Chapter 12

Transparent

"Why love?" Sunggyu asked in confusion for the third time since they entered Woohyun's room. The two had been lying side by side on the large navy blue bed for a while now, just staring at the ceiling in silence. The purple haired man seemed to be zoned out, as he was not responding to Sunggyu's questions. Woohyun was busy glaring at the roof, contemplating his next test.

 

"Why love…?" He breathed out, his first sound since they lay down. Sunggyu looked at his best friend curiously. "Because…then all of my theories would be confirmed." Woohyun mumbled to himself, not realizing that he was speaking out loud. The brown haired man rolled onto his side, eyeing the other rebel. Woohyun took a deep breath and his side, locking gazes. Sunggyu searched his eyes for answers, hoping he would be able to communicate with the other like they usually did through eye contact.

 

"First theory, you love me." Woohyun said, face inching closer to Sunggyu's, gazes never breaking. "Second theory…" He continued, moving closer until their noses touched. The brown haired man felt his hot breath tickle his chin as he spoke. Sunggyu wanted to shove him back but something in him forced him to stand his ground.

 

"Second theory…I love you."

 

Woohyun closed his eyes and pressed his lips to Sunggyu's. It was short and sweet, neither of them going any further than that. The brown haired man's eyes remained open, staring at his friend in shock. It was his first kiss. To be honest, it was Woohyun's first kiss, too, but that was a fact he hoped to keep a secret. The purple haired man pulled away, catching his breath. There was definitely something welling up inside of his stomach, giving him the urge to almost kiss Sunggyu again.

 

"Well, I've solved one of my theories." Woohyun confessed, flattening out on the bed. "I just need to hear one thing from you to solve the other one." Sunggyu tried to meet his eyes but Woohyun averted his gaze. "Did you…feel any emotion spark up? Like, one you never felt before maybe?" He asked with a slight blush on his warming cheeks. The whole event of kissing his best friend to understand his own feelings was getting to him. The brown haired man cocked his head onto the pillow, eyeing Woohyun's red face.

 

"It was warm and soft and nice feeling. Emotion wise…no, nothing different." Sunggyu said, thinking back to when they shared their short kiss. The once hope-filled purple haired man met his eyes, shocked from his statement.

 

"Nothing?" He asked in nothing more than a hurried whisper. Sadness flashed over his face briefly before he rolled off the bed, leaving Sunggyu to watch his back as he made his way to the door. He reached for the handle and hesitated. "Go…hang out with Dongwoo or something." Woohyun said before turning the nob and exiting the room. The brown haired rebel sat up in the bed, confused as to what just happened. Was he supposed to feel something? It seemed like Woohyun felt some sort of emotion that he didn't. Was that kiss serving as a test to regain love?

 

There were so many questions running through his mind. Despite the weight of possibly hurting his best friend, Sunggyu walked out of the room and roamed the halls until he caught sight of Sungjong. As the brown haired man walked closer, he noticed that Sungjong had a serious expression and was talking on his walkie-talkie. Sunggyu caught up to the younger and synchronized his footsteps with him. They walked in silence together for a while until Sungjong put his walkie-talkie away.

 

"You're in squadron five, right?" The younger rebel finally asked as they turned a corner. Sunggyu nodded slowly as a response, unsure of why he was asking. "We're going on a rescue mission again. There have been rumors of the head police chief torturing his Transparent. I think you're ready for your first assignment." Sungjong said, eyeing Sunggyu out of his peripheral vision. The brown haired man's ears perked at the mentioning of Transparent. He wanted to save each and every last one of them from their horrible masters. With his emotions back, Sunggyu realized how trapped he was serving the Holies, even if his life there was mostly uneventful. Why he wanted to stay, he couldn't remember. All the months he lived in the HQ had help him realize that being a rebel was so much more than being a Transparent. He could help people who actually needed it - not the tyrants he once was brought up to serve.

 

"I'm in." Sunggyu announced. Sungjong gave him an approving look and led him out of the HQ's main building to the black van outside. "Do you know who the target is?" He asked the young rebel, who shrugged in response. They got in the van not long after the small group of rebels went over the rules. Sunggyu looked up at the large building through the tinted window of the van, his eyes trailing up to where Woohyun's room supposedly was. He hadn't told anyone he was leaving with the rescue team. Hopefully no one would be looking for him, although some part of him secretly wished his best friend would notice his absence.

