chappie~ 1

It Was You

 


"fanfan!~. ...a guy." The very cute and innocent Yi pointed at the guy leaning on their car, looks unconscious and .. .beaten up. Kris smiled at Yi that he's carrying on his strong arms. Yi smiled back to him as if they understands each other through smiling.

"I wonder what that guy is doing leaning on our car like that Yi? He looks very pitiful right?" Kris asked his daughter.

"mm, pitiful." she answered while nodding. "Help? The Guy?" the girl asked with twinkling eyes.

"Should we?" Kris asked her and she nods innocently while beaming her most innocent smile. "Ahh~! I fell all over again for Yi." Kris said with a gummy smile then he kissed her cheek that made her giggle. "Let's wake him up." he said while he walks to the guy. "Hey.. ." he shook the guy with his other hand that's full of groceries. The guy moaned, the bruises and cuts on his body looks so painful that Kris wanted to cringe in pain too. "Are you okay?"

"I.. ..I'm sorry." the guy answered while trying to make himself move. "I. ...is this your car?"

"Yes. What happened to you? Do you want me to take you to the hospital?" Kris helped the guy to stand up with his hand that was full of groceries but still managed to lift the guy up.

"No. ...thanks. ..but I have no. ..money for hospital bills... ..I'll be fine." he said while cupping his stomach.

Kris gets a glimpse of the guys stomach when he was sitting on the ground. His shirt was up a little and Kris saw the skin that's so violet and blue and other color that's looks very painful. He stated at the guy for a second. He's wearing decent clothes, a pair of fit jeans and a white lose v-neck shirt. He's wearing rubber shoes and he has a backpack that looks so heavy and full. Kris will really believe it if the guy says he stumbled because his backpack is too heavy then he hit his head and lost consciousness if it wasn't for the bruises and cuts. He looked like a good guy too, according to Kris' judgment. He cannot even stand alone himself so even if he's a bad guy it would still take time for him to do something bad. That is, if Kris is not getting fooled at the moment. He believes he's not.

"What's your name kid? Where do you live?" Kris asked. The guy looked at him for a second and he hesitated a little.

"Tao. I don't have a home. I got kicked out on the bar where I was working.. .." he stopped mid-sentence when he suddenly felt dizzy. Yi made a surprised shriek when he saw Tao is about to fall. Good thing Kris was fast, he dropped the groceries and catch Tao on his arms.

"Very good Fanfan~" Yi patted Kris' head that made his father smile even if he's having a hard time carrying her and Tao at the same time.

"I. .." Tao put his hands on the car for support. "I'm sorry." he apologized. "I.. .I was working.. .and then he.. .he...." it surprised Kris when Tao's tears suddenly falls but it surprised him more when he suddenly lost consciousness again. Kris sighed, he cannot believe at his situation right now. He cannot really bring himself to leave an unconscious kid there at the parking lot. Also, Tao is so pitiful and hurt and weak. He wouldn't be able to sleep if he abandoned him there.

"Let's take him home with us first." Kris said and Yi nods. "Yi, can you reach for FanFan's key on his back pocket?" Kris asked with an apologetic look on his face.

"Keeyss~~?" Yi asked and he nods. His daughter squirmed a little struggling to reach his father's back pocket because she was small herself.

"Thank Yi." Kris said when Yi started moving, doing what he was asked.

She got the keys but Kris cannot really move on freely. He considered putting Yi down for a while so he can help Tao to the car but he doesn't like putting his daughter down when they're out. He got traumatized when he put Yi down once and she suddenly ran and was almost hit by a car. When the door to the front seat opened Kris put Yi down and told her to stay still. When his daughter nods to him then obediently sat like a good girl she is, he helped Tao to settle on the back seat. Kris is still bothered by the painful bruises on Tao's stomach so instead of making him sit and put on a seatbelt on him, he lied him down carefully. He put his backpack down to prevent Tao from falling while he was driving.

"Pitiful~" Yi said while peeking at them.

"Mm~ pitiful." Kris agreed with his daughter.

