Chapter 21

Transparent

Sunggyu glanced around the corner of the brick wall. The rescue team was no longer training; it was the real thing now. He and the others were wearing butler outfits in order to disguise themselves as Transparents. The brown haired man caught a bunch of Holies making their way to the stage so he stealthily snuck into the crowd, hoping to go unnoticed by the many guards stationed around the town square.

 

The mission was risky; to fit in, each rebel had to leave equipment that could not be concealed behind. That meant that no walkie-talkies were brought along, thus making it a 'all men for themselves' type of rescue. Of course, they knew to help out if one member was caught, but they would have to do it in a way that would not compromise the mission.

 

Sunggyu stopped next to an actual Transparent and focused on the stage in front of him. There were four nooses hung from a sturdy steel pole. There was no way for him to break it like he originally planned, so he scanned the area for other ways. He looked back and noticed how large the audience had grown in that short time. The giant clock tower in the distance signaled the coming of the 5th hour of the evening. In ten minutes, Woohyun would be preparing to be hung, and the brown haired man had to think up a plan fast.

 

Sunggyu eyed the ropes hanging from the steel pole as an idea popped in his head. All of his training had led him to this very moment. The hour hand on the clock slowly made its way to the top as the rebel flew to the back of the crowd. As he pushed past a few Holies, he made eye contact with another disguised rebel on the mission, who gave him a bewildered look before vanishing into the sea of bodies.

 

"Sorry, Myungsoo. I trust you know what to do after I make my move." Sunggyu whispered under his breath. Myungsoo had been the rebel he had passed by. Although he didn't talk to him much – due to his cold exterior -, Sunggyu would see him enter and exit his room, which was on the opposite side of the hall from his own.  

 

Finally, the brown haired man took his position back at the alleyway he started in. He peaked out behind the brick wall and realized he needed to climb higher to see the stage. Finding a row of windows leading to the roof of the building he was hiding behind, the rebel started to climb. At first it wasn't so bad, but then he looked down and saw how far from the ground he had gotten. There was still a long way up to the top and Sunggyu got a little woozy. With his newly awoken emotions, he figured out that heights were not his thing.

 

There was a loud bell chime that echoed throughout the square. Sunggyu snapped out of his momentary pause and continued to climb. Once he reached the top ledge, he saw four men walk onto the stage. They were blindfolded and had their hands tied behind their backs. Instantly, Sunggyu recognized the dark purple hair on one of the men and his heart stopped.

 

"Woohyun!" He screamed accidentally, catching a few guard's attention from below. The man on stage didn't seem to hear and continued to be dragged up to the noose. Sunggyu gasped and looked down at the men who had found him. They pointed their guns up at him and he quickly rolled onto the roof. There were muffled shouts but he had something else on his mind.

 

One by one, the Holies tightened the nooses around each of the captive's necks. Sunggyu dropped down on one knee and took out his handgun from under his vest. At the HQ, Sungjong warned that if they were to use their gun, they would have to be distanced away from the crowd. In that case, the brown haired man had brought a riffle scope to latch onto his handgun – which was exactly the thing he needed at the moment. The stage was so far away from him; the ropes were nothing but slivers of brown to his eyes.

 

The grand clock struck 5pm and the bell chimed once more, catching his attention. With a quick snap of his wrist, the scope locked in place and he positioned himself to see through it. He found his way up to Woohyun's noose and let out a shaky breath. The purple haired man's face was cut and bruised a dark blue. The shirt he wore was barely in tact and was stained with blood. Sunggyu had to bring his focus back onto the rope in order to calm the chocking sensation he began to feel. All too soon, the Holies walked off the stage and a slow but steady countdown drifted from the crowd up to were he was positioned.

 

"5!" Sunggyu inhaled.

 

"4!" He exhaled.

 

"3!" He brought the gun closer to his cheek to steady it.

 

"2!" He released the safety.

 

"1!" His grip grew tighter until his knuckled turned white.

 

"0!"

 

The world seemed to freeze in the moment after. The sound of a gunshot roared in his ears as the bottom of the stage fell beneath the rebel's feet. Woohyun fell to the ground below with half of the rope still attached to his neck. He had been saved. Sunggyu felt time start to flow again, and quickly brought the gun back up to his eye. Three more shots sounded above the gasps and yells from the crowd. The other rebels fell to the ground as well and immediately stood up.

 

From his spot at the top of building, Sunggyu spotted the disguised rebels run to the stage. He saw Myungsoo knock out a guard, stealing his gun as he ran by. The brown haired man needed to get to the stage as well, and fast. He looked to his side and noticed that the building he was on was taller than the others around it. The space between buildings wasn't that big so Sunggyu made a route in his mind to get to the stage by rooftop. Without hesitation, he lunged forward and jumped across, tumbling as he landed.

