Chapter 13

Transparent

Woohyun strolled down the long hallways of his home, the HQ. He needed peace and quiet to collect his thoughts so he headed to the makeshift training room he and Sunggyu practiced in. Woohyun cringed; just the thought of his best friend made his heart ache in pain. He had never been so attracted to someone in his whole 22 years of living. The feelings were all so new to him it had become overwhelming.

 

He had come to believe that he had a crush on Sunggyu only because of the amount of time they had spent together - something that would merely pass within a few weeks. But the feelings grew into something he hadn't suspected. Around the same time as him, Sunggyu had started to open up more. It wasn't the normal reaction to regaining emotions so the purple haired man had suspicions. A few weeks passed before Woohyun even thought about testing his theories. Finally, the chance came, but only to result in a bittersweet situation.

 

Woohyun loved Sunggyu more than a friend. Sunggyu thought of Woohyun as nothing more than a friend. The purple haired rebel wanted to die. How would their relationship change now that these feelings were discovered?

 

"I'm a pathetic wreck." Woohyun sighed to himself, leaning on a training obstacle. He didn't even bother turning the lights on when he entered the large room, leaving him to sulk in the shadows. Sunggyu could be talking with Dongwoo right now, completely forgetting about the kiss, but here Woohyun was, slowly breaking himself apart.

 

Something wasn't right, Woohyun realized. All the other Transparents the Dawning Trinity rescued didn't have the emotion of love, either. Only one or two found a partner to share the rest of their lives with but the majority of them stayed loveless. Woohyun's eyes darted back and forth in the dark, thinking of all the reasons why that was so. He needed to confront someone who knew Transparents best. He pushed himself off the obstacle and nearly sprinted out of the room, heading straight to the most extravagant structure in the whole HQ.

 

"We need to talk." Woohyun announced loudly as he barged into Seungah's workroom. Mrs. Nam looked up from her desk, pulling her glasses down.

 

"Please, son, drop the formalities." She said sarcastically, straightening up the papers she had been reading moments before. Woohyun huffed and grabbed a chair, dragging it up to his mom's desk. "What's the matter, dear?" She asked as the purple haired rebel sat down in a not-so-graceful manner.

 

"Mom, you know Kim Sunggyu right?" Woohyun asked right off the bat, staring into Seungah's eyes. His mom gave a smile and nodded.

 

"Of course I know your boyfriend. You talk about him non-stop." She said, watching in amusement as her son's face brightened with a light shade of pink.

 

"He's not my – well…that's why I'm here, actually." The purple haired man's gaze wavered, traveling down to his lap. Seungah placed a couple of files on her desk into the cabinet next to her as she waited for Woohyun to continue. "You know about Transparents more than anyone here," he stated after a while of probing his hands. His mom nodded thoughtfully, giving him all of her attention.

 

"How did you come to love dad?"

 

There was a long pause in the conversation. Woohyun knew it was a sensitive topic to discuss with his mom. She had gone through so much during the time they had lost him – Nam Woosung, Woohyun's dad. Seungah straightened her posture and turned her chair to face the purple haired rebel.

 

"Woohyun," She started, "do you love Sunggyu?" The man gave a short nod. Seungah's lip twitched ever so slightly before she continued. "And you suspect that he might love you as well?" Again Woohyun nodded, this time not as confident as before. His mom noticed this, as her son's shoulders slouched and he didn't meet her eyes for a long time afterwards.

 

"He didn't feel anything when I kissed him." Woohyun admitted. "Mom, why…why is regaining love so hard?" He asked, looking up at her with distressed eyes. Seungah softened, leaning in to cup Woohyun's cold hands. It was a strange act for both of them – they never really felt like mother and son so they never really acted the part. Despite this, Woohyun knew his mom loved him very much and he would do anything for her.

 

"Sunggyu will learn in time. I'll tell you a story." Seungah said, sitting back in her chair.

 

"About you and dad?" Woohyun asked, curious. His mom smiled and took her time recalling the past events, making the purple haired man's curiosity peak even more.

