chappie~ 8

It Was You

"Kris gege~?" Tao asked with a frown. He looked at him then at the girl sitting on the couch.

"Yes. That's Xie." he said with a not so happy smile. "You'll be with me all the time okay. You're not allowed to go anywhere without me while she's here."

"Wha~? But why?" Tao asked.

"I won't be able to talk to her calmly if you're not beside me. I feel in peace when you're near me you know." he smiled to him.

"Gosh gege~! You really think this is the right time to flirt with me?" he rolled his eyes as a joke. "I'll take this to her."

Tao pull up the tray with juice and some cookies then walked to Xie. Kris trailed behind him like a lost puppy who's following his owner. The older is back to grumpy when he got near to his ex-wife who looks so nervous and fidgety on her seat.

"Whe. ..when will I be able to see her?" she asked nervously.

"didn't I say that she's asleep so you need to wait?" Kris grumpily said.

"So. ..sorry." she said then looked down. Tao feels like he's in between of the two, it doesn't feel good at all.

"Miss Xie. Please have some. I'll go check Yi~" he put the tray in front of her.

The woman is beautiful. She's tall like a model. Her skin is pinkish white. Her cheeks are painted red, natural blush. Her eyelashes are so long and thick, it looks so good on her perfectly shaped, sparkling eyes. His nose is so pointy and her lips looks so kissable with those pink lip gloss. The way she dress just looks so cool, like one of those models you'll see on tv and magazines. She's just wearing a pair of plain pants and a white fitted shirt but damn! She totally rocked it! Her hair is curly and wavy like the one on tv commercials.

She was so breathtaking that Tao suddenly stopped moving and stared at her unconsciously for a while. She looks like an angel, like she'll never be able to commit any mistake that she already did. Tao suddenly wanted to hide somewhere in the house. Somewhere Kris won't be able to see him. He's a guy and he can't even dress properly like her. He wonders why of all the people Kris would ask him if he could court him. Maybe his boss is blind.

"Thank you." she said with an awkward smile.

"Welcome. I. ..I'll go see if Yi's awake." Tao said.

"I'll come with you." Kris said but he was stopped by Tao.

"Stay here gege~. Don't leave your guest alone." he said. He pushed Kris down to the couch then immediately escape. There's only silence after Tao left. There's no way Kris is going to be all friendly with her after everything she did to him and Yi. Kris told himself that he already forgave Xie for cheating because he was at fault too but he will never forgive her for cutting ties with him and forgetting about her daughter.

"Who. ..who's the kid?" Xie asked.

"ZiTao. Yi's mama." Kris liked the reaction that the woman gave him. He's not sure what was the look on her face but it's definitely not a good one.

"You're gay?"

"No."

"Bu. ..But you said.. ."

"He is Yi's babysitter and. ..I'm courting him right now." he bragged.

"Then you're gay." she accused.

"What is it to you? And no. I'm not gay." he said in a cold tone.

Xie stopped talking but Kris can feel that she's burning holes on his skin. She's staring. Maybe she cannot believe what she just heard. Kris doesn't care though, there's nothing to hide. He likes Tao and it's true that he's courting him now so he's good. After another minutes of silence Kris finally heard footsteps on the stairs. He doesn't hear Yi though~ maybe she's still asleep. He waited for Tao to come and he was surprised to see the younger carrying Yi and the big panda stuff toy at the same time. 

"Why didn't you call me?" Kris immediately ran to Tao's aid. They might fall after all.

"She's still a little bit sleepy. She said she won't get up if I don't take Mr. Panda with her downstairs." the younger reasoned. "You have a guest . ..so. .." the little girl immediately shoot up.

"Guest?" she asked brightly.

"Yhup. FanFan have a guest. Be good and greet her okay?" Tao said to the little girl who nods to him.

Yi searched the room to see where the guest is and her sparkling eyes landed on the beautiful woman that was staring at her and looks like she was about to shed tears any moment at the the sofa. The little girl is in awe. Tao thought maybe because just like him, Yi thinks the woman is beautiful. Yi acted differently though. Usually when there's a guest she's excited and happy. Well, guest are actually named as LuHan, Yixing, Chen, Xiumin and the other staffs at Fan-Qin. Xie's face is new so she's shy, that's the only conclusion on Tao's mind.

