The Way We Were

One Day In Your Life-Completed

The resort did not changed that much.trees and greens abound with the work of nature around.There are more houses built within the community.And since it is almost summer time,there were a lot more people this time,than the last time he was here.The smell of freshly new cut grass fill the air as Jiro breathe it in.Two years ago,it seems so far and so long ago,suddenly he feels jaded and old.Maybe hardened and pained with the memories.Who said that time heals,sometimes it is not always true.

The townhouses came into view,he almost sold this place but he changed his mind at the last minute and he have to call off before he can even sign the contract.He can't let the house go,not with all the happy memories he have on that house.He will always treasure the short time he have with Selina.The time they have together was short,in fact only a few days,but memories linger on for a lifetime.

He slowed down as soon as he hit the gravel driveway.Still in a deep thought when a little girl,barely steady on her feet came running thru,struggled from the grasp of her Mom,as Jiro hit the brakes and the car was in full stop,before he can even hit her.A shout and a scream came from the lady that was holding her.

"Chloe no." the Mom screamed

Jiro got out of the car ,wanting to see if he injured the little girl,but the Mom was quicker as she grabbed the baby and hugged her tightly.And when Jiro looked at the Mom,he is staring at the face that have haunted him for the past two years...he is staring at Selina.

"Selina?" was all Jiro said."I am sorry,I didn't know.It was too sudden."

Selina looked at him,as she stared at him,she can't say a thing.The realization that he was here and Chloe was here brought fear and chills in her heart,as she turned pale.And then tears came ,the fear of an almost accident on Chloe and the fear of seeing Jiro,her baby's Father drained the blood from her face.

"I am so sorry,I did not hurt her,did I?" as Jiro tried to look at the Chloe's body,but Selina pulled the baby away from him.

"She is fine,you did not hit her." as she moved to go back inside."She is alright." as she brought the baby inside in a quick long stride.

Jiro looked on.She did not show any acknowledgment,no greeting,nothing at all.She treated him like a stranger as he felt his heart crushed.He knew she must be a married woman now,but she could have been at least friendly.He did not even get to see her baby's face as if she was trying to hide her from him.

Jiro continue to drive till he is in the driveway.Selina closed the door behind her,as Jiro looked at her doorway.He started taking his things out from the car.the short glimpse that he have on Selina,and it looks like she didn't changed that much except for her hair.It is a lot shorter now ,that it barely hit her shoulder.He loved her soft long black hair before as he used to thread his fingers in between strands,as she lay to sleep by his side.He let out a deep sigh remembering their times together.

Selina peeped on the window,after hugging and putting the baby down.She stared at his back as tears flowed.She have not seen him in two years,and he hasn't changed that much.He still have that slim but muscular built,his hair a little bit shorter and he have his eyeglasses on.He looks older and yet more dignified.She wondered,how come he is alone today and no sign of a baby yet.He must have thought that Chloe is Alex baby,and she have decided that she will keep it that way,she doesn't want to ruin his marriage and yes he doesn't want Jiro to know about his own daughter. Chloe belonged to her and only her.Thanks goodness that Ella and the kids are not here right now.

Jiro put away his clothes and decided to take a walk.The weather is nice and breezy,it will be nice to take a walk around the resort and maybe by chance caught a glimpse of Selina and the baby.He does not know why he have this feeling ,he wants to see, Selina's baby again,he have the urge to hold and hug the baby when Selina was holding her.It is too bad that he didn't even get the chance to really look in her face if she looked like Selina or Alex.He does not even have any negative feelings over the child considering that Alex is her Dad.

He put on his jogging pants ,his sneaker and his hoodie jacket over his shirt and started walking down on that old familiar path,the magical place that Selina used to describe.He was hoping that Selina will be there.He was disappointed when he found the place empty.He stayed on the same spot as he looked at the lake,who are full of activities now,people in the boat canoeing,people fishing on the shore by the rocks,and some swimming by the beach.The sun is starting to go down slowly like a ball of fire ,he was going down to the deep end of the water.And then he noticed the movement in his back,and it is Selina ,as they stared at each other.

"I didn't know you where here?" Selina said."I am sorry if I disturbed you."

"I was hoping you will be here,that is why I came here." Jiro said."How are you Selina? It has been two years right?"

"I guess just about.How are you Jiro?" Selina said.

"I am good,it could have been better but I am good."Jiro said."How about you Selina?How is marriage treating you? it looks like it agrees with you,you didn't changed much and the baby must have kept you busy."

"Yes,she is quite a handful." Selina said a smile coming from her face ,just thinking of her beautiful baby.

"You must be proud of her.I am happy for you.And Alex ,how is he doing?I hope he is treating you nice." Jiro said.

Selina just nodded her head.She doesn't want to lie ,she doesn't want to add another lie at the top of a lie.

"It is getting late,I have to go back,Chloe must be looking for me."Selina said.

"So Chloe is her name,that is a beautiful name I like it." Jiro said.

Selina turned her back already,for she started to tear,hearing him say that,at least she did something right and that he is agreeing."I am glad you liked it." as she walked back home.And then tears flowed freely after that.She does not know why suddenly she felt sorry for Jiro,sorry that he could not enjoy his own daughter's company,and smile and laughed at Chloe's antics.Suddenly she felt so selfish for keeping the baby all to herself..But what can she do?She can't tell him now about the baby,he will hate her for everything,for ruining his marriage and not telling him about the baby.It is alittle bit too late to tell about the baby..It is better this way,as she wiped the tears on her eyes...