Chapter 10

Transparent

Sunggyu breathed out hard. He had been running for a while now, it was dangerous to stay in one place for too long. The red haired man made a break for a pillar, grabbing the side of the wall to hide in the crevice of the structure. He peaked out before bolting to the staircase on the other end of the hall. His lungs screamed for air as he strode up the stairs two at a time. The hallway was quiet; all the other rebels were in the training room, leaving the main building he was in empty.

 

Sunggyu slowly crept out into the middle of the hall. He looked in all directions before collapsing to the ground, completely out of breath. He tilted his head up, closing his eyes in order to regain a lot of his diminished energy. A few minutes passed, he had caught his breath and his aching legs had enough time to rest. Sunggyu opened his eyes, focusing on the roof above him. Suddenly, he gasped, jumped up on his feet, and sprinted away from what he saw. Woohyun was perched on a ledge connected to the roof, staring at him with a smug look on his face.

 

"How about you try actually hiding?" The dark haired rebel laughed, watching Sunggyu's retreating figure run down the hall. He had jumped onto the platform right before the man opened his eyes. He too had been running non-stop, trying to find the other. They were playing their game of advanced hide and seek. The rules were that they both had to hide from the other as well as try to seek the other before the other got to them first. They had started playing about half an hour ago and neither of them had won yet.

 

Woohyun jumped down off the ledge, which was thirty feet off the ground, and landed with ease before continuing on his chase. Sunggyu couldn't have gotten far, besides, Woohyun knew the whole HQ like the back of his hand. There was no way he would lose.

 

On the other side of the hall, the red head turned a corner into a different section. He realized that Woohyun was on his tail and he needed to throw him off. Not knowing what else to do, he ran into a random room, making sure to close the door behind him softly. He knew if he locked it, it would make it obvious so he kept it unlocked. Sunggyu scanned around the room for anything he could hide behind if Woohyun entered. There were a few file cabinets and a pile of books on one side. On the other side was a long table with a thin cloth draped over it, reaching the ground. They were both too obvious to hide behind.

 

"Are you in here?" Woohyun's muffled voice echoed from the hallway outside. Sunggyu panicked, he had to make his choice right now. He racked his brain for a solution, frantically looking for another place to hide. The door started to creak open slowly, as if the rebel was teasing him. Sunggyu formed a plan in his head when he noticed a notch in the wall next to the door. Woohyun entered finally, walking in casually. Sunggyu held his breath as the man strolled passed him, unaware. He had hid in the nick of time.

 

"Are you under the table cloth? Perhaps behind the book cases?" Woohyun thought out loud to himself. Sunggyu waited until the man walked further into the room before moving from his spot. Woohyun had left the door open, giving the red head easy access to the exit without being heard. "Maybe you are sneaking out of the room right now." The dark haired man continued, making Sunggyu freeze mid step. Woohyun definitely knew he was here; he was too good to miss the subtle intake of breath Sunggyu had taken as he crept to the hallway. Despite his last accusation, the dark haired rebel continued to search around the table. Sunggyu his bottom lip in nervousness before turning to slip out of the door.

 

"Where do you think you're going?" Woohyun asked, smiling triumphantly. The red haired man was jerked back into the room by his shoulders and spun around to face the rebel. How did he fail to notice the other's grip before? It had all happened in a fraction of a second, giving his mind not enough time to process it.

 

"That's not fair, you are a lot better than me." Sunggyu whined as he released himself from Woohyun's hold. The other gave a short laugh and stepped back. The way they had ended up was a little too close for each other's comfort; their noses were practically touching. "Plus," The red head added, "I don't know my way around this place." Woohyun nodded in thought.

 

"Then perhaps we should do this again once you complete your training?" He suggested. Sunggyu agreed almost immediately. The game was more fun than he had anticipated. "So, want to go get lunch?" Woohyun offered. Only then did the red head realize that he had skipped breakfast.

 

"Sure, lead the way." Sunggyu said. Woohyun took him by the hand and led him out of the hallway. Without his rebel, Sunggyu would surely be lost. They walked for a while, hand in hand, taking about everything and anything Woohyun brought up.