"Yi~ FanFan needs to tell you something okay? Promise me you won't hate me or anything. I really really really would die if you hate me." Kris said.

"Yi won't hate FanFan! Yi loves FanFan!!" the little girl said in a cheerful tone. It made Tao and Kris smile.

"Okay. So uhm~ that woman..." Kris pointed at Xie. ". ..she's your mom." he said straightforwardly. Tao and Xie was so surprised. How can he say that in a blink of an eye. He didn't even warn them or gave out a signal before saying that. They're actually both fine with it but. ..they're worried for Yi. How is she going to take.. .

"Oh~" the little girl just said. It interrupts all of Tao's thoughts.

"That's all? Just an 'Oh'?" Tao asked anyone who could answer him whether Xie or Kris. He just can't believe at the reaction the little girl gave out.

"He. ..hello~" the little girl greeted Xie.

"Hi baby." the woman said as she walk to them. "I. ..I'm sorry I came too late." she finally cried.

"Don't cry." Yi said. "TaoTao~~!! Tissue~~!!" she said cutely. Since Tao is still holding Yi he cannot really move so Kris silently volunteered to get some tissue.

"Here." Kris said while giving Xie a box of tissue. "Stop crying. She doesn't like it when someone is crying." he said coldly.

"So. ..sorry." she wiped her tears then looked at Yi again. "I miss you so much baby." she said to her. "Can. ..can mama hug you?" she asked.

Yi looked at Kris first as if asking for permission so he nods. Then after him she looked at Tao, he nods too. He smiled at Yi then put her down so she and her mama can hug each other. While the two girls are hugging, Tao glanced at Kris. The older is not showing any touched expression at all, he looks grumpy. His eyebrows are meeting each other's end and he's crossing his arms while slightly pouting.

"I love you so much Yi.. .you don't know how much I missed you." Xie said as she hugs Yi as tight as she can. The little girl is quiet. She's not talking at all, not even hugging her mama back and not even moving on her own. She looks like a little doll that's getting squished by the older woman.

"Okay! That's enough! You're killing my daughter!" Kris said as he separate the two. "Yi~ do you want to say anything to your mama?" he asked her. Yi hesitated. She keeps on looking to Tao then to Kris then to Xie then to Tao again to Kris again and to Xie again. That routine happened for like, five times until she finally stopped and meet Tao's eyes.

"TaoTao!!" she called as she stretch her small little arms asking to be carried. Tao immediately and effectively went to her and carry her. "I love you too mama but. ..I won't go with you. Yi will stay with FanFan and TaoTao and grannie~ and uncle XingXing, uncle LuLu, uncle ChenChen and uncle baozi." she said then he turned her back on her mama. She hugged Tao's neck so hard and tight as if scared to get taken away by force. Kris looks so proud. Tao is right, he should just trust Yi's love for him. He'll be fine now, knowing Yi chose him and not her long lost and never once seen mother.

"Mama won't take you away from them Yi." Xie said. The little girl turned to her again. "But.. .can mama stay here with you? I want to be with you baby."

"NO!" Kris answered. "You're not welcome here anymore." he said in an angry voice. "I can't believe you Xie! How can you decide on your own? THIS! is not your house! It was, once! But now.. .it's not anymore! You heard my daughter she won't go with you so. .."

"Gege~!!" Tao stopped him by pulling his arms. He looked at the younger who was glaring at him. Tao's eyes gestured and told him to look at Yi. When he does, he saw his daughter hugging Tao's neck so hard. She looks so scared and pitiful.

"I. ..I didn't decide on my own. That's why I'm asking Yi. I want to be with her YiFan. Please.. .If I have to kneel. ..I'll do it. Just let me be with her." Xie said.

"Go to the garden! We'll talk later!" Kris said to her before pulling Tao and Yi to his room.

"Gege~! You shouldn't leave Miss Xie alone." Tao said. "You should talk to her. Calmly."

