The Surgery.

Fix Her, Kyungsoo

 

Authors Note: Yipee! I finally got back on here after two years.. I suddenly remembered all the fanfiction I used to write and decided I should finish this fanfic once and for all because I can't leave yall hanging forever! The next 3 chapters are going to be the last chapters of this fanfiction and I hope I do not disappoint!

++++++

Third person POV.

Since the Promise, a month had already passed. The past 30 days were Kyungsoo's check-ins, to make sure the donor's tissues match the making of Kyungsoo's heart. Hundreds of blood tests passed and Kyungsoo near felt like a deflated party balloon. He lay upon his bed, peering in wonder through the small, square window above him. He had specially requested for his hospital bed to be placed right where he could glimpse the world from the security of the hospital. Most days he would spend hours just staring outside, thinking. Nurses and Doctors sometimes grew curious about what he would be imagining in his mind, neither they nor Kyungsoo really knew. Perhaps he was imagining what life would be like without the broken heart that he carries, how much he misses running out in the sun with his beloved Eunji, or maybe he is simply just thinking of how green the grass is and how the breakfast he had that morning was a tad bit bland. Nevertheless, Kyungsoo's days never seemed truly completed without the daily window-gazing. 

It was 7:30 in the morning and Kyungsoo was once again lost in a complete trance into the window. A nurse tentatively stepped into his room and tapped on the door frame. 

"Mr. Do, Miss Eunji has stopped by again."

Kyungsoo snapped his eyes towards the door upon the name of his beloved. He immediately latched his vision on his princess standing in the entrance and his eyes sparkled. Eunji was dressed so simply. She wore a pair of knit black leggings with a giant grey t-shirt with the quote, "Cupid kills with arrows." Kyungsoo's heart softened as he realized that the shirt she was wearing was none other than his own shirt, and his favorite shirt. 

Eunji beamed upon looking at him, "I missed you so much Kyung." She hurried over to catch his embrace while he was sitting on his hospital bed. 

Kyungsoo chuckled and shook his head at his girlfriend, "You saw me last night."

She buried her face in his welcoming chest, breathing in and catching a waft of his scent. 

"Kyung... Overnight is a really long time because... Well, you know..." 

Because your surgery is tomorrow,  and you might quite possibly die. 

She thought the last part to herself as she shifted a bit in his embrace, nuzzling herself deeper into his arms. Kyungsoo grew silent as he let her words remind him of the surgery he tried so hard to forget about. Gently running his fingers through her hair, he gave Eunji a delicate kiss on the top of her head, silently swallowing a tear that tried to ease itself out. 

"Yes. I know."

Eunji pulled away and met her eyes with Kyungsoo. The two sat like that for what seemed like eternity to Kyungsoo. He cupped his hand on her chin and lifted her face closer to his, catching her lips with his.

The two kissed gently with heart-wrenching emotion, slow movements that echoed their loss, love, and sorrow all at once. Kyungsoo's heart ached as the kiss went on; however, he clenched onto his hospital sheets to ignore it and continued to lock lips with Eunji. Eunji noticed how tense Kyungsoo was getting, and she gave him one last kiss before she pulled away, quickly wiping away a tear that escaped her eye. 

"Are you ready for tomorrow Kyungsoo?"

He looked towards her, searching her eyes, trying to figure out what was going through her mind. 

"I'm... Not so sure."

 

+++++

All at once, the 'tomorrow' came faster than Eunji could breathe. 

Today was the day. 

She entered Kyungsoo's hospital room with her heart pounding in her chest, and with her blood pulsing in her ears. She hadn't had any sleep since the day before. That day was the day the love of her life, would go into a dangerous and elaborate surgery to replace his malignant heart tumor. She walked over to Kyungsoo's hospital bed, her heart beating out of her chest in anxiety, her fingers shaking at her sides. 

Kyungsoo saw her walk in, he sat up from his bed and reached out his hand to grab Eunji's. 

"Hey beautiful..." 

Tears welled up in her eyes almost instantly, she couldn't look into Kyungsoo's eyes as salty tears started to pour down her face. The sound of his voice, the tenderness of his voice, was too much for her to bear. Without a word, Kyungsoo pulled her close to him, bringing her head into the crook of his neck. 

"It'll be okay...I promise." He swallowed the lump forming in his throat before continuing, "I love you so much." 

Eunji took deep breaths and pulled away, wiping her tears away with her back of her hand. 

"I love you so much more Kyungsoo."

At that moment, a nurse stepped into the room. 

"Sorry to interrupt Mr. Do, its time for the surgery. Are you ready?" 

Both Eunji's and Kyungsoo's hearts dropped, the color rushing from both of their faces. It was time. 

The two turned to face each other, they both understood what the other was thinking. Without turning his eyes away from Eunji's face, Kyungsoo swallowed hard,

"We're ready." 

+++++

Long time no see yall! 

I hope this chapter wrenches you heart because it sure wrenched mine right open. 

Sorry for going on hiatus for 198473 years T-T I hope yall are still around. 

See you next time! 

- exoexoverdose