is glad he’s already in bed, meaning he’s that much closer to getting a good rest.

 

“Do what?” the dancer says, even though he knows exactly what Yifan’s talking about.

 

Yifan turns his head to look at him, his eyebrows slightly furrowed. “Do that. I can handle it.”

 

“I know.”

 

“I’m the leader for a reason.”

 

“I know.”

 

“I have to take care of them.”

 

“I know.”

 

“I’m…tired.”

 

“I know.”

 

They’re in silence for a few minutes, Yixing swinging his feet a little on the side of the bed and Yifan putting his arms behind his head.

 

“Thanks,” Yifan finally says. “It’s not your job but you still-”

 

“It’s my job to help you,” corrects Yixing, smiling at the elder. “You’re the leader but we’re not supposed to make you do everything.”

 

Yifan pauses. “Yixing…can you promise me something?”

 

“Of course.”

 

“You don’t even know what it is though.”

 

“I don’t have to.”

 

His innocent answer makes Yifan smile. How does such a person exist? But then he remembers. “Yixing, if you want to…only if you want to…” he sighs. “I’m going to need a lot of help in the future. Please don’t leave.”

 

Yixing knows how much pride the elder has and for him to say something like that makes it known to him it comes straight from Yifan’s heart.

He pats him reassuringly on the arm, the only part of Yifan he can reach. “Never.”


A/N: I actually rather liked this one.

Who else is super excited for EXO's comeback? :) I've seen all the teasers and with Sehun's, we all know it's Luhan's powers. Let's just clear the air here and admit it-the HunHan feels are strong.

Until next time darlings...