Chapter 22 (Final)

Transparent

Sunggyu was jerked awake when the van stopped suddenly, making the horrible, earsplitting screeches as the tires skid to a halt. His head bumped against something warm as the force pulled him to the left. Woohyun looked down at him to see if he was okay and was surprised to see him with his eyes open.

 

"Sunggyu!" He gasped.

 

"What's going on?" The brown haired rebel asked, shifting his position to look at the rest of the people in the van. Woohyun bit his lip uncomfortably but didn't say anything. Sunggyu sat up and realized his head was resting on the purple haired man's lap. Too disoriented to care, he continued to sit up until he could see outside. He gasped when he looked out of the front windshield. A polished black car blocked their path.

 

A man stepped out and haughtily strode in front of the van, looking them dead in the eye. Sunggyu gulped as he recognized the man. He instinctively looked over at Woohyun, who looked completely petrified. Not long after Mr. Lee strode up to the van, another man emerged from their car. The brown haired man caught movement out of the corner of his eye and returned his focus at the problem at hand. Woohyun wordlessly gripped Sunggyu's hand and they entwined fingers as a source of comfort.

 

Sunggyu couldn't quite figure out where he saw the other man who stepped out of the car and it bugged him. He watched as the man walked up next to Mr. Lee and scanned over his whole appearance. The man was a lot younger than Mr. Lee and he had dark black hair, which swept to the side nicely. What caught Sunggyu off guard were the clothes he wore. He was sure he had seen them before. Some of the rebels got out of the van, making Mr. Lee smirk.

 

"You think you could pull off something like this without getting caught?" He asked in an amused tone. Woohyun stiffened at the sound of his rough voice. "I thought I saw that Transparent with you today. Did he make it?" Mr. Lee asked, looking through the tinted windshield for Sunggyu.

 

The brown haired man reached for the door handle but was stopped by a hesitant Woohyun. He shook his head and Sunggyu could practically hear what he was communicating through his eyes.

 

'Don't go out there.'

 

'But I need to.' Sunggyu stared back at him before taking in a breath. Releasing Woohyun's hand, the rebel exited the van. His body ached with each movement and he nearly collapsed once he took his first steps out. Sunggyu was determined to save the rebels. If offering himself would give them a chance to escape, so be it.

 

"I'm here." He announced, making himself known to the two men. Mr. Lee cringed as he saw the barely conscious rebel make his way forward. Dongwoo, who was one of the first rebels to get out of the van, looked at him, worried. Dongwoo was the type to pretend to be clueless, but actually knew very well what was going on. Jonghyun, who stood beside him, also caught on to what Sunggyu was about to do.

 

"Gyu." A familiar voice called. Sunggyu gasped as his eyes landed on the younger of the two Holies. Only one person in all of Ahdah called him by that nickname. Woohyun stared at the man cautiously as he stepped towards Sunggyu – who was in no shape to fight him off.

 

"Ho…won?" Sunggyu caught a lump in his throat as he spoke his old master's name for the first time in forever. Howon smiled warmly as he approached. The brown haired man held up a hand, making Howon pause mid-step. His smile faltered but his eyes remained locked onto Sunggyu's.

 

"I'm glad you are alive." He said honestly, looking away shyly. Sunggyu softened as he thought back to his time as a Transparent. Howon was always meek and kind to him. He was always inviting and understanding when it came to Sunggyu. It was something that he would never forget.

 

"Enough with this. Howon, get away from there." Mr. Lee interrupted. The rebels turned their attention back to the older Holy. "You have five minutes to decide what your fates are before my troops arrive." He explained, "Return Sunggyu back to us, or die."

 

"Sunggyu, come back. Don't do it." Woohyun plead from the van. He got out and limped his way over. Howon looked back and forth at the two rebels and saw their strong connection. Sunggyu held back a sob and smiled at the purple haired man, who already had tears rolling down his cut up cheeks.

 

"Mrs. Nam said to do whatever it takes to get them back safely. To get you back." Sunggyu said. Each word sliced deeper and deeper into Woohyun's heart. A long silence that felt like eternity ensued. The brown haired man turned back to face Mr. Lee, who was starting to get impatient. Before he could make his decision of sacrificing himself, Howon broke the silence in a way that made everyone gasp.

 

"Father, let them go." He said in a commanding tone. The statement took Mr. Lee aback.

 

"Excuse me?"

 

"I said let them go. Can't you see that Gyu is hurting? I know you are doing this for me, but I want him safe and happy before anything else."

 

The Holy was stunned by his son's decision. There was a pause in the conversation before he let out a shaky "Why?"

 

"Because I love him." Howon stated bravely. "I hadn't quite known until he disappeared. I'm glad he did, too, or else I would have held him captive for the rest of his life."

 

Howon then turned to Sunggyu and spoke from his heart. "I can tell you have revived your emotions, something I wanted to accomplish with you once I returned from my business trip, and I'm glad you found someone you can feel the way I feel about you." He let out a sigh. "Now go, before the backup gets here and I change my mind."

