ROAD TRIP

Survivor
Please log in to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]CHAPTER TWELVE - ROAD TRIP[/CONTENTID1]
[CONTENTID2]

WOOOOOO DOUBLE UPDATE!

 

"We can't let you do that." I grind my teeth together as I glare holes into General Xi's face. I suggested that they hand Luhan over to me so I can take him to the training field outside and do with him as I please: torture and kill him. "We'll end him for you but Yìfán would not have wanted you to be tainted." 

"No, I have to kill him myself," I growl, my nails digging into my palms. "Otherwise everything I went through was for nothing. I have to kill him." 

"I'm sorry but that's just not happening," he replies and I take in a deep breath to calm myself. I'm currently fighting the urge to grab a knife from one of the guards in the room and plunge it right in the old man's throat. Unlike when I killed Yìfán, I cannot act impulsively in this moment. One wrong move and not only would I be killed, but so would my entire team. "If you want, we'll allow you to choose how he dies." 

"You'll regret this," is all I say before turning around and walking out the door. I storm past the laboratory and exit the east wing, reentering the main building. I don't realise I passed my team until someone grabs me by the arm and whirls me around. "Jackson." 

"What the hell was that about?" He demands, a crease between his brows. 

"They basically told me that I can't kill him," I reply and he grunts, rolling his eyes. "I'm just going to have to find another way to get to him." 

"We can think about that later," he says, dragging me to our group who are standing near the entrance doors. "We need to get going. It's an 18 hour drive to Loudi, Hunan." 

"Mwo!?" I exclaim, then groan in frustration. First, we go back to the complex and quickly pack our bags. BamBam booked us rooms in a hotel in Loudi, where we will stay for tomorrow night. The village that the sergeant we're meeting resides in is a few miles from the city itself, which means we'll need to drive again to get there. It's a lot of travelling for just one day of being in the actual province. 

We finish packing and split up, going into two different minivans. In the first one there's me, Yoongi (the driver), Kyuhyun, Sehun and BamBam. In the second, there's Jackson, Henry (their driver) Daehyun, Jessica, Hyoyeon and Youngjae. I hate that I'll have to spend over eighteen hours in a confined space with Kyuhyun - not because we slept together but because he's simply the most annoying person I've ever met. Ever. In my life. My entire life.

Hours pass and I check the time on the screen of the minivan's GPS: 2:39am. I yawn and stretch in my seat, which isn't the passenger one despite the fact that I requested it. I understand though. Yoongi is always tired (I'm actually shocked that he's the qualified pilot amongst our group) and he needs someone loud to keep him awake - yep, you guessed it. Kyuhyun. The latter is currently blabbing about something or another whilst Yoongi nods along, every so often cranking up the volume of the music. I'm sitting in the middle row with Sehun and BamBam on either side of me, the back row (which consists of only two seats) is stacked with the baggage that didn't fit in the trunk. 

I sigh and wiggle in my seat, trying to get comfortable but failing to do so. I look to my right where BamBam is sitting and see that he has his head against the window, his eyes shut and his chest slowly rising and falling. I look to my left, where Sehun sits with a device in his hands and cords coming out of it, the ends of it buried in his ears.

"Omo, is that an iPod!?" I exclaim and BamBam jumps beside me. I glance at him and he nestles back into a deep slumber. Sehun pulls an earphone out and raises a questioning brow at me. "I said, is that an iPod?" He nods once. "Where did you get it? I haven't seen one of those used by anyone other than high-rank military personnel." 

"I stole it," he replies candidly. My brows shoot up and I open my mouth to question him further but he shakes his head. "I won't elaborate." I clamp my mouth shut again and slump my shoulders. He glances from his iPod to me and sighs, placing an earphone in my left ear. "Here, listen." I smile sheepishly and tuck my legs under me, snuggling up to him as soft music rings in my ear. 

"Thanks, Sehun-ah," I murmur sleepily and his stiff body begins to relax but not completely. I ignore his awkwardness and drift off to a peaceful abyss. I do not dream for I do not allow myself to completely fall asleep, only rest for a good few hours. 

~

I wake up still tucked into Sehun's side, his arm now wrapped around my slender body. I lift my head and study his face: his sharp jawline, his thin lips, his straight nose. He sort of looks like an angel when he sleeps and I can't help but wonder what made him the way he is; cold and offstandish. However, I try not to pry because he doesn't ask questions either. I look away from his face and look out the window. The sun has risen and is peaking through the heavy clouds, it looks as though it's going to rain. It is, after all, November now. Only three months before my nineteenth birthday. I wonder what this one will bring. 

From the looks of things, we're driving down a high way, though the roads are relatively empty. There aren't many cars outside of major cities these days, it's too much of a risk in case a bridge or an entire forest is bombed or perhaps a military plane flies over, loaded with Napalm. The car turns into a different road and comes to a stop at a gas station. Yoongi gets out, followed by Kyuhyun. Deciding I, too, want to stretch my legs, I climb over Sehun and open the door, exiting the car. 

It's cooler outside but I like it, it was getting a bit stuffy in the minivan. I yawn again and stretch my arms and legs. I walk over to the other side of the car, where Yoongi and Kyuhyun are standing and conversing. Kyuhyun sees me first and smiles; Yoongi glances over his shoulder and gives me a nod.

"What time is it?" I ask as I join their side. Yoongi looks down at his watch. The rest of our team pull into the road and park their minivan behind ours.

"Nine o'clock," he answers, rubbing his tired-looking eyes. I ruffle his hair and his cheek with my thumb, earning me a bright smile. Henry and Youngjae come out of the other car and make their way over to us. Henry slips an arm around me and hugs me close, keeping me there as he talks to the other males.

"We've burned a good nine hours, nine more to go," he says.

"Actually, if the roads stay this free, we'll make it to Loudi in the next six hours," Yoongi replies and Kyuhyun punches the air in relief. "Let's refuel and get some food. I'm starving." We all nod and Henry lets go of me to go wake the others up. Yoongi goes to start refuelling the minivans and Kyuhyun and I make our way over to the store. 

The bell rings above the door as we enter the small building and a young female jerks awake behind the front desk. She blinks a few times and, once she sees us and realises we're customers, straightens up and dusts her uniform. I flash her a smile and shove Kyuhyun, who's busy staring at her like a starved wolf.

"Stop, you're making us look like kidnappers," I hiss and he laughs, shrugging uncaringly. We walk down the aisles and grab as much food as we can, mainly sandwiches, drinks and fatty snacks because, hell, who wants a healthy heart? The bell sounds again and I look over my shoulder, watching Daehyun and Hyoyeon walk in. They immediately head towards us, scanning the items in our baskets. 

"I approve," Hyoyeon smirks, nodding in satisfaction. She then grabs the basket in my hands, shoves it into Daehyun's and grabs my arm. She drags me away from the two guys and takes me to the chocolate aisle. "Oh, my god. Please, don't let me go back in that car." 

"Why, what happened?" I ask.

She scoffs. "Daehyun happened. The guy is a hopeless flirt and he can't take a hint." I laugh and shake my head.

"Maybe him and Kyuhyun are distant relatives." She snorts, shaking her head as she rubs her temples. "And, hey, I thought you wanted a boyfriend." 

"Yeah but not Daehyun. I mean, he's hot and all but I'm not interested," she shrugs and I narrow my eyes at her suspiciously. "I like someone else." I gasp and smack her arm, demanding an answer. 

"Who is it!?" 

"It doesn't matter, it's o

Please log in to read the full chapter