 

Quickly, he sprinted to the next building and jumped over. His heart was racing from the exhilaration and danger, but he only had Woohyun on his mind. He made his way around the majority of the crowd and halted at the side of the stage. Guards had circled Woohyun as he stood up blindly. Sunggyu had to get down to ground level as fast as he could before they had the chance to attack. He looked down and spotted a thrown away mattress next to a dumpster.

 

"There has got to be a safer way." The rebel said to himself in frustration. The guards began to notice the other rebels and turned their attention to them as they ambushed. Without another choice, Sunggyu took one last look at Woohyun before letting himself fall.

 

The wind hit his face like bullets as he aimed for the mattress. About half of the way down, Woohyun's blindfold fell off and his pale blue eyes landed on Sunggyu. His eyes widened as he watched the rebel fall until the crowd of people blocked him. His heart pulsed in his head as he felt his world break apart before his eyes.

 

On the other side of the crowd, Sunggyu hit the mattress with full force. He cringed in pain as his spine made contact with a spring under the spongy material. Never the less, he felt all of his bones in tact so he sat up and charged back into the sea of bodies. Adrenaline shot through his veins as he came in contact with the first guard. Sunggyu pulled out a knife from his belt and slashed forward, killing the guard.

 

A few more men blocked his path to Woohyun but it didn't faze him. After that fall, nothing could. He swiftly dodged an incoming punch and pushed the man's gun into his face, where it hit him on the forehead and knocked him out. Sunggyu jumped over the body and threw his knife into the chest of another guard. As he fell down, the brown haired man's eyes landed on Woohyun. The purple haired man was kneeling on the ground with his head lowered. It was if he had given up trying to escape.

 

"Woohyun!" Sunggyu called, rushing up to him and skidding to a stop. The purple haired rebel looked up, shocked.

 

"You're…alive." He breathed after a while. Sunggyu gave him an incredulous look before helping him up. "But I saw you falling from that building." He continued as he was pulled away into an alley. The brown haired man ignored him and instead looked for a safe place for them to hide until the other rebels regrouped at the assigned location.

 

"Shouldn't you be more worried about yourself?" He finally said when the coast was clear. Sunggyu flipped open a pocketknife and began to cut off the robe that bound Woohyun's hands together. The beaten up rebel just stared at him with his mouth slight ajar as Sunggyu coolly ripped the loose binding off of his scrapped up wrists.

 

Woohyun opened his mouth to say something but Sunggyu pushed himself onto him. As much as the brown haired man wanted to hug the other rebel until he couldn't breathe, he knew just how bad of injuries he sustained. Sunggyu pulled back and looked into Woohyun's eyes.

 

"Don't worry me like that." He said in a firm voice. Woohyun looked down for a split second but reconnected gazes.

 

"You weren't supposed to know." He said in a weak voice. Sunggyu took in his appearance and grimaced. The rebel looked even worse up close. It was if Woohyun was drifting in and out of consciousness every time he blinked.

 

Suddenly, someone dashed into the alleyway. Sunggyu quickly stood up and pulled out a throwing dagger.

 

"Wait, it's me!" Myungsoo called, rushing behind the building with another man. Sunggyu relaxed and put the dagger away before going to help free the blindfolded rebel. Woohyun watched as his best friend knelt down and began untying the man's blindfold. He felt a tinge of jealousy when the brown haired man smiled gently at the rebel to reassure him.

 

"Ah." Sunggyu suddenly groaned before grasping his head. Woohyun slid closer and reached for the rebel.

 

"Are you alright? Are you in pain?" He asked, voice a little higher than usual. Sunggyu closed his eyes tightly to endure the throbbing sensation in his head.

 

"Aren't you in pain?" He said through gritted teeth. The purple haired man sighed at his stubbornness and looked to Myungsoo for help.

 

"We need to head to the meeting place. The other rebels were rescued so don't worry." Myungsoo spoke, taking his rebel's hand and leading them through the alley. Woohyun gently pulled Sunggyu up as well and they began to leave.

 

"I knew you aren't fully recovered." Woohyun said as they walked.

 

"Well, I couldn't just sit there and do nothing when you were in danger." Sunggyu retorted quickly. They stayed in silence the rest of the way. The brown haired man led them to a clearing where the Dawning Trinity van waited patiently for them. Myungsoo had already arrived and so did the rest of the group. A familiar head peaked out from one of the seats and caught the brown haired man's attention.

 

"Dongwoo…" Sunggyu began to say, but his body suddenly felt heavy and he toppled to the ground. He fought hard to remain conscious when some rebels lifted him into the van. He heard Woohyun speaking to him but he couldn't make sense of the words.

 

"Here we go again." Sunggyu mumbled cynically before fainting.

 

 

~~~~~~~~

 

One more chapter after this!!! Oh my gosh it's coming to an end! I never thought I would actually get to the point of wrapping the story up!