Dreamer vs. Realist

Love

Tittle: Dreamer vs. Realist

Rating: General

Genre: romantic

Word count: 860

 

 

It was raining outside…

Kyuhyun looked out at the window and stood up, wanting to refill his coffee cup. But stepping out of his studio, he unexpectedly saw Hyukjae sitting in the living room. His head leaned against the window, one hand holding an open book on his lap while the other covering his mouth. Because of his shoulders that were gently shaking once in a while, Kyuhyun found his eyebrows unconsciously knitted.

 

He was crying…

 

Kyuhyun knelt down next to the smaller, his hands caressing his dark hair and his cheeks lightly, wanting to comfort the crying one. “Baby, what’s wrong?” He asked, low enough for only the other to hear.

 

Hyukjae took a glance at the taller, and shook his head a little. He managed to speak, between the uncontrollable wails. “Kyu… h-how long will our love last?”

 

But he gave him no reply. Instead, he took the brunette into his arms, making them both sit on the floor. Hyukjae buried his face into the other’s chest, biting his lower lip to prevent himself from wailing loudly while the latter gently his back. Neither of them said anything and there was only the sound of raindrops falling against the window.

 

Kyuhyun didn’t know how long it took for the smaller to calm down. With a pair of red eyes and a pink nose, Hyukjae looked up, daring himself to repeat the preceding question. “How long will our love last, Kyuhyun?”

 

The taller saw the tears that were gradually creeping up at the corners of the other’s eyes and leaned down. A kiss landed after a kiss, on Hyukjae’s canthi, his nose, his cheeks and finally his pair of swollen lips. All of that was done slowly but lovingly. Kyuhyun didn’t rush, he knew that the other was just insecure about their love.

 

Ultimately, he looked at the pair of orbs that were also looking at his, waiting for an answer. “I don’t know, baby” He said in a whisper.

 

And with that, Hyukjae closed his eyes, breaking the eye-contact between them and once again leaning against the other’s body. Kyuhyun sighed, still looking at the dark crown of the other.

 

He knew that his answer was not what the other wanted but he found himself unable to say otherwise. The brunette was a writer, he was an engineer. The brunette was a dreamer, he was a realist. He couldn’t say things that he was not completely sure of. Forever was an uncountable amount of time, who could affirm their love wouldn’t change during that? Kyuhyun did hope their love would last, but he didn’t want his love to be a burden to the other when they were over.

 

He suddenly remembered some of his friends who had been shocked to know they were in a relationship on the first few days. ‘How could you two be together?’ They asked, some out of pure curiosity and some out of disbelief. Most of them thought they wouldn’t last for long but it had been 3 years since they were in love. Kyuhyun sometimes found himself dazed while tracing the time. 3 years, that was not too long but definitely not too short, either. A dreamer and a realist. Two different outlooks on life. Honestly, there were times that Hyukjae found him too practical and not romantic and there were also times that he found the other too emotional and hard to get. But eventually, they found a way to balance their relationship.

 

 

 

“Baby, look at me” After some time to choose the right words, he managed to open his mouth and speak. “I couldn’t promise you forever, Hyukkie because neither of us knew how long that would be. Our love might change someday. We just… can’t know” He stopped to brush away the other’s tear then continued, still with a low voice. “But you know, baby, I am a realist, I don’t care about the past and I think the future is yet to come. What I really care is the present, is today, is this moment. And I can affirm you, I am madly in love with you right now.”

 

Hyukjae looked up only to find himself lost in the deep brown orbs that were gleaming with love. He knew how much of a truth the other was saying and he found his heart race all of a sudden. That simple confession was enough to cast his insecurity out. “And I love you too, Kyu” He mumbled with a hoarse voice, just for the other to hear while embracing the other’s waist and feeling the other’s arms also tightened around him.

 

“Let’s make a deal, Hyukkie” The taller waited for the brunette’s response then added. “From now on, every morning, when we wake up, if we feel we are in love, let’s say it to other. How does that sound?”

 

Hyukjae quickly gave a firm nod then gave his boyfriend a watery smile. “Perfect”

 

Kyuhyun smiled back, once again brushing all the tears away and got down, making both of them lying on the floor, still hugging each other and humming along a familiar melody.

 

Outside, the one-day-long rain had just stopped.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Well, I wrote this while it was raining outside…