chappie~ 2

It Was You

The next day Kris woke up when his phone vibrated. He slides his long fingers to the screen and answered the call without looking who it is. When he said hello, LuHan shouted so loud that he almost threw his phone on the other end of the room. Luhan scolded him because it was already 10am and he's still not at Fan-Qin, he said a 'little late' is like an hour late but Kris is 3 hours late already. Kris stood up immediately only to sit back down because he's dizzy from the sudden movement. Kris told LuHan that he'll just take a bath and head over there as soon as he fixed himself. He wondered why he slept on the couch and not on his empty king sized bed. He ended the call and went to the bathroom only to be surprised by a guy that was having a hard time to wash his stinging face. 

"OMG!" he almost shouted.

"G.. .Good Morning. I'm sorry~ I used your bathroom without your permission." Tao pulled the towel beside the big mirror and wiped his face. When Kris had a better view of the boys battered face he remembered that he took him in last night. He took a deep breath and slapped himself mentally for even forgetting about it. 

"Good morning Tao. It's okay." he kindly smiled to him. "How do you feel?"

"Much better.. .but my whole body hurts.. ..and.. ." His stomach growled so loud so he doesn't really have to say it anymore. Saves him the embarrassment of admitting and saying it out loud. Kris didn't have enough time to stop himself and before he knew it he's already laughing. That was the very first time he heard someone else's stomach growling so loud. 

"Le. ..let me wash my face first.. ." he pat Tao's head. "I'll cook for you." 

"I'm so sorry for the trouble.. .I promise I'll pay you back when I found a part time job." Tao said with a blush. 

"A simple thank you from you would be able to pay me back Tao." he said before washing his face. 

Tao waited for him to finish then after wiping his face they head off to the kitchen that was on the first floor of the house. When they reached the kitchen Yi and Kris' mom is there eating some sandwich that looks very delicious in Tao's eyes. Tao greeted them politely, he tried to bow too but half-way Kris stopped him because he has a bandage on his stomach and he knows it would hurt Tao a lot if he did the bow. 

"Ah! Granny~! The guy!" Yi pointed at Tao. 

"Yi was talking about you last night while we're taking a bath. She said she saw a passed out angel with hurt face." she chuckled. Tao looked at Kris as if asking for permission if he can talk, Kris smiles to him. 

"Yi~ his name is Tao." Kris introduced him. 

"Taw?... ." 

"Ta-O" Kris repeated. 

"TA. ..O?" Yi repeated cutely. Kris nods to his daughter then did a thumbs up then Yi looked at Tao and smiled cutely at him. "Tao-Tao!" he called him. Kris laughed while he's preparing some ham and eggs. 

"She loves repeating someone's name. I hope you don't mind." Kris told Tao.

"Ah no." Tao shook his head violently. 

"Good. It was kind of cute too actually." Tao's little pout didn't go unnoticed by Kris. "She calls me FanFan." Kris told Tao so he won't be sad thinking he's the only one with a cute nick name. 

"Tao-Tao. You want?" Yi offered her sandwich to Tao. 

"Oh~ Thank you Yi. ..you're so kind but I won't accept it. Eat it so you'll grow taller just like your dad." 

Tao gently pat Yi's head. Kris' mom looked at Kris and secretly mouthed 'He's a good kid'. Kris smiled and nods to his mom. While he's cooking, he and his mom watch as Tao plays with Yi. For some reason Yi looks so comfortable talking to Tao which is rare because Yi doesn't talk to anyone beside her grandma and Kris. LuHan and Yixing cannot even make her look at them. 

"Yi likes you a lot." Kris said as he sets the food down in front of Tao.

"She does?" he asked as he eyes the food. 

"Dig in." Kris said before sitting across the table, in front of Tao. 

"She doesn't talk to anyone beside me and his dad." Kris mom joined the conversation. 

"Really?" 