Kris drives home carefully. He has Tao at the back and Yi at the front so he can't be his racer self at the moment. Yi keeps him company while he's driving. She sang so loud so Kris told her to keep it a little down because their new friend might wake up. Yi nods and shush herself. She still sings but more quietly this time. When they reached home, Kris called his mom so she can take Yi. He needs to help Tao who's still not waking up, he told himself that if for some reason Tao did not wake up that night then he would take him to the hospital. Kris' mom asked him who's the kid but he can only say his name. That's the only thing he was able to say before he collapsed after all. Kris asked her mom to take Yi inside the house and clean her so she can sleep, he said he'll help Tao for the meantime.

Kris carried Tao bridal style. He wanted to piggy back him but it would be more hard so he settled with the princess carry. Tao is so light that Kris stumbled a little because he put in a lot of force because he thought he's heavy. They went in the house. Kris lied Tao down on his bed and tried to wake him up again. When the guy didn't even bulge, Kris decided to make him some soup first and get the first aid kit. Maybe after that he'll wake up and he can tell what really happened to him. While Kris is cooking, Yi came to him. She's already wearing her pajamas that was printed with a lot of pandas. His mom appeared behind Yi, who's also on her pajamas. Kris carried Yi, scared that some soup might reach his precious daughter.

"You smells so good Yi. Did you use the strawberry bubble bath we bought?" Kris asked.

"Yhup~" Yi answered then he wrapped her hands on his father's neck.

"Kiss your papa Yi. We need to get you to bed." Kris' mom commanded.

"Night FanFan." Yi said then she kissed Kris' lips.

"Good Night Yi~ I love you." Kris kissed her back.

"Love.. .you too.. ." She said while yawning. Kris passed Yi to his mom.

"I'll let Tao use my bed tonight. If he doesn't woke up I'll take him to the hospital first thing in the morning." Kris told his mom.

"Will you be fine? What about the shop?" she asked while lulling Yi to sleep.

"I'll text Lu and Yixing to come early tomorrow. They can open the shop instead of me. I'll also inform the two guys that was on the interview today. If I remember correctly their names are Chen and Xiumin?"

"You're hiring them?" she asked in a low tone since Yi is falling asleep.

"Yeah. We're really short handed ma, and I don't want you to get tired taking care of Yi. Once Chen and Xiumin is settled I'll take care of Yi again." he said while smiling.

"Don't worry about me son. I love taking care of Yi. It feels like I'm getting younger when I'm with her."

"You feel like that but in reality you bones are cracking already." he joked. "You need your beauty rest Ma. Just bear with me for a while." he said.

"Good thing you got divorced. Your wife doesn't deserve someone as good as you YiFan." his mother said. He only smiled.

After a while he said he'll get the first aid kit so he can treat Tao's wounds. He accompanied his mom and Yi first to their room before he went back to the kitchen to get the hot soup and the first aid kit. When he opened the door of his room, Tao is already awake. He was sitting, his hands on his stomach and he was staring out of the big window where the cold air and some leaves from the tree beside Kris' room is entering. Because the lights are closed, the only light source is the full moon. It almost looks like a scenes from the movie in Kris' eyes. Tao looks so breathtaking. His facial features was lined perfectly by the moonlight, his eyes looks so sad and tired but it was still shining brightly. He looks like he was cut out of painting if it wasn't for the obvious cut on his lips and the purple bruise beside his mouth.

"I'm so glad you finally woke up." he finally broke the beautiful silence that lingered between them for a while. He flicked the lights and it was suddenly bright inside the room. Tao looked scared when he suddenly talked. He's in panic too and he tried to get out of the bed but he's too weak so he only ended up clutching his stomach again and groaned in pain. "Don't move yet." Kris immediately put down the tray of food and medicine to help Tao back to the bed. "You can use my bed tonight. You need to rest."

"No~~ ...I can't use it.. .I'm sorry.. .I. ..I'll sleep on the floor." Tao said weakly.

