Chapter 19

Transparent

Sunggyu was shaken awake. He opened his eyes groggily and realized it was night. His headache had reduced immensely and he didn't feel feverish anymore. Sunggyu rolled to his side, away from the person who shook him. There was a pause before the rebel's back was tapped in a not-so-gentle manner.

 

"What do you want, Woohyun?" The brown haired man asked with his eyes still closed. There was no joking laugh or apology like he expected so he turned over, looking at the man in the dark room. To his surprise, a rebel he had barely talked to was standing over his bed.

 

"Jonghyun?" Sunggyu asked, sitting up slightly. "What wrong?" He asked, knowing that the man would not bother him in the middle of the night without reason. The other sighed a little before explaining the situation to him.

 

"Well, Sungjong ran away earlier today and Woohyun sent out to search for him."

 

"Alone?" Sunggyu asked, worried for the young rebel. Sungjong had looked sad at the funeral but he didn't expect him to run off. Jonghyun shook his head and bent down to Sunggyu's level.

 

"Even someone of Woohyun's skill could not do this mission alone. A small group was sent out with him because they went to the police chief's house." He said, watching the sick man's expression carefully. Sunggyu felt his heart skip a beat when he heard the location of the mission.

 

"So…what happened?" He asked. It was nice to know about Woohyun and Sungjong's situation so he wouldn't worry but was it really necessary to wake him up this late. Jonghyun shifted his gaze away from the other and looked down.

 

"The team was sent out around 3 o'clock but we haven't heard anything back since then."

 

"You mean, they aren't back yet?" Sunggyu asked, voice starting to tremble. His headache started to reform so he lay back down. A feeling of dread washed over him when Jonghyun didn't say anything to correct his statement. "Did they send anyone out to find them?"

 

"And risk losing more men? The leader is smarter than that." Jonghyun laughed sarcastically. There was pain evident in his voice as well. Sunggyu remembered that he was on the mission with Minho as well. He tried not to make too much noise getting off the bed so the other rebels in the room could sleep. Jonghyun gave him a questioning look but didn't stop him from heading towards the door.

 

"What are you planning on doing?" He asked as he caught up. The brown haired man did answer right away. They exited the room and walked down the silent hallway.

 

"I'm going to have a word with our leader." He said, determined. Jonghyun, even though he was a year older, didn't try to shove some common sense into the younger as they marched straight to Seungah's room.

 

When they finally made it to her door, they were surprised to see a light on in the room. Sunggyu knocked lightly before slowly opening the door a crack to see if she was in. There was a short answer for them to come in so the two rebels entered. Their leader was sitting at her desk with her glasses resting on her head. She looked up at them with only her eyes and then waved them over.

 

"Ma'am, I heard about Woohyun and Sungjong." Sunggyu said, louder than he wanted. Mrs. Nam hushed him quickly before looking back down at her lap. The brown haired man was taken aback but realized why she was quieting them. She lifted up a walkie-talkie for them to see and once again put a finger to her lips. There was a pause before a roar of static echoed from the device.

 

"Miss leader of the Unholies?" A scratchy voice came in. The voice was calm but Sunggyu couldn't help the chill that ran down his spine. He knew that voice. Mrs. Nam gave the walkie-talkie a glare before answering in a strong voice.

 

"Who are you? Where are my rebels?" There was a halt in the conversation. Sunggyu could make out voices from the other line but couldn't hear what they said due to the static.

 

"Don't you mean 'where is my son'? Because I have him right here." The voice came again, this time softer, as if he wasn't talking directly into the device. There was a thud from the other side and suddenly Woohyun's frantic voice called out.

 

"Mother, don't let Sunggyu know about this! Let him recover first befo-"

 

The three in the room gasped as the sound of Woohyun getting thrown back resounded throughout the otherwise silent room. Mrs. Nam spoke through gritted teeth.

 

"I swear to god, you let my son and my rebels go or I will…" She took a deep breath, as if to calm down. "Release them and I will turn myself in. No tricks or trouble." She declared after a while. Mr. Lee laughed in response.

 

"You think I would let these two live? If I were going to accept that then I wouldn't have my team still out looking for the others. Not to mention, Howon wants his Transparent back."

 

Mrs. Nam growled and stood up, walking over to the two rebels in the room. She gave them a meaningful before slowly answering.

 

"If this is how you want to play, so be it. I will let you know that I will not rest until all of my rebels are safe."

 

Mr. Lee clicked his tongue. "How about this, I give you Woohyun back and you give me Sunggyu. You know, a son for a son. Do we have a deal?" He proposed. Woohyun shouted something barely audible in the background but was quickly silenced. Sunggyu felt his heart drop when Mrs. Nam looked as if she was actually contemplating the deal.

 

"What do you mean 'a son for a son'?" She asked, which surprised both Jonghyun and Sunggyu. Without her bringing it up, he would have not given that statement a second thought – especially at a time like this. When there was no answer, Mrs. Nam repeated her question.

 

"I haven't been doing nothing for the past year, miss. I've looked into you and your family." Mr. Lee said in a low voice. "I know who your children are."

 

All at once, the room went dead silent. Mrs. Nam's eyes went wide as she soaked up the information. Jonghyun stiffened when he as well figured it out. Sunggyu looked around, confused as to why there was a tension in the air. All eyes soon landed on him as he looked back and forth at them awkwardly.

 

'What', he mouthed. He didn't want Mr. Lee to hear that there were more people in the room. Mrs. Nam in a breath and ripped her gaze from the Transparent.

 

"We have no deal. Each member of the Trinity is equally important to me and I will not trade." She said before her voice turned tender. "Woohyun, make sure you and the others stay alive and well. We will get you out soon." She said quickly before turning the walkie-talkie off.

 

The static receded into nothing and Mrs. Nam threw the device to the ground. She gave Jonghyun a stern look and seemed to try hinting something to him. He nodded after a while and she let out a sigh of relief. Then she turned to Sunggyu, her eyes growing determined.

 

"Train as much as you both can within the next day. I will put together a rescue party to leave at sundown two days from now. Jonghyun, Sunggyu, I know it sounds far away, but I need you to prepare."

 

"But ma'am, didn't Woohyun ask for Sunggyu to remain here and recover?" Jonghyun spoke out. Mrs. Nam shifted her gaze to him.

 

"Which is more important: Woohyun's wish or my orders?" She said simply. The rebel looked down and nodded, as if he were ashamed to have asked. "Now go back to bed. Sunggyu, you can return to your room like normal." She said before dismissing them from her study.

 

When the two rebels were out of the room, Mrs. Nam let down her hard exterior. She clutched her hands into fists and stared at the discarded walkie-talkie. Without another word, she locked the door and sat back down in her chair. She would have to worry about what Mr. Lee said later. For now, she had to focus on getting Woohyun and the others back to HQ.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyy. I know I'm updating a lot now and that's because I really want to start on my other fics. I have a few saved as drafts right now and I'm super excited for them! Please look forward to the final arc! ^^