"Yes. Let's eat first before the food gets cold." Kris ate his food deliciously, Tao was so hungry and instead of being shy in-front of the good people he just met, he dig in too at the same manner as the other night. 

"FanFan! TaoTao is cute. Can Yi marry TaoTao?" the little girls asked. Kris spit his food. Literally. He got scolded by his mom because it reached her. Tao is getting stared by Yi. The ham that he was eating was stucked between his lips as he look at Kris with an owl-eyes. 

"NO! you said you'll only marry me!" Kris childishly said. 

"But Yi thinks TaoTao is cute." the little girl walked to Tao and asked him to carry her. 

Tao swallowed the ham without chewing it and lifted Yi and sit her on his lap. The little girl smiled proudly at his dad and grandmother as if he just gotten a boyfriend and she was very proud of it. Kris was about to convince Yi to marry him again instead of Tao but LuHan called again. He answered it and told LuHan he doesn't feel like going to work because he was broken hearted. Luhan lashed at him and said if he's not at Fan-Qin at 30 minutes then he'll close the shop and go on a date with Yixing. Kris brings himself to the bathroom and took a 5 minutes bath and another 5 minutes to wear his business clothes. When Kris was about to go he checked Yi also to say goodbye. Tao is with his daughter, they're both watching tv. 

"Where's mom?" Kris asked. 

"She left, she said something about groceries?" Tao answered.

"What!? But I just did the groceries last night?" 

"She said you forgot her soap." Tao answered again.

"Ugh~" Kris groaned. "But I need to leave now." 

"Ah~ I'll take care of Yi." Tao volunteered. 

"Tao. You can't even wash your face properly this morning. How can you take care of Yi?" 

"I'll be fine. Yi is a good girl. She'll do whatever I say. Right Yi?" he asked the little girl. 

"Yhup! Good girl!" she salutes at Tao. Kris wanted to take a picture of his daughter but he would look like an idiot if he did that while Tao is looking. 

"Uuugghhhhh~~~~!!!" he groaned more. "Moooommmmmm~~~~" he called her. "Fine! You two come with me! I really can't leave you two here alone." 

"Fan-Qin? Yi can come?" she asked cutely. 

"Yes baby. But will you promise FanFan that you'll be a good girl and you'll stay at my office with TaoTao?" Kris asked. 

"abs. .lutely! FanFan!" Yi answered. 

Kris lifted up his daughter and dressed her. He lends some of his clothes to Tao again and told him to wear a mask if he feels uncomfortable with people looking at his battered face, the younger declined the offer. When the three of them are ready Kris hurriedly starts the engine of his car and took off. LuHan is a man of his words so if says he'll do it then he really will, that's why Kris is in a hurry. 

The restaurant was unbelievably close, it only took them five minutes of drive. Tao suddenly felt weak again after he played with Yi that morning. He cannot take the girl's energy since he was weak and in pain at the moment. Kris kinda sensed that Tao is in pain but the younger is trying to hide it, he took a mental note to let him rest on his office later.

Luhan and Yixing squealed like high school girls when they saw Kris carrying Yi on his arms. They love Yi so much but the girl is always so grumpy whenever she's seeing them. Luhan and Yixing was clueless why, all of the girls loves them even grandmas and kids, Yi is the only exception, she only likes Kris. 

"Hello Yi~" Yixing took out some chocolate on his pocket. He always has that in case Kris shows up with Yi which is always happening. "Here~ uncle Xing made chocolate for you." he tried to gave it to her but she only looked at it then hugged his papa's neck again. 

"Yi. Uncle Xing is giving you a chocolate. You don't want it?" Kris asked. She shook her head violently and that broke Yixing's heart. 

"TaoTao? you eat choco?" Yi suddenly talked while looking at Tao who was behind Kris and looking at her. 

