All About Us

Love

Title: All About Us

Rating: General

Genre: angst (a little), HE

Word count: 1,270

Inspired by All About Us - He Is We ft. Owl City (you should totally listen to it ^o^)

 

 

 

Hyukjae bid goodbye to his parents before stepping out of the house, smiling brightly as he saw Kyuhyun standing against the fence, eyes closed - the other had been waiting for him.

 

“Have you been waiting long?” Hyukjae asked, unable to hide his happiness.

 

Kyuhyun opened his eyes immediately and shook his head as a response. He also smiled as he took the other’s hand and led him to their school.

.

.

.

“It’s my classroom already” Hyukjae said, pouting a little.

 

Kyuhyun put on a sad smile, squeezing the smaller’s hand in a loving manner. “I will wait for you after school” Looking around to make sure no one was watching, he leaned over to steal a peck from the other and immediately pulled back before turning around to walk to his classroom. Not knowing what else to do, Hyukjae stood still to watch the other’s back until it was gone and he, too, turned around to walk into his classroom, with a deep sorrowful sigh.

 

It was their little morning routine that Kyuhyun waited for Hyukjae to walk to school together, hand in hand. When no one was around, they might share a few intimate moments. But unfortunately all of these had to be a secret.

 

Even though the same gender love was not something new, it was still unacceptable in the little town of theirs. People frowned, gossiped and made fun of that kind of relationship. Despite having been in love with each other for years, Kyuhyun and Hyukjae still didn’t find enough courage to come out. Not yet.

 

But it was not as if the villagers hadn’t taken notice of their unusual “friendship”. People paid attention to anything they did, their parents didn’t allow them to meet more often than their little routine, their classmates talked about them behind their back. Kyuhyun and Hyukjae knew it well but they chose to say nothing. They were happy just to be secret lovers. They were happy just to be with the other.

 

But again, it was not as if life were easy for them. Hyukjae was unable to remember how many nights he had to cry himself to sleep. Kyuhyun couldn't count how many times he wished he could just disappear with the smaller. And both of them did want to forget all the fights they had because of other people’s vivacious words.

 

 

 

 

Hyukjae was sitting alone at a table in the corner of the hall. It was their graduation party and as Kyuhyun’s parents also wanted to join the party, the couple couldn’t go together. Hyukjae looked around and sighed deeply to see his friends dance and freely show off their love. Even himself wasn't aware he had been holding his glass so tight that all his knuckles went white.

 

How he wished Kyuhyun and he could be free to do so…

 

Weeks before graduation, both parents agreed on not allowing them to see each other any more. Hyukjae’s father drove him to school in the morning then drove him home in the afternoon. They said the couple had to concentrate on their study but deep inside, Kyuhyun and Hyukjae knew perfectly that their parents started to be suspicious.

 

The music had been changed for slow dance. Hyukjae unconsciously sighed for the umpteenth time as it was their favorite song yet the other was nowhere to be seen.

 

Take my hand, I’ll teach to dance

I’ll spin you around, won’t let you fall down

Would you let me lead? You can step on my feet

Give a try, it’ll be alright…

 

Suddenly, a hand was presented in front of his face, succeeding in snapping him out of his thought. Hyukjae looked up in surprise only to smile brightly as his boyfriend finally arrived.

 

“Would you dance with me, beautiful?” Kyuhyun leaned over for a quick kiss on the smaller’s  cheek.

 

Hyukjae smiled softly. “You are here finally” But all of a sudden, something came cross his mind and Hyukjae looked around in caution. “Where are your parents?”

 

“They didn’t come here” Before Hyukjae had time to ask more, Kyuhyun continued. “Let’s dance, baby”

 

Hyukjae took the other’s presented hand and bit his lip, asking hesitantly. “But… what if the others find out?” He would love to dance with his boyfriend, especially on this beautiful song, but other people might see them…

 

“It’s okay, just one song, alright?”

 

Seconds later, they were hugging and swaying their bodies together to the music on the dance floor. Kyuhyun’s hands sneaked around the other’s slim waist while Hyukjae circled his hands around the taller’s neck. They both looked lovingly into each other’s eyes.

 

The rooms hush hush, and now’s our moment

Take it in, feel it all and hold it

Eyes on you, eyes on me

We’re doing right…

 

People around them started to notice their presence. They were whispering. But the couple, once again, chose to ignore. There were only two of them in their eyes.

 

Hyukjae looked down and leaned against his boyfriend, burying his face into his firm chest. He just wanted to enjoy this moment.

 

All the years, they had to be discreetly in love, always living in the fear of being caught together, afraid that their relationship might affect their family’s honor in some way, scared as once their relationship came into light, they would be forever separated. They had been putting up with so much pressure and agony. Why couldn’t God let them lead a happier life?

 

“We had a fight” Kyuhyun said shortly, but enough for Hyukjae to understand that he was referring him and his parents.

 

There was silence before Hyukjae opened his mouth, head still hung low. “Was it about us?”

 

Kyuhyun didn’t response but Hyukjae knew the answer perfectly. It was not as if this hadn’t happened before. Once again, they both kept silent, unsure of what to say. Hyukjae closed his eyes out of tiredness, letting out a deep sigh.

 

Suddenly, I’m feeling brave

Don’t know what’s gotten into me

Why I feel this way

Can we dance, real slow?

Can I hold you, can I hold you close?

.

.

Do you think we’re ready ‘cause I’m really feeling it…

 

“Hyukjae, I think I am ready” said Kyuhyun, making his boyfriend snap his eyes open.

 

“Are… are you sure?” Hyukjae looked deeply into the other’s brown orbs, only to find determination filled in there.

 

“I am. I really want to be with you, no matter we are rich or poor, whether our love is approved or not. The only thing that matters to me is that you are by my side. I want to us to be officially lovers, to be free to express our love, to spend each and every day together. But that is impossible here. Let’s run away, Hyukjae”

 

It was not the first time running away was mentioned in their conversations. The truth was that they had been thinking of it, wondering what could be the right time to do so. If Kyuhyun had brought it up weeks ago, Hyukjae would have definitely declined as back then, there were too many things affecting them: their family, their friends, their education,… But now, after so many tears and fights, misery and desperation, Hyukjae finally found a way for himself. He finally found the courage to leave everything behind so as just to be with the taller.

 

He slowly nodded then stared at Kyuhyun, eyes reflexing the same determination as the other. “Yes, Kyuhyun, let’s run away together”

 

That night, for the first time, they kissed in front of everyone, not minding the gasps and yells. The young couple pulled back and smiled softly. Now everyone knew. But it no longer mattered as Kyuhyun took Hyukjae’s hand and they both walked away.

 

This life was theirs and they wouldn’t let anyone else decide on what they should do.

 

“Because this love, it is all about US