Chapter 9

Transparent

Sunggyu his side, eyes trailing the silhouettes of furniture in the moonlit room. His bed was beyond comfortable but he hadn't been carried off to dreamland yet. It was late into the evening when he had finally beat Woohyun. Technically, it was a tie, but the dark haired rebel let him take the win. Sunggyu had been sweating bullets – something he hadn't done in years – when they finished training for the day. Despite his hunger for sleep, the red head continued to toss and turn in bed.

 

Sunggyu reached over for the table clock near his pillow. He should've appreciated his ceiling clock more when he still had it. The movement caused the bed to creak and he froze in place, not wanting to wake anyone up. Since the HQ was filled with dozens of rebels, the beginning ranks had to sleep in rooms of two bunk beds. Sunggyu took a lower bunk on Woohyun's request. He had asked why but only received a simple answer. Fear. The red haired rebel admitted to feeling fear before – something Woohyun had laughed at.

 

"You might have felt worry or the beginning remnants of fear you still possessed, but have you really felt fear? Have you felt the blood in your veins stop along with your heart? Have you felt the terror of watching as doom slowly reaches for you, paralyzing you? You might have felt fear but you have never felt fear." Woohyun said, growing a little serious.

 

What would a simple bunk bed do to Sunggyu? How would it replace his calm nature with panic like Mr. Lee had done? Woohyun shook his head, murmuring something about how he would understand soon enough. After that conversation, the red haired rebel took a shower and now here he was, lying awake in a bed that was soft to the touch. Had Woohyun left him feeling upset? Sunggyu wondered. He did seem to have a hint of pain in his eyes while he spoke. He rolled over again and finally settled in. Closing his droopy eyelids, the red haired man's consciousness faded and he fell in a deep sleep without dreaming.

 

Sunggyu was rudely awoken by a blaring alarm the next morning. The red head usually woke up when the light of the sun brightened the room, which was why he was so startled when he saw the clock. It was six o'clock, way past the time the sun rose. He must have really been wiped out from last night. The other squadron seven members got dressed relatively fast and exited the room before Sunggyu even crawled out of bed. Yesterday's lesson must have taught them to meet up in the training room before breakfast because when the red head closed the door behind him, all he saw were bodies heading in the direction of the training building. Sunggyu decided to follow them, catching up with Dongwoo. They walked down the long hallway for a while, discussing yesterday's activities before someone called out to Sunggyu.

 

"Where do you think you're going?" Woohyun asked. The red haired man looked to his left and met eyes with his rebel. Woohyun was propped onto the wall, waiting as if he knew Sunggyu would pass him. The red head was about to say something but was cut off. "Didn't I say I would be giving you private lessons?"

 

"Yes you did, but I didn't know where to meet so I followed them…" Sunggyu trailed off, realizing that Dongwoo was standing next to them. "Sorry, I'll see you later." He said, allowing his friend to catch up with the rest of the squadron. After they were alone in the hallway, Woohyun lifted himself off the wall and took Sunggyu's hand, leading him the opposite way.

 

"What are we doing today?" The red head asked as they walked a little further down the corridor. Woohyun tilted his head in thought.

 

"Well, today they are teaching how to sneak so I guess I'll teach you how to do that too." He said, dropping Sunggyu's hand as they entered a familiar room. "Help me set up. Just, make walls and barricades with all this wood." Woohyun ordered. The red head did what he was told and started making piles of wood that were tall enough to hide a body. After ten minutes or so, the rebels finished setting up and met in the center.

 

"I'll start with a demonstration. You stay in the middle and try to spot me before I reach you." Sunggyu nodded at the simple instructions as Woohyun skipped off to the back of the room. "Alright, are you ready?" He called, giving Sunggyu a little wave from far away. After receiving a nod, the rebel quickly ducked behind a wall. The red haired man caught glimpses of movement, but not enough to tell where Woohyun was going. He was practically invisible with his stealth and agility, leaving Sunggyu to make a whole 360-degree turn in hopes of spotting him. It was silent for a long time, Sunggyu couldn't hear any movement no matter how hard he strained his ears. It was if Woohyun had left the room.

 

Suddenly, the red head felt a finger run across his throat from behind. He turned in shock, nearly smacking the man behind him in the face in the process. Woohyun backed away with a smile as he left Sunggyu to calm himself down from the surprise he caused.