"I said I'll talk to her later." he said before he caressed Yi's back who's trembling. "Yi~ did FanFan scare you?" he asked her daughter who slowly turned to him. "You're shouting." she said. "Mm~ I'm sorry. FanFan is so scared that your mama will take you away from me. I don't want that." he said. Tao let go of Yi so she can hug his papa.

"Yi won't go with her." she said then she kissed her papa's cheeks. "Yi will stay here with FanFan"

"You do that Princess~!" he said then he kissed her puffy cheeks. "But. .. .can Yi spend time with her? I want to be with mama too." it surprised them both. The little girl is still innocent and clueless to everything and maybe, just maybe, she's still dreaming about having a mother. Kris looked at Tao as if asking for help. The younger was surprised too so he doesn't know what to tell the older. They just stared at each other for a long time. Yi started pouting, thinking the answer is already NO judging at the silence that they gave her as an answer. Tao thinks, he needs to think, for Kris.

"do you really really really want to be with your mama?" Tao asked.

"Mm~' Yi wants her here." she answered.

"Can I ask why?"

"Yi wants to get to know her. Mama is still my mama." she said. "Yi finally has a mama."

"Yi~" Kris joined. "is fanfan not enough?" the little girl shook her head violently.

"FanFan is enough!!!" she said. "but. ..Mama is a plus."

Kris took a deep breathe, so does Tao and so does Yi. The three of them kept on exchanging glances and then sighing again. They look like a real family when they're on sync like that. It's like they have the telepathy thing.

"Both of you stay here! You're not allowed to get out until I told you so okay?" Kris stood up then walked out of his room leaving Tao and Yi. Kris went to the garden where Xie is obediently waiting to anyone to come out. She's just sitting there while fiddling with his fingers like a kid. He remembered she used to do that when she's nervous and doesn't know what to do.

"Xie." he called her. She immediately turned to him and stand up from the chair she was sitting on.

"Ye. ..yes?"

"Yi has decided. You can stay here." he said with a defeated sigh. "But!!.. .there are rules! I don't want you here on weekends. When mom is here you'll leave, the same when I have guests. I don't want them to think that were back together because that's never gonna happen. Also. Tao is not to leave Yi's side. You two are not allowed to spend time together alone! Tao has to be there, quietly watching over my daughter."

"YiFan. .."

"and don't call me that.. ."

"Kris. ..Isn't that a little unfair and cruel? As I said. ..she's my daughter too."

"Weren't you unfair and cruel too when you left her? She grew up without you and I'm not risking anything that will make my daughter sad or will leave her thinking a lot of inappropriate things." he crossed his arms. "It's that or you can leave. If you want to, you can sue me but I'm telling you. ..I'll win in court. You commit adultery." Xie didn't talk for a while. She's guilty and it's showing on her expression. Kris might've become so busy at work and he forgot that he has a home, a daughter and a wife to return to, he admitted he was wrong when he did all that. But, he never once forget the love he has for them. He knows Xie too well, probably more than she knows herself. Just that, when Kris became workaholic, responsibilities has taken it's toll.

"Okay. Call." she said.

"Okay. Return on Monday. I want to spend this week alone with Yi." it was clearly an order. She had no choice but to follow every rules that Kris is giving.

"Okay. I. ..I'll see you on Monday then.. ..but.. .can I at least say goodbye to Yi today?" Kris raised his eyebrows but then he sighed.

"I'll go call her." he said then he left again.

Everything in his life is escalating so quickly. He was starting to think he was loved by the God of Time for making everything in his life happens so fast. It starts when Xie confessed to him, the next thing he know is he's dating her. Then next he was marrying her, then she got pregnant. The best thing of all is, when Yi came to his life. After that, he became workaholic then Xie cheated and left. Yi grew up and then he met Tao which is his 2nd most precious now.. .and then. ..all of a sudden, Xie is coming back to his life. Now he's scared that one of the days in the future, he'll see himself alone. Without his mom, without Yi and without Tao.

When Kris entered his room, he heard Yi and Tao having a heart to heart conversation. It looks like they're making promises to each other. Everything is such a chaos but at least, Kris has his two precious' to return to.

"So? Why am I not included to this promise thing?" Kris interrupted the two who was locking their promises with their pinky finger.