"Chocolate is the best. Why don't you accept it?" Tao smiled at Yi. The girl smiled shyly to Tao before letting go of her father's neck to turn to Yixing again. Everyone was surprised to see Yi holding out her small hands to accept the chocolates that Yixing is giving. He gave it to her with a smile and she accepts it. 

"Tha. ..nk y. ..ou." she smiled cutely. ". .cle, XingXing." 

"Ohhhhh~~~~!!!" an amused LuHan shook Yixing who was happy too. "Who's that kid Kris!?" he asked. 

"He's Tao. I saw him passed out beside my car last night and he has no place to go so I'm taking him in for a while."

"You're taking me in?" Tao suddenly asked. 

"Yes?" Kris answered surprised at the question because he believes it was already obvious. "I am.. .until your strong and healed at least. But if you want to leave . .." 

"No. I'm. ...I want to. ..." Tao shook his head. ". ..please let me stay. I. ..I have nowhere to go."

"I figured. Come on." he tilted his head to the stairs to ask Tao to follow him. "Lu, this guy still needs to rest. I'll take him to my office first then me and Yi will come down again okay?"

"Okay." he did an Okay sign to his best friend then looked at Tao.

"Your name's Tao right?" 

"Yes. Uh~. ."

"I'm LuHan and that's Yixing." he pointed at his other best friend that is now tending to some customers. "Let's chat later. ..and.. .thank you for making Yi accept the chocolate. We worked hard on that chocolate." he smiled to him.

"I. ...I didn't do anything. .." he blushed. Tao felt happy. 

Yes, the people he was with on the bar he was working was nice. He even made some friends with some of them but it took him a lot of time to be comfortable around those peoples. But now, at the restaurant, he doesn't know why but, he felt so belonged and warm and at home. It's like Kris' house and the restaurant has that warm aura that a home sweet home is giving.

"Tao. Come on." Kris called Tao again. 

"TaoTao~~~!!!" Yi called him too. Tao bowed to LuHan and followed Kris upstairs. His office was nice, it's so cozy and it doesn't look like an office, it looks like the living room on Kris' house. 

"Lie down to the couch over there and rest." Kris ordered.

"I. ..you're going to work right?" Tao asked awkwardly. 

"Well, that's why I'm here." 

"What about Yi?" Tao asked again.

"I'll take her with me. I'll give mom a call later to ask if she can pick Yi up. If you want you can go home with them. I just can't really leave you guys alone at the house."

"FanFan! Open!" Yi gave Kris the chocolate that Yixing gave. Kris smiled to his daughter before taking off the wrapper of the chocolate. Kris gave it to her then she started squirming to his arms asking to be put down. When Kris does put her down, she immediately ran to Tao then held out the chocolate.

"For me?" Tao asked then she shyly nods. Tao opened his mouth, he remembered this one program he used to watch on tv, it says that kids like that kind of actions. 

"Yahhhh!!!!" Kris interrupted them. "Yi~! What about FanFan? I want it too. Do that for me too." Tao chuckled secretly. Yi made a perfect O on then she ran to her papa. Kris lifted her up again and looked at her while pouting. Yi hugged him then gave him a kiss before putting the chocolate on his mouth which Kris accepted with a smirk. 

"Love you FanFan!!" Yi kissed him again. 

"I love you too Yi." Kris kissed her back. Tao is so envious, he suddenly felt the need and want to have a daughter himself. Yi is just too cute and sweet, she's like an angel fallen from heaven and now she's spreading the love on earth.

"I can take care of Yi while you're working Kris gege~" Tao said, interrupting the two's bonding. 

"Tao you need to rest. You're stomach is hurting right? I saw you clutching it earlier at the car." 

"I'll be fine. I can take care of her for a while. Please trust me." Tao said. 

"It's not like I don't trust you Tao. You just look weak to me." Kris said while frowning. 

"I'll be fine promise. I'll take care of her. Please let me. That's the only thing I could do to pay you back."

"mmm~ okay fine. But! If you suddenly felt worse, promise me you'll call me downstairs okay?" 