 

The van pulled up at a street light a few blocks down from the target's home. It was early in the evening; the police chief would be in his office downtown at this time, giving the rebels a perfect chance to rescue the Transparent.

 

"Stay out of sight and follow us." Sungjong warned Sunggyu, jumping out of the van and stealthily hiding in the underbrush next to the road. The brown haired rebel followed suit, making sure his footsteps were light on the ground. Sungjong was the only other rebel he recognized on the mission so he trailed after him until they reached the fence surrounding the lavish house. The neighborhood looked really familiar to him and he couldn't help but feel slight déjà vu as he looked around.

 

One of the rebels made a short whistle sound, cueing the other rebels to make their move. Sunggyu jumped out of his hiding place and scaled the fence after Sungjong. Once inside of the target's premises, the squad broke up into pairs of two like they had planned earlier. Sungjong ran off with his partner, leaving Sunggyu with a tall and skinny man.

 

"Let's head up to the roof. There must be a window we can open somewhere." Minho said. Sunggyu nodded and climbed up the side of the house next to his partner. Choi Minho was a past Transparent from two years higher than Sunggyu. They had just barely gotten to speak before the mission but the brown haired man knew that Minho was very skilled at breaking and entering. The roof was heavily slanted, giving them enough coverage to stay hidden as they made it to the first window on the highest level of the house. Minho unsheathed his dagger and tried his luck at the lock.

 

"This one is too rusted. We need to go down a level." He declared before dropping down to the next window. Sunggyu watched as Minho descended with ease and swiftly flicked open the lock of the window. "Get in." He said before disappearing into the house, leaving Sunggyu alone and fifty feet above ground. The brown haired man propelled himself into the window with a little difficulty. When he looked around the room, Minho had been long gone, leaving a door open for Sunggyu to find him.

 

"Level 3 clear." The brown haired man heard Minho say into his walkie-talkie from the next room over. Sunggyu knew that meant that the whole top floor, where they were, was empty. The tall man walked up to Sunggyu and dragged him down a floor. The brown haired man could barely glance around the room because Minho had really long strides, making him focus on keeping up with him. Out of the corner of Sunggyu's eye, something stood out, causing him to halt.

 

"Wait!" Sunggyu yelled in a hushed voice. Minho stopped walking, releasing Sunggyu from his grip. The brown haired rebel walked over to a door he never noticed before. He bent down to the ground level, where that something had caught his eye. At first, he could see what he was looking for, until he leaned in such a way to see the sun reflecting off of a small puddle of liquid. Sunggyu realized that it was blood as he moved closer to inspect it.

 

"The Transparent is here." He declared, standing up and facing the shabby looking door in front of him. Minho walked over, examining the lock.

 

"Give me a second." Minho said, backing up a bit. Sunggyu gave him a curious glance before jumping back in shock. Minho had full on body slammed the door to the ground. It wasn't very well kept to begin with so it wasn't impossible to do. Sunggyu slowly entered the dark room. There were no windows or any sources of light, immediately making the mood turn dark. Someone radioed in to Minho's walkie-talkie, saying they heard the ruckus from downstairs.

 

"Is anyone here?" Sunggyu called out, slightly glancing around the room even though he couldn't see anything. The two rebels flinched in surprise as the sound of chains echoed through the darkness. It was a horrible sound of metal hitting metal, sliding across the creaking wooden floor. Sunggyu felt the hairs on the back of his neck stand as a shiver ran down his spine. "A-are you the Transparent?" He asked, voice shaking. At that moment, he wished he never recovered the emotion of fear.

 

"Sunggyu…?" A hoarse voice called out. The brown haired man let out a shaking breath. How did that Transparent know him? Sunggyu walked forward into the darkness, feeling his way around the room slowly. Minho stayed in his place by the exit with his dagger drawn. "Sunggyu, it's me." The voice called again, this time clearer. It was if the person hadn't used his voice in weeks. The brown haired man replayed the sound in his mind before gasping, recognizing the Transparent's voice.

 

"Sungyeol?"

 

 

~~~~~~~~

 

I'm so so so so so so sorry for not updating in a whole week! I had so many things due in school and I had my birthday over the weekend. Also I got Assassin's Creed Rogue just two days ago so I've been dedicating my time to that instead of writing…At least this is my last week before winter break! :D Also I got myself Ezio Aditore shimejis that I will never get rid of. THEY ARE SO CUTE ACUOASDLJKBFNWEDLSKAFD