"FanFan! Yi promised she won't leave TaoTao!" she said cheerfully.

"What about me Yi? Won't you promise to me too?" he asked as he sit on the bed beside Tao and Yi.

"Ohhh~~~!! Yi promise that she won't leave FanFan too" she said then she raised her pinky finger to lock their promise.

"Promise?" Kris asked.

"Promiseee!!!" Yi said. "I love FanFan and TaoTao!!"

"I love you too!" Kris and Tao said in a perfect unison.

"I love you more." Kris said while playfully looking at Tao who blushed as soon as he saw the older looking at him. "Come on. Your mama said she wants to say goodbye to you before she leaves."

"Mama's leaving again?" Yi asked.

"Yes. But she will come back on Monday. Her name is Xie by the way. What're you gonna call her?" Kris asked.

"Mm~" Yi thinks. ".. .mama. ..just mama." she said.

"Okay then. Mama it is." he hugged her. "Come on." he lift her up and get out of bed.

Tao quietly followed behind them. Kris would tease the younger by looking back and smirking but he shrug it off. The older is such a flirt and so natural at it. No one would guess that he's actually going through into something if they saw him like that. Xie's mood brighten up when he saw Kris coming out of the house with Yi on his arms. She looks happy and excited at the same time. Tao feels insecure and out of place, now that Xie is back to Kris and Yi's life, he's scared that the day when he needs to leave the house is getting sooner and sooner.

"Yi~" she calls out. Kris put the little girl down and he stayed at the door with Tao behind him. Yi walked to her mama slowly as he looks back at her papa from time to time as if asking if it's really okay. Kris was returning her looks with a smile to assure her that everything is good.

"Ma. ..ma~" she said. Xie extended her arms as Yi comes closer. She hugged her daughter and peppered her with kisses on the cheeks. The little girl giggles while her mama is doing that. They both looks happy and they look the same. It hit Kris so hard, he never once realized how Yi resembles Xie.

"Mama will come back next Monday okay? Wait for me.. ." she hugged her.

"Okay. Yi will wait for mama." Yi said while smiling.

"Please do." she hugged her one last time. "I need to go now okay? I love you Yi~"

"I love you too mama." she said.

Xie bid farewell to them. She thanked Kris too for giving her a chance to be with her daughter. She didn't even look at Tao though, she completely ignored him like he's not there. Tao was worried at the woman's behavior, he wondered if he somehow did something unconsciously that made the woman hate him.

When Xie is gone Kris talked to Yi. He explained to her the situation and she said she's fine with anything as long as him and Tao will always be there by her side. She also said she just wants to get to know her mama and that's all. She promised her love for Kris won't waver and she promised that if her mama somehow convinced her to leave and come with her, she will immediately tell them. Tao was so quiet ever since Xie left and Kris felt that the younger is bothered by something. He encouraged himself by assuming that the younger is jealous. He told Yi to play on her room while he and Tao is talking.

"So? You said earlier "Why not?" that's definitely a Yes right?" Kris asked.

"Forget about that gege.. .let's talk about Miss Xie.. .did.. .did I do something wrong?"

"Why are you thinking that?"

"She glared at me for a little while and. ..she didn't even glanced at me before she leaves." she said worriedly.

"Oh that. She's always like that. Don't mind her. She's always referred by other person as rude because she doesn't say good bye to anyone she just met." he got near the younger. "Don't worry about it."

"But.. ."

"Tao'er~" he said in a gentle voice. ". ..I said forget about it. ..and.. .don't bother getting liked by her. I'm telling you she's not worth your time. Me and Yi~ we are the ones who worth you time." he ruffled his hair.

"O.. .okay." the younger simply said.

That week, Kris, Yi and Tao spends almost everyday together. If Kris needs to go to work, he's taking the two with him and when it's not too busy at the restaurant he's staying at home to be with them. Luhan and Yixing was fine managing Fan-Qin, they both feel sympathy to Kris that's why they're letting him slack off a little. Kris told them the situation and they promised that if the he needs anything, they're always there to help. Luhan and Yixing are both friends with Xie before too. But, after what she did which was clearly more wrong than what Kris did, they both stopped being her friend. She cheated, she left without saying anything to anyone with another man and she cut ties with Yi. All and all, they both think that Xie is irresponsible.