"Okay. I promise." Tao smiled to Kris. 

"Yi~" Kris pat his daughter's head. "fanfan needs to work. Will you be okay staying with TaoTao for a while?" Kris asked her. 

Tao blushed. The way Kris said his new nickname, the way it slides through Kris' lips sound so perfect and right. He tried not to blush but he still did. His face suddenly stings because of all the blood rushing to his cheeks, adding to the redness that his bruises are already causing. Yi looks at Tao then she shyly nods at her papa. Kris snorted a little at Yi's reaction. He really is a daughter idiot and he's so possessive when it comes to her. He get jealous with everyone who Yi likes. He admits that he was even jealous to his own mom once. 

Kris left worriedly, as soon as he closed the door of his office he immediately called his mom and ask if she can pick Yi and Tao. His mom said she met some friends at the mall and won't be home until evening, she said she was not worried about Yi because Tao is there and he really got her trust. Kris sighed, he felt that way to Tao too but still, he's a stranger and they don't even know anything about him. Kris is still looking everything in reality, he took a mental note to do a background check on Tao later. Maybe ask the younger some questions.

Tao and Yi smiled at each other when Kris left. Truth is, Tao promised to Yi that they'll play so when Kris is gone, it's playtime. Kris office became a playground. Tao's hurting body is long forgotten, he was so taken in on Yi's angelic smile. It's like, it was healing him. The little girl is so hyper and energetic and Tao did his best to keep up with her. They both ran inside the office then they played with Yi's toys that was in there. Tao wanted to squeal whenever Yi would ask him to make a story about her stuff toys falling in love. It was so cute, he never once thought that little girls are that cute and innocent before. Maybe because he never once played with them because he's too busy working to live. 

They played like that until afternoon. Then Kris came back with food. After eating their lunch Kris told Yi to sleep, he told that to Tao too but Tao said he's not sleepy. While Yi is playing with herself to sleep Kris sat at his table and talked with Tao. He asked him a lot of questions. Most of it to identify the other. Tao said he understands and if Kris wants he can even go to the police to see if Tao has any records. He said he was thankful to Kris that he was helping him, despite not knowing him. He said he'll leave the next day and he said thank you to Kris a lot of time. Kris asked him where he's going to stay and he said he still doesn't know. He said he'll be fine but Kris doubt it so he told him to stay at his house while he's still not completely healed. 

"But.. .I can't pay you or give you anything as a payment." Tao said honestly. 

"As I said before, a simple 'Thank you' which you already said a lot of times is enough as a payment for me Tao." Kris smiled kindly. 

"But.. ." 

"If you feel bad about all this.. .then can you help us take care of Yi?" Kris asked. Tao's expression brighten. "You see, I'm always busy at work and Mom is not always there. Yi never once said anything about it but I know it was hard for her too." he said honestly. 

"I'll help. I will." Tao said enthusiastically. 

"I'll still do a background check on you since you'll be staying with us for a while. I hope you're okay with it."

"It's okay. I. ..I'll even give you all my papers, my ATM and my passport if you want. You can keep it while I'm staying with you." 

"Oh~ okay then. I think that would be the best." Kris smiled then he carefully looked at Tao as if trying to figure him out. "what are you planning to do when you're healed Tao?" 

"I promise I'll move out then, and. ..and.. .I'll pay you everything you spend on me once I found a job." 

"you'll look for a job?" Tao nods. ".. .and a place to stay?" Tao nods again. "Hmmm~" he crossed his arms like a boss be is. "Since it'll be like that. ..why don't you work for me instead Tao? You can stay at the house, I'll get the storage room get cleaned so you can have it. Yi is so comfortable with you that mom left her to you earlier without second thought."

"Your offering me a job? And a place to stay?" Tao asked brightly. 

"Yes. If you want it that is. All you have to do is take care of Yi. Can you do that?" 