 

"You would've been dead if it was a blade." Woohyun said, stating the obvious. Sunggyu looked at him in awe.

 

"How did you – that was less than two minutes!" He exclaimed. Woohyun laughed and put a hand on his hip.

 

"I could've done it in one minute, and that's me being modest." He said, smiling at the other's reaction. Sunggyu regained control of his face and returned the smile. Woohyun was acting like his normal self again. Maybe he forgot about their conversation last night that left him abnormally quiet and irritable. Whatever happened, Sunggyu was glad he was back to normal.

 

"So, shall I teach you the basics?" Woohyun asked, pulling the red haired man from his thoughts. He nodded, eager to learn how to do what he had just witnessed. The two walked over to a pile of wood and Woohyun bent down. "Being able to adjust yourself to your surroundings is a mandatory skill to have so we'll practice in here and then play a game around HQ later." He said.

 

"First, just hide yourself from the enemies plane of sight, easy right?" Woohyun said and demonstrated. Sunggyu copied the move with no problem, earing a satisfied grunt out of the dark haired rebel. "Good, now we need to get to the next barricade. Stay low and jog over to that one. Stall for a bit before moving onto the next wall." Woohyun instructed, doing exactly what he was saying. He made room behind the wall for Sunggyu to fit. It felt a little silly to do these things without a target, but the red haired man knew it was necessary.

 

"You're doing great. Okay, see that pile of wood? It's really short but able to hide behind." Woohyun said. Sunggyu followed the man's finger to a pile of wood that hardly covered the floor below it.

 

"You can hide behind that? Are you sure?" Sunggyu questioned. Woohyun nodded and proceeded to flatten out on his stomach. The red head watched as Woohyun crawled his way over the pile and ordered Sunggyu to go on the other side and see if he could see him. "Whoa." Sunggyu breathed when he couldn't see the man at all.

 

"See? Now you try." Woohyun said, standing up to let Sunggyu give it a go. The man bent down behind the wood pile and tried to copy what Woohyun had done. "I still see your hair. Your chin should be touching the ground." The red haired man hesitantly rested his face on the dirty floor in order to fully be concealed by the wood. "Maybe we should dye your hair back to black or something. Ah, but I kind of like it. We'll keep it the way it is until your first real mission." Woohyun said, debating whether or not to dye Sunggyu's hair to black. During this time, the red head attempted to crawl his way over to a different wall.

 

"Your is sticking up. Don't use your legs, just arms." Woohyun pointed out, watching as Sunggyu's appeared and disappeared behind the pile of wood. The man sighed and stood up, feeling dumb. "Well, it looks like you have the basics down. How about you start over there and try to sneak up on me in the middle, okay?" Woohyun suggested. Sunggyu nodded and jogged over to one side of the room, far away from the center.

 

Woohyun gave a thumbs up and the red man immediately dove for shelter. He successfully snuck to the next wall and crouched down, giving a couple of seconds before running to the next pile of wood. Sunggyu peaked out and saw Woohyun facing the other way. He in a breath and jumped over the barricade he was hiding behind and ran up two or three walls in front of him.

 

"Stay light on your feet. I can hear you." Woohyun shouted. The red haired man gasped, realizing that he hadn't been running on the balls of his feet. He stayed in place for a while longer, attempting to throw off the rebel in the middle. His heart was racing even though it was just a simulation test. Sunggyu made a break for the next wall, which was ten feet from where he was. He skidded to a stop at the low stack. He needed to crawl from here on out. As he was making his way closer, he could start to hear the faint hums that Woohyun was making as he waited.

 

Sunggyu stopped one barricade away from the center. The dark haired rebel had his back to him and was still humming. Now was his chance. Sunggyu took a lunge at the unsuspecting man. At the speed of light, Woohyun turned around and caught his arm, which was preparing to pretend slit his throat. They froze there for a minute, staring at each other. Sunggyu's eyes were wide, he was sure he could've got him. Woohyun broke out into a smile, his eyes shrinking into crescent moons. A lot like Howon used to do, Sunggyu thought. Woohyun released Sunggyu's arm, which fell loosely at his side.

 

"It seems that we are ready for our little game."

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Sunggyu's learning how to be a rebel one chapter at a time~ So I want your opinion on this. Should I dye Sunggyu's hair back to black soon or no? I mean he's only had it red for 4 days so…. Anyways, I hope you liked this chapter!