Tao was still the same good and happy kid Kris has known. but sometimes he would caught the younger staring into nothing, thinking about something Kris will never know what. He's fine with it though, once in his life he was like that too. When Xie left he's always staring into space too, thinking about a lot of things.

There's only problem for Kris, he can feel that Tao is kind of avoiding him. The younger is not letting them be alone anymore. When he was entering his room to hang out Tao would give unreasonable excuses to escape. He knows it well but he chose not to say anything about it. At least not until he can still hold back.

Yi was happy the whole week. She's so excited and keeps on bragging to his Uncle Yixing, Luhan, Chen, Xiumin and all of her papa's employee that the next Monday she will spend time with her mama. Seriously it was breaking Kris' heart a little but, seeing his daughter happy is making him happy too.

Sunday, Kris invited Tao and Yi to go on a movie date at the mall with him, and just like the past few days, Tao refused. The younger said the two of them should bond while he's at home doing chores. You know what happened next, Kris is not convinced so Tao got dragged to the mall.

"Tao, do you have a problem?" Kris asked while Yi is busy playing on the mall's playground. The younger is just staring at him.

"No? Then. ..do WE have a problem?" the younger shook his head immediately.

"I'm sorry gege~ am I always dazed?"

"Yes. Ever since that day when Xie came. I told you didn't I? You shouldn't worry about her attitude. I'm assuring you she's always like that." he said.

"It's not that gege~.. ."

"Then what it is? I don't want you avoiding me anymore Tao. I thought I'm courting you now? Did you change your mind?" he frowned. Tao shook his head again, now with a blush creeping on his cheeks. "Then what it is?"

".. .I.. .I was just worried."

"About what?"

".. .about the day where I'll need to leave Yi and the house."

"Leave? Why would you leave??"

".. .Because Miss Xie is back and Yi doesn't need a baby sitter anymore."

"Who said that?"

"No one but, that's how it goes right? I'm sure Miss Xie will never leave Yi's side anymore. I'm not needed anymore." he said sadly.

"Tao'er~" he sat closer to him. "Even if Yi doesn't need you anymore. ..what about me? Didn't I say I'm in-love with you? I need you." Tao blushed so hard, heart pounding so hard and embarrassment in a good way hit him hard. Everything is hard. What should he say? What if he said something wrong? What if he hurts Kris? What if everything is just a dream? Everything is a question too.

"Ge~ . .I. .."

"No. Don't say anything Tao'er.. .Just promise me you won't leave and I'll promise that I'll do anything to keep you by my side. By our side." the older looked pitiful and Tao doesn't have the heart to say no to that face. ". .please... .Tao'er."

"I. ...I'll stay. ..but.. .if Yi doesn't need me anymore. ..then please let me stay at the restaurant. I'll work there. Even for free... .I don't want to become a burden... .is it .. .okay?"

"Yes. It's okay. Let's seal our promise." the older said as he capture Tao's hand and kissed it. The younger could definitely die happy now. He just felt Kris' lips against his skin, AGAIN. It felt like heaven with a lot of hell hidden on the inner sights but, Tao is ready now. They made a promise and he's not one to break promises.

"Ehhhh~~~!!!!" Yi suddenly entered the picture. "FanFan!!! Why did you kiss TaoTao's hand???" she asked.

"We.. .uhm. ..ah.. ." Tao panicked. His stuttering made the older snickered.

"We just sealed a promise Yi~" Kris answered.

"Oh~!" she said then thinks for a second. "TaoTao and Yi made a promise before too! Yi' didn't seal the promise!!" The little girl ran to them and jumped to Tao. He immediately and effectively catches the little girl on his arms and made sure she won't fall. Kris just watched in amusement at how Tao is so used to Yi's sudden attack now. Before the younger would panic whenever Yi is jumping to him out of nowhere. "Let's seal our promise too!" Yi said in a cheerful tone.

"should I kiss your hand?" Tao asked and the little girl nods. He did as told, he kissed her tiny little hands then smiled at her after.

"Can Yi kiss TaoTao's hand too?"