"I. ..I'll do my best! Oh my gosh! Thank you so much. You're too kind Kris gege. Maybe. ..maybe I did something good on my past life that's why God is helping me get through with everything and now he sent you to help me. Thank you so much Kris gege." 

"Don't thank me yet Tao. You see, Yi is so energetic. We'll see how long you'll last." Kris smiled to him. "You already starts today. Once we get home later I'll ask Xiumin and Chen to come to the house to clean the storage room. Also, while they're doing it, let's talk about your salary." 

"Wait. Salary??? You'll pay me!??" Tao asked with a very surprised face. 

"Of course I will. I told you it's a job right? I believe a salary is something to be expected, it's only natural to receive it." Kris said while chucking. 

"Well.. ." Tao scratched the back of his head. "You're giving me a room to sleep and food to eat. I don't really need a salary anymore. You don't have to pay me really. I. ..at the bar.. .it's the same."

"What? What about your personal needs? No! I'm against not giving you a salary. We'll talk later okay? I think I heard Luhan calling me." Kris said as he stood up. 

He walked to his now asleep daughter, put a blanket on her then kissed her cheeks. He carefully and gently pats her head too then he whispered an, 'I Love You' and 'sleep well' to her which made Tao smile warmly. Kris waved to him, he told him to sleep too while he was gone and they'll talk again later. Tao smiled to Kris and mouthed thank you which the older returned with a kind smile before closing the door. 

Tao slept beside Yi. The couch is big enough for the two of them so he didn't worry about squishing the little angel. He's still a bit awake when he felt Yi hugging him. It was nice and it made Tao's stomach flips in happiness. It's pure bliss and he cannot explain the feeling. It's just warm and nice. They slept all afternoon. Kris comes up to check them once but the two is still sleeping comfortably beside each other.

For the third time in Kris life, he felt proud to himself and he felt like he just did the best decision on his whole lifetime. His first was when he decided to marry Xie, which didn't turn that good. Second was when Yi came to the world and he gave her a name. Kris crossed his arms, he wanted to feel jealous at Tao because Yi is hugging him but he really can't get jealous. They just look cute together that Kris immediately slapped himself for even thinking about getting jealous. Kris took a picture of them just like what he did the other night and he sets it as his new wallpaper. After that he went down again, LuHan will really kill him if he stays any longer upstairs.

"Hey Lu! Look at this!" Kris called his best friend. 

"What is it? Show it to me too!" Yixing whined. The two of them walked to Kris who was holding his phone out for them to see. 

"They're cute together right?" Kris bragged. 

"Kris. Seriously? You just met the kid last night. Can't you see his face? He's beaten up. He looks like trouble. What are you doing taking him in, even trusting him to take care of Yi. What if he's actually a bad guy?"

"He's not. Don't worry. He already told me what happened to him and why he was like that when I found him. I also asked him a lot of question to identify himself. He said he'll even give me all of his papers, ATM and passport. He can't be a bad guy with all that right? He said I can even go to the police to see if he has any records if I want. I also told him I'll do a background check on him and he said it was okay to him." he explained. 

"Well.. ." Yixing said awkwardly while looking at LuHan. "That escalated quickly. Guess, he is a good guy." 

"He is. I already offered him a job."

"What job?" LuHan asked.

"Taking Care of Yi." LuHan frowned. His trust issue is so obvious. "It'll be fine Lu. Yi really likes him. You see this?" he showed Tao and Yi's picture. "Yi only hugs me or mom. You know it too since you slept beside her once but she cried when she woke up and see you beside her right?"

"Don't remind me. I'm still broken hearted." LuHan pouted. 

Kris and Yixing laughed at Luhan. The restaurant is not that busy anymore so they can be loud. Also, the regulars are already used to them making noises like that. They even became friends with some celebrities because of their friendly aura. Also, the restaurant's atmosphere is like one of those home sweet home houses.