"It's okay. Really. Use the bed. You need it more than me." he smiled to him to assure him.

"... .Th. .thank you." he said shyly. "I. ..I'll leave early tomorrow."

"You don't have to if you still feel weak." he sat beside him then reached for the tray he set aside earlier. "Here. I made some soup for you." he offered him the bowl full of deliciously hot soup. "Eat it while it's still hot. When you're done let's treat your wounds."

"I can really eat it?" Tao asked shyly.

"of course. Eat as much as you want. I made that for you after all. Do you have some fresh clothes on your back pack?"

"Everything is dirty." he answered.

"Oh~.. ..then. I'll lend you some clothes." he stood up and Tao's eyes followed him. "Eat. I'll just be here. I'll see if I still have a pair of pajamas I can let you use." he said before rummaging through his drawers.

While Kris is busy messing his drawers, Tao ate the soup deliciously. The warmth of the soup felt so good and right on his hurting stomach. He felt like the soup was healing him from the inside out. Before he knew it, he was already grabbing the bowl and sipped it without a sound. When he put the bowl down he was met by a pair of amused eyes. He blushed from embarrassment so he looked down at the same time he put the bowl down back to the tray.

"I.. .I'm sorry. It was very delicious... .and.. .I didn't get to eat today.. .so. .."

"Don't worry about it. I'm happy you liked it that much. Maybe I should add that to my restaurant's menu. Are you full? Do you want more?" Kris asked thoughtfully.

"N.. .no. ..thank you.. ." he looked at Kris with an asking eye. "Uhm?.. ."

"Oh~. .. Kris. My name's Kris." he said while smiling.

"Thank you Kris."

"You're welcome Tao." he said then he sat down beside him again. "So? Why were you hurt to the point that you passed out?" he asked while preparing the first aid kit. "Wait. Wait. Before you answer. Let me get a wet towel first so I can clean you before treating you."

Kris ran to the bathroom that was inside the room as fast as he can then went back to Tao excitedly like the other was about to tell a very interesting story. Tao unconsciously smiled at what Kris did. It was kind of funny to look at, really. Kris sat at his original position then he started wiping Tao's arms with the wet towel.

"I was working at the bar called Eons downtown. I was living there too."

"Working? And you're not with your parents?" Kris frowned. "You look young to me. Probably college?"

"My parents died when I was in high school. I didn't get to graduate because I need to work to live. The manager of the bar was a friend of my dad so he helped me."

"Oh~" Kris avoided eye contact. "Sorry."he said awkwardly. ". ...So? You we're working at Eons? And?"

" ...I was working last night.. ..and.. ..he. ...Uncle .. .he tried to. .." he chocked and cough a little. He suddenly looks terrified and about to cry. ".. .he tried to force himself. ..on me." he continued in a more low tone of voice but with a rage.

"OH MY GOD!" Kris can only say. Tao started crying, Kris feels so bad for Tao. He his back to calm him down even just for a little. "You should report him to the police Tao. You can tell them what he did to you It's ual harassment."

"I... .cant. He helped me . .when my parents died." Tao reasoned still crying. "I punched him and I ran but I was caught and they beat me up. .. ." Tao cried more. "W.. .when I ... .when they tried to. ..take off my clothes.. .I pushed them with all my might. ..I went to the apartment, grab all my things. ..then ran away." Tao cried harder and now Kris was punching himself to the gut for asking. Tao is in a deep and he was deeply hurt both physical and mental. He told himself that he should've waited until Tao is a bit stronger and can handle the pain.

"Shh~ don't cry." he shushed him then wiped his tears. "You'll be fine now Tao. You'll be fine." he hugged him.

That's the only way he knows how to comfort someone after all. He his back too, he remembered his mom doing that to him the time he caught his wife cheating on him with another man. Little by little Tao calmed down and his loud sobs turn into quiet sobs. His tears are still falling though, but Kris can tell that he's a little bit fine now. He finally let Tao go and continue treating him without spoken words.

"Thank you Kris." Tao said while wiping his tears when Kris finished bandaging his stomach.