 

"In Carol, when a Transparent turns 23 years old, they are put up for auction to be sold to the Holies. I'm sure you know the rest of the process when one is chosen." She paused. Woohyun gave a quick reply in confirmation, urging her to continue. "Well, if a Transparent is not chosen by the end of the day, they are not sent back into training like how you would imagine. Rather, they are sent back to a special facility to become breeders."

 

"Breeders as in…" Woohyun trailed off, not wanting to say the rest. If what he was thinking were right, he didn't know what he would do.

 

"How else do they keep producing Transparents?" She stated. Woohyun felt like throwing up. How could the government be so cruel? "I barely lived my life before I had my first child." Seungah continued, breaking Woohyun's heart even more. It was the first time she mentioned her story with him. Actually, it was the first time she mentioned her story to anyone. Woohyun had known that the story his mom told at the Transparent ceremony wasn't her true story. She would never give her life's tale away so easily.

 

"So you were a breeder?" The rebel asked, shaken. His mom looked down, simply nodding. Woohyun took a choppy intake of breath at his realization. He had siblings – half siblings – running around somewhere in the world without even knowing. The truth left him feeling mixed emotions.

 

"I lost count of all the children I've had – of all the mates I've had. It sickens me now. A poor, emotionless woman forced to be continuously impregnated until the end of her life. The realization of that nearly killed me when your father reawakened my feelings."

 

"Wait, when did you meet dad?" Woohyun asked as he tried to pull his mind away from the horrible reality his mom had to face. They treated Transparents like animals! How could anyone be pro government if they knew this?

 

"A day after my last childbirth, Woosung snuck into the ward I was in. He said he was a Holy trying to overthrow the common belief that Transparents were not human. I ran away with him immediately after sundown once the guards made their final rounds. A year later, you were born." Seungah concluded, taking time to scan Woohyun's expression. He looked a bit perplexed but seemed to be calming down.

 

"It took a whole year to regain my emotions. It's only been a few months for Sunggyu. Love came last for me but I knew Woosung was pinning me for a long time. I was aware of his feelings but I myself couldn't feel them towards him. What I'm saying is, Sunggyu needs a little bit more time. Reach out for him and never give up – let him unconsciously know that you will be there for him until the end. It worked for your father and me. He was there until his end."

 

Woohyun stood from his chair, leaning down to embrace his mother tightly. His eyes felt moist with held in tears as he hugged Seungah. With a soft sniffle, he straightened and returned his chair to its original place.

 

"Thank you, mom. Dad would be really proud of you." He said sincerely before exiting the room. Woohyun had one thing on his mind: Kim Sunggyu. He marched down the grand hall and into the rebel training room, where he suspected his best friend to be. The purple haired man turned 360 degrees in his search to find him but failed to spot the brown haired rebel. He walked over to the nearest person, who happened to be Dongwoo, and asked for Sunggyu.

 

"Sunggyu? I thought he was with you." Dongwoo answered, shocked to see Woohyun all alone. "By the way, have you seen Sungjong?"

 

"What? I told him to hang out with you for a while." Woohyun said, just as shocked. "And no, I haven't seen Sungjong all day."

 

The two rebels looked at each other, equally confused and lost without their partners. A red flag went off in Woohyun's head and he started to panic. What if Sunggyu thought their relationship was ruined and decided to leave? What if he ran away with someone else? Did he leave with Sungjong? The purple haired man was filled with doubt and unreasonable scenarios.

 

"…where are you?" Woohyun said out loud in panic.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

I'm sorry for not updating in so long…I had a lot of stuff to do over the holidays. (Plus Assassin's Creed happened again…) How was Christmas? And if you don't celebrate Christmas then how were the past couple of weeks? I've been good. My younger sister just bought two mice today. Their names are Taco and Pizza but we decided that it would be spelled like Tacco and Piza. Anyways I hope you guys liked this chapter. It was the first time I wrote Woohyun's side of the story. This happens at the same time Sunggyu leaves in the other chapter if anyone was confused.