 

Sunggyu was too stunned to move from his spot. Woohyun was no help, either. They both stood there, processing the information for a while. Jonghyun didn't hesitate to take the chance of escaping and pushed them back into the van. Before long, the van took off down the road again. As they passed by, Sunggyu met eyes with Howon for one last time.

 

'Goodbye.' The Holy mouthed to him with a soft smile. The brown haired man took in a shaky breath and felt his tears spring out of his eyes. Howon had been good to him until the end. All too soon, the two Holies became nothing but dots on the horizon. Sunggyu looked away from the window and turned to Woohyun, who had been watching him ever since they got back in the van.

 

The brown haired rebel suddenly felt drained of energy again. Woohyun pat his lap and ushered him closer. Without saying a word, Sunggyu lay down and buried his face into Woohyun's stomach. Slowly, the purple haired rebel started to pet the other's hair, as if to calm him down from the events that happened today. He himself was still shaken up by everything that had happened, but now wasn't the time to admit that. Right now, Sunggyu was his main priority.

 

The van pulled up in front of HQ after a grueling hour. Everyone filed out and took in the fresh air. Sunggyu had struggled to stay awake but ended up crashing out during the last ten minutes of the ride. Woohyun had also felt sleepy, but he stayed awake to continue running his fingers through Sunggyu's hair. He also had a lot on his mind. During the time he spent captive, Woohyun had learned things he couldn't even imagine. First and foremost, he could never date Sunggyu. As to why, he would have to explain when the time was right.

 

"Sunggyu, wake up. You just need to go to your room for now." Woohyun cooed. The brown haired man slowly rolled over and sat up. He looked around drowsily before recognizing the HQ's garden. He let out a sigh of relief and got out of the van. Woohyun got out as well and took his hand. They limped their way up the stairs to the main building before Sunggyu spoke.

 

"Let's go to your room."

 

Woohyun let out a sigh as he remembered their relationship problems but complied anyway. They finally made it to his room and Sunggyu flopped down on his bed. Woohyun changed out of his worn out clothes and addressed his wounds while the brown haired man fell into a peaceful sleep.

 

Maybe it was for the best that they didn't go any further into this. Woohyun would eventually get over him. They would still be best friends, after all. During the countless hours of torture, Mr. Lee had read off the list of every son or daughter Seungah had gave birth to. Some of the names shocked him, as they were some of the rebels that were previously saved. But the last name took the cake for sure. Woohyun nearly chocked on his spit when the Holy muttered the name 'Sunggyu'.

 

During the night, when he was left to recover for the next day's fun, he thought long and hard about that name. It all added up to his mom's story. His Sunggyu was two years older than him. After two years of Seungah's escape, she gave birth to Woohyun.

 

Sunggyu rolled over in his sleep, mumbling incoherent words. The purple haired man sighed and finished wrapping his arm with gauze. It was for the best that the brown haired man never learned of it. Woohyun felt his heart squeeze as his eyes traced Sunggyu's face. He really loved him. But if he loved him so much, why couldn't he give him up like that young Holy had? Thinking about it after what happened today started to strain Woohyun's brain. He walked over to the bed and lay down next to the sleeping rebel. He pushed himself against Sunggyu's warm back and wrapped an arm around his waist.

 

"I guess this is goodbye." Woohyun whispered to himself. He had to let go of all of his romantic emotions if anything was going to get better. He wouldn't actually leave Sunggyu, but it felt like a part of him disappeared at this decision. Woohyun was being selfish and he knew it. He had promised himself to let go but he wanted to hold the rebel one last time.

 

"I loved you so much. More than you would have ever known." He spoke, voice growing hoarse. With that said, he closed his pale eyes and drifted off to a deep sleep. He was finally safe again so he could sleep without worries.

 

Sunggyu took in a shaky breath and closed his eyes tightly. He didn't understand why he was suddenly so sad, but he was sure something inside of him died. Soundlessly, a lone tear rolled down his cheek. After all this time of searching, he had found what Woohyun spoke of weeks before; this emotion called love.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Hi guys! Hooray it's over! ^^ Kind of a sad ending but I had planned it to be this way since the beginning, sorry! At least Howon came back, right?

 

So I want to thank everyone who subbed, commented, or upvoted this fic. It's really been a blast. This was my first fantasy-based story and I'm happy to announce more in the future!

 

I also want to thank my close friend Christine for giving me this idea in the strangest way possible. We were talking at 3 in the morning and she, in her sleep-deprived state, started coming up with a whole story about beans. There were holy beans, transparent beans, and unholy beans – which I obviously took for my own story. Here is the link to read the whole conversation. Link. There is an option to make it transition slowly down on the bottom corner. Just so you know, this was when I was writing The Color Of Sound. ^^ Beautiful poster made by the lovely Christine.

 

Once again, thank you so much! You make me so happy each time I see a subscriber or a comment notification. I've also made a lot of friends through this experience so don't be afraid to talk to me! Who knows, maybe our conversation would inspire me to write a fanfic based on it! ^^ Well, that's it for now. See you in my future fanfics!