"yes.. .of course." he said a little hesitant.

The three of them sealed their promises that they won't leave each other's side no matter what. Tao feels so happy, it's like he got himself an instant family and a place he can call home. He wants to stay with them for the rest of his life, work is no problem. He could do everything for free as long as he can be with them, something he never dreamed off after his own parents died.

 

-//-

 

Monday, 6:30am. Tao and Yi slept on Kris' room again. The father and daughter is still asleep, Tao is the only one who's awake. He carefully get out of the bed and did his daily routine. Washed his face even if the tap water is cold. After that he went to the kitchen and started cooking breakfast for Yi~, Kris and himself. He suddenly remembered that Xie will come that day too so he cooked a little more for her.

While he's happily flipping the pancakes on the pan, Yi and Kris quietly walked behind him and surprised him. The pancake literally flee from the pan to the kitchen sink that was on the other end of the kitchen counter. The two laughed while Tao is scolding them while both of his hands is on his chest. If anyone saw how cute they are they would all think that they really are a family of three. Kris is the papa, Yi is the daughter and Tao is the mama a.k.a. the other papa.

Tao served the food while Kris and Yi is talking. Kris reminded his daughter not to go anywhere with Xie without Tao. He told her that he's scared that the woman would take her away secretly and will never return her to him. Yi is kind of scared but she obediently nods. She even suggested getting a phone with a GPS tracker just like the one Tao has. Kris thinks it's a good idea so he planned to get one for Yi later that day. Tao fed Yi while Kris is watching them. A very cute view in his eyes. His precious little girl with his precious soon to be lover boy. He's determined to get Tao' heart and he would do everything to make the younger fall for him sooner.

Before the breakfast ends, the doorbell rang. Kris witnessed how stiff Tao has become. He walked to him and patted his back while whispering, everything will be alright. When the younger stopped fidgetting he pats his head and volunteered to open the door. He walked to the hallway to the front door grumpily.

Xie is really getting on his nerves and on the way of his love life. If Tao hadn't made him realize that Xie has a right to Yi too, he's sure that he will never accept her in their life ever again. He opened the door with an attitude. He crossed his arms and stands there like a boss. The first thing that his eye catches is the luggage behind the woman. There's a lot of suitcase, it looks like when she ran away before when they're still teenagers.

"What's with all the luggage?" he asked as he raise his eyebrows.

"I've been staying on a hotel. Since I'll be here most of the time, this amount is only right. Right?" she said with a smile. God that's pissing Kris off. "Will I be staying on our old room?"

" No! Tao will stay in my room. You'll stay on his room." he said.

"His room? You get the house renovated?" she asked again.

"No. I made my employee clean the storage room."

"Storage room? You'll let me sleep on the storage room?" she asked in a offended tone.

"Will you stop over reacting. It's clean because Tao has been sleeping there. It has an aircon too so stop sounding like I'm torturing you." he said. "Come on in before I change my mind." Xie came in. She was smiling when she came, but she's not so smiling now. She's unamused of course. Kris likes it, since he was abandoned before, a little revenge for everything is not that bad right. "Can't I stay on our room?"

"You mean MY room?" face. "NO. If you don't want to sleep there then you can leave now."

"I. ..I'll stay." she said determined.

They entered the house. Kris didn't even helped her, there's no point on being all nice and friendly to the ex-wife who cheated and abandoned them so he let her do all the work. She's struggling to get all her luggage inside the house and she's making it so obvious. But Kris didn't bat an eyelash, he just stared at her. When she's done, she asked where her daughter is and Kris told her the little girl is in the kitchen having breakfast with Tao. She just nods then walked freely to the kitchen as if it is still her house. That pissed Kris off more.

When Xie entered the kitchen she saw Tao feeding Yi. She immediately said Hi to her daughter. Hugged her and kissed her cheeks. She gave Tao the look and the younger stood up as soon as he gets the message. Xie sat on the chair where Tao just stood up from and she continued feeding Yi.

Tao is certain now. For some odd and unknown reason, Xie hates him. She didn't even say Hi to him which is kind of rude no matter who you ask. All she did was give him the look of an unamused mother and that's all.