 

~~~~~~~

 

A few months passed, Sunggyu had just about learned everything he needed to know in order to rise up in ranks. After the first month, Nam Seungah called a meeting to graduate the new rebels from squadron seven to squadron six and five. Sunggyu had moved up to squadron five due to his results on the simulation tests. All the new rebels had to take a monthly test dealing with scenarios that would require them to use what they have used. The red head already learned and mastered most of the techniques for squadron six training so he was moved up. It was all thanks to Woohyun that Sunggyu could advance so quickly.

 

"Now that you are in squadron five, shall we do something to celebrate?" Woohyun asked as him and Sunggyu exited the crowded speech room. The newly graduated rebel looked at the other, curious as to what they might do. "How about we dye your hair again? You've kept it red for so long that your roots grew out dark again." Woohyun said, rising on his toes to see the top of the other's head. He was right; the red had grown out a full inch from his scalp and was fairly obvious to spot.

 

"Maybe I should…but only if you dye your hair as well." Sunggyu smiled, ruffling Woohyun's neatly gelled hair. The man made a pissed off sound and ducked away from the hand.

 

"Deal, but I get to choose the colors." The dark haired rebel agreed. "I know a place in town we could go to." Sunggyu's ears perked at the mention of going out. He hadn't left the HQ premises at all since he arrived. The squadron seven members were not allowed to leave without an . Sunggyu would've asked his rebel to take him out but he was either training him or out on a mission. To be honest, ever since the first month passed, Woohyun had started leaving Sunggyu's side. Sometimes they didn't train for a few days, giving the red head time by himself as Woohyun did who knows what. He couldn't blame him though; the other was a high-ranking rebel with a lot of power and responsibilities to attend to.

 

The two dispatched from HQ after getting permission from Woohyun's mom, the leader of the Dawning Trinity. Mrs. Nam was a very caring person, Sunggyu had spoke to her a few times here and there. He found out that she barely had the chance to be a mother to Woohyun. It was sad because he noticed the dark haired man treated her more as a superior and not as the one who raised him. It wasn't really his business, but Sunggyu really wished Woohyun and Mrs. Nam would bond more.

 

"Hey, come on." Woohyun said, shaking Sunggyu's side as he prepared to exit the van. The rebel had insisted on taking his personal van because it would be a long way on foot. The red head was a little bit relieved by this; he didn't think he was ready to disguise himself as a Transparent again, which were the requirements of going out. The car pulled up in front of a small shop that was decorated with posters of different hair colors on various models. They walked into the store – Sunggyu being cautious of all the customers in side, even if Woohyun had already confirmed that they were rebels too – and looked at all the dye choices.

 

"Hmm…" Woohyun hummed, scanning the rack of colors. Sunggyu stood behind him awkwardly, looking at all the hues available. One side of the rack was dedicated to sophisticated and natural colors while the other side held the vibrant colors like the bright red his hair was dyed. "I found one that would look good on you." Woohyun announced, taking a color off the rack. Sunggyu tried to see but he held it away from him. The red head sighed, why did people always have to keep his new hair color a secret?

 

"When you are ready you can sit over there." A female worker said, catching their attention. Woohyun nodded and quickly swiped another color off the rack, one he had been eyeing for a while now. They followed the woman to the empty seats. Sunggyu hesitantly sat down and faced the large vanity mirror in front of him. A different worker walked up behind him.

 

"So, what color did you want to dye your beautiful hair today?" The woman asked, running her fingers through his hair and examined his black roots. "Wow, your hair isn't damaged at all by the dye." She commented in surprise. Sunggyu smiled at her in the mirror.

 

"My past owner used some sort of sheal dye." He said, feeling proud that he had caused the woman so much shock and amazement.

 

"Ah, I see. Well, what color do you want to change to?" She asked. Sunggyu looked towards Woohyun, who was busy talking to his own stylist. He noticed the stare and looked over, making eye contact with the red head. Woohyun seemed to understand the reason Sunggyu was staring and pulled out the color he had picked off the rack. The worker took it from him and smiled.

 

"This is a great choice. Elegant yet eye catching." She said. Sunggyu tried to peek at the color through the mirror but she was holding it too low for him to see. He sighed and sat back in his chair, accepting whatever color his hair would turn out.

 

An hour passed by, Sunggyu had fell asleep in the process just like he had back when Mrs. Lee had dyed his hair red. He woke up to the feeling of warm water running down his hair. He opened his eyes and saw the stylist washing his head of the dye. Her gentle hands felt really good as they worked all the excess color out. He relaxed and closed his eyes again, enjoying the process.

 

"It looks nice." Woohyun said, standing somewhere close to him. Sunggyu looked up at his rebel. His hair was no longer a dark brown, but a dark purple and red color. It matched his tan skin tone perfectly, giving off a youthful effect. He had to admit, Woohyun didn't seem like someone who knew the fashion dos and don'ts but when the time came, he pulled through very nicely. Sunggyu couldn't help but feel excited to see his own hair. The woman turned the water off and propped him up in his seat, wrapping a warm towel around his head.

 

"I agree with him, it looks fantastic." She said, rubbing the towel on his head to dry his newly dyed hair. Finally, Sunggyu was allowed to look into a mirror.

 

"Whoa." He gasped, feeling his damp hair. It felt a bit coarser than usual, but that was the natural effect of the dye not made of sheal. His hair was a light copper brown, a lot less bright than his red hair, but it was chic and flattering and fit him surprisingly well. "I like it." Sunggyu confirmed after a long examination in the mirror. Woohyun smiled and felt his own hair.

 

"I'm glad you do. We should get back home, it's getting late." He said, briefly glancing out the windows of the store. The brown haired man nodded and thanked the workers. They left soon after Woohyun had offered to pay. Sunggyu had no choice but to agree, he didn't have any money anyway. The van had waited a few feet away from where it dropped them off. The driver sped off as soon as the two buckled in, probably tired of waiting.

 

"Tomorrow, we start a new lesson." Woohyun announced after a moment of silence. Sunggyu looked at him, trying to keep his attention on his face rather than his purple hair.

 

"Kim Sunggyu, you are getting your emotions back."  

 

~~~~~~~

 

Yaaay~ Sorry everyone about the whole keeping his hair red. I did add in a time skip though so it wouldn't be too sudden. I hope none of you get confused  because I will be writing "the brown haired man" and "the purple haired man" from now on. Anyway, I hope you liked this plot connecting chapter :D