Chapter 4

Does He Know? (In the process of Proofreading)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Saturday night at Kim's residence.

 

It's not usual in The Kim's family to have dinner and have both families present. It's not that they were not close that they can't have a family dinner, but because of their busy schedules, and of course, they cannot neglect what the big boss had said, which is Mr. Kim.

 

Mr. Kim has two sons. The eldest is Kim Sangwoo and the youngest is Kim Yeonwoo. Kim Sangwoo was married to a Ahn Haneul, the only daughter of the A Enterprises who sells electronic devices, and Kim Yeonwoo who was married to Park Jinhae, the second daughter of Mr. Park who owns the popular mall in town, the I'Park Mall.

 

Kim Sangwoo has a son named Kim Jinho, a 2nd year college of Seoul University and an only child while Kim Yeonwoo, the youngest, has two children, Kim Jongin, a 3rd year student of Seoul Foreign Language High School, well-known as a prestigious high school in South Korea and Kim Jaehwa, who's married to Im Sangmi, and they have their own business, even the famous caffé downtown, the Kamong Cafe.

 

They are all waiting for Mr. Kim to arrive. They had settled on the table after exchanging greetings to one another.

 

"Maybe you are all wondering why I called you to this family dinner." Mr. Kim started as he entered the room. Everyone at the table was waiting patiently for what Mr. Kim would tell them.

 

He sat on the head of the table and looked at them one by one. On the right side was Kim Sangwoo, beside him was his wife, Ahn Haneul and their son Kim Jinho.

 

On the left side, the youngest son, Kim Yeonwoo, and beside him was his wife, Park Jinhae. His son Kim Jongin and daughter Kim Jaehwa were on that side as well. Facing the eldest Kim family.

 

They were all in Mr. Kim's house. He has lived alone since Mrs. Kim, his late wife, passed away. He's by himself but accompanied by his trustworthy person, Shin Dongmin.

 

Their dinner arrived as everyone settled in. Both families were talking in silence. The women were talking about the latest fashion or trend. Their husband's were talking about business, as per usual. While Jinho and Jongin were catching up.

 

They were cut off when Mr. Kim started to talk. "I have an announcement to make and I want everybody here to be present." He continued. "It's about our business. There's nothing wrong with it but you know my goal, I want to expand it and want to make it bigger than it is now and to be known worldwide." He said moving his hands in the air to explain.

 

Everyone nodded in response. He owns the Kim Enterprises. He has popular malls, some buildings in Gangnam, hotels, bars, restaurants, clothing boutiques, car stores and some of his businesses are located in other parts of Korea.

 

"I want everybody to be here especially my grandsons-" He looked at Jongin and then Jinho. "We all know how our family goes, eventually, one of you will marry someone from a well known family."

 

Jongin raised his eyebrows in confusion, but let the old man finish his words "You are all aware of that. The reason why I am saying this because one of you, Jongin and Jinho, will marry Miss Kang Minjin's cousin." He said unperturbed. Like it's no big deal. Everyone at the table was surprised by his sudden announcement.

 

Jongin's eyes grew wide and looked at his father, waiting for him to say something but his father shook his head. He lost his appetite. His stomach churned in nervousness. That was not what he expected for his night to be.

 

"I thought about it a lot and between you two-" He paused for a second "Jinho, you are the one who is suitable for this arranged marriage. Since you are the oldest and know better about how the business runs." Jongin was offended on the last part that his cousin was a lot better than him or knows about the business than he was, but he sighed from relief that he was not chosen to marry someone that he doesn't like or even met for crying out loud!

 

He felt like a heavy weight was pulled out from his shoulder when his grandfather said that it was not him. He sighed in relief. But his breath hitch when his cousin spoke.

 

"No." Jinho said calmly. Voice was normal as if he just rejected that he didn't like the clothes that were chosen for him. All eyes were on him. He dropped his fork and knife beside his plate and took a deep breath meeting his grandfather's eyes, burning in anger.

 

"What!?" Mr. Kim was astounded. "What do you mean no!? You can't say no to me Jinho!" Jinho looks at Mr. Kim straight in the eye "Yes I can, and I said no. Thanks for your dinner." Jinho stood up and his father tried to stop him.

 

"Jinho, where are you going!?" His father was angry but Jinho won't have it.

 

"Home." He walks to the door before someone will stop him from running away.

 

No one has ever said 'no' to Mr. Kim. And that was why he was fuming when his oldest grandson denied him. The atmosphere in the room became heavy and quiet. Everyone was agitated in their seats. Jongin was sweating when he looked at his grandfather's face. It was palpable that he was angry at his cousin's answer.

 

Everyone in the table was still shocked about what happened. Jinho's mother tried to explain to Mr. Kim, when she found her voice back, about his son's behavior. Jinho and his girlfriend just broke up a few weeks ago and that's why he was still upset about it and telling him he will marry someone shocked him. Mr. Kim rebutted that it's not a proper way to talk to an elder.

 

Jongin wants to escape because it's too much drama and he feels nauseous about the happenings. He was about to stand up when his grandfather stopped him.

 

"Sit." It was a simple word but it was strong to keep him still in his seat.

 

He sighed. Before his grandfather would say something, he interrupted him.

 

"I know that since Jin hyung doesn't like this marriage and you're thinking that me-" He pointed to himself "is the next choice, but gramps, think about it properly. I don't fit in this situation. And besides, I'm still

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter