Flawless: Yixing/Baekhyun

Words Aren't Enough

Where Baekhyun doesn't understand how flawless Yixing really is.


Baekhyun nods his head along to the soft melody coming from inside his hyung’s room, really liking how it is going so far.

He knows Yixing has no idea he’s listening in but Baekhyun just can’t help it. He was going to go in and tell him about their schedule, but when he heard Yixing practicing his new song, Baekhyun couldn’t resist.

It’s not sneaking. It’s not eavesdropping. Baekhyun is merely listening with the other person unknown to it. And it’s not that bad.

His hyung just seems to have a way with notes and words. Even though Baekhyun is the one who the others call a manipulator, since he can get almost anyone to do anything with his wording, Yixing has a better ear for writing. Baekhyun can’t write well to save his life. He’s never tried too hard but he knows he’s much better suited to singing the song instead of writing it.

Anything Yixing writes just has almost a magical feel to it. It conjures feelings that Baekhyun never even thought mere music could do. It always manages to get stuck in his head, a song that just makes things better by listening to it.

Whatever Yixing writes, it just seems to be flawless.

The notes stop, to Baekhyun’s disappointment, and now he hears some shuffling of papers, a few muttered phrases in Chinese that he can’t understand.

He lingers by the door for a few more moments to see if Yixing is going to start again but no more music comes. So he knocks on the door, waiting a second before coming into the room.

The lights are dim. Baekhyun thinks it’s weird because then Yixing can’t see the paper and what he’s writing but the elder always claimed it got him in the mood more.

“You’re sounding good hyung,” compliments Baekhyun, flopping on the bed. He probably shouldn’t admit that he was listening but it’s kind of hard not to. Besides, he knows Yixing gets frustrated with himself easily when he can’t finish a song and he wants to help him feel better about it.

The elder gives him a weary smile. “Thanks Baekhyun-ah but I’m not done yet. I still have a long way to go.”

“From what I heard, it sounds great.”

 “Well I…wait, were you listening?”

Baekhyun smiles sheepishly. “Maybe?” Yixing merely shakes his head but in an affectionate way. The younger knows he won’t really get mad at such a trivial thing as that. Actually, rarely anything makes Yixing mad, now that he thinks about it.

“What is it about?” Baekhyun asks, getting up from the bed and coming to lean over Yixing’s shoulder. He tries to read the scrawled notes on the scattered papers covering the desk but it looks to be mostly in Chinese and the few things he understands don’t make much sense anyway.

Yixing sighs. “I’m not really sure yet.”

“Do you have any inspiration?”

“Not really.”

Baekhyun nods thoughtfully. “But what you have so far is really good hyung. I like the melody and I know you’re probably not done with lyrics yet but I thought of some.”

“Really?” Yixing looks at him admiringly. “I didn’t know you wrote.”

The younger shrugs. “I don’t. Not really. But there’s just something about your songs that brings out the inner writer in me, I suppose.”

“Well I’m honored.” Yixing grins, a dimple prettily sticking on his cheek. “This is what I have so far…well for lyrics anyway. I had some other ideas but I can’t remember where I wrote them down.” He scratches the back of his neck as Baekhyun laughs.

“They’ll turn up sooner or later,” he reassures his hyung. He takes the pages Yixing passes to him, trying to read the messy handwriting. “Um, hyung?”

“Hm?”

“I can’t read Chinese.”

Yixing pauses, blinking at him. “Oh yeah. Right. Sorry, I forgot. But I thought…I thought you were practicing.”

Baekhyun shakes his head, sitting back on the bed. “I tried but it’s too hard.”

“You’ll get nowhere with that attitude,” scolds Yixing. “I learned Korean. For the most part anyway. And it was easy enough.” Baekhyun rolls his eyes. He already knows his hyung is good at everything, so he didn’t need much reminding. But then again, Yixing rarely brags so he supposed he’ll let him shine for this moment.

“But let me translate it for you,” continues Yixing, taking the paper back and starting to scribble the translation on another sheet, oblivious to Baekhyun’s admiration.

Once finished, he gives it back to Baekhyun who reads over it quickly, breaking into a smile as he does so. The words flow so nicely and they’re really sincere and heartfelt, something only Yixing could write.

“It’s wonderful hyung. Even if it’s not done yet, it’s really great.”

Yixing’s dimples are bigger this time. “Thanks. It’s actually only the beginning of an outline. You’re the first to see it from the drafting period.”

“I feel so special!”

“You can add in some stuff if you want.”

Baekhyun’s eyes widen as he looks at his hyung. “Really? You mean it?”

The dancer shrugs one shoulder. “Why not? You said you had come up with some lyrics anyway and I think the combination could be interesting.”

Baekhyun grins, grabbing a pencil from the desk and starts to chew on it, staring at the paper thoughtfully. “Thanks hyung! I don’t know how good it’ll be but I’ll try my hardest.”

“Whatever you write is good Baekhyun-ah.”

The younger feels a blush cover his cheeks as he starts to scribble down some words that he thinks works best with what Yixing already has.

Minutes go by and he’s done all he can. “It’s harder than I thought,” he declares, giving the paper back to Yixing to read it. He’s a little hesitant about it, since it’s not really his strong suit. And Yixing is an expert, so he’s nervous about what his hyung will think.

Yixing’s face gives nothing away as his eyes scan it, going back and forth. Baekhyun is sitting on his hands so as not to fidget.

“Well? What do you think? Does it fit?” His questions run together as he gives Yixing an awkward smile, his default nervous expression.

Yixing looks up from the paper, his eyes sparkling. “It’s perfect, Baekhyun-ah. It works so well with the rest of the song.”

Baekhyun blushes a little, waving away his hyung’s praise. “Well everything you write is just so flawless hyung that I could very easily match with it.”