"You're welcome. Go to sleep. We'll talk tomorrow again when you're a bit stronger than you are right now." Tao nods to him. He helped him lie down the bed and put a blanket on him. "Wait. Tao? How old are you?" he suddenly asked.

"21." he answered.

"Call me gege~ okay? I'm 27."

Kris smiled back and he gave Tao a final pat on the head before heading out of the room. He'll go back when Tao is asleep. There are only two rooms on the house. One is the master's bedroom where Tao is staying and the second one is Yi's room where his daughter and mom is sleeping. He hates sleeping on the living room so he decided to sleep on the couch inside his own room. He washed the dishes and cleaned the kitchen then he went to Yi's room to check the two most important girls in his life. When he opened the door, he smiled widely at the scene. Yi's cute little foot is resting on her grandma's tummy. Her two hands we're open wide just like that was pooling with drool. Kris wanted to laugh but he stopped himself because he doesn't want to wake up the two girls. Instead, he took his phone out of his pocket and took a picture of his mom and Yi. He nods to himself when he saw the outcome. He set it at his new wallpaper.

He stayed at the living room to rest his body for a while. He had a long day and now he's so tired. He took out his phone and called his two best friends and long time employee, LuHan and Yixing. He informed them that he'll be a little late tomorrow, he's really tired and he felt the need to sleep even for just another hour. Also, he texted Xiumin and Chen to inform them that they're hired and they can start tomorrow too. When he was done doing everything he needs to do at work, he searched for the remote and opened the tv. He watched the usual channel where everything is about cooking. He watched carefully, even took some notes when he finds a new dishes that he can copy and add on his menu.

Yi was born on the same time that he opened the restaurant, the name was Fan-Qin. He can still remember how everyone inside the restaurant panicked when Xie, his ex-wife shouted that the baby was about to come out. After Yi was born, Fan-Qin becomes so famous that even the most famous celebrities in China are coming to them to eat. Kris becomes so busy to the point that he forgot about his precious daughter and wife. Xie was so lonely and so tired of taking care of Yi alone. Kris wouldn't even come home that much.

That lasts for at least 3 months until Kris' mom came back to China from Canada. Xie was able to rest because of Kris' mom but then, she starts seeing someone behind her husbands back too. One night, Kris' mom is not there, Xie and Yi are the only one in the house and Kris just realized how much he miss his daughter that he haven't seen for almost a week. He came home with gifts and a lot of food with him, he wanted to surprise his girls. When he opened the door, the house was quiet, he went to Yi's room and his angel is already deep asleep. Then he went to his and Xie's room where he found her and a man which he'd never seen before. He was deeply hurt back then, he even tried to kill the man that was lying on his own bed, with his own wife. Xie stopped him and let the other guy escape from Kris' wrath. He slapped Xie once but after he realized what he'd done, he immediately said sorry. His wife cried and told him she's not happy anymore, she's tired of waiting for him to come home and she needs more than a husband who can provide financially.

After that night, Xie ran away with the same man she was with. Kris was thankful enough that Xie left Yi to him. He knows it was kind of selfish to keep Yi to his own just because Xie cheated and left him but whenever he's thinking about that day, he cannot do anything but think that Xie doesn't have the right to be Yi's mother. He admitted he was the wrong one that's why Xie left, what he cannot accept is Xie didn't even keep in contact with him for Yi. Xie never once called to ask if her daughter is fine. Kris accepted too that his wife will never return again and even if she did, Kris told himself that he's better off alone with Yi than spend the rest of his life with Xie who doesn't even seem to care with her own daughter.

After half an hour of reminiscing, Kris finally woke up to another reality. He yawned, turned the tv off, went to his room where Tao is already snoring (which is kind of cute because for some reason he resembles Yi), went to the bathroom, washed his face then wiped it with towel, grabbed fresh blanket from one of the cabinets, carefully and gently pulled one pillow on the bed where Tao is sleeping then he settled and make himself comfortable on the couch, then drifted to sleep.